Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Verging on unbelievable that you have video showing the vehicle hitting you, and that's still not enough. They really make it very hard for cyclists.

It's certainly useable for a civil suit for compensation even without a criminal action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A cyclist near miss this evening.

So I'm tipping down the quays, and there're are 3 cyclists in front of me. The nearest two go by the first one, and a short while later I go to do the same thing. The cyclist is in the middle of the lane, I pop out to the outside of the lane, and the cyclist just throws their arm fully out, missing me by mere cms. I shouted 'you need to look behind yourself honey' as I went by.

A short time later everyone is stopped at a red light on the quays, and the cyclist who nearly knocked me off my bike with their hand pulls up. I can't remember how we started talking, but I said you need to look behind yourself before you throw your arm out. The cyclist then said 'I wasn't expecting you' (I was the third person to pass him out in about 30-50m). I repeated myself, then he said 'You shouldn't have been going so fast, the speed you were doing'.

Then for some reason I mentioned that I was within the 30kph speed limit, which on my 48x18 fixie I was but I was annoyed at myself for even saying that because there are no speed limits for cyclists and I was slower than the previous two who passed him out! And the main issue was him almost knocking me off my bike in rush hour by throwing the full length of his magic arm of infallibility without even a cursory glance behind! I was the only woman of the three to pass him out. I don't think that was part of it though, but it interested me that I was the only speeder in his eyes despite being the slowest of the three who passed him out.

Anyway, this continues, I say he nearly knocked me off my bike, he said a very angry and grudging sorry a couple of times, grumbling about my speed, and then the light went green and I never saw him again.
    He moved into the middle lane, threw the whole arm out and never, at any stage did he even briefly glance behind himself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I don't get it, what was his arm out for? Signalling? Waving? Stretching? :confused:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I don't get it, what was his arm out for? Signalling? Waving? Stretching? :confused:

I think he was trying to signal.
    Although once he reached the rest of us at the lights he was in the same lane as us so who knows!
    It did look like a signal though. The hand out and move kind, with nary a look behind!
    The arm came out as my shoulders were at his fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

eeeee wrote: »
    I think he was trying to signal.
    Although once he reached the rest of us at the lights he was in the same lane as us so who knows!
    It did look like a signal though. The hand out and move kind, with nary a look behind!
    The arm came out as my shoulders were at his fingers!

Disgusted a girl passed him out.

On a fixie.

And then scolded him.

Correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I was annoyed at myself for even saying that because there are no speed limits for cyclists

Wait - is this true? My new commute is taking me up the North Quays some days and I stick to 30ish, but am I actually allowed to bomb it while cars *have* to do 30 max??

1 - Doesn't seem to fair as the 30 is for safety of all (including peds)
    2 - I realise this is all entirely hypothetical as its not like anyone will ever enforce it. Ever (Judging by the amount of cars going well over this, driving in bus lane, motorbikes using the cycling infra etc)

kenmm wrote: »
    Wait - is this true? My new commute is taking me up the North Quays some days and I stick to 30ish, but am I actually allowed to bomb it while cars *have* to do 30 max??

1 - Doesn't seem to fair as the 30 is for safety of all (including peds)
    2 - I realise this is all entirely hypothetical as its not like anyone will ever enforce it. Ever (Judging by the amount of cars going well over this, driving in bus lane, motorbikes using the cycling infra etc)

Yeah there's no speed limit for bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles. plus, a bicycle usually doesn't have a speedo (nor is required to have one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Reminds of the time a guy pulled out in front of me from a side road and then proceeded to tell me if I had hit him it would of been my fault for cycling to fast. When I explained it was nonsense he told me he was a cyclist too so knew what he was talking about I just cycled off at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

tnegun wrote: »
    cycling to fast.......was a cyclist

Had both of the separately

Taxi driver stuck in traffic decides.....screw this and decides to take a left turn with looking .... my fault for cycling too fast

Going down hill towards the quays in heavy traffic.......filtering between cars which are stopped......woman car coming from opposite direction turns right right in front of me ..... Never bothered looking uphill for other on coming traffic .... also hold me I shouldn't have been cycling between the cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got a call from the Garda that took on my incident to come in and give over the whole memory card so he can take all the footage, not just the two minutes either side I've taken off and put on a memory stick. I hope he doesn't take my memory card now.

