Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

This probably doesn't belong here, but I'll post it and see.

Cycling with a mate, two abreast, straight road, broken white line, no on coming traffic.

Guy overtakes us perfectly, uses the opposite lane fully, plenty of space before and after the manoeuvre, but still feels the need to beep and gesticulate wildly at us.

Baffles me

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume that he was complimenting your road positioning by making it a shorter distance for him to overtake. Well done for being so considerate to other road users @cletus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was he driving a ten to fifteen year old passat with a nurburgring sticker on the back?

(as an aside, i was out yesterday evening and it was quite noticeable, the amount of modified passats, BMWs, etc. out on the road. motorists probably out for a drive in the good weather)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Nope, he was a middle-aged man in a Hyundai i30, or something similar. I was too busy watching all the frantic hand movements to clock the make and model

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I love it when you catch up with those guys at the next lights and ask them politely WTF they were on about, and watch them splutter and flap around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not cycling, but the wife was driving on the N2 on Sunday up to Monaghan. We couldn't fathom the quite mental overtakes that were happening on some sections. Particularly close to slane and Collon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Saw a cyclist down at the side of the N11 just after the Kilmac turnoff northbound. Gardaí were there so I'm guessing hit and run. Hope he's okay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had what may have been a really close one tonight. southbound on the R130 (about 5 or 6km south of garristown) and as i'm approaching sam dennigan's (which is a big fruit and veg distribution centre) a car passed and pretty much instantaneously indicated left, probably 10m from the entrance to the place. if he'd actually taken the left into dennigan's, i doubt i'd have had any time to do anything except plaster myself into the side of his car; according to strava i was doing somwhere between 35 and 37km/h. as it was, i think he copped 'oh ****, i just passed a cyclist', and drove straight past it (indicator still flashing). he floored it, and only about half a kilometre later i passed him doing a 180 at the next junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Once you get past Ardee heading north, all bets are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A mate of mine cycles substantial sections of the N2, anywhere between ashbourne and carrickmacross, regularly.

Personally I think he's insane. Especially with the nearby options all the way along

After a spin a few weeks back, I was looking at the fly-bys and one lad I passed had headed off and did a number of loops along the Naas Rd near Kill. Rather him than me!

i drove to wicklow and back on saturday. i was surprised at the number of cyclists on the N11 between coyne's cross and kilpedder.

Not quite a near miss but when I was out yesterday, the driver of an oncoming Merc decided to overtake a jogger travelling same direction as me but who was (correctly) on the right hand side of the road. This meant that on the narrow road (The Lords Road near Celbridge), she was now coming directly towards me (although she did slow down considerably).

When passing, I, in my usual courteous way, referred to her with a rather undignified term.

However, it was only when I had passed them both, that it occurred to me that the jogger may have thought I was saying it to him...

Anyhow, I stopped at the end of the road for a drink and he caught up and I apologised again but he seemed to completely agree with me. When editing the video, I let it continue to the speed gauge thing as I'm happy with that speed there as I travelled into the breeze on such a hot day ☺️

Anyhow, to get back to the near miss theme, would she have made the same move if it was her child coming towards her on a bike?

Vintage Seth potty mouth 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

In fairness, there is a limited, but rich vocabulary that is applicable to that situation. So you're just being efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not sure about what?

She shouldn't have tried overtaking when there was oncoming traffic (me).

You reckon he should have moved further out to make it more obvious to the oncoming vehicle that they needed to stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The obstruction is on the motorist's side, not a whole lot to disagree with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bit of a childish one from me today, I was driving out of Maynooth and there's 500m of bad bends before Carton. There were 3 cyclists and a taxi ahead of me. The taxi was on their rear wheel itching to push past but the guys held the lane and he had to wait for 30 seconds to pass he blew them out of it when passing gesticulating out the window at them to move in and I saw red. I passed them safely and caught up to him doing 55 in a 80 he had his window down so when it was clear and safe I started to pass him once I drew along side I blew the horn he nearly jumped out of his seat 🤣. I completed the move and returned his gesticulations well he lost his reason blowing the horn and making more gestures and flashing lights. He must have gotten some fright as he had his high beams and hazards on until I turned off. It was a bit silly of me but it did feel good to be able to return after being on the receiving end so many times!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If I pass cyclists whilst in the car leaving plenty of space, and I see a driver behind me not do the same, I actually slow down a small bit under the limit. It really wrecks my head that they are that desperate to get past

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had two people do this last night, I was slowing for the red light (I was actually catching up with the car in front until the light went red and I let off the gas). Guy beside me gave space but he couldn't even get past before we had to stop for the red light. I don't think he even understood how pointless/stupid the manoeuvre was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pants wetting territory this afternoon.

Airport south runway near the long term parking. Hoofing along with the wind. A car overtakes a van coming the opposite way. Not necessary, not going particularly slow. Moron I thought.

It was the car immediately after though, that decided I was an obstacle to overcome. Laughing nd beeping at me.

Northern reg, no camera today unfortunately

One of those those that could've very easily ended badly

Lookit, don't be cycling on the runway, that's never going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I found a company that does custom HiVis jackets. I copy and pasted the Garda logo from a Garda jacket and changed it to GRADEA

Would anyone here chance their arm using it? What would the consequences be? The Gardaí would have to prove your intent to impersonate.

What about GADRA (sic)?

there is a genuine organisation called gadra, but i think it'd be a bit of a push to make it look like a garda vest.

I often thought of what would happen if you had a flashing blue LED light on the front (you can get them). Dodgy overtake and hit the button to switch it on...... there's a you tube channel in the making there if there isn't already 😂

"Why did you stop?"

"You pulled me over"

"I'm not the Gardaí fool"

• Advertisement

Not my video - just spotted on Twitter...

Advertisement