Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Hedgehog and a BMW....

With a hedgehog, the pricks are on the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Had an Amazon van follow me for about 2 km today beeping at me like mad for no reason, I stopped at a zebra crossing and went back to eat the head off the pr1ck but then he told me my phone had fallen out of my pocket a good bit back, went back and found it in the middle of the lane, must have had about 50 cars pass over it but no damage 😊

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ford transit, yellow reg, driver had a Donegal accent, turned in on me, thankfully as I was making the turn as well so I was able to squeeze tight.

He wound down the window to give me a bollicking and didn't seem to understand me.

At the next lights he wound down again to ask what he could have done, he had given me a cycle lane width (His front wheel was 30 cm from the kerb when I stopped. Apparently he was paying so little attention he thought I had hit his van before it turned for being close to the cycle lane. It took me a moment to process what he was saying. I explained that I was on his inside when he started turning across me, I didn't hit the back of his van but the side. He seemed then to process he was wrong but just drove off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice for a change!

Maybe drop an email managingdirector@amazon.co.uk, from experience they are good at feeding back stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they may also know who the driver was as in many of those courier companies, drivers work set routes. so no harm to pass on thanks as per Cabaal's suggestion.

• Advertisement

Why is he flashing him ffs 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is the same road he was on before and expected others to yield were they didn't have to.

Shite self entitled driving, but again It's another example of his crap sense of entitlement that he sometimes displays.

If that was a car, I'd be pissed of it wasn't signalling.

He'd be better off getting into the lane from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

He's in one lane. The trick is in another. Truck is fine surely. Even if his arm's out, indicator dies not equal move.

Did he then decide to cycle in front of the truck on a different route than he intended to take, purely to piss off the driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Truck driver is an obnoxious prick for blaring the horn and blasting through at a pinch point. Would he have done that if it was a car on his inside looking to merge. I doubt it. It wouldn’t have taken much to hang back and show some consideration for a more vulnerable person.

The rest is retaliation sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭standardg60

Why was he so far out from the kerb prior to the merge? Truck was well past by the time they got to it.

No wonder the truck driver was pissed off, and even then they performed a perfect overtake.

He really doesn't help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Maybe I'm missing something here, but he still had lane left even after lorry had fully passed. Also, he never actually indicated his intention to merge, but even if he had, the onus is on the person merging to ensure they do so safely.

Surely merging there with the lorry coming behind wouldn't be considered a safe manoeuvre? Same as if someone merged from a slip road onto the motorway, but did so at 80kph with a car travelling at 120 coming right behind

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not the brightest idea to move in front of an artic but not the first time I've seen him do that.

He does seem to get a lot of dickhead drivers close passing him in half of his videos but in the other half, he seems to be trying to antagonise drivers into a stupid reaction.

he has form for this, on this very stretch as if he expects traffic in a separate lane to yield to him though he doesn't even signal.

He knows the road well enough that he'd be better off taking the lane in the first instance. It's one of those I'd love to know what happened moments before as i never feel like the whole story is there with his videos.

He has great handling, and ability to stay upright, but he has some awful situational awareness. He does things that if someone in a car did, he'd be rightly lambasted

As i shot down bellewstown at over 50kph some dopey middle aged woman in a 5 series drove sraight out in front of me.

Luckily I thought she might and had fingers on brakes. 100kg at 50k takes a bit of stopping on rims. Managed to not lock up and controlled it to go in between her back wheel and the ditch.

Amazingly she still hadnt seen me!! Was looking back into her own house at something as she hit 5kph. She then wobbled toward the other side of the road as her adjusted something in the car before finally jumping out of her skin as I roared at her!!

She then stopped and I headed on inside her. I was on the road for another 1 or 2k and never saw her again..... No idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another pass into a blind bend earlier, between the grallagh and jordanstown. the oncoming motorist got quite a scare i'd say, had to come to a near stop.

it was one of several such overtakes today on a shortish cycle, and not the worst in terms of where it happened, just the one where there did happen to be a car coming around the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

There's a pair of cnuts in that.

I lived in Crosshaven for 8 years and cycled and drove those roads a lot.

Truck driver is going to gain no time on a cyclist from where the video starts to the left turn onto the Rochestown road. Blowing horns and lights is grade a d1ckhead stuff

It's very unlikely that truck is going beyond Pepsi, about 1.5km from the roundabout.

I was never a fan of how we do merges here, but expecting truck to yield to you isn't smart

Technical answer, 100%. Real world answer, if he had indicated while riding the line there the lorry would have held back. He didn't, possibly subconsciously knowing it would get a warning beep. I live near a port so have become accustomed to large trucks as lots use small storage yards down country roads. If he had center lane knowing the truck would be passed before a merge was necessary, it wouldn't have happened. If he genuinely felt he needed to go earlier and had indicated, the truck would have held back. And if it didn't, he could have stopped and posted that as the driver is still a ****. Many times he is right but videos like this make it look like he is the one starting sh1t. Even worse he doesn't realise it as if he had left either half out, he would have looked less like it was intentional.