I could put on the whole clip on a memory stick if he wants

Update: Garda told me his hours, 7am-3pm, arrive a few mins after 7. Go to the desk, oh he's not in yet. You can wait if you like. I was like sure. Waited for 20 mins and got up and walked out.

Might see if I can post the memory stick when I call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Disgusted a girl passed him out.

On a fixie.

And then scolded him.

Correctly.

This happens to me a reasonable amount. I'm not especially fast so if I am passing you, you probably have a heavy bike or you're taking your time. I can't tell you the number of times I've passed a much slower (male) cyclist (to the point where it's difficult to cycle behind them) only for them to pull in front of me at a red light and start the whole process again. Again and again.

I even had it happen as a pedestrian two weeks ago. Walked past a man on a (very wide) footpath. There's no way I could have startled him or put him off course or anything like that, I was nowhere near him. He kind of huffed in annoyance and took off at a sprint. I assumed he had seen a bus he was trying to catch or something but no, he ran a little further ahead, looked back at me and resumed his normal pace. When I went to pass him again he kept weaving to either side of the footpath to block me from passing him. Absolutely bizarre.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    only for them to pull in front of me at a red light and start the whole process again. Again and again.

Regards less of "can't let a girl pass" angle this happens all the time anyway.

It is just part of the general lack of awareness a lot of people have on the roads. Selfish, must get ahead (even if the net effect is just to slow everyone down). Most of the time I don't even bother with the ASL jungle and just sit in the Queue of cars and get round them once I can 'see how the dust settles'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The cyclist is in the middle of the lane, I pop out to the outside of the lane, and the cyclist just throws their arm fully out, missing me by mere cms. I shouted 'you need to look behind yourself honey' as I went by.

We ask that cars don't pass us within an arm span, why not other cyclists? What if they swerved a foot or two around something into your path, one of the common arguments used for a safe passing law? Common courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    This happens to me a reasonable amount. I'm not especially fast so if I am passing you, you probably have a heavy bike or you're taking your time. I can't tell you the number of times I've passed a much slower (male) cyclist (to the point where it's difficult to cycle behind them) only for them to pull in front of me at a red light and start the whole process again. Again and again.

That's called shoaling and the idiots do that everyone, nothing to do with gender. Used to drive me nuts when I cycled along the grand canal to work as it was so difficult to pass them out in the narrow cycle path again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Had a punishment pass this morning. I overtook the traffic waiting at the lights but they turned green as I got to the front. I'm on an ebike so I figured it better to accelerate out in front and pull back in, I could probably have handled it better.

The Lexus driver seemingly didn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Jesus! Trafficwatch that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TheChizler wrote: »
    We ask that cars don't pass us within an arm span, why not other cyclists? What if they swerved a foot or two around something into your path, one of the common arguments used for a safe passing law? Common courtesy.

Always seem to do this, it would be the exact same when overtaking in a car.
    Stark wrote: »
    That's called shoaling and the idiots do that everyone, nothing to do with gender. Used to drive me nuts when I cycled along the grand canal to work as it was so difficult to pass them out in the narrow cycle path again.

Had this on my way home yesterday, actually got a bit of surprise that someone was tailgating behind me for ages until I got to a hill and managed to put a bit of distance between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

5uspect wrote: »
    Had a punishment pass this morning. I overtook the traffic waiting at the lights but they turned green as I got to the front. I'm on an ebike so I figured it better to accelerate out in front and pull back in, I could probably have handled it better.

The Lexus driver seemingly didn't like that.

F*cking awful driving :mad:

As an aside, look at all that beautiful traffic! Brings a tear to the eye to see so many mindlessly committed to endlessly sitting in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Stark wrote: »

This discussion is amusing. While driving in areas with lots of traffic lights, I've often overtaken the same cyclist(s) several times as they come back ahead of me again at the next lights. It's a bit frustrating but that's life!

If I came on here and complained about them I know exactly the reaction I would get. Don't be impatient, it shows the futility of driving, cyclists have the same right to use the road, etc.

