Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

droidus wrote: »
    Yup, the bigger the car the bigger the c*nt.

https://twitter.com/karlstanley/status/1217863730584793090

I'd be taking a snap of his insurance disc, and email the pic above to them referencing his policy number plus some helpful supporting docs like a google map of the street and signage denoting the contra flow bike lane.

Probably wont have any effect but might give these toerags a bit of unease if they know their f**kology is being reported directly back to their insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Cycling down Swords road yesterday in the morning a taxi driver decides to "overtake" me just as we were coming to red lights by the nursing home. Inches away from me and then stops. Did exactly what the RSA say went in front of him and took the entire lane so he wouldn't try to pass the same way. Continue on with him beeping as we approached the next set of lights which were also red. He literally had no where to go but kept beeping.
    He then rolled down his window shouting at me until another driver beside him rolled down his window to tell him to shut up. Absolutely no where for him to go either time. Wish I had video but I still await my super helmet with built in cameras and distance sensors. I hope it is precise so it can be used to say how close a pass is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Duckjob wrote: »
    I'd be taking a snap of his insurance disc, and email the pic above to them referencing his policy number plus some helpful supporting docs like a google map of the street and signage denoting the contra flow bike lane.
    might be worth tweeting one of the insurance companies to ask how they would respond to such an email?
    however, i suspect their response would be that it's not actionable, and even 'a customer breaking the law does not necessarily put us at higher risk of having to make a payout' - even though penalty points on your licence is used as a metric for how safe a driver you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

might be worth tweeting one of the insurance companies to ask how they would respond to such an email?
    however, i suspect their response would be that it's not actionable, and even 'a customer breaking the law does not necessarily put us at higher risk of having to make a payout' - even though penalty points on your licence is used as a metric for how safe a driver you are.

I had a warm response from Axa when I emailed their fraud dept about drivers doing commercial work in private vehicles. I've no idea what follow up they did, but they seemed to welcome getting the info. Let me know if anyone needs the email address.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm more exercised by people doing personal business in commercial vehicles. which is more of a tax issue than an insurance issue, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had a warm response from Axa when I emailed their fraud dept about drivers doing commercial work in private vehicles....
    They may have already notified their insurers. I am sometimes required to use my car for work duties (and I don't mean travelling to and from work). My car is private and my insurance policy is private but my insurance company have been notified.

If anything, it's probably costing them more as they are not benefiting from commercial tax, VAT rebate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i'm more exercised by people doing personal business in commercial vehicles. which is more of a tax issue than an insurance issue, really.
    I'd say 99% of taxi drivers are guilty of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I never come into these threads but I had the absolute worst close pass I've ever experienced this morning. Bus Éireann, 07 D reg between Trim and Navan. Overtook on a solid white line at the motorway fly over without any part of the bus crossing the line. He flew past so close and fast that the draft pushed me about a foot sideways and I nearly took my buddy out of it with the handlebars.
    I'm not letting the prick get away with this. Professional driver? My hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Near miss with a seagull this morning :D

F*cker decided to take off from his perch on a wall here and shot straight across in front of my face - wings made contact with my chest.
    Big wobble but just about stayed upright.

At least I gave the commuters walking from the Dart something to laugh at on a Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Near miss on castleknock road this morning.

https://goo.gl/maps/7TMPWySMeEpCEWj6A

I'm travelling towards the phoenix park, guy in a landcruiser pulls out from Georgian village on my right. He pulled across the opposite lane, saw me and stopped. Then presumably saw cars behind me, so decided to gun it, right into my path. Left a roar at him and he looked genuinely startled, but I'd held eye contact with him - he knew exactly what he was at "ah just some fella on a bike".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My own one today (NSFW) - understandable as I touched the side of the van, they were that close.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mc Love wrote: »
    My own one today (NSFW) - understandable as I touched the side of the van, they were that close.

That's one for the gardai. Looks like he didn't even cross the solid white line.

That's one for the gardai. Looks like he didn't even cross the solid white line.

Yup and an email with a link to the video to the company.

https://mungreteng.com/contact-us/

Some good news in relation to close passes...

https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1219396718896336897

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

re above, can you submit videos to traffic watch or will they just send you to the local garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Thud wrote: »
    re above, can you submit videos to traffic watch or will they just send you to the local garda station?

You report incident to TW, they contact local station, investigating Garda from the station will then take the footage.

...and another ignorant idiot is spotted on camera...

https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1219568639705305089

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Had my obligatory close pass from a Swords Express on Gardiner Street this morning. Absolutely pointless as there was nothing coming from the other direction and I was only going to catch it at the next junction, which I did.

Asshole I assume saw me coming and pulled over to block the cycle lane and me. I went around him it, made eye contact and the fact he was watching me made me certain he knew what he done with the pass and purposely pulled into the cycle lane. Just made the taking a photo sign at him and pointed beneath my saddle and he nodded at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You report incident to TW, they contact local station, investigating Garda from the station will then take the footage.

Will you get a pulse number or should I ask for it?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Will you get a pulse number or should I ask for it?

I don't actually remember from my last time as it's a good while ago. I'd say if they don't offer then ask for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I never got a pulse number for either of my issues, but i didn't specifically ask.

I think the best way to go is to report through trafficwatch because, from what I understand, it's on the Superintendent's metrics then, and the assigned Garda will have incentive from both you and his superior to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

How long has it taken to get a response? I reported an incident to traffic watch 10 weeks ago and nothing back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

It varies. My first one, 6 months before I was asked to give a statement. That has gone to court, but i don't know where it is in the process right now.

My second, I had a statement taken within a week, and all done in two.

Might be worth calling your local station to see if there's an update or see if anyone has picked it up, say you are keen to come in to give a statement.

Kander wrote: »
    How long has it taken to get a response? I reported an incident to traffic watch 10 weeks ago and nothing back yet.

Yeah mine took 3 months for the Garda to get in touch, gave a statement the following week, another 6 months before it got to court.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had one on Saturday. Cycling on Griffith Avenue, not much traffic. Had the lane, as people, even with their 3-4 car driveways like to park on the road (communities not corridors they want) al the way up.

Car coming out from one of the houses. Looked right, not sure if they see me, they're kind obscured as the parked cars are blocking their view. Looks left. No cars coming. Looks right again. This time I'm sure they see me, just as I'm about level with them they decide now is the time to make their turn. Only I felt they were going to do something stupid I somehow avoided them in a show of reactions and balance that I didn't think I had. Not so much a wave of an apology. All that and they parked on the road a little bit up from where they were exiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Slightly OT - can anyone recommend a decent sub-50 quid handlebar-mounted camera? Nothing too fancy, just for the daily commute.

coming up newtownpark avenue about 15 or 20 minutes ago, someone in a black BMW decided to pull out of a side road and into the cycle lane as i was passing. missed me by about a foot; we were both going slowly at that stage but i genuinely would not know whether it was deliberate or accidental on their part. they probably were still asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Fupping Airport Hopper this am, 3 coaches pass me within 30 secs the first and last gave me the whole lane but not the middle guy driving the airport hopper didn't even cross the line and was well within a metre in an 80kph zone and the road was plenty wide to give me space. Caught up with him in Leixlip and he made out like he had no idea what I was on about so am wondering if he even saw me. Will check the camera when I get home and see if its worth pursuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Slightly OT - can anyone recommend a decent sub-50 quid handlebar-mounted camera? Nothing too fancy, just for the daily commute.

I have this and it has been reliable for me for the last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3ZKDR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I specifically wanted the extra attachments so you might be able to get the same model camera a bit cheaper just by itself. Battery life is about an hour per charge.

Advertisement