Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anyone using the cycle lane going by Marley Park opposite the Lidl, please be careful. Guys working on the concert venue are flying in and out with no care taken, had a near miss on Tuesday evening but thankfully I was going a bit slower than I usually would.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Awful, particularly as they have security guy on that specific gate out of the park, who should be managing things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any point referring to the council as surely they had to do a traffic management plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If I had a good video showing a truck pulling out in front of a cyclist, it might help to shame then into action. I can't see them taking any serious action based on an email complaint. Maybe one of the local Green councillors might help.

I was thinking more the council themselves rather than councillors, who let them do this work based on a license. Might be worth doing, maybe not but it might spook the contractor into behaving if they think the council are checking up on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

More reckless driving on my commute this morning.

First a Dairygold lorry honks, and narrowly overtakes me against an oncoming vehicle. Followed in quick succession by a van squeezing by me.

Personally I'd be positioned much further into the lane. I find it prevents 99% of close passes as they no longer try to squeeze through

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had this one a few days ago on Windmill Hill near Rathcoole. The road narrows to a narrow country lane where they started to overtake plus it had been raining heavily and the surface was wet. I also note the N sticker on the car.

Yesterday in my estate, a driver coming around the bend towards me was looking straight at me but didn't seem to see me. I was watching her as I approached and had to pull into the turn on the left as I knew her line wasn't going to change, which it didn't - I'll look for the car later today and have a discreet word (this is just a photo!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I originally posted this one last December. The driver tried her best to give me the run around, but her insurance company has now accepted full liability and is refunding me for the damage to my Garmin, lights etc. and the cost of the physiotherapy for my injuries. I didn’t pursue a full blown personal injury claim. Part of me wishes I had because the driver made things difficult for me, but I’m mostly just happy it’s dealt with. I’m healed up, not out of pocket, and the driver will have a nice reminder to look where she’s going the next few times she renews her insurance.

Apologies again for the language. That tarmac hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's brilliant to hear, weird that she wouldn't accept liability for not checking 'the other lane', ie the cyclist's one, was clear.

On the plus side i'm seeing more and more drivers check to the left of standing traffic before proceeding with their turn right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Delighted to hear that, looked like a nasty fall, hope you're doing alright!

Special mention too to the dickhead stopped in the yellow box she was trying to go around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Maybe it's new fatherhood, but I'm hyper aware this past few days back at work of drivers trying to hit me. One today squeezed into buslane leaving me inches so I slapped the back of his car. My thinking is, if I can do that, you're too close.

They then took a left and came back up another road to get back into that road

The. I've had about 5 cars go through various lights as I'm crossing a junction on my green

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cars turning right as I have a green light to go through a junction drives me absolutely insane.

The worst junction for it on my daily commute is just at the bottom of Leeson Street before you hit the canal.

If I'm cycling on a green and it's just me, no other cars in my lane, there's a 50/50 chance that silver car below is going to take this red path as I approach, as if I'm not there at all.

When I approach that junction, I either hope the light turns red or there's a bus ahead of me that I can catch up on and use as a shield. Actually say to myself 'oh ffs, here we go' if I'm approaching on a green.

Literally lost count at the amount of close calls I've had there. I'd say I get someone cut across in that red path once every two days at least.

Has resulted in everything from me having to hammer on and almost go over the handlebars while they go on their merry way, to both of us hammering on and stopping in the middle of the junction, to people seeing me last minute and swerving like lunatics.

Worst actually is when a car goes across the red line who actually had enough time to go across before I approached but then a stream of cars blindly follows him, straight into me and I've to hammer on my brakes.

Rant over but yeah, be careful at that junction, it can be a bit hairy during the morning rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They're must be a natural law that says if you're a regular bike cam user and your camera isn't recording for some reason then drivers will respond by endangering you more than usual. The number of left hooks and illegal right turns while nearly taking me out has jumped since my Fly12 mount snapped during the week.

Gone through 2 now, can't bring myself to pay €25 + delivery for yet another s***ty piece of plastic that won't last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Must be a compatible mount you can order a few from AliExpress?

If I don't have my bike cam I feel extraordinarily vulnerable for some reason. Have used footage twice to prove motorists were lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's keyed so it doesn't fit the common Garmin mount, but good idea didn't think to try there.

Yeah feeling very cautious going out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

How old is the camera? I got a few under warranty from them and am on my second camera and my 3rd or 4th mount now they only last about 7-8k km. It's a known issue with them so don't take any crap from them about you over-tightening them and ask for a warranty or goodwill replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

Sometimes, even taking the lane isn't enough. This old codger simply had to get in front, despite oncoming traffic

https://streamable.com/xewudu

Was he on his phone or a bit drunk, that sudden jolt like he just woke up.

