Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

They are wrong for not checking mirrors, you are wrong for undertaking there

I'd chalk it down as a lesson learned and be glad its not worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I wouldn't be so sure about wrong (if you mean in a legal sense), it certainly wasn't sensible with the benefit of hindsight.

Legally I can't see how you would have the right of way there

I certainly would never leave myself in a situation where a car is outside me at a junction, I mean its impossible to stop someone overtaking you and turning, but that is exceptionally rare , but I would never move up the inside unless I can be sure I will be ahead

The bollards do make it worse there as you can't take the lane which is what you should do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And I wouldn't normally either but as I said I was distracted trying to figure out where I s supposed to go next and continued on where the layout was directing me. The combination of poor layout, lapse in my self preservation checks, and the driver not checking mirrors before crossing the track didn't play out well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Legally a cyclist is perfectly entitled to overtake on the left, except in certain situations none of which were occurring here according to the only witness we have.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/112384088/#Comment_112384088

• Advertisement

Just because a person broke the law by not indicating doesn't mean this person can overtake left turning cars legally on the inside

It's like this, I indicate to turn left and you pull out in front of me, who is at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

😂 Did you read the linked extract from the SI? That's literally what it says. Overtaking on the left is legal "except where the vehicle to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the left".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a cycle TRACK. Not a lane.

Cycle Track Edge Line, RRM 022

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So in the eyes of the law, a bike lane basically doesn't exist and you're essentially just passing on the inside. So worst case scenario, a cyclist isn't being careful and gets hit by a left turning car at least there's a responsibility on the driver to ensure it's safe to turn, regardless of who has right of way etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cycled 90 mostly great km today. 63 around north Dublin and then I had to drop stuff off to folks and a friend in Dublin 15. In about 5 mins I had 3 dopes nearly take me out, 2 by deciding they wanted to get into my lane very suddenly and without any indication and another a taxi driver who wanted to buzz past me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

closest i've come to a self inflicted pratfall in a couple of years this morning. managed to leave the road at about 30km/h and drop into a churned up muddy rut left by cars, maybe two inches below the road surface at the side. just about managed to hold it upright as i came to an undignified halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Side swiped/left hooked this morning by a grey Renault Traffic van at the junction of Arran Quay and Church Street. When facing a red light would cross the three lanes of traffic and continue on the segregated cycle lane but when the light is green I continue on straight and cross at the next junction. Clipping along at about 30km/h with a green light the van comes parallel and pulls across me (no indicator either for that matter), no option but to turn with the van or I was down and under. Two rear lights and covered in the fabled high vis of no use if as I suspect the driver was on the phone or just a moron. Clipped my hand and despite a roar and slapping the side of the van he still turned left and drove on up the road without stopping.

Call logged now with traffic watch with the reg details whatever may come of it. Have cycled that section of road hundreds of times and never a problem previously specifically there, occasionally the odd Bus Eireann driver tries to intimidate once past the Church St junction when taking the bus lane.

Post edited by Dr_Colossus on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jesus, that's a hit and run, and the driver could face jail time unfortunately I suspect you will hear nothing other than "its your word against theirs". I would contact the local station if you think there is CCTV around, as it will be long gone by the time Trafficwatch get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Awful situation Dr C, hopefully you are doing ok. CCTV would be great, or if somebody with a dashcam was aware they might have recorded it. More incentive now to get a camera for my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Is it just me, or are Dublin 15 drivers a tad worse than drivers in the rest of Dublin? (Not sure whether your 3 dopes were in Dublin 15 but I do seem to encounter more crap driving there than elsewhere in Dublin).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2nd time a deliveroo cyclist has nearly crashed into me in a week today as they were crossing illegally in all kinds of ways

Definitely seems that way when I'm cycling through Mulhuddart, a lot of my close calls are towards the end of my commute around D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I raise your D15 a Louth and I double raise my Louth with Donegal mad men

there are certain car regs where i would automatically trust the driver less when i see them. maybe there are a lot of cork reg cars on the road, or maybe people driving cork reg cars are worse than average, but in the interests of self-preservation, i behave as if the latter is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’ve always found Dublin 15 to be one of the worst parts of Dublin for volume of traffic. I think drivers get frustrated and angrier in general as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was close passed earlier by a fella who evidently had left his Christmas shopping a little late this year. He overtook me at speed in the bus lane going past DCU inbound on the Ballymun Road. He then rejoined the main lane and proceeded to do the same average speed as me the entire way to Phibsborough, where I overtook him and didn’t see him again. Only he did it by tailgating the car in front of him and sitting on his brakes the whole way 🤷🏻‍♂️

Merry Christmas everyone, be safe!

also on the ballymun road today (we were in the car) - the lights went red at the pedestrian crossing near the supervalu, and the chap in the white focus in front of us shimmied around the car in front, whose driver had probably already come to a stop, and floored it through a red which had been red for probably four seconds. a couple of people had already started to cross. i keep meaning to buy a dashcam; that's a set of lights whose only function is for a pedestrian crossing, so it was clear who'd have been given a green.

someone else nearly took me off the bike at the next junction up a couple of weeks ago.

Had 3 close calls in one day about 6 weeks ago, just very close passes, while out around Athlone. Each one scared the living crap out of me.

After the third I decided to permanently take the middle of the lane regardless. 100% of the time, I'm in the middle of the lane. I've done this in the past on certain roads but now it's every road, every street, every day, every time.

Zero close passes since as it forces drivers to wait and overtake safely rather than trying to squeeze through.

Do I get honked at? On a daily basis.

Do I care? Not a jot.

Do I feel safer? 1,000,000%

Right in front of the health centre too. Loads of elderly people and kids crossing there the whole time.

Motorists get angry about doing this but it literally makes no difference. If it's safe to overtake they'll have the full lane on the other side of the road to pass so it doesn't matter if you're in the middle or the side of the lane. A car would take up the full lane and you need to go into the opposite lane to pass so there's no issue other than hating cyclists. I just don't get it. The amount if people who refuse to cross the lane marker to pass cyclists when the opposite lane is clear is mind boggling.

in this case, it was a couple who were not that steady looking on their feet, so they were slow to get crossing. would have been closer had they been more more agile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The drivers that honk at you are the sh*t ones. They're angry because you've disrupted their normally sh*t driving and momentarily forced them to act like a decent driver would.

Competent drivers won't be put out at all by what you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I was sent this on WhatApp so can't credit the original poster.

A close pass of a different kind, I'll think twice next time I'm passing Weston! edit: Just in case its not actually Weston but somewhere in the US I guess.

https://streamable.com/3w1yzc

Advertisement