Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm not surprised really, but normally I see some vague effort to keep an eye on something. She has obviously developed a higher sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the fines are doubling, so thankfully what Weepsie saw today is now a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The amount of people against fines doubling is nuts. The usual "money making racket" spiel. Even if that was the case, why shouldn't we profit off of people breaking the law? The rest of us have no problem abiding by them. Should be triple, then maybe we could afford to actually have dedicated road units pulling people all day for any and all offences they see.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Fines, even doubled, are easily paid. Doubling the points however might actually make a difference. But cynical folk might think that would mean fewer court pay days for the legal eagles, hence it didn't happen 🤔

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If that was an actual problem then there would be something done about it!

#Sarcasm

To be vulgar: me arse!

With no enforcement, any increase in fines is simply a worthless exercise in PR.

I say this as someone who loves to drive fast & has fractured many many laws in the past - if there is nothing or nobody there to stop someone breaking the law, why would they stop?

• Advertisement

We really should move to a days system

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I stopped at the lights at Leonard's corner yesterday and both cars beside me were ahead of the stop líne and fiddling with their phones. The guy nearest me got a shock of the Lucan "hiviz/blue" in the corner of his eye that he dropped the phone 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not really a near miss but a lot of bike lanes full of leaves or waterlogged has me staying out of them recently. Got honked at by a bus yesterday presumably for not being in the bike lane (as I couldn't think of any other reason). Also had a smart arse on Newcomen Bridge tell me I should be out on the road instead of on the bridge. 🤣

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

It just shows you how blind people are to the hazards encountered by cyclists I had a guy lose his reason this am as I signaled in plenty of time that I was moving to the centre of the road to negotiate a flood, I was in a line of cars doing the same too but he seemed to think I should either let him go first or go for a swim with the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bit late posting, but this day last week (around 9 am) I had the closest call yet - a Key Waste bin lorry. I was cycling down the quays when he decided to turn in left after the Croppy Acre (without indicating). Two bikes behind him - I was one - maybe 30 - 40 meters behind, so slowed down to see what he was at. Looked like he changed his mind and joined the traffic at the next lights. I stopped in the advance box, and when the lights went green, the bin lorry overtook me and cut left across the bike lane without warning and then left up Blackhall place. He was gone, so I'd no opportunity to catch up with him and remind him of his brain-dead driving. I had to follow the track of the truck to the left side of the road, as I would have been creamed if I continued on straight ahead. https://goo.gl/maps/idXNQGWttAA3Wp7a6

The only thing that saved me was the audible warning "caution truck turning" sound when he indicated left. An outrageous move by someone that shouldn't driving such a vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not really a near miss but I am a bit ashamed of my behaviour, even though I don't know why. Out at a friend/family dinner, and getting out of the car in a car park. A small one outside a family restaurant, my friends have just arrived and gone in with their kids, my grandson is about to arrive with my daughter and his dad. White 141 BMW turns in and then hammers it through the car park. Luckily enough the two kids with me are good at following orders and hadn't moved at all. I, after several weeks of zen like behaviour where i just ignored stuff, well I walked over to the car, which was now parked across a yellow box and part of a wheelchair space. I went to open the door which was locked and then he put the window down a bit. I let him have it about the speed, and the fact theat there were kids, to which he replied he seen us. I replied with words in rage. He then in his best hard man accent asked me not to put my hand on his door again. I politely but firmly told him he was lucky it was locked or I'd have lifted him out of it, no more **** words or excuses, don't **** drive like that. He said nothing else and stayed quietly in his car as we walked in.

