Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Was debating on putting this up (rider may well read these boards) but here we go. This is a regular occurrence that I see on the north quays heading toward the central bank and it ties in with the other thread about calling out other cyclists.

Couple of weeks ago cycling behind a guy up custom house quay. There is a bus pulled in at the bus stop just after the CHQ. I shoulder checked very early and saw another bus coming up the normal driving lane so I slowed down and indicating out. Guy in front didn't bother doing any of that. No shoulder check, no hand/arm out, just swerves out fairly bloody sharply to go around the stopped bus. Almost got himself killed.

Anyway I'm overtaking him a little further down and say to him "you nearly got yourself killed back there". His response: "I know, the bleedin prick and he's driving a bus!" I just said "he wasn't the one at fault". Well jesus I got called a few names and heard a few words I hadn't heard in quite some time.

It's about the 5th or 6th time I've seen that very same near miss along those keys in my time of cycling that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Some people will never learn.

Saw an unbelievable incident this morning. Heading towards the city on the N3, just past the roundabout at the M50 junction 6 and coming to the lights at the Travelodge motel. I'm in the car, on a school run, so stopped at the lights at that huge 4-way junction (Dunsink Lane / Auburn avenue) when I see a cyclist whizz down from the Navan Road heading in the same direction as me overtaking cars in the middle of the traffic lanes.

Fair play to him, he burst down that slope like Sam Bennett in lane 3 with cars either side of him, at maybe 60kph and *somehow* got across to the safety of the left lane before the Topaz garage.

I was watching it with my heart in my mouth - all it would take is a single driver on the phone, on Facebook, or not paying attention, and he was crushed in front of me.

Was wearing club kit, looked like LCRC bib tights under a black jacket - but don't shoot me if I'm wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Came across an altercation between a cyclist and driver at the corner of Clonskeagh and Richview this morning. Dunno what happened, cyclist seemed shook and driver seemed keen to drive off but was being challenged. Some bystanders were keeping an eye on things and Gardai were being called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZx-5-v9nQ4

Had 2 close passes today, this one only 5 mins into my ride to work and second one near Airside in Swords. In work now so had to download software that only let me save one clip so can't be bothered to do the second one, but its very similar (It's also a VW as well....)

You can see from the position of the car wheels and the white line, that he made no physical effort to pull over at all. Video is muted so you can't hear my response...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's one for the gardai too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got a call from the Garda that took on my incident to come in and give over the whole memory card so he can take all the footage, not just the two minutes either side I've taken off and put on a memory stick. I hope he doesn't take my memory card now.

I could put on the whole clip on a memory stick if he wants

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^^
    Apparently you can send it to your local super (according to an email i received fron thw Roads Policing Unit) so if he asks to keep the sd card say no and offer to (somehow) mail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

If more people reacted like this I suspect driving standards might actually improve.*

*Obvs tounge in cheek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

gmacww wrote: »
    It's about the 5th or 6th time I've seen that very same near miss along those keys in my time of cycling that way.

Lack of awarness is the biggest cause of most road incidents. Driving, cycling, hell even crossing the road (how many times someone stepped out when they didnt hear a car engine.. and soon realise a bike at pace is pretty scary stuff.. - and good luck to those guys when non ICE cars really take over)

People just don't look all around. I seen a guy nearly got hit the other day as a car pulled right from a T junction, realised the road was busy, reversed back into the T junction (at speed) and nearly took out the ped crossing the side road! Didn't even glance backwards while reversing at speed.

Sh!t like this happens all the time. On the motorway with lane hogging (no awareness behind), cars squeezing bikes, bikes skipping the Q to get to the front, ahead of the other bikes who just overtook them at 30+kmph etc and a million other things..

Cycle like you should drive - keeping an eye on the road ahead (not 3 meters in front) and pay attention to rear and where the 'blind' spot would be.

Simple as that.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Not going to lie, I <3 this.

https://twitter.com/DoCiclismo/statu...548360192?s=20

I think a lot of us have done that ........ in our heads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bully gets owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got a call from the Garda that took on my incident to come in and give over the whole memory card so he can take all the footage, not just the two minutes either side I've taken off and put on a memory stick. I hope he doesn't take my memory card now.

I could put on the whole clip on a memory stick if he wants
    I've given probably about 50 statements with video submissions over the past few years and I've never been asked for this. I'd suggest that he's confused over the nature of helmet cameras vs CCTV systems.

