Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

5uspect wrote: »
    This happened this morning. :mad:

WTF can you do with these people? They're a danger to everyone.

Holy f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

What did she say in response? I couldn't quite catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You were very calm about it, though I'm sure that was with the shock.

I'd of being telling the driver of that oil burning D4 tractor that you are going to call the gards and you have it on camera, instead the BMW driver just went on without a 2nd thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

That's one of the worst I've ever seen, I'd 100% be going to the guards

Is that covered by Donnybrook or Rathmines? Heads up, if it's rathmines, in my experience you'll need to be very persistent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

buffalo wrote: »
    What did she say in response? I couldn't quite catch it.

She just said ‘sorry’ a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

She just said ‘sorry’ a couple of times.

That's not good enough, there was nobody in the lane coming against her & she'd never have overtaken a car that close, also seemed a lot faster than the speed limit there. Someone like that needs to be taken off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Insane indeed - showing very typical Ranelagh - taxi driver at Nick's Coffee was a contributor to your near-death experience. Then a white van at Supervalu and the florist's van joining forces to make sure you don't get comfortable.
    Is that covered by Donnybrook or Rathmines? Heads up, if it's rathmines, in my experience you'll need to be very persistent.
    Donnybrook for Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Got hit this morning.

Was heading in to town on the Howth road when an oncoming car made a right turn on to the stiles road and t-boned me. Someone had stopped to let him make the turn but he failed to check for bikes in the bike lane.

Had a good few close calls at this spot with traffic pulling out in front of me so was already being wary on approach.

Have it on camera and will be reporting the guards. Can't post link as am new to the site.

Got all his details except mobile number. He claimed he was disabled and can't use a phone. Surely that's not a thing if he's allowed drive a car?

Hope you're okay. Have you seen a doctor? If you do want to share the video just post the alphanumeric code from the end of a YouTube URL, after the / and before any &. I upload my videos unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqfbgfYYT4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Lads with all the stuff about big claims in the media, if a car hits me can I make an injuries claim off their insurance?

Was talking to a lad today who was in a small enough tip in his car and ended up with bruising and soft tissue damage. He ended up with a nice cheque. He said he basically just gave the insurance company medical records and they offered him money.

Years ago I was knocked off my bike and ended up similar and never did anything. In theory could I have, similar to how it works of someone crashes into you when you are in a car?

juicer wrote: »
    Got all his details except mobile number. He claimed he was disabled and can't use a phone. Surely that's not a thing if he's allowed drive a car?

Sounds like a bit of a shaggy dog story - hope you're OK, and great that you have it on camera - should be a big help with his insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lads with all the stuff about big claims in the media, if a car hits me can I make an injuries claim off their insurance?

Was talking to a lad today who was in a small enough tip in his car and ended up with bruising and soft tissue damage. He ended up with a nice cheque. He said he basically just gave the insurance company medical records and they offered him money.

Years ago I was knocked off my bike and ended up similar and never did anything. In theory could I have, similar to how it works of someone crashes into you when you are in a car?

Yes of course you can, that's what's it's there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

CramCycle wrote: »
    The exit has to be clear to enter a yellow box, as cdaly was saying, going straight or left means you will drive straight through. Turning right is not an exemption, it's just that even if your exit is clear, your ability to exit may be impeded, hence you can 'sit' on the yellow box. In the other two scenarios, you should never need too.

I'm not sure I quite understand this.

For a right turn, is the idea is that you may enter and sit on the box whilst awaiting oncoming traffic to clear BUT once that traffic has cleared, you must be able to execute the turn and move off the yellow box so that the junction is not blocked?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not sure I quite understand this.

For a right turn, is the idea is that you may enter and sit on the box whilst awaiting oncoming traffic to clear BUT once that traffic has cleared, you must be able to execute the turn and move off the yellow box so that the junction is not blocked?

Pretty much, you can enter the box once your exit is clear and likely to remain so. For a left turn or straight through you go in and come straight back out. Potentially with a right turn, the exit may be clear but you may not be clear to make the turn due to oncoming traffic. Since your exit is clear, you can enter the box, and once it is not dangerous (ie no oncoming traffic), you can complete the maneuver.

