Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just curious - did you just drop in with the video in your hand and ask to make a report on the spot?
    I went home and downloaded the vids from the cycliqs to a laptop (for backup) and then copied them.onto my phone.
    Showed the garda the phone videos and said I have the originals. She asked could I email them in. When I said they were about 1.5Gb each she looked at me as if I had been speaking Greek.
    Anyhow, apparently the statement will be sent from Leixlip to Celbridge and they may look for the vids

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Idleater wrote: »
    That clause is for amber no? Red is just stop.
    You should stop on Amber, the clause is for vehicles already on the junction, they may complete their turn to clear the junction, regardless of the light on the far side (provided it is safe to do so).

Light goes Amber as the Taxi entered. The Merc enters when it was Amber and should have been able to stop, there was no danger. It is fully red as the Skoda enters and then still Red (obviously) as the truck enters.

Yes the OP should not have rolled out while vehicles are rolling through, no matter what light colour they had but the only vehicle entering from the right out of the four who did not break the law was the Taxi, who had entered a Yellow box to turn right and was clear to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Apologies for the language in this. I think his window was open so i had a little word with him.

https://streamable.com/urk6l

I cycle that junction everyday, and it's by far the worst for drivers breaking red lights.

Have you contacted the company to complain?
    I often leave bad google reviews for companies who have drivers like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Did you want them all to stop in the middle of the junction?
    I prefer if drivers don't deliberately break lights, regardless of whether they end up blocking a junction or not.
    This known to happen and yes there is a rule which is stop if it is safe to do so. It was not safe to stop.

Are you on drugs? If I decide I don't want to wait at red lights in my car, and just drive though them instead, do you think the Gardai will accept my excuse that it's dangerous for me to stop because I don't want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I went home and downloaded the vids from the cycliqs to a laptop (for backup) and then copied them.onto my phone.
    Showed the garda the phone videos and said I have the originals. She asked could I email them in. When I said they were about 1.5Gb each she looked at me as if I had been speaking Greek.
    Anyhow, apparently the statement will be sent from Leixlip to Celbridge and they may look for the vids

Thanks, did you give a formal witness statement (handwritten by the Garda on the official form) and signed by you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Celbridge are all right if a little inaccessible. The station's only open on Wednesday from 1 to 4, so any time I've had to go down, it was outside public hours. I hope you got a contact name.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Effects wrote: »
    I cycle that junction everyday, and it's by far the worst for drivers breaking red lights.

Have you contacted the company to complain?
    I often leave bad google reviews for companies who have drivers like this.

It's the pits for red light jumping.

Nah, i don't bother anymore, i never seem to get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

An otherwise perfectly pleasant spin around north Wicklow ruined by this joker. It appears the positioning of the temporary lights were my fault. I've deliberately left it longer as I feel it shows the full incident. I wouldn't mind, but I was wearing my 1.5m gilet with a huge camera logo on the back:

This one will be removed shortly as it's going to Trafficwatch

Edit: Removed and reported

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That was close, what a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

The fact they nearly hit the ditch on their left to avoid the 1st set of lights should say a lot about their judgement

• Advertisement

An otherwise perfectly pleasant spin around north Wicklow ruined by this joker. It appears the positioning of the temporary lights were my fault. I've deliberately left it longer as I feel it shows the full incident. I wouldn't mind, but I was wearing my 1.5m gilet with a huge camera logo on the back:
    Wow, that's bad! My one pales in comparison to that.

Thanks, did you give a formal witness statement (handwritten by the Garda on the official form) and signed by you?
    I did.
    Steoller wrote: »
    Celbridge are all right if a little inaccessible. The station's only open on Wednesday from 1 to 4, so any time I've had to go down, it was outside public hours. I hope you got a contact name.
    A contact in Celbridge? No but apparently they'll be in touch and I'll have it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

5uspect wrote: »
    That was close, what a tool.

