Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

He had another decent video up there in the last week about people cutting corners etc. interesting watch.

The driver is the lucky one apparently

Driver has lucky escape after car overturns in Co Longford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Driving coming the other way is the lucky one if that's the standard. That's completely mornonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

How unlucky, driving along minding their own business and their car just overturns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

"Car overturns" is a nice way of saying idiot driver not paying attention to where they're going crashes into stationary object directly in front of them and flips car as a result of their own actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm sure there'll be outrage in the press about the Longford incident (***sarcasm***).

Anyway, this spot in Dublin has turned into a favourite left hook spot for some motorists - ironically, it seems to have gotten worse after the recent cycling infrastructure improvements, which is not in the google maps street view.

Usually, someone speeding up the bus lane coming from Park Gate Street is a sure sign they intend to left hook here, and this morning was no different - the impatient motorist had obviously let his quota of one cyclist pass on the cycle lane, which excluded me and a few others whom he's overtaken in the bus lane, left hooking the guy in front of me, who had to swerve to avoid the car. I braked sharply to avoid contact. I've seen 2 or 3 cyclists clipped here in the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Same as below from a few weeks ago, hardly same car, 141 silver prius? Rang TrafficWatch and reported the driver at the time and also called Bridewell station a few times but was unable to get past the operator so email the station also but still haven't heard anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jebus, coming from Sandyford to Clonskeagh this morning. While crossing the M50 I had an Audi with kid in front seat drive wide around me and then cut into get to the back of the queue. I imagine I got through the next lights 6 to 10 minutes before them for all their rushing. The few T junctions onto the Clonskeagh road had the usual, I am unable to turn into my own lane so I'll block the cycle lane and mount the kerb a bit as I turn right. Finally as we passed the goat, the bike in front of me had not one, not two but three drivers pull out in front of him. One was a kids school bus, who sort of shrugged as if to say, what else was I going to do. I don't miss commuting in Dublin, people just don't give a f*ck. Parents dropping kids to school being the main offenders, the ones you would hope to be slightly more aware of the vunerable road users all over the place. Topped it all off by a 151 BMW coming through a car park in UCD at 70 kmph, again driving their kid somewhere, I didn't even have time to shout as I jumped out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I was halfway across a pedestrian crossing (bike lane to bike lane) with the 3 year old on the bike and a mammy on the school run drove straight through.

I gave a roar and she looked back gormless. I was fully aware it could happen, kids would have no chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss, but descending off howth head today, a guy in a white van parked on the right hand side of the road in front of me pulled out, clearly knowing i was there, but rather than waiting for me to pass, decided to accelerate to get past me. without giving consideration to the fact that i was already doing probably nearly 50km/h. so i ended up with the van driving alongside me for maybe 200m, desperately trying to accelerate past me, before he had to hit the brakes because of oncoming traffic, and tucked in behind.

• Advertisement

Witnessed a pedestrian take a glancing blow of a car this morning, lucky not full bumper and got ktfo from hitting the ground. Driver hadn't a chance, the man on drink or drugs or both ran straight out into the road as he was passing with zero warning. Driver and witnesses pretty shook and the guy comes to and hops straight up as if nothing had happened telling the guy checking for a pulse and breath to get his hands off him. I kicked on as there were plenty there but wasn't 2 or 3 minutes before I met the ambulance, crossed my mind as to how willing a passenger they'd meet.

It was some time later I recalled an incident I got involved in months ago when a guy walking in front of me one evening in the same spot gave me cause to hang back due to how he was walking, read looked out of it on drugs or booze who then went 90 degrees hard right into the road from the footpath all of a sudden. Taxi driver nearly hit him and got out to get into it with him shoving him. I let a roar at the taxi driver to get his hands off him and he came over to me ready to get into it me then until I explain to him I was only looking out for him as if he'd hurt that guy or he'd fell after the shove and hit his head he'd be the one in that ****. Can't be 100% but I'd be fairly certain it was the same guy who got hit today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

That happened to me years ago. I was filtering along St. John's road back when it was two driving lanes. Some junkie popped out from between two cars right in front of me and we both ended up on the road. Though he was the one who got up and was looking over me saying "asreye aaaaalllriiiiiih buuuuud?"

Anyway, we were both fine, bike was minded by someone from Heuston station until I collected it later that day.

