Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Fixed it
    tnegun wrote: »
    More of a double WTF that a near miss for me at least. Waiting for a Punto to clear the roundabout and I see the drive of car in the right lane is looking at me at least but then begins to move off into the path of the Punto. The reason for looking at me becomes clear as they pull left across me, I've no idea what white van man was doing other than saying f you and your bike.

https://streamable.com/h3oid

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The reason for looking at me becomes clear as they pull left across me, I've no idea what white van man was doing other than saying f you and your bike.
    Just selfish impatience :rolleyes:
    You can be fairly sure that had you moved off earlier they would have blasted their horn at you.

Yeah stupid stuff would of cost them nothing to hold on, that roundabout has been changed recently too it used to be left lane was left only and right was straight ahead so I would try take the center of the right lane so no left hooks but is a free for all now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Did you have to make a statement (written by the gatda) and sign it?
    Do you have to go to court as a witness? Does it even go to court?

Oh, and the Garda also mentioned that he would consider going after the taxi driver blocking the bus lane also.

Got a call back on the first incident I reported too, guard wants me to give them the footage on a USB key though to continue with it :(

• Advertisement

Got a call back on the first incident I reported too, guard wants me to give them the footage on a USB key though to continue with it :(

It’s for continuity of evidence. Use an old USB drive or burn it to a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was making decent progress into a headwind along the grand canal this evening and had a green light to cross west from Hilton hotel over to the Barge Pub. Just as I was about to cross, a car heading outbound towards Ranelagh breezed straight through the red light and over the bridge. Scared the absolute ****e out of me. Had I been there 2 seconds later I’d have been completely taken out. Driver was looking ahead to the green light on the other side of the canal. Probably didn’t even see the light.

5uspect wrote: »
    burn it to a CD.
    That's a great idea have a ton of those in the back of a press just need to dust off the burner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tuxy wrote: »

I bought the same although went for a bit higher

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's a good sign that they're taking it seriously, in fairness.
    tuxy wrote: »

Wouldn't get much video onto a 128 Mb drive. The standard 4 minute clip I save on my Drift Ghost is anything from 350 Mb to 550 Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was making decent progress into a headwind along the grand canal this evening and had a green light to cross west from Hilton hotel over to the Barge Pub. Just as I was about to cross, a car heading outbound towards Ranelagh breezed straight through the red light and over the bridge. Scared the absolute ****e out of me. Had I been there 2 seconds later I’d have been completely taken out. Driver was looking ahead to the green light on the other side of the canal. Probably didn’t even see the light.

Rain on the lens, but just now realising had I not been slightly delayed overtaking the cyclist at the start of the clip, I'd have been T-boned. Good times.

https://streamable.com/g0maj

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's Traffic Watch's operating hours? I've been on hold for 30 minutes before being cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's Traffic Watch's operating hours? I've been on hold for 30 minutes before being cut off.
    Not unusual in my experience - they close at 10pm. I found early morning to be best for getting an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers. Last time I had to ring was about 5 years ago on a Sunday evening and got through handy enough from what I remember. I'll give them a try again tomorrow so.

It's a good sign that they're taking it seriously, in fairness.

Wouldn't get much video onto a 128 Mb drive. The standard 4 minute clip I save on my Drift Ghost is anything from 350 Mb to 550 Mb.

Handbrake is a nice tool to compress video gently if you’re stuck, but I’d suggest doing as little to the video as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cheers. Last time I had to ring was about 5 years ago on a Sunday evening and got through handy enough from what I remember. I'll give them a try again tomorrow so.
    Has anyone had trafficwatch refuse to take a report?

I was trying to get through to them all weekend for my last report. Finally got through on the Monday, and when they heard my incident had occurred on the previous Friday, they didn't want to take it. "You should really be reporting this at the time" was the attitude. I got them to take it, but he was very obstructive.

^^^ the garda.ie site doesn't mention time limits...
    Can I report bad driving?

Members of the public can call Traffic Watch lo-call number1890 205 805 to report aggressive driver behaviour, driving hazards and traffic-related incidents. Calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar. The reported incident is then forwarded to the relevant Garda Station for investigation.
    https://www.garda.ie/en/Victim-Services/Reporting-a-crime-FAQs/Can-I-report-bad-driving-.html
    ...or on the main TW page - https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/road-safety/traffic-watch.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Steoller wrote: »
    Has anyone had trafficwatch refuse to take a report?

I was trying to get through to them all weekend for my last report. Finally got through on the Monday, and when they heard my incident had occurred on the previous Friday, they didn't want to take it. "You should really be reporting this at the time" was the attitude. I got them to take it, but he was very obstructive.

I've gotten that attitude before alright. As if because you didn't phone from the scene of the crime while lying prone on the tarmac, it can't have been that bad.

