Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fian wrote: »
    You can check if a given registration number has a valid NCT? Seriously? where?

Not going to mention GDPR.
    NCTS.ie - go to make a booking for the reg and it will tell you when the cert expires - this is my car...

501495.png

Edit: beaten to it by your edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

https://www.ncts.ie/1263

Don't know why you need to mention not mentioning GDPR - got nothing to do with it - no personal information revealed.

EDIT: Never seen the edit

^ there is the English language link - the site seems to take an interesting approach to localisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What if it is an UK reg can you check them in some way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No record of my car. Assuming it's because they only have cars on file that have done at least one previous NCT?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »

If its from Great Britain you can check the current tax and MOT status on one site (above poster) or get the full MOT history including advisories, failures etc on another gov site (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk).

DVLA NI do not provide such a service online, so if a car went from NI to GB and back then the NI years are not available.

If its a UK car in ROI.. then I have no idea if NCT shows this.

No record of my car. Assuming it's because they only have cars on file that have done at least one previous NCT?

Dunno - I tested it with a made up 171 number and it worked..(showed not due and I could do a voluntary test).

Maybe if its newer than '17 it wont work as 17 will come online for NCT testing this year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's a 17 too, but only registered last year (UK import). Maybe they bulk upload once a year or something?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ferris wrote: »
    Jesus! Trafficwatch that anyway.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Not a near miss but an observation.

Walking home from Tesco......young woman early 20s driving towards me.....I can see the illumination of her phone .... as she passes me she's head down cradling her phone with both hands typing away with the briefest glance up.....WTF

Ironically there's a Garda station on the same road that she'd be driving towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

micar wrote: »
    Not a near miss but an observation.

Walking home from Tesco......young woman early 20s driving towards me.....I can see the illumination of her phone .... as she passes me she's head down cradling her phone with both hands typing away with the briefest glance up.....WTF

Ironically there's a Garda station on the same road that she'd be driving towards.

I was watching car traffic on Burgh Quay the other evening. Drivers stopped in the yellow box, drivers switching lanes. drivers in the bus lane... I saw one driver fly up the bus lane and then cut into the regular lane in front of a big SUV. Thought I was going to hear an angry horn, then realised the SUV driver was looking down at his phone and hadn't noticed anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

TheChizler wrote: »
    We ask that cars don't pass us within an arm span, why not other cyclists? What if they swerved a foot or two around something into your path, one of the common arguments used for a safe passing law? Common courtesy.

I gave him 3 feet. When i was up to him, he was in thre middle of the lane, and I was at the white line. The other 2 who passed him were the same. He'd been in that position for quite a while so i just thought he was holding the road between lights.
    He was doing the old magic have out and move. Except here doesn't put his hand out and move till I was beside him, and moved towards me.

Re shoaling, happens all the time, and more when you're a woman, for sure.
    I mean they even have a stupid bullshyte name for when a woman is faster than you :rolleyes:

5uspect wrote: »
    Had a punishment pass this morning. I overtook the traffic waiting at the lights but they turned green as I got to the front. I'm on an ebike so I figured it better to accelerate out in front and pull back in, I could probably have handled it better.

The Lexus driver seemingly didn't like that.

Jesus.
    Report the fcuk out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

All the crazies were out in Lucan today my fault for not taking the lane I was distracted having an argument to myself :o road is completely clear but the driver chose the one possible pinch point to pass me. https://streamable.com/5950y

No idea what this guy was up to what you can't see is he is just as the video starts he almost hits me cycling on the wrong side of the road with no lights, then after weaving all over the road maybe he was taking the lane?? he breaks a red light on the wrong side of the road again to mount a footpath and start walking so not in a rush??? https://streamable.com/e6emj

tnegun wrote: »
    All the crazies were out in Lucan today...

It certainly seems that way.

It was a long ****ing day I didn’t need another muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

ffs two in a row the first guy wasn't much better than the second.

It certainly seems that way.

It was a long ****ing day I didn’t need another muppet.

But didn't you listen - you were in the road.. like you were actually cycling on the middle of the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The audacity (and it's been said to me before) to admit close passing a cyclist, at speed, on purpose because the driver feels the cyclist isn't positioned correctly. It's shocking when we know they wouldn't try it with a fork lift or a digger for fear of damaging their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hand in my mouth with this one

kenmm wrote: »
    But didn't you listen - you were in the road.. like you were actually cycling on the middle of the road :rolleyes:

Tearing along the dotted line. :pac:

It’s pretty clear from my shadow how I’m positioned. My GoPro is mounted somewhat to the right of my handlebar too so I’ve no idea how I’m in the middle of the road.

https://imgur.com/PvLB1jv

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The audacity (and it's been said to me before) to admit close passing a cyclist, at speed, on purpose because the driver feels the cyclist isn't positioned correctly. It's shocking when we know they wouldn't try it with a fork lift or a digger for fear of damaging their car.