No dark coloured. Will keep an eye out for a repeat offender and maybe call Traffic Watch, for what it's worth. Anyway, not to be outdone and on the same day, I had a left hook literally on top of me at the Porterstown Road on the way home. I seem to be on a run lately, or maybe I need to get my see sense lights checked out.

https://goo.gl/maps/8mw5bDpWXoueWLLbA

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes I agree, regular medical certification for all drivers would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Deleted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

something in the air about stupid overtakes. i was overtaken, across a white line, into oncoming traffic yesterday where it was blatantly clear there was ample overtaking opportunity ahead. if the driver had waited literally just two seconds, he wouldn't have scared the **** out of the oncoming driver.

This morning was reminder that drivers simply don't give a sh!t about us cyclists, no matter what you do to ride assertively, be more visible, signal your intentions.

https://goo.gl/maps/3px1hCH3qPr2p9vF9

This morning it was the turn of Karen in her Toyota SUV. As I was approaching the roundabout, travelling a jot over 30kph, I looked over and signalled right to merge from the bus lane to a single lane through the roundabout. Karen was a bit back, but Karen wasn't having any of it - she actually accelerated to cut me off through the roundabout, brushing off me as she did. Let a roar so loud that it spooked the lady walking beside the roundabout (sorry!) but Karen just continued, looking blankly ahead as if I wasn't there. My voice is sore from the yell I let at her. I was hoping to catch her at Laurel Lodge - there's usually a queue of cars there but alas she's managed to get through the lights and join the queue through Blanch to the M50 - probably just as well

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

something in the air about stupid overtakes

Seems to be. Not a near miss I suppose, but I had an aggressive driver try to bully me off the road on Saturday.

I had pulled up centre lane behind a taxi and another car to wait for these lights in Finglas to turn green. A driver came up behind me and started beeping for some reason. I didn't even bother turning around to see what was beeping.

Lights go green and I move off, beeping continues. This blue jeepy thing overtakes me (more beeping) and then cuts back into the bus lane in front of me making some hand gestures only he could understand.

He'd managed to get around me within 100 metres of the junction so I wasn't delaying him. Plus it was ~11 am, the bus lane was in operation.

Shows how a "perfectly good" cycle lane (which is over 12 years old at this stage 🤯) can cause problems even if you're not using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Right, thats it, I've done it. I've bought a helmet camera because it is now at the stage where I'm in the middle of 2/3 near misses and 'light hits' a week.

I commute between UCD and DCU daily, through the city centre and it seems inevitable in the area between the 5 Lamps (northside) and the RDS (southside) that I'll be driven into the footpath, side swiped, near-missed or roared at. I'm tired of it, but will not go back to car/moped travel.

Is there someone we are lobbying to have a reporting facility available for incidents? I'm kind of late to the cycling commuting community, but can see myself becoming very active.

Today's incident was quite amazing. On Portland Row there was a car parked (in the bike lane) and as I approached it a taxi pulled in ahead of me and stopped adjacent to the car, literally hemming me in. I knocked on the window and shouted/gestured to the driver to move forward/backward to let me go. He refused, saying that his pickup was in the house we were sitting outside. A few more choice words ensued, and he was insisting that I could get out past him despite the fact that my handlebars would've taken his and the adjacent car's wing mirrors off. More shouting and then I eventually got off the bike and lifted it over the top of both cars. What the actual F like. I, admittedly came in a bit hot, but his first move was to pen me in and not look anywhere around him?!

Anyway.

i used to commute from near DCU to sandyford, and i never went near the five lamps - i went down griffith avenue, past east point business park, over the east link and out strand road from there. if i'd been heading to UCD i'd have swung up through trimleston and woodbine, might be an alternative route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Do you have Netflix? That new series Dahmer is pretty good, and I'm sure it'd be a damn sight more entertaining than what you're at here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

How far back does traffic have to be behind you before you're allowed indicate and move lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭standardg60

Excellent, you will stick around for the left-hook discussions won't you?

I could do with an ally

Speeding up to do so is a bit different. Would think that the driver wasn't paying attention to traffic from right to which they do give way and just wanted to get in front.

speeding up to prevent a safe merge would almost certainly be against the law, i'd assume. it's wilfully creating a hazard.

Speeding up to cut-off someone clearly merging is dick behaviour, you condone that do you?

It could very easily be classed as careless driving. If you're accelerating to get to a roundabout first you've no business driving

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A garda and a judge would disagree with you.

You're new here but your posts tonight do see quite misinformed.

53.— (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place in a manner (including speed) which having regard to all the circumstances of the case (including the condition of the vehicle, the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be in it) is or is likely to be dangerous to the public.

accelerating a car towards a roundabout to prevent an otherwise safe merge is clearly being wilfully dangerous. and considering they're also accelerating towards a vulnerable road user, would make it worse.

• Advertisement

So behaving like a dick as long as it's not technically illegal is ok in your view?

Advertisement