Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

at least 3 metres? i assume you didn't watch the video so. plus, he left the cycle lane approx four seconds before the close pass.

+1. Anyone who thinks he moved off his original line by >3 metres seriously needs an eye checkup.

Apart from that, in order to continue his progress (due to the parked taxi in the cycle lane) he actually moved out very smoothly and predictably which is exactly how we are supposed to drive/ride. The car would have been still well behind when he finished adjusting his line.

If the driver did any sort of reading ahead of the road (also how we are suppose to drive) she would have seen a lack of space developing in front of her and would have eased off to let 5uspect get through the tighter part safely. That's a courtesy that drivers extend to each other all the time but it apparently becomes beyond many people as soon as a bike is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

juicer wrote: »
    Got hit this morning.

Was heading in to town on the Howth road when an oncoming car made a right turn on to the stiles road and t-boned me. Someone had stopped to let him make the turn but he failed to check for bikes in the bike lane.

Had a good few close calls at this spot with traffic pulling out in front of me so was already being wary on approach.

Have it on camera and will be reporting the guards. Can't post link as am new to the site.

Got all his details except mobile number. He claimed he was disabled and can't use a phone. Surely that's not a thing if he's allowed drive a car?

Hope you're ok after that. I was very close to having a similar incident coming home via Howth Road this evening only 200m from where you were hit. A car turning into Ashbrook was very close to t boning me.

3rd incident I've had on that stretch this week. 1 was a driver who overtook me and left hooked straight away to sit at an automatic gate and wait for it to open. I approached his window and he kept telling me he was ahead of me and did nothing wrong. The other was a guy who undertook a car turning into Stiles Road and entered the cycle lane to do so just as I was about to pass him. Of course he didn't indicate.

I see no reason why a lot of that cycle lane couldn't be bricked to stop cars from entering it but it won't happen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Did you hand signal that you were going to pull out and vear at least 3 meters across the road in front of a faster moving vehicle ?

A cycle lane is a separate lane, so in effect you changed lanes in front of another vehicle at short notice.

3m? Really? I agree, you need your eyes checked.

I think you’re confusing the cyclist doing the veering with the one in front of me. As always, I looked over my shoulder and signalled well in advance, but she was travelling much faster than expected and was clearly not paying attention.

I cycle this route everyday and have to navigate countless vehicles parked illegally in compulsory cycle lanes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

5uspect wrote: »
    I cycle this route everyday and have to navigate countless vehicles parked illegally in compulsory cycle lanes.
    Just to pick up on a term you used: the solid line along the cycle path indicates a mandatory cycle lane (not compulsory cycle lane) which means that it is mandatory for cars to stay out of them.
    Only contra-flow cycle lanes are compulsory. You can legally cycle outside of all other cycle paths.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did you hand signal that you were going to pull out and vear at least 3 meters across the road in front of a faster moving vehicle ?

A cycle lane is a separate lane, so in effect you changed lanes in front of another vehicle at short notice.

What video are you watching?

Lets put your statement into the real world of facts.
    3 metres would have put him across the white line.
    Veering implies suddenly, in the video he is already moving out at 2 seconds, gently and expectedly with a clear obstruction in his way.
    I do not know if the poster indicated, we will only have their word one way or the other but the one thing we do know is that the intention was clear, any reasonable road user should have seen it as what was about to happen and 2 seconds before the overtake, they are already fully out. There is no indication that the driver slowed or took account of the cyclists position, which they should have done as not doing so is driving without driving due consideration.

The long and short is the driver was speeding, not paying attention and there is nothing else to say IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

3 meters would have had him in the opposite lane facing oncoming traffic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just to pick up on a term you used: the solid line along the cycle path indicates a mandatory cycle lane (not compulsory cycle lane) which means that it is mandatory for cars to stay out of them.
    Only contra-flow cycle lanes are compulsory. You can legally cycle outside of all other cycle paths.

Ah yes, you’re right, I used the wrong word. For some reason I’m not thinking straight today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect that was a driveby post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

What worries me about this post, is that had 5uspect been hit, or even brushed and came off resulting in injury, would gardai or a court think the same? Maybe not the 3 metres part, but the “well you did move out” bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I cycle the same route every day. She was clearly going too fast and wasnt paying attention in a narrow stretch of road thats usually full of pedestrians, cyclists and delivery vans.

Utterly inexcusable. She should lose her license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

TBH that pass in Ranelagh looked to me like a punishment pass rather than being inadvertent, to teach you a lesson for pulling out in front of her and getting in her way. Especially as she pulled back inside the central line so quickly.

appropriate action is taken internally

ROFL at this one from DB in response to Suzanne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    ROFL at this one from DB in response to Suzanne

Standard response, that and "please complete our webform" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Jesus that was the closest I've ever seen without contact, with that bmw driver. The camera probably makes it look further than it was in real life.

A note for those that say he shouldn't have moved out.

He was in a cycle track. It is not a lane of traffic so he doesn't have to yield to cars coming from behind. Any driver passing a cyclist on the right while the cyclist is on the left is overtaking. The driver must do this without inconveniencing the cyclist or else they have committed an offence.

The bmw driver did not show any anticipation for the hazard facing the cyclist.