Another time I had had a few incidents over a few weeks, and I wasn't really bothered calling as I've never had any success with reporting to TW/Gardaí. Something spurred me into ringing TW anyway at some point, but they told me they could only take one incident per call, so take my pick. I don't remember which one I picked, but I know I never got a call from the Gardaí about it.

I think I went for the punishment pass for not using the cycle lane on a Sunday morning in an otherwise empty industrial estate:

The other choices were an overtake followed by slamming on the brakes (complete lack of anticipation):

Or the red-light breaking followed by a tiiiiiight pass:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

buffalo wrote: »
    I've gotten that attitude before alright. As if because you didn't phone from the scene of the crime while lying prone on the tarmac, it can't have been that bad.

Another time I had had a few incidents over a few weeks, and I wasn't really bothered calling as I've never had any success with reporting to TW/Gardaí. Something spurred me into ringing TW anyway at some point, but they told me they could only take one incident per call, so take my pick. I don't remember which one I picked, but I know I never got a call from the Gardaí about it.

I think I went for the punishment pass for not using the cycle lane on a Sunday morning in an otherwise empty industrial estate:

The other choices were an overtake followed by slamming on the brakes (complete lack of anticipation):

Or the red-light breaking followed by a tiiiiiight pass:

2 and 3 were close ones, i'd have picked 3 myself with the oncoming traffic and squeeze surely as dangerous as they can drive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    2 and 3 were close ones, i'd have picked 3 myself with the oncoming traffic and squeeze surely as dangerous as they can drive

1 was not as close, but at speed and deliberate - the road was empty. I spoke with the driver and he saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he had done, no hint of remorse or a suggestion that he might do anything differently next time. I figured he was definitely in need of education, and also I could identify the actual person driving the car.

I thought 3 would be the easiest to prosecute (I have rear footage of the car going through a clear red), but I've reported an incident on the Greenhills Road before and Crumlin and Tallaght stations argued over whose responsibility it was until the statute of limitations kicked in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not me, but something I witnessed yesterday.

That new bike lane bit near sheriff street (where someone was unfortunately killed a few years ago) yesterday, a cyclist up ahead with their green light.

I noticed the van on the road speeding up, started indicating. Absolutely no way he was going to be ahead of the bike. Came within inches of knocking her off. He had to stop to ensure he didn't hit her.

I didn't have my camera but at the time I told her I had the reg but have since forgotten it.

It was as bad a case of driving I've ever seen, and she was definitely shook by it. I used to turn off into the IFSC just before there, but now I'm across the river so I've some terrible spots like that

Driver was so so close, it could have been so much worse

Ignorant, clueless driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Really crap day.
    Taxi 1)
    ON the Stillorgan dual-carriage into town after the stupid lights before St Terisians a Taxi driver with a passenger rolls down the window and starts screaming at me "well done", quite weird and scary and then I realised a couple of bikes broke the light and I didnt so he was actually genuinely saying well done in a scary loud and dangerous manner, beggars belief.
    Taxi 2) On the way home just before the Radisson in Stillorgan I put my hand out and overtook a bike, still in the bike lane and another pr1ck Taxi rolls down his window and starts screaming at me a hand doesn't give me right of way. I had to signal aggressively while overtaking to slow him so he was pissed. I was annoyed so told him where to go when he dangerously swerved into me. I saw Garda car that I overtook so started hitting his car to try and get him out, he just said I saw the Garda and drove off.

Really getting p!ssed with the roads and aggression. Unfortunately up to this point I thought Taxis weren't all **** but I no longer care they can all fnck off. Time to lobby for them out of the bus lanes.
    Sorry for the rant but what a crap day!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Went 2km to my friend's house last night.

One close pass and nearly two head on collisions caused by drivers trying to overtake me with incoming traffic.

I was nearly sure I was going to be a witness to a head on collision when a van overtook me on a steep high and didn't have enough acceleration to get back on the correct side of the road.

Gave a statement last night re the Airport Hopper pass and I won't be wasting my time doing that again, took 3 attempts to meet the guard and he didn't even view the footage. Told me he would get a statement from the driver but that it was my word against his and the video might not even be considered and I'll have to go to court for any penalty to be applied. Will see how far it goes if it gets any where. This morning had a stupidly close pass for no reason I was stopped at the lights ahead of the truck got well out in front when they changed and he practically skimmed me outside Leixlip Garda. I caught up with him and in fairness he was immediately apologetic and admitted fault then executed a perfect pass passing the Springfield hotel so thats about the best outcome I can hope for.

• Advertisement

I was nearly sure I was going to be a witness to a head on collision when a van overtook me on a steep high and didn't have enough acceleration to get back on the correct side of the road.

This is me on most of my commutes

Advertisement