Does that excuse the driver, not even remotely.

i've occasionally wondered what fibs motorists have to concoct when they get home for their wives or husbands, to let some of their righteous steam vent after they've an interaction with a cyclist, but are afraid if they accurately relate what happened they might look foolish.

anyway, it was an overtake into oncoming traffic (am getting a lot of those lately) and the oncoming motorist blew her out of it, but her opening line to me when we met at the next junction was 'you were in the centre of the f*cking road!'

• Advertisement

I was out for a run one evening.

Country road but white line down the middle so not tiny, big long straight with plenty visibility.

Chap in a Leaf came within mm of my elbow with even slowing much, and I roared at him.

He stopped and I stopped to see what he'd say after the ridiculous pass.

1. I was in the "Middle of the road"
    2. I could have just gone on the grass
    3. He couldn't stop as the road was mucky and it would have been dangerous
    4. He had kids in the back
    5. There were cars oncoming (no **** Sherlock)

I asked why he didn't just slow down and stop for a second like everyone behind him now had to do as he was stopped "in the middle of the road"

He told me to F off and run on the grass next time

I then asked him if he was out with his kid would he expect to have to go on the grass for cars.

He had no answer and flew into a rage for me mentioning his kid.

i did engage with that lady - this happened eastbound on collins avenue extension.

i told her yes, i was 'in the centre of the road' (it wasn't the time to get into the semantics of the difference between 'road' and 'lane'). that because of the parked cars, and needing to stay out of the door line, i was in the correct position. and that she'd overtaken me into oncoming traffic, so the fault was hers. i cycled off then so didn't hang around for her response.

i'd already become quite wary of her before she performed that overtake - she'd tried to overtake me while going through the junction of collins avenue and the malahide road, despite not really having the room to her side, and me being only 2m from the small commercial van in front, so she genuinely had nowhere to go. and then she literally just gained 50m before i caught up with her again.

i have on occasion wished for a flip chart so i could more easily explain the 'here's why it makes no difference whether i'm cycling in the 'middle of the road' or in secondary position' for people who complain about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

More of a head scratcher than a near miss. Had a strange one today, pulled up behind a queue of cars at traffic lights, lashing rain and starting to get dark. Driver ahead of me doesn't pull off when the light goes green. I wait a few seconds and overtake, but then he flies around me and pulls in in front and reverses until I'm by the passenger window, nearly catching my handlebar with his mirror.

Says something about how I should either turn off my flashing light or go ahead of him. I was slightly confused and indignant considering how he could have either gone ahead of me or let me go but chose neither option, so let him to repeat himself a few times. Said I'd go ahead of him, and then very satisfyingly got through the lights as they turned red.

The Fly12 light does point slightly higher than I'd like when oriented for the proper camera angle, but his behaviour didn't make sense if he truly was being blinded. Must have a look at the video in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Re "middle of the road", I've noticed that this week (I was away for a week) DCC have managed to redefine every on-street parking space an extra 30 cm from the kerb🙄

On the plus side, there are less cars parked with wheels half up on the kerbs. That and as there's less room for filtering, there are less "near misses".

If I was bothered I'd fill the "obnoxious parking" threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shotser

Yesterday I was cycling up the Carysfort Ave cycle lane with my son on his balance bike. On the road passing us was a man on his bike. I noticed a line of traffic up ahead and as I approached it was cause by a Garda SUV stopped in the middle of the lane with the Garda chatting the the cyclist. I stopped to see what was going on. The Garda left and I had a chat with the man who told me that the Garda was lecturing him on how he should be using the cycling lane. This man was an informed cyclist (I heard him telling the Garda he was a member of the Dublin Cycling Campaign) and told the Garda that he was completely incorrect. He then told me that the Garda said that he would get a clip of a mirror if he wasn't in the cycle lane! The man tried telling the Garda that that would be the fault of the driver and that close passing is illegal but the Garda just left.

What hope is there?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be curious to know how many drivers he forces to stop like he did with you just to tell them that their headlamps are misaligned.

Christ.

(This is all third hand)

A colleague has a cyclist "just cycle right into me as I was turning left".

Apparently this left hooked cyclist took a photo of insurance details and called the guards.

Guard arrived, and my colleague was delighted to recall, admonished the cyclist for not wearing hi-viz and "cycling up the inside of cars".

My colleague has rang her insurer to make sure they don't pay out, really hope she'll be disappointed.

Not a near miss, but waiting to cross a road, today I saw a woman on Lombard street going through to Westland row driving, head down, no hands on wheel both hands tapping away at the phone. A new level of just danger on a road that is pedestrian heavy.

• Advertisement

You sound surprised. I'm now never surprised by people rolling inot the bus or cycle lane while on their phone. Coming along the rock road the other day a Merc rolled into the bike lane while on his phone, stopped to finish his text and looked miffed when the guy in front of me let a roar at him. Genuinely looked confused at why the guy was angry.

Advertisement