Not very proud of my behaviour, and also not a clue what would have happened if he'd have gotten out. I can't fight to save my life, never could and I strongly suspect he was. Sadly, as my partner pointed out afterwards, it was all a bit pointless, his driving won't change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Completely understandable. Unfortunately the last line is very much true but I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Might feel pointless but it’s the 1% chance that the next time he gets into a similar situation something in the back of his empty head makes him think twice about what he’s doing, that makes it worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a couple of days ago i was at the traffic lights southbound over the M50 at ballymun, on the southern side of the motorway - these lights:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4086979,-6.2650321,3a,75y,191.76h,72.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGMIjuIEtnOB9Hq3NabYpkQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DGMIjuIEtnOB9Hq3NabYpkQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D179.61101%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

i was watching the lights for people coming off the M50; they went red, so i clipped in, our lights went green and i was already a few metres past the stop line (as was the motorist alongside) when a guy in a blue SUV came through from the left doing probably 60km/h. i'd say his lights had been red for three seconds at that stage.

he wouldn't have had any visibility till the last fraction of a second as to whether there was any traffic where we were. you can see from the street view shot that visibility would be very limited for him in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

2 x 0 = 0

Gardaí just don't seem to care about enforcing the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly, fair play to you

Too many people talk-the-talk and speak in 'what ifs'. 'I wish I had said something to him'

You had the balls to do it, so fair play

I suppose one risk is that if the person(s) are from a different 'culture' you could've been in bother, but in fairness, you'd probably cop that while walking up to the car etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Close pass today while taking the lane passing a crane set up in the cycle track. Auld wan with a death clutch on the steering wheel probably shouldn’t be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wouldn't want to be relying on using that footpath, would you? Wheelchair user, parent with buggy, walking frame user....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

In that situation, footpaths and cycle lanes should be maintained temporarily by traffic cones. They should take priority and the vehicular lane put to a stop/go system.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

And yet you see the Gardai drive right by without a care in the world because the lads had some cursory cones at the back of the crane. Nobody gives a ****.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

That is criminal!!

Anyone walks out their front gate looking at the phone or wrestling with a toddler and BAM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shotser

Ah I see those cars are still parked in the cycle lane. Back in 2014ish I rang the Gardaí and the clampers every morning when I got into work for about 2 months before I gave up. This is no longer my commute but glad to see some things never change. I seriously wonder how they get away with it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Because its accepted by nearly everyone to the point that many think it is completely legal to park on double yellows, or on bends, or on cycle lanes. I would put money on it that if you interviewed 1000 drivers randomly in Dublin, a large majority would state that it was legal provided that it was less than 15 minutes, or their hazards are on, or that someone is sitting in the car and so on. People are wilfully ignorant and they breed the next generation who grow up believing this. It used to be a main stay on this forum and the motors forum whenever it came up that people would state such things with conviction, that it was legal but when challanged, could never show or prove it, or simply claimed stupidity or ignorance of the person who wanted the proof.

Until it is both enforced and taught, with the former being more important, nothing will change. Bring in traffic/parking wardens and within a year everyone in Dublin would be able to tell you the law, but not now and not for some time to come unfortunately.

And just a few days after one of the Bus unions has announced the 123 won't be going up Philipsburgh Avenue anymore, due to illegally parked cars, forcing bus drivers to mount the pavement.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had this bus driver yesterday getting annoyed with me travelling legally along the N4. PLenty of beeping, hand gesturing towards the cycle path and then the inevitable punishment pass...

Captured this one recently - a good example of a good overtake followed by an ignorant prick who must get ahead of the pesky cyclist and so passes me closely despite the oncoming traffic...

(note both videos have me saying some bad words!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Kudos to karen in her all new electric Kona who decided to use its full off road capabilities to drive over the cobble stoned roundabout inside the phoenix park rather than the 5 seconds following me. All to join a queue of 15 other lemmings travelling at 30kph through the park. Gave her a sarcastic thumbs-up as I passed her inside half way Down Chesterfield Ave. What a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can't stand the use of the word "Karen" to describe someone. American nonsense that should be kept over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Seems to suit self-righteous passive aggressive females nicely all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That is just one of many instances or shocking driving by a Dublin Bus employee. To think that driver thought it was OK and that no-one would be bothered. Their journey is more important. I doubt they will be sacked though looking at the benchmark of DB driving standards. Many drivers are very courteous to other road users, but too ofterln, many are not.

All drivers should be subjected to random cctv inspection of their driving.. It would help if they knew they couid be asked to account for their poor awareness or driving.

I never get why someone being paid for a driving shift is always in such a hurry to get from a to b. So what if they are 5mins late because they had to drive at the required speed and stop at traffic signals. That's part of being a professional driver in a conjested urban environment.

Advertisement