Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Was cycling from Dundrum to Churchtown, stopped at the junction at the Bottle Tower pub. Green arrow comes on to turn left, I stay stopped. Green light to go straight comes on, I move on. Car comes from behind and cuts me off.

The driver gives me a "what the f**k are you doing" gesture. I shouted I had the right of way.

Driver: It was a green arrow, it was a green arrow for me
    Me: It was green for me to go on straight
    Driver: It's not. No it wasn't, it was red. It's red, look at the lights. It's red.
    Me: I have it on camera. Do you want to pull in and we'll have a look?
    Driver (as they drive away): It was red, it's red, it was red......

So annoying. I feel like going to Dundrum Garda station later and showing them the footage, just so they'll call down to the driver and tell them they were in the wrong. Nothing worse than someone in the wrong going away thinking they were right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Was cycling from Dundrum to Churchtown, stopped at the junction at the Bottle Tower pub. Green arrow comes on to turn left, I stay stopped. Green light to go straight comes on, I move on. Car comes from behind and cuts me off.

The driver gives me a "what the f**k are you doing" gesture. I shouted I had the right of way.

Driver: It's not. No it wasn't, it was red. It's red, look at the lights. It's red.

So annoying. I feel like going to Dundrum Garda station later and showing them the footage, just so they'll call down to the driver and tell them they were in the wrong. Nothing worse than someone in the wrong going away thinking they were right :rolleyes:

Used to cycle that route regularly and had similar happen a lot. I used to move right out into the "driving" lane coming up to the junction to stop it.

I don't know if it's the light sequence or just inattentive motorists but I got to hate that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Not a nice experience.

And unfortunately there is a lot of rage out there-got overtaken at very close quarters the other day by a John Deere behemoth who then brake checked me...

As a club mate told me a few years back, it’s no good and a pointless exercise being the guy in the right up in Beaumont Hospital...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Update in relation to the chap that was hit by a driver in East Wall...

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1404808412286754816

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It says a lot when foreign police forces actively criticise examples of bad driving here when my last memory of AGS commenting on an example of bad driving was to defend the drivers by moaning about data protection...

https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1405040503553466368

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Came to post that.
    Gardai - We don't want to know, GDPR something something
    Foreign Police Force -

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dont forget the driver is entitled to their good name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hurrache wrote: »
    Came to post that.
    Gardai - We don't want to know, GDPR something something
    Foreign Police Force -

Gardai don't want to know but yet when there has been an incident that they are interested in they are all of a sudden in the media asking for Dashcam footage etc.. I know they may be major incidents and lives could have been lost, but all the same they can't pick and choose when they want the Dashcam/Camera footage. Either it can always be used or never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Another hit and run today I think it was in which some scumbag hit a cyclist, that's the third within a week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I had my 10 year old out for a spin today we kept to back/quiet roads but there's one busier stretch just that's unavoidable. There's a short stretch of it maybe 150m on it consisting of a couple of bends and the road is narrow with a single white line. The bends are pretty much blind and if someone tries overtake then meets an on coming car they pull in on top of you or even if they don't meet a car they're so eager to get back in lane usually close pass and cut in sharply. Anyway we went 2 abreast with myself on the outside and I can feel how close the car behind has gotten, she goes for the overtake, pulls along side and while driving on the wrong side of the road around a near blind bend starts shouting at us that we're causing an obstruction, are a danger on the road and making her drive around a bend on the wrong side of the road!! She was actually risking an accident to tell us off and prove a point of some sort crazy stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

TrafficWatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Narrowly avoided a more serious left-hook this afternoon. https://streamable.com/1f1rrj

Someone driving such a large SUV should really have a bit more awareness of those around them. Especially in a built up area with a clear cycle lane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd go to the gardai with that.

Not excusing that but no f'n way if knew the road there would I be in that cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

More and more I'm thinking I should invest in a camera for my bike, both from seeing these clips and my own experience. What are the best cameras at the moment? Budget preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

VonLuck wrote: »
    More and more I'm thinking I should invest in a camera for my bike, both from seeing these clips and my own experience. What are the best cameras at the moment? Budget preferably.

This has excellent quality, less than €100 from amazon.de. [I hate buying from Amazon, but was the only option here].

I had to tone down the quality from 4k to 2.7k to extend the battery life to more than an hour.

https://apemans.com/collections/action-camera/products/apeman-4k-60fps-action-camera-a87-touch-screen-20mp-wi-fi-eis-8x-zoom-remote-control-sports-cam-40m-waterproof-underwater-vlog-camcoder-with-mounting-accessories-kit-and-carrying-case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was out for a run on the old n11 today by Jack whites. Driving back to campsite came across two cyclists going hard. They still had time to signal though. Didnt over take as was interesting seeing them going hard. Their awareness of the road going hard was impressive.