I’m somehow in the middle of the road and yet he can’t seem able to use the ****ing opposite lane to overtake. Flawless logic.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

Best thing he did in that video was to look down to highlight his position on the road before the overtake. Exactly the right place.

Tearing along the dotted line. :pac:

ye exactly (for clarity - I was being sarcastic!!) - in my mind you were taking a considerate line - far enough from the left to avoid all the sh!te like drains and crap road, but as far over as possible given the width or road etc. The driver was being a complete pr!ck and then got all defensive when called out on it. Please report it, but I fear it will result in little action..

ye exactly (for clarity - I was being sarcastic!!) - in my mind you were taking a considerate line - far enough from the left to avoid all the sh!te like drains and crap road, but as far over as possible given the width or road etc. The driver was being a complete pr!ck and then got all defensive when called out on it. Please report it, but I fear it will result in little action..

If the OP does report it, point out the age of the driver and the N on the rear window. I suspect from what I've seen and heard of him in the video the Gardaí calling to his door to have a word with him will do him the world of good :D

I just reported the punishment pass from this morning, the Gardai in Lucan are going to be sick of me. :(

They never got back to me after the incident on the N4 last year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I’m somehow in the middle of the road and yet he can’t seem able to use the ****ing opposite lane to overtake. Flawless logic.

I know you did nothing wrong, but from his warped perspective you did and he chose to (and admitted to) close passing you on purpose. Even if you were out of position for whatever reason it's no excuse to buzz you like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

eeeee wrote: »
    I gave him 3 feet. When i was up to him, he was in thre middle of the lane, and I was at the white line. The other 2 who passed him were the same. He'd been in that position for quite a while so i just thought he was holding the road between lights.
    He was doing the old magic have out and move. Except here doesn't put his hand out and move till I was beside him, and moved towards me.
    The way you originally described it it sounded like they nearly knocked you off with their arm. First mention of them moving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not sure if this is the right place for it:

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2020/january/month-of-action-in-respect-of-road-safety-%E2%80%93-february-2020.html

Cyclists

Cyclist are vulnerable road users and every effort must be made to ensure that where cycle lanes have been made available, that they are accessible to the cyclist. Each Divisional Roads Policing Unit and Community Policing Unit will ensure that regular patrols are conducted in areas where cycle lanes are provided and where vehicles are obstructing these lanes appropriate action will be taken. Garda Members are aware of the new offence of ‘Dangerous overtaking of a Pedal Cycle’ and where such incidents are reported they will be fully investigated. The Road Safety Authotrity will be running radio advertisement throughout the month highlighting this issue.

Supt Golden “I would also appeal to pedal cyclists to be aware of the Fixed charge notices which apply to them on the public road. These offences all carry a €40 FCPN

Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
    No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
    Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated
    Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
    Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
    Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

Cyclists have a responsibility to stay within the rules of the road for the safety of all”

TheChizler wrote: »
    The way you originally described it it sounded like they nearly knocked you off with their arm. First mention of them moving too.

They did.
    It was very unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyclist are vulnerable road users and every effort must be made to ensure that where cycle lanes have been made available, that they are accessible to the cyclist. Each Divisional Roads Policing Unit and Community Policing Unit will ensure that regular patrols are conducted in areas where cycle lanes are provided and where vehicles are obstructing these lanes appropriate action will be taken. Garda Members are aware of the new offence of ‘Dangerous overtaking of a Pedal Cycle’ and where such incidents are reported they will be fully investigated.
    This is a good commitment to get in writing. It should be quoted to any Garda reticent about investigating properly.

The Road Safety Authotrity will be running radio advertisement throughout the month highlighting this issue.
    Does nobody spell check a press release? Does nobody check grammar?
    Supt Golden “I would also appeal to pedal cyclists to be aware of the Fixed charge notices which apply to them on the public road. These offences all carry a €40 FCPN

Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
    No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
    Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated
    Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
    Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
    Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

Cyclists have a responsibility to stay within the rules of the road for the safety of all”
    They just couldn't help themselves, could they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People never believe me when I say you can have multiple incidents in a short space of time.

Advertisement