Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

A 'Police' car in Dundrum? I didn't know the PSNI operated so far south!

Apologies smacl - just one of my pet hates. Years ago at work, i was asked to report to the 'Police Station' in Swords. I never made it there and am still searching for it! :D

Isn't it in the airport? Where the Airport Police hang out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see the issue - An Garda Siochana is the name of the irish *police* force.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in certain parts of Dublin they are probably called the Feds, Yo!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Whereabouts was this?

Coming from Intel towards Celbridge. I usually come off the cycle track about 100m before the roundabout, through the roundabout on the road, then back on cycle track on far side.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

buffalo wrote: »
    Coming from Intel towards Celbridge. I usually come off the cycle track about 100m before the roundabout, through the roundabout on the road, then back on cycle track on far side.
    Yeah, I was wondering it was along there. Complete clusterfupp junction if you use the cycle paths. Somehow traffic coming from Intel towards Celbridge doesn't know what lane to be in and enter the roundabout in the left lane despite them taking the third exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

silverharp wrote: »
    the skinny is, better not to change lanes to pass cyclists

I've seen some of his videos previously and while they can be a bit righteous and even cringey with him staring at the camera from the driving seat this recent one certainly needs more action from the police. I do agree with him on all points made, bloody infuriating:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Christ almighty.

That's crooked altogether.

Got be the police looking after their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

BTW the chap isn't consistent.

Here he is advising full use of lane 2 when overtaking a cyclist on 2 lane road

https://youtu.be/FkKQPBkQOJw

I stopped watching when he said "submitting"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

WhereTF was she even trying to overtake to? . There was no space...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

i don't see the issue - An Garda Siochana is the name of the irish *police* force.

Me too, really don't see the point in pedantically pulling someone up when everyone knows what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yeah, I was wondering it was along there. Complete clusterfupp junction if you use the cycle paths. Somehow traffic coming from Intel towards Celbridge doesn't know what lane to be in and enter the roundabout in the left lane despite them taking the third exit.

For anyone else:

On the road, requiring one yield as you come on to the roundabout: https://goo.gl/maps/pGkdbYvA2QkSuLzv6

Or on the cycle track, it's:
    * cross on-ramp from dual carriageway to motorway, traffic going 80-120km/h from around a bend, not even a warning sign for drivers that people are crossing ahead.
    * cross on-ramp from roundabout to motorway, watch for drivers not using their indicators as they come off.
    * cross off-ramp from motorway to roundabout. This one's not too bad, as drivers have to yield anyway, but good luck if you think they're going to leave a gap behind the car in front to let you cross.
    * cross road from roundabout to Castletown House/HP. Again, just watch for drivers not using their indicators, but it's quiet enough.
    * cross road from Castletown House/HP to roundabout. If you've made it this far, it's easy!

KCC and the NTA are 'looking into it', or something similar. It's a primary route in the NTA GDA network.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

Yesterday at the church in shankill I took primary position from the pedestrian lights because I was turning right up ahead at the roundabout towards the village. Some fella raced up behind me and then sat on the car horn from there and all around the roundabout. He then bullied his way past me on shankill main street.

I ended up catching up with him at the Bray roundabout so his antics didn't have any impact on his journey time. Some lunatics out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

A 'Police' car in Dundrum? I didn't know the PSNI operated so far south!

Apologies smacl - just one of my pet hates. Years ago at work, i was asked to report to the 'Police Station' in Swords. I never made it there and am still searching for it! :D

I was curious about this... turns out the Irish for "police" is póilíní

So I guess Ireland doesn't have a police force, just a guard force, like Iran

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mrcheez wrote: »
    I was curious about this... turns out the Irish for "police" is póilíní

So I guess Ireland doesn't have a police force, just a guard force, like Iran
    We have Guardians of the Peace (An Garda Síochána)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

buffalo wrote: »

ah yeah, I don't mix with the dual carriageway there. It's a hassle even when driving.I use the cycle lane up to the first crossing for the Dublin slip lane, then join the roundabout in the main lane. The availability of offroad cycle lanes is great, but that series of roundabouts from leixlip to celbridge are not thought out. and the new layout at Intel makes it clear that cyclists and pedestrian routes were an afterthought in planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

We have Guardians of the Peace (An Garda Síochána)

Otherwise known as "Ireland's national police and security service" - but still technically wrong to talk about 'A' police car (even although the care would belong to an organisation that are responsible for policing..)..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Drake66 wrote: »
    Yesterday at the church in shankill I took primary position from the pedestrian lights because I was turning right up ahead at the roundabout towards the village. Some fella raced up behind me and then sat on the car horn from there and all around the roundabout. He then bullied his way past me on shankill main street.

I ended up catching up with him at the Bray roundabout so his antics didn't have any impact on his journey time. Some lunatics out there.

How did he respond when you addressed his behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

MojoMaker wrote: »
    How did he respond when you addressed his behaviour?

