Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The van's reversing lights come on at the end.... doubt it ended in agreement

Also the yellow regs have been obvious in their piss poor driving lately.

(I appreciate that the white regs reciprocate north of the border)

There's a 3 series goes from m1 at duleek to leixlip/maynooth couple mornings a week with an absolute death wish

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently the driver tried to reverse, couldn't, so went on ahead before turning.

I've also noticed an increase in the twat-ish-ness of some yellow plate drivers recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i usually found them worse in the evenings, i.e. when they're on their way home, probably after a day on a site here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

What a shocking junction yet another case where the presence of a painted lane actually makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a close one in Drumcondra road the other day. Baby in the front of cargo bike. I'm heading into town, passing junction of Richmond road. Car coming out of town turns across my side of the road to go down Richmond. Could have waited, but it wasn't too bad. Car behind just follows him, without looking to see if anything is coming. I swerved and braked, and he braked. Then he just had a dumb grin on his face. First really close call with the baby on board.

Really need to get a camera mount sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cycling home this evening on Aston Quay (not long after O'Connell bridge) where I always take the lane due to the poor road surface and with busses pulling in and out. Traffic was pretty heavy and more or less at a standstill but that didn't stop a taxi in a big Ford Tourneo (van/people carrier) from pulling in on top of me. Despite two rear lights and the fabled high vis he kept coming to within inches so I slapped the side of the van to alert him of my presence as if he hadn't seen me already.

He took umbrage with this leaning on the horn, 10 meters further with both of us stuck in traffic he then got out of the taxi, grabbed me by the arm and punched me in the shoulder. He was threatening further assault for hitting his van as he said but at this stage pedestrians were saying something from the footpath. I was in cleats with one leg clipped in so pretty immobile so just gave him a few verbals and said to expect a visit from the guards.

A short stocky hothead who was behind me all the way to the council buildings where the cycle lane opens up and he was left behind in traffic.

Get a reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yea, noted the reg and checked his details Vs the Check Driver app which checks out.

He didn't have any fare on board at the time either which I think would strengthen a complaint to the taxi regulator.

Good on the pedestrians!!! Nice to know you aren't totally on your own in a situation like that with someone threatening you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Make sure you refer to 'behaviour' under S64 (b) of this Act in your complaint; http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/act/37/section/64/enacted/en/html#sec64

And make it clear that you're not asking them to enforce traffic law, as they'll try to fob you off on Gardai - stick to the behaviour issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Nice Sierra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We organized a club spin in the wicklow hills on Saturday. About 10 of us. Wow, long time since I've been up there but my god the amount of man children on the roads seems to have increased exponentially over the past one and a half years since I was last there.

1. Leaving blessington, heading south on the N81, we're only on the road 5 minutes (just after 9 on a Saturday morning) when we get our first beeper. We're tipping along at 30kph odd, two abreast, nice and tight and the tool behind us want's to overtake. He's duly ignored, but must have leaned on the horn for 500 - 700 yards before overtaking us into traffic on a continuous white, while still laying on the horn.
    2. Had numerous crazy passes over single / double continuous / over bridges and into blind corners white lines at various points. Couple of drivers coming towards us on narrow roads and refusing to ease off , even when we singled out. That's pretty normal now.
    3. Coming into Roundwood, we have a random driver scream " w@nkers" from his rolled down window as we rolled in for a coffee. The ironic thing was roundwood was choked with traffic, mostly people in single occupant cars all trying to get in an out of the centra and cafes in the middle of the town. Had a driver pull out fro ma side road in front of oblivious on his phone. But hey tiktok is probably much more interesting than watching out for traffic.
    4. We singled up heading out of Larragh towards the wicklow gap - another beeper, who decided to skim the whole group while overtaking at speed, meantime his passenger leaning out and roaring abuse from the passenger window. I was sure he was going to push one of us. Cars behind also thought it's be a good idea to follow suit and overtake close to the group into oncoming traffic. So back into 2 abreast we go to prevent this and ignored the resulting beeps when cars coming behind were "held up" all the way to the wicklow gap.
    5. Further down the road, a motorist stopped a T-Juntion heading out of the wicklow gap was stopped - we were indicating to turn up the gap. He was turning left, so we were in no way interfering with his use of the road - "get off the fcking road" says he as we pass. Charming.

Unfortunately no camera on the bikes, but zero chance the guards will do anything about the above. Seems to be normal behaviour at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

That’s a depressing read and man/woman children is indeed the perfect word for these people. Overgrown babies comandeering heavy vehicles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a bike accident but I rarely post anywhere else, waiting at lights. Lights went green but as per usual, yellow box is clogged with light jumpers so the car in front and myself wait. Car behind sees the green light and goes for it and hits my car so hard it hits the car in front (which was a metre away). As I sit there hating the fact that I drove today rather than cycled, I got out and it was all very civil, although the guy behind tried to unintentionally blame me, saying that I didn't move. He then said he couldn't see me with the glare in his eyes from the sun. I bit my tongue, took photos, Gardai said it sounded civil so they were not coming out. Guy would now prefer to pay for all the damage which if it was just me, I'd consider but with another party involved, I am just handing it over to the insurers.

This is why I don't hug the kerb anymore, ever, anywhere

I'm in the middle of the lane regardless of where I am. Its the only thing that prevent muppets trying dangerous overtaking into oncoming traffic and it leaves me space

I get called all sorts of names but at this point its too dangerous not to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

nope Irish law is different and very strict while being vague. If you appear to be anyway confused with a Gardai it is an offense. If you do it intentionally they will come after you for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Careless driving and a modest fine. Would have liked to see the prosecution proceed on DD.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, how the hell did manage to keep that upright??? 😧

He then went on to say something in the order of "we all make these mistakes every day when interacting with cyclists" and continued to struggle hopelessly to make it sound like a "these things happen" defense.

FFS, the cretin!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

To me that's an unarguable case of dangerous driving, although I'm not well up on the law. He got off very lightly. Fair play to you for holding it together.

that's righttobikeit in cork, not me, FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Commuting home along the buslane of a congested N4 on Friday evening, I was greeted with the usual hostility that existed in pre-pandemic times. Drivers illegally using the bus lane felt they had priority over someone legally using it (me!). The skoda completely took me by surprise but the dickhead in the white car was just out to have a bit of fun by endangering me. Bear in mind that I'm on a flatbar hybrid (doing an average of 32km/h according to Strava) so you're taking about centimetres between me and him.

When he pulled up alongside me with his passenger window down, he was shouting about how I should be using the cycle lane (the irony!) but each time when I told him to pull away from me he responded with "what are you going to do about it?". I'll tell you what, sonny, I'll be reporting you to my local station for careless driving, that's what!

44 seconds, did they deliberately block you from going up the inside there? Sure looks like it.

Not the first dacia I've seen driving like a dick lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Dacia moved closer just as his right side was clear so he could have easily moved over to his correct lane. With that sort of traffic there's no room for any bus lane users to pass safely so I'd be further over for my own protection. He has no business being in the bus lane so I don't know why he's trying to police it and give out only to then block the bike lane, what a baby. It's funny it's always the pricks who shouldn't be in the bus lane giving out about cyclists.

That bike lane isn't great either. Lots of harsh bumps and dips, debris, frequent pedestrians etc. Not ideal at higher speeds.

Advertisement