I interpreted it as him telling me I should be in the bike lane (yes, the same bike lane that someone had parked in). No sign of a phone or impairment when I caught up to him, aside from the usual carbrain impairment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I've said it before and I'll say it again - "1.5 metres" is not written anywhere in our law. The legislation requires the motorist not to endanger you, and you haven't proven that he did. Furthermore, there was a cycle lane just beside you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Would that be the cycle land with the car parked in it?

Yes - the lane was obstructed further ahead. Not at the point at which the cyclist was overtaken.

I don't know if you cycle at all, but if there's an obstruction in your lane, you're safer moving out of it nice and early, rather than just at the point of obstruction, as drivers may not be expecting such a manoeuvre.

This is all aside from the fact that there's no legal obligation on the cyclist to be in the lane at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

1.5m distance and cycle lane aside, keeping a safe distance from the curb would put them at the very least on the line of that cycle lane. It being a narrow enough road would make me move out a bit more to make it clear you're not squeezing past.

Even if you did use the cycle lane it's smart to stay out because there's a second car obstructing the lane that you have to pass. Going in again just forces you to stop because cars will squeeze past.

I made no mention of a 1.5m distance, but continue having conversations in your own head if you wish.

I notice you made a very selective reference to the Road Traffic Act with regard to overtaking. For the sake of completeness, let's take a look at the full statement that you've extracted from:

10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.

(2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

Now, would you like to consider again whether the driver in question caused inconvenience or danger to me or the oncoming traffic (notwithstanding the fact that he performed the overtake into oncoming traffic, a direct violation of 2a)?

But this thread is about cyclists having near misses with cars, so the oncoming traffic is not relevant. Also, it's clear that if you had been in the cycle lane he would not have had to overtake into oncoming traffic. It's not clear at all to me from the video that he inconvenienced or endangered you. The reason I made reference to 1.5m is that there is a widespread misconception that it is the law of the land (largely through the actions of the Road Safety Authority and various cycling lobby groups trying to construe it as such). The government in fact considered specifically legislating for 1.5m, but decided it was unfeasible given how narrow many of our roads are. As such, the only rules that drivers must observe are in passing cyclists are:

1. the driver must not force the cyclist to reduce speed or take evasive action;
    2. the driver must not make physical contact with the cyclist/bike frame.

You can certainly argue that the close pass "endangered you", but the driver would undoubtedly argue (and An Gárda Síochána generally tend to agree with this argument) that as they did not force you to reduce your speed or take evasive action (to avoid a collison), and they did not make contact with you/your bike frame you were not actually in danger. The burden of proof is on you to prove that you were in danger and unfortunately you have not done so. Again, An Gárda Síochána assess "endangering cyclists" based on the following objective metrics:

1. whether the cyclist reduced speed/took evasive action
    2. whether or not the actions of the driver resulted in a collision (however minor).

Close passes that do not feature the above hallmarks remain legal. 1.5m is still an unenforceable "guideline" because the legislature considers it (for now at least) to be unrealistic. Should this change? The government certainly does not think so (despite a Green Party TD being minister for transport). I would also argue (as An Garda Síochána and even the Road Safety Authority has in the past) that if you are not comfortable having close encounters with drivers you can always choose routes with protected cycle lanes, and use cycle lanes (whether or not they are protected) where they are available.

Right, so what you're saying is that I forced him to overtake into oncoming traffic, causing danger and inconvenience to both the oncoming drivers as well as myself?

As others have already pointed out, cyclists are not required to use cycle lanes where provided except in very specific circumstances. In this case, the only road users who have violated the Road Traffic Act are the driver who overtook into oncoming traffic, and the driver who parked in a 24 hour clearway.

As for the overtake inconveniencing me, I did have to reduce my speed and alter my line.

Can you cite where in the Road Traffic Act you sourced your statements about drivers only requirements being to "not force the cyclist to reduce speed or take evasive action" or "not make physical contact with the cyclist/bike frame"?

Or drivers could not overtake into oncoming traffic, thereby obeying the rules of the road, those same rules that state that cyclists are part of traffic, not obstructions to traffic.

It has already been pointed out why he was not in the cycle lane, there was an obstruction ahead. Waiting until the last minute before changing lanes would most likely lead to that often used claim that " the cyclist appeared out of nowhere"

In fact that's just one reason not to use cycle lanes that are provided. Others include the quality of the surface, and the fact that cycle lanes often don't go where the cyclist is going.

You claim that oncoming traffic is not an issue, despite it clearly being stated as such in law.

(2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

Could I ask, do you have any experience cycling in towns and cities using roads and cycle lanes, or is it just what you observe from your car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Judging by his/her posting history, including starting a thread on why don’t cyclist pay motor tax and have insurance, I guess it’s the latter.

Advertisement