Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place for it:

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2020/january/month-of-action-in-respect-of-road-safety-%E2%80%93-february-2020.html

Cyclists

Cyclist are vulnerable road users and every effort must be made to ensure that where cycle lanes have been made available, that they are accessible to the cyclist. Each Divisional Roads Policing Unit and Community Policing Unit will ensure that regular patrols are conducted in areas where cycle lanes are provided and where vehicles are obstructing these lanes appropriate action will be taken. Garda Members are aware of the new offence of ‘Dangerous overtaking of a Pedal Cycle’ and where such incidents are reported they will be fully investigated. The Road Safety Authotrity will be running radio advertisement throughout the month highlighting this issue.

Supt Golden “I would also appeal to pedal cyclists to be aware of the Fixed charge notices which apply to them on the public road. These offences all carry a €40 FCPN

Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
    No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
    Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated
    Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
    Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
    Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

Cyclists have a responsibility to stay within the rules of the road for the safety of all”

It should be in the Comic section.
    Particularly the part about mobile phone use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    People never believe me when I say you can have multiple incidents in a short space of time.

I had two late last year, that I forgot to post about.

Heading outbound through Fairview. Rain was really heavy. Bus driver started to overtake, then pull in right on top of me just before Tesco. He realised at the last minute and swerved right. I don't know how he didn't spot me as he was approaching.

Then approaching a red light at the Malahide Rd. junction, I was in the cycle lane, intending to proceed straight ahead. A woman in the lane to my right started to pull across to enter the left turning lane, no indication, phone in her hand. I tapped on her window and she backed off.
    At the lights she was then two cars behind me and she started beeping her horn and yelling out her window. I rolled back to her, where she was saying how dare I touch her car.
    I told her she almost knocked me down and that she shouldn't be using her phone while driving. She responded she wasn't, and then I pointed to her phone, in her lap, open. She wasn't backing down at all so I just left her to fume away to herself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

:D French magnatom vs the original Scottish one!

(I mean in terms of friendliness.. I don't speak french, but it sounded way more jolly that oooiiiii ya fu(king @rsehole, whit ye dain etc - and finished with a thank you very much!)

tLA9x3V.jpg

This delivery guy pulled in like this on Lombard St., despite there being a parking spot a few metres away.
    He could also have pulled in straight, in the place where he stopped, and not blocked the cycle lane.
    He also blocked the entrance to a business, and there's a car behind him tying to turn into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    This happens to me a reasonable amount. I'm not especially fast so if I am passing you, you probably have a heavy bike or you're taking your time. I can't tell you the number of times I've passed a much slower (male) cyclist (to the point where it's difficult to cycle behind them) only for them to pull in front of me at a red light and start the whole process again. Again and again.

I even had it happen as a pedestrian two weeks ago. Walked past a man on a (very wide) footpath. There's no way I could have startled him or put him off course or anything like that, I was nowhere near him. He kind of huffed in annoyance and took off at a sprint. I assumed he had seen a bus he was trying to catch or something but no, he ran a little further ahead, looked back at me and resumed his normal pace. When I went to pass him again he kept weaving to either side of the footpath to block me from passing him. Absolutely bizarre.

Yeah!!! Brave men! A couple of years ago we were slowly cycling home with the kids, wife was on front of me with one of the kids, I was following 100 metres behind with our second favourite kid :) on a 8 metre wide path (huge) and some brave man in his sixties jumped up from a bench and hit the roof at my wife!! Blocked her path, f'ing and blinding!

I went by and he completely ignored me but the wife had stopped and he saw her talking to me, I turned around and he legged it in to the church!! Good wife followed him in and humiliated him for bullying her with that type of language in front of his peers and the priest. Priest thought it was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Horseshoe600

I'd like to say this was a near miss, but unfortunately I got hit by a truck the other evening cycling home from work. Lights front and back, and I was wearing high viz vest.

I was in a cycle lane, I didn't even see it coming. I was peddling away when I was skittled up in the air and onto the road. I gathered myself to my feet. I looked forward to see a flatbed truck speeding through a green lit junction. I was stumbling in a daze like I'd been KO'd in a boxing match. Managed to scramble my way to the footpath. Some kindly strangers in a car pulled over to check to see if I was ok. They saw the incident. The truck had pulled out of a middle lane into the buslane beside the cycle lane I was in. It had a wide flat body the front edge of which hit me.

I'm still very much dazed and confused at this stage. As far as I can make out I've somehow avoided any serious injury, just aches and pains all over. At this point the people in the car point towards a guard on a motorbike who had just pulled up at the junction. I make my over and attempt to speak to them. However I'm an incoherent rambling mess as the guard is not grasping or taking on board what I'm saying I don't think. The people in the car come over and explain to the guard in much clearer terms what had happened. The guard didn't seem too interested, they didn't try to take any of my details or even get off their bike to engage with me. A few moments later the guard sees a couple of cars parked up beyond the junction with people standing around talking and decides this is a more pressing matter so drives off to attend to them.