I'd suggest you tell him that you downloaded the relevant file to your local computer at the time of the incident, so it is no longer on the memory card. Once you give this explanation within a statement, they have full 'chain of evidence' to support the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

I've given probably about 50 statements with video submissions over the past few years and I've never been asked for this. I'd suggest that he's confused over the nature of helmet cameras vs CCTV systems.

I'd suggest you tell him that you downloaded the relevant file to your local computer at the time of the incident, so it is no longer on the memory card. Once you give this explanation within a statement, they have full 'chain of evidence' to support the video.

The correct procedure for CCTV is the Garda ought to retain the original Cctv. Doesn’t matter if it’s dash cam, helmet cam or from a business or residence. The original Cctv is copied several times. One is kept as a working copy for the garda to watch. Other copies are for disclosure to the defence, the DPP etc. The original is supposed to be kept in the Garda’s property and exhibits management system- PEMS. There is talk that these procedures may change to make using Cctv easier in future, but for the time being, this is what’s expected for the prosecution to present footage in evidence.

A statement is taken from the person who downloaded the footage to state they didn’t alter edit or change the recording along with other proofs for court. It could be argued that if you deleted the original recording or lost it, then the one presented to the court is an altered version. Of course that’s more so an argument for the defence to make, and it’s less likely to present as an issue at district court level, but nonetheless the Garda is correct to seek the original.

Perhaps he/she is seeking more footage than the two minutes either side, as the other person has made an allegation against you McLove? Has the Garda said what type of statement they’re taking from you? A witness statement means just that, however the norm for “drivers” including cyclists is a cautioned statement, whereby the formal caution is inserted at the commencement of the statement and whatever you state may be used against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Jees, that's mad. I've been cycling in Dublin for over 20 years and I think I've called traffic watch 4 times and made a written statement once. Mind you they've all been within the last 2 years so I'm improving.

Jees, that's mad. I've been cycling in Dublin for over 20 years and I think I've called traffic watch 4 times and made a written statement once. Mind you they've all been within the last 2 years so I'm improving.

You think I'm bad (or good)? Check out Mikey, nearly one a day last year in the UK, though you don't have to give a written statement with many of the UK forces.

https://twitter.com/MikeyCycling

RobbieMD wrote: »
    The correct procedure for CCTV is the Garda ought to retain the original Cctv. Doesn’t matter if it’s dash cam, helmet cam or from a business or residence. The original Cctv is copied several times. One is kept as a working copy for the garda to watch. Other copies are for disclosure to the defence, the DPP etc. The original is supposed to be kept in the Garda’s property and exhibits management system- PEMS. There is talk that these procedures may change to make using Cctv easier in future, but for the time being, this is what’s expected for the prosecution to present footage in evidence.
    How does this work with a CCTV network with hard drive storage? Are you supposed to hand over the entire device to the Gardai?

Are people really supposed to hand over a 30-quid or 60-quid memory card to help the Gardai with their inquiries?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A statement is taken from the person who downloaded the footage to state they didn’t alter edit or change the recording along with other proofs for court. It could be argued that if you deleted the original recording or lost it, then the one presented to the court is an altered version. Of course that’s more so an argument for the defence to make, and it’s less likely to present as an issue at district court level, but nonetheless the Garda is correct to seek the original.

Perhaps he/she is seeking more footage than the two minutes either side, as the other person has made an allegation against you McLove? Has the Garda said what type of statement they’re taking from you? A witness statement means just that, however the norm for “drivers” including cyclists is a cautioned statement, whereby the formal caution is inserted at the commencement of the statement and whatever you state may be used against you.

They just asked if I wanted to make a statement and to come in and bring the helmet cam footage with me. Two mins either side really wouldn't show anything to suggest they would have grounds for complaint.

I've no problem handing over the footage but not the sd card. I think I'll just copy it over to the memory stick and give it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

How does this work with a CCTV network with hard drive storage? Are you supposed to hand over the entire device to the Gardai?

Are people really supposed to hand over a 30-quid or 60-quid memory card to help the Gardai with their inquiries?

Best practice would certainly tend that way. Yes entire hard drives have been seized. It really depends on what court is going to be hearing the matter. Generally in the district court, the defence tend not to argue too much on the Cctv but in the higher courts there’s certainly more examination of the Cctv and the defence will work to exclude certain evidence from being admitted if possible.

In a recent case, the defence were trying to get Cctv made inadmissible because the Gardai hadn’t formally requested Cctv from the data controllers pursuant to the Data protection act and the Cctv systems hadn’t been registered with the data protection commissioner.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/senior-garda-who-harvested-3500-hours-of-cctv-did-not-consider-data-protection-court-hears-956362.html

Best practice would certainly tend that way. Yes entire hard drives have been seized. It really depends on what court is going to be hearing the matter. Generally in the district court, the defence tend not to argue too much on the Cctv but in the higher courts there’s certainly more examination of the Cctv and the defence will work to exclude certain evidence from being admitted if possible.

