Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Exactly. I have been teaching my kids to use the bell anytime they are passing people. It let's people know they are there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wish bells were viewed that way by some, I have been threatened for using one in my youth so I just don't bother. I just freewheel a good bit out so they hear it coming, less shocking than a bell to someone not paying attention. Then a friendly thank you or hello as required.

Two near misses in the last few days. Neither involved me. One a car beside me sped up and overtook the cyclist in front of me and left hooked her right at the turn into the Frascati centre. Fair play to her reaction time as he didn't even get ahead of her when he turned in on her, she managed to react instantly and turn in with the car but it was almost ambulance calling time. Driver had 3 kids in the back and then started shouting at her as if it was her fault, claimed she came out of nowhere and he didn't see her (he overtook her and I was 30m behind and had seen her 50m before he overtook her). Next was a student driver turning across a delivery driver coming into the Clonskeagh gate of UCD. I was waiting to turn right but had seen the car and cyclist so was just waiting for them to go past when the young lad turned in late and hard. Again the cyclist reacted instantly and just missed his front wheel being taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I get mixed responses to using mine all the time and a lot of time with headphones in it doesn't matter. The best response was on the canal near Clondalkin I rang the bell approaching a group of youths and one instantly turned around shouting "Round 1 - FIGHT" squeaky bum time but thankfully he laughed it off with me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I bought 4 bells the other day for the 4 cyclists in the house, will be interesting to see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Not really a near miss, but I had to let a roar at a driver for the first time ever today.

Heading down through Naas town and a fella in a Porsche started to reverse out of a commercial premises just as I was approaching. Traffic meant moving out into the lane wasn't really an option, so I let a roar. I know it was loud because people looked around at me.

I don't know whether the driver heard me, or saw me at the last minute, but he stopped abruptly.

Funny, typing it out takes a while, but the whole thing was over in seconds

Two people pulled out in front of me on the way home tonight, I seen it coming and let a roar before it had happened. One jammed on and looked sheepish but the other, just gave a dirty look of, what the f*ck did I do. Now you could argue I could have stopped but it wouldn't have changed the fact that he wouldn't have if I hadn't let a roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Guys doing roadworks put the "end of cycle lane" sign in the middle of the (bollarded) cycle lane at Kilmainham. I just stopped in time as I was going down the hill with a green light ahead of me. I politely told them that if they don't want an accident and someone suing them they might move it so that cyclists using the cycle lane can get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kissy_Lips

My new hybrid came with a bell. I use it all the time, way more than I anticipated. My route takes in a lot of the new dodder greenway which is shared space for a lot of the journey. Buggys, people three abreast, dogs on extending leads all get a ding and a little wave of thanks from me after. No issues so far, much better than shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

As I approached the side of the coach house pub in Gorey , a car was stopped and as I was going past it, a young woman who had got out of the front passenger side, without looking Just ran out onto the road in front of the car she got out of and straight in front of me. She was knocked to the ground, I just about stayed up. I asked her was she okay and said to her that she never looked right before running onto the road. She apologised and ran into the coffee shop across the road, the one beside the lane into Jack & Jill.

She was blessed I was not on a motorbike 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm still trying to get my head around this which is why I'm posting about it.

Was on my way to work this morning just after 7 and had just gotten into the city centre. A light turned red up ahead of me so I started to stop but out of nowhere, a car turns in on top of me and literally missed me by an inch because I felt him brush by me. So I ended up flying off of the bike onto the road to the left of me while the two cars behind me nearly hit me while I was down. The whole thing happened in the space of a few seconds I dunno how the **** I'm still here, to be honest, ha! I walked the rest of the way with the bike it didn't really hit me what had happened until I got to work then I just felt like a mess. Got changed calmed down a bit talked to one or two people at work about it and the boss told me to head home so someone gave me a lift back.

I dunno whether I'm lucky or what I am but I've absolutely no interest in getting on the bike again plus it's probably gonna cost me a bit to get it fixed. To say I am absolutely fed up with commuting to work in Dublin city centre is an understatement anyway!! I haven't a clue where the car was going or what the **** the driver was at its not as if I was in their way. They didn't stop or anything after and no one said a word to me or checked if was I alright so that's what your up against out there!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, glad that you're ok apart from being shocked.