License should be gone. She was inches from taking his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

3 incidences on my way home

1) delivery truck parked on double yellow/ bike lane...cycling parallel to the right hand side of the lorry and as I start to over take a car comes from behind to overtake me driving inches from my back wheel...pulled up beside him at the traffic lights and he says I should be in the bike lane. I say what about the lorry parked in it.....no response

2) going past law library up to the lights to the start of constitution hill, green light......guy in van coming from opposite direction decides now is the time to turn right forcing me to skid to a halt in the middle of the road .....completely oblivious to me.

3) passing past phibsboro shopping centre through junction towards Harts Corner, guy in 5 series BWW decides "screw this traffic" I'll pop into the bus lane but screw checking my mirrors or blind spot for the cyclist right beside in the bus lane.

3 incidences in 7.5 km of cycling

micar wrote: »

1) delivery truck parked on double yellow/ bike lane...cycling parallel to the right hand side of the lorry and as I start to over take a car comes from behind to overtake me driving inches from my back wheel...pulled up beside him at the traffic lights and he says I should be in the bike lane. I say what about the lorry parked in it.....no response

2) going past law library up to the lights to the start of constitution hill, green light......guy in van coming from opposite direction decides now is the time to turn right forcing me to skid to a halt in the middle of the road .....completely oblivious to me.

3) passing past phibsboro shopping centre through junction towards Harts Corner, guy in 5 series BWW decides "screw this traffic" I'll pop into the bus lane but screw checking my mirrors or blind spot for the cyclist right beside in the bus lane.

So that's a good day's cycling then, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Slowing down to make a right hand turn having signalled myself and car behind me proceeds to overtake me on the wrong side of the road and on a stretch of road where two cars would struggle to fit through.

Realized just as I was about to make the turn that they weren't slowing down let alone stopping so stopped myself.

Local Garda station who I normally find to be decent had zero interest in listening to my complaint.

Next time someone pulls a stunt like that I'm going to be sorely tempted to see if I can catch them and take it out on their paintwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Slowing down to make a right hand turn having signalled myself and car behind me proceeds to overtake me on the wrong side of the road and on a stretch of road where two cars would struggle to fit through.

Realized just as I was about to make the turn that they weren't slowing down let alone stopping so stopped myself.

Local Garda station who I normally find to be decent had zero interest in listening to my complaint.

Next time someone pulls a stunt like that I'm going to be sorely tempted to see if I can catch them and take it out on their paintwork.

Thats a really ignorant and highly dangerous stunt. I’ve had it a few times happen and it leaves me angry for the day . Essentially it’s risking your life.
    Doesn’t surprise me about the cops attitude either unfortunately.

You look behind , indicate in plenty of time but hey I’ll pass you on right and possibly hit you too - but I’m in a rush....!

Interesting find for the day, in an emergency, Schwalbe Marathons provide insufficient grip to stop a collision if someone pulls out in front of you. Managed to scrub enough speed so that I was almost stopped but it was close. One thing I'll say though, driver fully admittted fault and apologised immediately. No harm was done and I appreciated the honesty. We left on good terms. Said he has no idea why he done it, wasn't intentional, he said it was like his mind just didn't process the situation right and he cannot figure out why he done it.

By the colour on his face, or lack there off, I think he learnt his lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Ronaldinho wrote: »

Have had this happen twice as I am just about to make a right turn into work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Interesting find for the day
    he pulled across in front of you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Interesting find for the day, in an emergency, Schwalbe Marathons provide insufficient grip to stop a collision if someone pulls out in front of you. Managed to scrub enough speed so that I was almost stopped but it was close. One thing I'll say though, driver fully admittted fault and apologised immediately. No harm was done and I appreciated the honesty. We left on good terms. Said he has no idea why he done it, wasn't intentional, he said it was like his mind just didn't process the situation right and he cannot figure out why he done it.

I swear they're partially responsible for my fractured elbow.

I find it hard to get angry with the rare breed of individuals in this country who will own their own mistake. 99% of the time in life you meet the common garden variety idiot who will go the offensive or lie when they **** up.

Not my tweet, but a reasonably accurate reflection of typical experiences when cycling in Dublin;

https://twitter.com/garlittle/status/1216758249338347527

One really stupid response to that...
    "Driver is in the wrong chasing him like that. But all cyclists should wear hi-vis jackets. I never go out without one day or night."
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

micar wrote: »

When having those conversations with non-cyclists, I often say that my life is endangered by a driver at least once every time I head out on the bike. You can tell they never quite believe me...
    Probably similar to everyone else here, I honestly believe that but for my own ability to read the road and plan at all times for drivers to do what I least want them to do I'd have been seriously injured or killed by now.

Edit: And yet I still wouldn't drive to work if you paid me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Nearly wiped out here last night around 7.

I was in the bike path - a Beemer came up the filter on the left as I was passing and just kept going. There's a stop sign which they ignored.

Lyzyne Deca Drive, flashing Cree, Hi Viz Jersey and full street lighting are no match for complete lack attention and inappropriate speed.

I managed to escape without coming off by swerving right out onto the road (from the bike path) but for a few seconds it was touch and go. Any traffic behind me and I would have been toast.

Advertisement