On the country road came across another big group. Didnt over take as about 13 in group and wasnt safe. Again it was interesting to observe their speed and technique.( I know nothing about it but like watching the sport)
    Only two things to note here, some were 3 a breast leading to one on the wrong side of the road and its bending road Also none signal, just suddenly stopped in middle of road for going right. Some had Bray cycling tops.

Some drivers behind me got impatient but there was nothing they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

This has excellent quality, less than €100 from amazon.de. [I hate buying from Amazon, but was the only option here].

I had to tone down the quality from 4k to 2.7k to extend the battery life to more than an hour.

https://apemans.com/collections/action-camera/products/apeman-4k-60fps-action-camera-a87-touch-screen-20mp-wi-fi-eis-8x-zoom-remote-control-sports-cam-40m-waterproof-underwater-vlog-camcoder-with-mounting-accessories-kit-and-carrying-case

Could you post a picture of it on the bike and as to how inconspicuous it is. Looks like it has one of those additional plastic cases to protect it from the elements which are cumbersome looking and surely a pain. Would it fit under the saddle reasonably well.
    Was thinking of getting a gopro sessions before despite battery life being an issue as it's a nice tiny unit but then they ceased production.
    Sorry for derailing the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you hang the go pro mount style mounts under the handlebar they are nearly invisible to passers by, you can also get saddle rail ones from Bike components.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just getting back into group spins again. About 15 of us out today. Noticeable difference in aggressive and careless overtaking. Had one tool in a range rover come against us on a narrow country lane well in excess of the speed limit. We're talking a lane with grass in the middle. Started beeping when we didn't get out of his way. Didnt even ease off the speed as he skimmed past.

Another white van came against us, driver flashing and giving us the fingers as he passes. Several beeping and aggressive overtakes many of which were into incoming traffic- blind bends, single white lines, traffic calming - didn't seem to matter. I got separated from the group at one stage so had a couple of cars between me and the group. Driver tried to stop me passing by moving left and right when I moved to overtake. Brake checked me a few times. Some loony tunes out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Anyone here in a Bahrain jersey, going through Naas today? Not the most awful of near misses, but some pretty stupid driving. I was in the car, behind said Bahrain cyclist from the bottom of Ballycane hill to just after the traffic lights on the Dublin Rd. Fella in the car behind me was getting pretty impatient, so overtook me and the cyclist, across a solid white line, into oncoming traffic shortly after the Kilcullen roundabout.

Cyclist was, quite rightly, unhappy

Could you post a picture of it on the bike and as to how inconspicuous it is. Looks like it has one of those additional plastic cases to protect it from the elements which are cumbersome looking and surely a pain. Would it fit under the saddle reasonably well.
    Was thinking of getting a gopro sessions before despite battery life being an issue as it's a nice tiny unit but then they ceased production.
    Sorry for derailing the thread.

Why don't we take it over to this thread and not drag this one off topic?

Why don't we take it over to this thread and not drag this one off topic?

No need to be so short with the guy. He did apologise after all. Plus that thread was from January so not exactly one you're going to stumble across!

Anyways, it was my doing because I asked about cameras to capture near misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had a very close pass on the cycle track from Stamullen to Gormanston this afternoon. Ford Transit mini-bus - wheels were inside the cycle track when she passed. The mirror brushed my shoulder. Gave me a right startle. She turned into the next housing estate so I followed. She was totally dismissive and unapologetic when I spoke to her. She claimed (worryingly) that she hadn't passed any cyclist on her route and that I was making it up and more or less told me to go away. (The mini bus was full of children with special needs).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fair play for going after her.

VonLuck wrote: »
    No need to be so short with the guy. He did apologise after all. Plus that thread was from January so not exactly one you're going to stumble across!

Anyways, it was my doing because I asked about cameras to capture near misses.

Honestly, you think that was 'being short'?

?u=https%3A%2F%2F66.media.tumblr.com%2F223a5d1db7acd087350474e83b6997b8%2Ftumblr_pdmc76kL8G1xch6xgo1_400.gifv&f=1&nofb=1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

link removed - see mod post a few posts on

Read the replies, the individual in the van is apparently a real piece of work.

Yeah despicable individual. Bit more on on the road rage incident here https://irishcycle.com/2021/06/19/witnesses-sought-after-road-rage-incident-on-dublins-south-circular-road/

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

5uspect wrote: »

Allegedly. All that can be gathered that he is similar name, age and occupation. It doesn't give evidence that he is.
    Thankfully the criminal said some anti-semetic words thus highlighted the abuses cyclists face in the media.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »

I'm always wary of Twitter posts like that. A completely innocent individual's life could be ruined because of trial by social media. In all likelihood the incident did play out as she said, but why can't they just let the Gardaí deal with it? If they need to post something online, at least blur out anything that might identify the person or the company he works for.

Advertisement