The situation described here is exactly the same with a cyclist being inconvenienced by a slower cyclist. However it is now apparently 'selfish', 'lack of awareness', 'slowing everyone down' and there is even a name for it. Surely I can't be the only one to see the hypocrisy in this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Shoaling (aka being a c**t) is shoaling no matter who you do it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

TheChizler wrote: »

I agree with this. I nearly hit another cyclist today as he was overtaking me very closely. I was going to overtake another cyclist ahead of me, and in the process of doing my shoulder check I veered ever so slightly and nearly hit into this other guy to my right, he was that close. I apologised and no harm done but when I thought about it afterwards, he really should have been further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yet again this morning at the first roundabout on Chesterfield Av at the Castleknock end of the Phoenix Park a car sails through the roundabout without looking or yielding. I was already on the roundabout taking the 3rd exit down Chesterfield Avenue with a strong front light and the ever fabled high-vis so had to jam on or he’d have taken me out of it. I let a roar which frightened him and caused him to mount the roundabout itself so I believe it wasn’t malicious, just another brain dead motorist. I have the reg which shows the NCT expired in Jun 2019 so one for traffic watch I think. Maybe if I make enough complaints they’ll do something to improve the layout, probably the most dangerous section of my commute which also includes the quays and city centre traffic with commuters using the park as an early morning racetrack.

Shoaling (aka being a c**t) is shoaling no matter who you do it to.

Suppose I'm driving and I have a cyclist in front of me. It may take a while to overtake them but eventually I do. When stopped at the next traffic light, the cyclist moves ahead of me and the whole process starts again.

Am I allowed to call this shoaling and complain about the cyclist? If not, why not? What's the difference?

Martin567 wrote: »
    The situation described here is exactly the same with a cyclist being inconvenienced by a slower cyclist. However it is now apparently 'selfish', 'lack of awareness', 'slowing everyone down' and there is even a name for it. Surely I can't be the only one to see the hypocrisy in this?

Why am I a hypocrite because someone else on a bike slowed you down once?

If I am driving or cycling I get annoyed when someone inconsiderately bullies their way to the front of a Q then carries on with no awareness to anyone around them.

Suppose I'm driving and I have a cyclist in front of me. It may take a while to overtake them but eventually I do. When stopped at the next traffic light, the cyclist moves ahead of me and the whole process starts again.

Am I allowed to call this shoaling and complain about the cyclist? If not, why not? What's the difference?

Shoaling is specifically a group of people doing this then spreading out. You can complain about whatever you want!

There is a slight difference with car vs bike as some junctions do have advance stop lines for vulnerable road users. However, me personally wont fight to the front then stop in the centre of it as I would rather just keep up with the flow of traffic (when I can).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Of course. The same should apply regardless of whether you're in a bike or a car. Only overtake if you're going to make progress. I'd only move up at the lights if there's a chance I wouldn't make it through at the next sequence, i.e. a chance I'd stay ahead of the people who've just overtaken me.

Of course. The same should apply regardless of whether you're in a bike or a car. Only overtake if you're going to make progress. I'd only move up at the lights if there's a chance I wouldn't make it through at the next sequence, i.e. a chance I'd stay ahead of the people who've just overtaken me.

Interesting. I agree but highly doubt if that would be a majority view on this forum.

Interesting. I agree but highly doubt if that would be a majority view on this forum.

:)

Not all cyclists behave the same? No more than all drivers are the same. Not all cyclist are on this forum (and at a guess I would say a lot of cyclist here would have done some sort of training/be part of a club/ have loads of good bike handling experience).

You think there is a secret meeting or hidden social media site where its agreed on how to use the road when cycling (to maximise inconvenience to anyone not on a bike)?

Each situation is on its own, unfortunately there are simply a lot of oblivious fu(kers (on all modes of transport) out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have the reg which shows the NCT expired in Jun 2019 so one for traffic watch I think. .

You can check if a given registration number has a valid NCT? Seriously? where?

Not going to mention GDPR.

Edit: Nevermind Google told me.

https://www.ncts.ie/1264

Advertisement