I didn't bother to be honest. He seemed like an aggressive sort and I didn't want to spoil my ride with an argument

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I get so much hassle going through Shankill, I do wonder would the motorway be a safer option. Between overtakes with oncoming traffic, overtakes up the short hill before the roundabout, pulling out in front of me on the roundabout, no one knowing how to indicate, overtaking coming up to one of those islands even though the only space in front is what I like to refer to as braking distance to the car in front. Same as you, its rare you don't catch them in Bray or before the N11.

• Advertisement

I didn't bother to be honest. He seemed like an aggressive sort and I didn't want to spoil my ride with an argument

I know, it can be difficult.

But this way, the chap has learned nothing and likely will not change his behaviour one whit. So now it's someone else's problem. The next cyclist's I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I know, it can be difficult.

But this way, the chap has learned nothing and likely will not change his behaviour one whit. So now it's someone else's problem. The next cyclist's I guess.

Why are you assuming the motorist is unaware of the ROTR? the chances are the motorist was just being an ass and knew exactly what he was doing and wanted to intimidate the cyclist to get out of his way.

In my view their is little to be gained from challenging these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Why are you assuming the motorist is unaware of the ROTR? the chances are the motorist was just being an ass and knew exactly what he was doing and wanted to intimidate the cyclist to get out of his way.

In my view their is little to be gained from challenging these guys.

I agree that the motorists most likely knew exactly what he was doing.

I disagree that there is little to be gained. It's a form of bullying, and standing up to bullies makes things harder for them next time. Even if you get no sensible response from them this time, they are less likely to repeat the assh0le behaviour if they have been challenged on it, one way or other.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Had one on Thursday 7th, and couldn't comment until the migration was over.

There was a lot to get angry about with it. Not just the needlessness of it, not just the danger I was put in, nor my poor reaction to it, nor the fact that this guy works in the same place as me and could do what he did surrounded by the same constant exhortations to 'safety culture' as I am.

It was all that and I forgot to run my cameras that morning.

Last leg of my journey to work, I come off the cycle path and join the road just after the roundabout here. There's no street view of the new road layout, so for those who don't know, there are two lanes off the roundabout to the traffic lights at the next junction; the left lane goes straight to maynooth, the right lane splits into two right-turning lanes to enter the industrial campus. I am going to the industrial campus.

I check the roundabout approaches and join the road when it's clear, then enter the right turning lane, and stay in it when it becomes the central lane. The lights ahead are red for turning right, but green for straight. There is one car stopped at the red filter in the central lane ahead of me. There is a completely clear lane to the left of me. There is a completely clear lane to the right of me. The central lane is empty for 180m between me and the car at red light.

All that space and what does our hero do?

Pulls in on top of me from the left like he was going to drive through me.

It was like I wasn't there. I saw red.

A man in a white pickup in the left lane, slowed down with the window down shaking his head and said something to me but I didn't hear it - he seemed shocked - but I waved him on.

I caught up with our hero and I broke my rule about not engaging. I was ready to climb through his passenger window. I stopped before I touched his car, and tapped my bright green helmet instead, saying "could you not f**kin' see me?". He rolled down the window, looking puzzled, and I had a second to calm myself, and said "there was no need to do what you did, you had a clear lane there, and plenty of room ahead of me to pass-" when he interrupted "You shouldn't be there, you should be-" at which point the light changed green, he pulled off and I never found out where I should have been.

So I called him a dozy c*nt and left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Full gambit here from Tuesday. Crossing a solid white line into oncoming traffic and passing too close. I hit the rear wing with the flat of my hand so she took umbrage and brake checked me. Up the road she wanted my name to report me to the Guards for 'kicking' her car. Seriously thinking of reporting this one

Anyway, enjoy...

I have another two from yesterday on the camera too. Must be the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Up in donegal at the moment and getting in a few spins in - staying off the main roads because they're narrow and motorway speeds are common place. My god the driving up here is crazy. Anyway myself and my 14 year old son went out for a spin on some of the local R roads which are quiter. We had an elderly lady come against us on a single track road at speed- she didn't even ease off, forcing us into the ditch. She was oblivious to us.

But that was topped by what I can only describe as a horrific close pass on a narrow bridge on the N56 near falcarragh. We had to use a few hundred meters of this to get across to the next R road. A van passed us on a continuous white line into traffic at the start of the bridge. I was aware of another car behind us and knowing he had no chance of making a safe overtake, I stayed out and beckoned to him to wait - we were on the bridge at this stage and there's a blind sharp corner ahead - but he steamed on through. The car coming against us had to stop and the overtaking car swerved back in abruptly, almost clipping my son in front. It all happened so fast I didn't get a reg plate and didn't have my bike camera with me. A horrible experience

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

On the N81 just after brittas this morning some clown decided to over take small group if hadn't off slowed down he would of hit me head on or had to take out the group have a cheap dash cam hopefully I'll be able to pull the video from it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Glad you're both safe. Maybe leave the spins until you get back home? Or leave the son at home, doesn't seem worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement