Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I would have wrote to the Super myself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mc Love wrote: »
    I would have wrote to the Super myself.

In fairness with the likes of that we'd all have been better off if you wrote to Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Does anybody know who has priority here when the lights are green? Normally I always stop since motorists plough on through when they have a green light but yesterday I was slightly in a world of my own going home and a pretty aggressive motorist was screaming out the window and sitting on the horn. I waved him through but my god there was absolutely no need for that behavior.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Does anybody know who has priority here when the lights are green? Normally I always stop since motorists plough on through when they have a green light but yesterday I was slightly in a world of my own going home and a pretty aggressive motorist was screaming out the window and sitting on the horn. I waved him through but my god there was absolutely no need for that behavior.

Hmmmmm to me that is T junction not a crossroad and the green is for going left and right not straight on is which an entrance to a car park of the GAA club which crosses a footpath so they must yield to pedestrians and bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Downhill has a give way/ yield - up hill - there is barely even any clue that there is another entrance (the GAA club I think?).. more poorly thought infra!

Presumably there is no indication to the motorists that there is a cycle lane behind the wall. Disaster.

• Advertisement

It's a difficult one and I don't know what direction you or the driver were coming from.
    However, I would hazard a guess that the people on the footpath/cycle path have priority given the stop line for traffic exiting the side road is behind the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It's a difficult one and I don't know what direction you or the driver were coming from.
    However, I would hazard a guess that the people on the footpath/cycle path have priority given the stop line for traffic exiting the side road is behind the paths.

Apologies I should of been clearer, I was travelling westbound ie towards Lidl while the driver was exiting the GAA club.

I've seen pedestrians nearly knocked down by motorists coming from Stonemasons Way who have the green light, its a horrible setup.

If he was exiting the GAA club then he must yield regardless of whether the light is green or blue with pink spots.
    The driver anyhow showed themselves to be a complete ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Green, amber and the first 3-5 seconds of red all mean "Get the fu(k outta my way?", no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Apologies I should of been clearer, I was travelling westbound ie towards Lidl while the driver was exiting the GAA club.

I've seen pedestrians nearly knocked down by motorists coming from Stonemasons Way who have the green light, its a horrible setup.

This is an awful set up. Driver should be more courteous to you and just wait for you to clear. However, it's a general free for all there. Many motorists coming out of the club block the lane.

A good example why on pavement cycling infrastructure is not fit for purpose. Personally, I cycle on the road there and the other side as its so bad and so confusing. Also a lot of left hooks from motorists turning into Lidl and just ignore they are crossing a cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

2 days ago I was heading into Fenagh, sunny day as on the maps, good visibility all around. There was a lad tearing down in his pickup truck from the farm to the main road, intends to cross the gate and do a 90 degree left turn.
    I knew I had to be careful considering his speed and not looking to his right. There was a big brake slamming on both sides as he spotted me approaching (and I knew he might not slow down). I let out an ef you and shook my head without looking at him. That was it, made no drama, no hand shaking, nothing. Then I heard him making the turn onto the main road and while overtaking me, thanked me with crunching gearchange and a pedal to the floor exhaust smoke into my lungs.

Did he want to do a handbrake turn or what? Entering the main road without looking well ahead could be dangerous. What if that cyclist would had been a lorry? Some people just don't care. :-(

Place

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Two clips for today yay.

Not serious just though it was funny to see a learner using the opposite lane as a turning lane and blocking an entire Junction.
    https://streamable.com/w02yz

Serious one that had me bracing for an impact. I was taking the 3rd exit at a roundabout and he came straight out of the 2nd exit without looking. https://streamable.com/s7q2b

Not bad for the first day back on the bike after some annual leave from work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Kander wrote: »
    Serious one that had me bracing for an impact. I was taking the 3rd exit at a roundabout and he came straight out of the 2nd exit without looking. https://streamable.com/s7q2b

The second one is a little ambiguous. It's a two lane roundabout, so if you're taking the third exit, shouldn't you exit into the right-most lane of your exit? Which allows those taking the same exit - but as their first/second exit - to use the left-most lane of the exit.

That's how I'd treat it while driving, and I'd be prepared for other people to treat it like that while I'm cycling.

I presume that he is not properly insured whilst having his missus and the baby in there with him
    Stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Driver ran a red light I'd suspect. That exit from BSJ had a traffic light controlling it the last time I came out of there or has that been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

buffalo wrote: »
    The second one is a little ambiguous. It's a two lane roundabout, so if you're taking the third exit, shouldn't you exit into the right-most lane of your exit? Which allows those taking the same exit - but as their first/second exit - to use the left-most lane of the exit.