Yeah that was bad alright. I'm so conditioned to bad passes from both here and Twitter but that one made me wince.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Effects wrote: »
    I prefer if drivers don't deliberately break lights, regardless of whether they end up blocking a junction or not.

Are you on drugs? If I decide I don't want to wait at red lights in my car, and just drive though them instead, do you think the Gardai will accept my excuse that it's dangerous for me to stop because I don't want to?

Very simple 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can say what you like I never said the driver was right. All I did was point out the initial complaint about the driver was not acknowledging that green didn't mean go and the cyclists should have waited. If you think that is crazy we simply disagree.

I have seen many a cyclist go through lights much later and if a car went on about the light being green for them they would equally be in the wrong. It isn't them and us with cars and bikes it is rule breakers and those that don't.

People complain about lack or lights and breaking red lights by cyclists and they are right it is a problem. I don't say it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Had a similar enough one to that yesterday evening at the corner of Luttrellstown Golf Club just at the junction with Rugged Lane where a driver behind tried to overtake me on the blind bend and then dropped anchor and swerved in towards my rear wheel with an oncoming car. Yet another driver with an expired NCT (stupid you can't check motor tax online in a similar fashion) but you'd think if not fully road compliant you wouldn't be doing stupid things and attracting attention to yourself. Garda twitter is full of such idiots so another for TrafficWatch and maybe they'll send him a few points in the post.

Painful you can't email or webform in TrafficWatch reports also, more difficult to telephone during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Painful you can't email or webform in TrafficWatch reports also, more difficult to telephone during the day.

Whenever I hear someone say that traffic offences are a revenue generating exercise, I remind them how much work has to go into actually making a complaint and how rarely they're followed up on in any official capacity.

I'm still waiting on two incidents with two different Garda stations - Lucan and Pearse St. Lucan rang me once for a chat, said they'd get back on to me. Pearse St I went in, Garda filmed my footage on his phone (and asked me to send on my camera model as he wanted to get one) and said he'd let me know how his chat with the driver went.

I haven't heard anything from either of them since end of October.

buffalo wrote: »
    Whenever I hear someone say that traffic offences are a revenue generating exercise, I remind them how much work has to go into actually making a complaint and how rarely they're followed up on in any official capacity.

I'm still waiting on two incidents with two different Garda stations - Lucan and Pearse St. Lucan rang me once for a chat, said they'd get back on to me. Pearse St I went in, Garda filmed my footage on his phone (and asked me to send on my camera model as he wanted to get one) and said he'd let me know how his chat with the driver went.

Very true, the amount of time and paper work is beyond ridiculous for little if any result. The one and only time I made a statement I arrived at Cabra station by appointment following a telephone call, I had my statement printed and said I could email it in if that was easier but Garda had to go through it and handwrite everything on their own form for me to sign as per below.

That was nearly a year ago and never heard anything since on it.

If you've half an hour spare, have a look at some of the compilation of 2018 reports from CycleGaz (in London)...

https://twitter.com/cyclegaz/status/1225047347635392513

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Look at the reluctance to use technology for traffic offences. How in 2020 are people only caught in driving in bus lanes if a Garda happens to be driving past or posted there 1 day a month as a token exercise. If ANPR cameras were implemented cars driving in bus lanes would cease immediately, but there is no appetite to do this. Same with taking complaints from cyclists, no interest in using technology unfortunately. And it isn't the fault of the Garda, it comes from far higher up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Travelling at about 37km/h between the two bridges at Hazelhatch Co Dublin according to Strava but that wasn't fast enough for this dick (excuse my language in the video).
    Statement made in Leixlip Garda Stn last night so hopefully three points and a fine for their impatience.

That clip really shows the benefit of having front and back cameras.

Rear-facing angle it's hard to see how tight they cut across you. Can kind of see them moving across but not the easiest to make out.

Front angle is pretty definitive and makes it much harder for a guard (or anyone else) to try and dismiss it.