The kindly people in the car were very helpful towards me. Offers to drive me home, or to the hospital. I wish I had been in a more coherent state to have taken their details even if only to thank them.

I manage to cycle the rest of the way home. Stripped off my clothes to reveal some roadrash, bumps, bruises, broken skin. But beyond that I can't believe how blessed I am. I go to the local guarda station to report the incident, for whatever that's worth. It happened at a Luas junction in Tallaght near Citywest. The guarda behind the counter(Ronanstown) is mightily relieved when he hears the incident happened over in Tallaght, stating that he couldn't possibly take the details and that I'd have to go to Tallaght station.

I go to Tallaght station and tell my story. Hoping that they might be able to retrieve some CCTV from the Luas junction. The guard seems only halfway interested. He tells me that he's going on leave in a few days, I ask will there be anybody else following up on this in his absence or trying to get the footage. No he says.

Physically I've been very lucky but mentally I'm fragile, the impact knocked me for six, and the knowledge of how close I came to being taken out for real is making me feel I can't be biking any more. I've been cycling(roadbiking and MTB) for years, and have been cycling to work to avoid the godawful traffic around west Dublin, but now I think that might be over for me.

Apologies for the long drawn out post, I'm not sure of what the purpose of it is really. Maybe just to get my thoughts out if nothing else. I wish I had the presence of mind at the time to take the details of that biker garda on the scene and the people who stopped to help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

I go to Tallaght station and tell my story. Hoping that they might be able to retrieve some CCTV from the Luas junction. The guard seems only halfway interested. He tells me that he's going on leave in a few days, I ask will there be anybody else following up on this in his absence or trying to get the footage. No he says.

Disgraceful-There's an election coming up, get onto the local TD's and whinge at them to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jesus Christ, I don't know what's worse, what happened to you or the inexcusable actions of the work dodging Gardai. At this pont I'd be contemplating the Garda ombudsman with formal complaints if you get no satisfaction from the super. The fact it was at a Luas junction means I'd be certain there'd be CCTV to both identify the offender and the Garda who didn't want to know you.

And I'd be shoving this down their throats
    Cyclists

Cyclist are vulnerable road users and every effort must be made to ensure that where cycle lanes have been made available, that they are accessible to the cyclist. Each Divisional Roads Policing Unit and Community Policing Unit will ensure that regular patrols are conducted in areas where cycle lanes are provided and where vehicles are obstructing these lanes appropriate action will be taken. Garda Members are aware of the new offence of ‘Dangerous overtaking of a Pedal Cycle’ and where such incidents are reported they will be fully investigated. The Road Safety Authotrity will be running radio advertisement throughout the month highlighting this issue.

[url] https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2020/january/month-of-action-in-respect-of-road-safety-–-february-2020.html[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Horseshoe600

francois wrote: »
    Disgraceful-There's an election coming up, get onto the local TD's and whinge at them to do something

Apologies I should clarify so that I'm not wronging the guard completely. He DID say that he would make some sort of effort to get on to the relevant area to try and get footage, but he said that when he was on leave that there would be nobody else taking this up in his absence. I asked him is it not the case that his investigations are picked up by someone else(I'm maybe wrong in thinking that it should be), and he reacted like this was a daft notion.

He indicated that any examination of CCT is highly unlikely to reveal any meaningful information about the incident. I enquired as to whether there was a way of somehow tracing the guard on the bike and he said no not really, and that there wouldn't be much point in trying.

I'm not interested in getting into any garda bashing btw, I'd just really like it if the guy in the truck who hit me could be traced somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

To me it comes across as ineptitude. At the very least CCTV could identify the truck before or after it hit you. I understand that they're busy but he's just giving excuses first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I wonder would the British Police have an attitude like this , I doubt it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Apologies I should clarify so that I'm not wronging the guard completely. He DID say that he would make some sort of effort to get on to the relevant area to try and get footage, but he said that when he was on leave that there would be nobody else taking this up in his absence. I asked him is it not the case that his investigations are picked up by someone else(I'm maybe wrong in thinking that it should be), and he reacted like this was a daft notion.

He indicated that any examination of CCT is highly unlikely to reveal any meaningful information about the incident. I enquired as to whether there was a way of somehow tracing the guard on the bike and he said no not really, and that there wouldn't be much point in trying.

I'm not interested in getting into any garda bashing btw, I'd just really like it if the guy in the truck who hit me could be traced somehow.

Sorry to hear what happened to you. Hope you can bounce back from it.

The graciousness of your attitude towards the guards is commendable, but on the other hand their ongoing lack of motivation to do anything is one of the main reasons the moron in the flatbed truck and others like him feel so comfortable and empowered to continue doing their sh1t dangerous driving and to not give any f**ks for the lives of people on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I'd like to say this was a near miss, but unfortunately I got hit by a truck the other evening cycling home from work. Lights front and back, and I was wearing high viz vest.

That's a hit and run. If it was me, I'd spend a few quid and have my solicitor hound the superintendent at Tallaght station, and take it to GSOC if there was no satisfaction.