That's one of the worst I've ever seen, I'd 100% be going to the guards

I reported it to Traffic Watch, lets see if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

What's the response time on hearing back from the Garda? I'm waiting 8 weeks now since making a report via traffic watch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Keep on them as that was absolutely desperate and, to be honest, you were incredibly lucky.
    After being fobbed off my my local station, I recently emailed AGS about how I could submit a video. I was told the following by a chap in the DMR Roads Policing Division...
    "You can send an email with the attached video to the Superintendent’s office in your locality. May I ask where your local Garda Station is so that I can provide you with this email address?"
    I emailed back saying that my local station was leixlip and the response was "You can contact Leixlip_DS@garda.ie with any relevant details of your issue"

I had a very close pass late last year on the N4 (it's in the old thread) and there was a Garda car just at the next Pertrol Station 200m down the road. He gave me a similar address for the Lucan station and I dutifully send on the video and never heard anything again. I figured that with Traffic Watch there might at least be some accountability.

Couple of years ago I had a close pass in Castleknock and I emailed the station and the responding Gardai was extremely helpful and gave the offender a verbal warning. So it's pot luck really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

[ YOUTUBE]ZzqfbgfYYT4[/YOUTUBE]

I wonder could you make a 'vehicular assault' claim against her insurance? Citing the endangerment and stress etc. If nothing else, it would mean her insurance would likely go up next renewal...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I wonder could you make a 'vehicular assault' claim against her insurance? Citing the endangerment and stress etc. If nothing else, it would mean her insurance would likely go up next renewal...

I've no interest in that. I would however see the close pass law enforced.

I would however see the close pass law enforced.
    ...for the first time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Insane indeed - showing very typical Ranelagh - taxi driver at Nick's Coffee was a contributor to your near-death experience. Then a white van at Supervalu and the florist's van joining forces to make sure you don't get comfortable.

Is there legal provision to attribute a portion of blame to the taxi in that situation if the cyclist was hit? So many of these near misses and collisions are caused by the poor behaviour of "unrelated" third parties forcing people into dangerous situations. A dangerous driving or god forbid a manslaughter charge on some of these guys too would soon see changes in behaviour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

benjamin d wrote: »
    Is there legal provision to attribute a portion of blame to the taxi in that situation if the cyclist was hit?
    i suspect not, nor should there be. you can't use someone else's bad behaviour as an excuse to drive badly yourself.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Is there legal provision to attribute a portion of blame to the taxi in that situation if the cyclist was hit? So many of these near misses and collisions are caused by the poor behaviour of "unrelated" third parties forcing people into dangerous situations. A dangerous driving or god forbid a manslaughter charge on some of these guys too would soon see changes in behaviour

I have a vague memory of blame being apportioned in an international case where a cyclist was killed - Italy perhaps? I haven't heard of it happening here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

i suspect not, nor should there be. you can't use someone else's bad behaviour as an excuse to drive badly yourself.

I'm clearly not saying that the BMW driver in this case is any less to blame if the cyclist was hit, what I'm asking is if there is or should there be a similar assumption of criminal fault assigned to the taxi driver in this case over and above a simple 'parking in cycle lane' if that action directly contributes to a criminal outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Did you hand signal that you were going to pull out and vear at least 3 meters across the road in front of a faster moving vehicle ?

A cycle lane is a separate lane, so in effect you changed lanes in front of another vehicle at short notice.

A cycle lane is a separate lane, so in effect you changed lanes in front of another vehicle at short notice.
    Are you sure about that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Did you hand signal that you were going to pull out and vear at least 3 meters across the road in front of a faster moving vehicle ?
    at least 3 metres? i assume you didn't watch the video so. plus, he left the cycle lane approx four seconds before the close pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Cycling home outward past phibsboro around 3.30 and coming up to Harts Corner.....in the bus lane....guy in a 4x4 goes past on my right and cuts into the bus lane into my path.

I proceed to tell him at the traffic lights that he should not have done that

He said he was 10 foot ahead of me and called me a snowflake.

He simply just didn't get it

Advertisement