I would contact some of the retailers around there and see if they have footage of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cheers! I'm not one hundred per cent sure at the moment where exactly it was id have to go back down and look as the whole thing was a blur. There are a couple of shops around that area but from what I can remember where it happened is a bit quieter. It was dark at the time as well I don't know what was even open.

Took a longer way into work today around Rathmore & Kilteel and found that because the N7 was slow, many drivers sought alternative routes which I suspect one or both drivers involved in this were doing. I was travelling towards this roundabout (travelling SE) and a driver coming from the SW and indicating to turn left on the RB (where I was) decided at the last moment to continue in a straight line. I think the driver coming up behind me was also watching traffic entering the RB and hadn't noticed that I had actually stopped, although his line was very odd if going left. Anyhow, excuse my WTF comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

+1 on this. I have this one on my left hood and it's easy to use with just my thumb. Nice loud clear ding as well

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Obviously proceeding while he was looking right, not bothering to check in front too

I turned as he was approaching and I could see that both he and his passenger were looking that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

FFS! What on earth is the driver trying to achieve? I’m presuming that the dash cam that video was recorded with was mounted in a car? Doesn’t look like a bike cam video. Where did the driver think he was going to get to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Compensation for their unhappy life.

It's shocking but no doubt there will be no legal offence identified here as there was no injury caused.

Horrible auld morning out there, folks. Bí Ullamh.

Looks like there was an incident on the Kilmore Road between Artaine Castle and Northside shopping centers. Road closed, Garda tape everywhere, and a fairly oldish looking bike on the ground heading in the Northside direction.Hope everyone involved is okay.

Horrible auld morning out there, folks. Bí Ullamh.

Both yesterday and today were busy commutes. Plenty of drivers skipping down bus lanes and then getting pissed off because someone is daring to travel in it (legally) but more slowly than them.

Looks like there was an incident on the Kilmore Road between Artaine Castle and Northside shopping centers. Road closed, Garda tape everywhere, and a fairly oldish looking bike on the ground heading in the Northside direction.Hope everyone involved is okay.

Hopefully everyone is ok but the use of tape sounds bad

Yeah, the tape across the full width of the road, no traffic allowed past in either direction, and the bike still upended on the side of the road............My first thoughts were that something pretty bad went down.

It also meant that all north-bound traffic had to divert in around Ardmore/Montrose/Skelly's Lane, which is usually choc-a-block with the school traffic anyway. An extra load of traffic, kids getting out of cars with hoods pulled up, drivers not letting others past when they should, bikes filtering through traffic that has been stationary for a few mins, the wind/sleet making it harder for everyone......whole thing was a sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It’s there from last night, man in his 60s was hit by a car at 9pm last night. In critical condition

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RTE news states he was a pedestrian.

Wonder why the bike was left there, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Had a wierd encounter on this road this week:

I'm in the lane on the right (right turn only), Left lane (left only) had a red light. As I reached the crown of the road I hear an engine roar behind me, and a black Audi comes screaming down my left and pulled hard right across me. I managed to pull right to avoid him and let out a roar. Fella starts shouting that I'm in the way and giving the finger 😎 He pulled up to the back log of traffic stopped (road works and no left turn at Merrion gates). Such a strange encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭ngunners

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please. Should I report this incident to the guards?

Coming home from work today, a car swung in in front of me into the bus lane and parks there. He wasn’t that close to me so no bother, I indicate with my arm and go to overtake him. As I go past him he starts to move back out into the lane I’m in causing me to move further out with cars overtaking me from behind. I let out a shout and an ´f sake’ from shock and to let him know I’m there. As I go past him I see he has a phone in his hand. He finally notices me and pulls back into his ‘parking spot’ in the bus lane. I pull in a few metres up the road and look back at him as if to say: what are you doing? He doesn’t like this at all and goes to drive towards me. Only a slight forward motion but trying to be intimidating. He takes out his phone and (presumably) starts filming me. I then take out my phone and take a quick snap of his car while he goes on about how ´it doesn’t matter’ because ´you’re not a guard anyway’.

I normally wouldn’t bother reporting the careless driving (a common occurrence in Dublin unfortunately) but the agressive reaction makes me want to go to the guards. What do ye think? Is it worth it?

Advertisement