That's how I'd treat it while driving, and I'd be prepared for other people to treat it like that while I'm cycling.

The driver in this case wasn't taking that first exit from their side, they were going straight across.

In a car yes staying out in that second lane would be a good option however I would disagree that is a wise move when on a bike. The entire section is uphill and I don't think being out in lane two going slowly with commuting gear would be good for my health.

http://tiny.cc/arwpjz this is the roundabout to see the perspective of the long hill

Another one today who initially appeared to seem oblivious to having passed me (which them annoyed me).
    The Merc overtook me perfectly along Castleknock Ave. The BMW driver obviously thought he didn't need to be as courteous. He obviously wasn't expecting the ruffian on the bicycle to engage with him.
    (You'll need a swear filter - sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I presume that he is not properly insured whilst having his missus and the baby in there with him
    You could ask the company about his driving and his insurance status.

http://www.gaswise.ie/contact.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Two clips for today yay.

Not serious just though it was funny to see a learner using the opposite lane as a turning lane and blocking an entire Junction.

I've recently seen a spate of non learners, or at least no L plates doing the same type of thing.

Had someone try to take a Left turn from Amiens street onto Seville place too this week. And every so often I see the same as some cretin does it onto Whitworth road coming from Phibsboro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Another one today who initially appeared to seem oblivious to having passed me (which them annoyed me).
    The Merc overtook me perfectly along Castleknock Ave. The BMW driver obviously thought he didn't need to be as courteous. He obviously wasn't expecting the ruffian on the bicycle to engage with him.
    (You'll need a swear filter - sorry!)

That's on my commute. It's a nasty stretch and I've been close passed there I'd say hundreds of times at this stage. I'm considering using the side roads on my way to home (riverwood) as that stretch is turning into a real pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Used to come home that way too and had several close passes along there (I’ve recently moved to Lucan with its own car problems). That whole series of roads from Castleknock through to Riverwood is full of dopey drivers on the last leg home who’ve completely tuned out.

Here’s one from last year.

Was passing shops this evening and the clown in the last parking space on the left while indicating decides to move off and continue onto the footpath with 2 wheels on it and on coming peds and head beat into the drivers side mirror :eek:

Between me shouting and pointing and the car behind beeping he stops with meters to spare and the peds had a high wall to their right and not the space for him to get by them.

He'd driven about 15-20 meters with 2 wheels on the path, idiot. The look he cut me with I pointed to he people on the path up ahead told me all I needed to know and kept going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Two clips for today yay.

I'd have stopped in front of them and waited for them to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

On the two I reported to Traffic Watch got a call back on the second and they're going to track down the driver to get their version, for the first I called the station and it has been transferred to another station and the guard is on leave so I've to give it another week very frustrating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tnegun wrote: »
    On the two I reported to Traffic Watch got a call back on the second and they're going to track down the driver to get their version, for the first I called the station and it has been transferred to another station and the guard is on leave so I've to give it another week very frustrating.

For the first, that isn't what is happening, its a startling effective tactic from certain gardai, this will be all you ever hear. Did you ever recieve the very exciting victim impact letter where they give you details on available services.

Spoke to a Gardaí today and submitted the video of the close pass I experienced in Ranelagh in January. The driver will most likely receive a FCPN.

5uspect wrote: »
    Spoke to a Gardaí today and submitted the video of the close pass I experienced in Ranelagh in January. The driver will most likely receive a FCPN.
    Did you have to make a statement (written by the gatda) and sign it?
    Do you have to go to court as a witness? Does it even go to court?

Did you have to make a statement (written by the gatda) and sign it?
    Do you have to go to court as a witness? Does it even go to court?

Made a statement which the Garda wrote down and I signed. He told me there are a number of offences of increasing severity. This is a FCPN and the next one up would require a court date. He said it was the best course of action. If the driver doesn’t pay up or disputes it then it will go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

More of a double WTF that a near miss for me at least. Waiting for a Punto to clear the roundabout and I see the drive of car in the right lane is looking at me at least but then begins to move off into the path of the Punto. The reason for looking at me becomes clear as they pull left across me, I've no idea what white van man was doing other than saying f you and your bike.

https://streamable.com/h3oid

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    Check the URL tnegun...
    Oops!
    We couldn't find your video.

Advertisement