• Advertisement

Look at the reluctance to use technology for traffic offences. How in 2020 are people only caught in driving in bus lanes if a Garda happens to be driving past or posted there 1 day a month as a token exercise. If ANPR cameras were implemented cars driving in bus lanes would cease immediately, but there is no appetite to do this. Same with taking complaints from cyclists, no interest in using technology unfortunately. And it isn't the fault of the Garda, it comes from far higher up.

drive in a bus lane, park in a bus stop of stop in a yellow box in London and your fine will be waiting for you by the time you get home.

I thought I had used every possible variation in handing video to AGS, including CD, DVD, USB, emailed YouTube link, emailed link to Google Drive download and probably a few more - but that's a new one, the Garda taking his own (heavily degraded) video copy on what is probably is own personal device. It's a bit of a nightmare from a corporate data control purposes, so I hope it gets the job done. There is a risk of a case going to Court, and I think they'd need to make the evidence available to the defence beforehand, including the video, so I'm not sure how that would work then.

If you've half an hour spare, have a look at some of the compilation of 2018 reports from CycleGaz (in London)...

Some hair raisers there, 9 points and court for the bus was a surprise, we know what would happen here :rolleyes:

I did get a laugh from the woman at the start flashing him while behind him, yeah he can see that in his rvm love. :D

I'll watch the rest later.

Aegir wrote: »
    drive in a bus lane, park in a bus stop of stop in a yellow box in London and your fine will be waiting for you by the time you get home.

I heard part of the discussion on SOR this morning around transport and heard priority bus lanes on motorways mentioned for here. We all know what will happen there don't we.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Did you want them all to stop in the middle of the junction? This known to happen and yes there is a rule which is stop if it is safe to do so. It was not safe to stop.

Thats on Amber. Which in this country means speed up. Red means do not pass, but if you speed up on Amber you are going to run a red everytime. For a lot of motorists, the first few seconds of red mean keep going.

I fail to understand your thinking or logic on this piece of video.

6 points and £200 for mobile phone use is saucy, could you imagine if that was here and as easy report, there would be no congestion problems as there would be no one left on the roads.
    Jees, the guy at 26:15 with no front tyre took the biscuit, did well to take the right turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They often ask me this question. It bugs me a bit that they don't have the map of Garda boundaries in front of them, but I usually check the boundaries myself before making a report, just to be sure it doesn't get misdirected.

How do you find that out?

Edit: Removed and reported

Why remove it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

6 points and £200 for mobile phone use is saucy, could you imagine if that was here and as easy report, there would be no congestion problems as there would be no one left on the roads.
    Jees, the guy at 26:15 with no front tyre took the biscuit, did well to take the right turn.

On the cycle home this evening, a car had a red light, as mine went green but I knew they were going to continue through. So I stood there and raised my arms.in disbelief. Running a red, a right hand turn, one I mentioned here a few weeks ago where the injuries from a crash under similar circumstances were hard to remember (as in I wish I couldn't). Head was in their phone. It is ****ing disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what also is a pain re garda boundaries, is that some stations are not full time.
    we once happened on the scene of an accident here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5111052,-6.3521945,18.75z
    for those who know the road, it's the bend just south of sam dennigans on the garristown road. anyway, i rang ashbourne garda station to report it and got talking to an officious garda who told me no, i'd have to ring balbriggan. turns out that area is under garristown garda station, but as it's not a full time station, balbriggan are responsible when garristown station is closed.
    ashbourne garda station was less than 5km from us, balbriggan about 20km. the road was closed, it was a head on collision (thankfully with only superficial injuries) which closed the road, but the garda in ashbourne could not have been less interested.

FWIW, i later sent an email to the garda press office to complain/ask WTF the situation was later that day and got an apologetic response saying the garda should have taken the details, contacted the despatch office who would task a car to the scene, and he said he'd emailed the super in both garda stations about it. colour me sceptical.

Advertisement