In a recent case, the defence were trying to get Cctv made inadmissible because the Gardai hadn’t formally requested Cctv from the data controllers pursuant to the Data protection act and the Cctv systems hadn’t been registered with the data protection commissioner.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/senior-garda-who-harvested-3500-hours-of-cctv-did-not-consider-data-protection-court-hears-956362.html

Thanks, I can see the point in seizing a hard drive of a commercial CCTV system, but I can't really see the point of seizing a dashcam or helmetcam. I'd swear they wouldn't be even thinking about seizing it if you responding to one of their calls for help, but when you take the initiative of reporting a crime, they seem to come up with all kinds of barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Jesus this afternoon was something 99% of my cycling is commuting so usually on the road for 7am and back again at 4pm so usually heavy traffic. Worked a half day today and thought home would be easy but no several stupid passes reasonably low speed but still and WTF is with walkers I've about 10k of a 22k commute on canal or park land so lots of potential to cross paths.

There were lots more people out than normal fair enough it was the middle of a Saturday but the amount getting in a hump for me ringing a bell, or saying passing your left etc. on approach one group told me to go around them on the grass with another telling me I should be on the road!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Irish people really don’t seem to understand the point of a bicycle bell. They see it as an affront to their personal dignity rather than simply an indication of your presence.

Don’t get me started on the walkers in the Phoenix Park cycle lanes.

You'd swear it was an air horn the way some people reacted, some where absolutely fine with it and I did my utmost to be courteous lots of please, thank you etc. but we're really a nation of 50% a holes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lots of water around this morning after heavy overnight rain. Indicated right to move out of a large puddle taking up half the road near clonee - numb nuts behind me in a Nissan quashqai overtakes then immediately left hooks me to a left turn. That was at 8.15 am.

Was faced by a car overtaking another coming against me over a solid white line in a residential street close to home just now. 50 km/hr speed limit obviously too slow for captain tool.

Two bookends to an average sunday cycling in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

5uspect wrote: »
    Irish people really don’t seem to understand the point of a bicycle bell. They see it as an affront to their personal dignity rather than simply an indication of your presence..

The Guy who came from behind me and dinged, dinged again and forcefully dinged again at me walking an a narrow footpath an a bridge certainly got the affront spoken to him this morning.

To be fair, it's the first time I've heard a bell used correctly to indicate presence in this country in a good while. I told him so too :-) but I thought that if he wants to make progress to use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I was at the junction at Harold's Cross bridge at about 1am this morning, heading towards town. There was a driver turning right onto the canal, and a taxi driver behind him who wasn't in the mood for waiting. He swung out left to go around him just as I was about to go past, and I had to brake hard. Presumably, since I only had two 200 lumen lights on the front, and wasn't wearing hi viz after my evening out, he couldn't see me at any stage between starting his manoeuvre, then indicating, then looking over his left shoulder, then making eye contact with me, then stopping and then deciding "ah feck it" and going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

Last two spins I've been on have been conspicuous by their lack of close passes.

It's a bad state of affairs when it's a novelty to not feel in imminent danger at any point while trying to do a bit of exercise..

I'm probably going to get murdered next week.

Was indicating and going left from the Malahide road on to the Crescent in Dublin in very slow traffic in my car on Friday, completely missed a cyclist in my mirrors going up the inside of me. He roared at me, no contact, but I'd say he got a fair fright. Immediately put my hands up and apologised, in fairness, he just shook his head and cycled off.

Failed to actually shoulder check and carry out a safe manoeuvre. Won't do it again. If it's one of you (bandanna wearing road biker) sincere apologies.

If you were indicating and he went up the inside of you I'd say it was his fault unless there's a dedicated bike lane there?

tnegun wrote: »
    If you were indicating and he went up the inside of you I'd say it was his fault unless there's a dedicated bike lane there?

I hear you, but no, my fault. I started moving as he came up on the inside to get by a car going straight. I squeezed him. I was initially stopped and thought I'd fit through a gap. I didn't check properly to see if there was any oncoming cyclists on my inside. :mad:

• Advertisement

ah ok I get you now, so initally you were waiting behind the car in front then moved into the space to the left of it without checking properly? I'd still assign some fault to the cyclist. I'm always very cautious going up the inside of any car indicating.

Advertisement