I know it easy to say in hindsight and hard to do when the adrenaline is pumping, but the best thing you could have done is lie on that road until the emergency services came to take you to A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

501649.jpg

Had an SUV pull across from outside lane into the service station, had to follow them in to avoid going under it. Literally a couple of inches. Their passenger saw me and the driver stopped dead and got out, looking around for mysterious cyclist I can only assume, still hadn't seen me and I'm in front of the ****ing car at this point.

I dunno, that's two very similar in 2 days. Maybe my lane positioning is too passive or I'm going too fast.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'd like to say this was a near miss, but unfortunately I got hit by a truck the other evening cycling home from work.

That’s truly awful. You should go see a doctor and get checked over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thank god you are OK. You are extremely fortunate to walk away from getting hit by a passing truck. You should get your self checked over.

Its totally understandable that you were confused afterwards. This does not excuse the attitude of the Garda you spoke to.

As for what happened at the first station and then Tallaght, its appalling, but so consistent with their policing of incidents like this. Meanwhile, a serious amount of resources are deployed keeping criminals from killing each other.

Its just not on and I for one see the Garda as fair game for negative comment when this is their attitude to a victim of a hit and run. I would encourage you not to take this fob off and demand they go capture any cctv available on that road or junctions before and afterwards. There cannot be many vehicles of that type on this stretch of road at that time.

Meanwhile, take it easy and don't make any decision about stopping cycling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Horseshoe is it too late to report it through Traffic Watch?
    A cyclist I follow on twitter advises to always call it in through TW as it will get properly followed up on.
    Very sorry to hear you had a bad experience btw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Update: Garda told me his hours, 7am-3pm, arrive a few mins after 7. Go to the desk, oh he's not in yet. You can wait if you like. I was like sure. Waited for 20 mins and got up and walked out.

Might see if I can post the memory stick when I call.

Finally got to meet the Garda assigned my incident today. Took the footage, and my statement. He was really nice and helpful and took everything on board that I was saying, even had a chat with him which is not what I was expecting at all.

Finally got to meet the Garda assigned my incident today. Took the footage, and my statement. He was really nice and helpful and took everything on board that I was saying, even had a chat with him which is not what I was expecting at all.

Much more an outside of Dublin thing maybe but I recall a paragraph at best in the local paper last year of someone being done for dangerously over taking a cyclist on a roundabout in town (footage involved) in the court news section. I had 4 people mention it to me that week. Family, neighbours and a work colleague and they would likely have talked about it with others after my input. This was before new legislation came into effect and those people likely spoke about it further with others so a prosecution and it being publicised can be a cause for change in people. Usually in the local paper it's boring stuff like people up for no insurance etc. Must see if I can find the piece if i can.

• Advertisement

Heading home after a spin up to Glencullen. Made it to the coast in Clontarf then turned up my road, there's a car driving down the wrong side of the road. Slammed on the brakes and turned to avoid but came off the bike. Landed with a tumble, but no damage to myself or the bike.
    The guy said he was manoeuvring to get into a parking spot and was apologetic, after first thinking he was in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

5uspect wrote: »
    Today's moron

And the clear contrast with the two decent drivers ahead of the moron.

And the absence of any oncoming traffic or bend, any actual reason for the close pass.

It would make an interesting test case under the new legislation, in the light of the Garda press release from last week saying that all such reports will be fully investigated.

Try calling Garda TrafficWatch line to report it.

Today's moron

What camera are you using, nice image from it even after youtube has done it's thing to it.

What camera are you using, nice image from it even after youtube has done it's thing to it.

It’s a GoPro Hero 2018 that’s has the Hero Black 5 firmware running on it. Usually record at 2.7K60.

The 2018 was a barebones model with artificially limited features. The firmware hack enables the GPS, 4K and high frame rate recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Not a near miss but completely moronic driving on the strawberry beds this morning that could have ended very badly.

Was coming through the speed bump section, just before Strawberry Hall, 2 cars in front of me, 3 behind me. Everyone tipping along at ~30k/hr and keeping close enough together. Very last car (black VW golf) in the group pulls the genius move of deciding to overtake the lot of us, bouncing over the speed bumps and dragging the cars undercarriage along the ground. Driver was very lucky that there was nothing coming the other way or it would have ended in disaster.

Got into work and started looking up cameras, Hero 7 seems like a good shout. Need to start capturing this stuff and sending it to TW.

What time was that? I left late today so was down there around 9:30. Might have seen him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

What time was that? I left late today so was down there around 9:30. Might have seen him.

Was at about 8:20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Used to commute on the strawberry beds for a while a few years ago. Have to say my sympathies goes to anyone cycling along there. Absolutely lunatic driving guaranteed there on a daily basis. Reported two incidences of dangerous driving - the gardai did follow up on one, the other fell into obscurity.....

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Used to commute on the strawberry beds for a while a few years ago. Have to say my sympathies goes to anyone cycling along there. Absolutely lunatic driving guaranteed there on a daily basis. Reported two incidences of dangerous driving - the gardai did follow up on one, the other fell into obscurity.....

Still better than the N4.

Advertisement