Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

5uspect wrote: »
    Handbrake is a nice tool to compress video gently if you’re stuck, but I’d suggest doing as little to the video as possible.

Yes, I agree on doing nothing to the video. They need to be able to read reg plates and see phone screens etc.
    Steoller wrote: »
    Has anyone had trafficwatch refuse to take a report?

I was trying to get through to them all weekend for my last report. Finally got through on the Monday, and when they heard my incident had occurred on the previous Friday, they didn't want to take it. "You should really be reporting this at the time" was the attitude. I got them to take it, but he was very obstructive.

This is absolute nonsense. There is an issue about having to issue a summons I think within six months of the incident. I've reported incidents to TW from weeks back, and I think once or twice from months back.

This really is obstructive, and is possibly worth taking further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yes, I agree on doing nothing to the video. They need to be able to read reg plates and see phone screens etc.

This is absolute nonsense. There is an issue about having to issue a summons I think within six months of the incident. I've reported incidents to TW from weeks back, and I think once or twice from months back.

This really is obstructive, and is possibly worth taking further.

Agree. It's only by being persistent will there ever be a chance of something being done to make it easier to report traffic incidents. The current process is hopelessly out of date. I am also bewildered that AGS regularly seek dash cam footage to help solve other crimes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On a short spin home from work, I had a number of close passes. This was the straw that broke the camel's back (and I got majorly peed off).
    I caught up with him and lost it.
    Swearing filter needed!

https://strava.app.link/kkrW3R7X43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Here's the one from this morning slow enough but stupidly close, I caught up with the diver and had words with in in Leixlip village. In fairness he was instantly apologetic and didn't try deny it just said he misjudged it and was extremely sorry and then patiently waited behind for a safe spot to pass then executed it perfectly!

Considering the response I got reporting I think I'll just try the educate route in future as it would take far less of my time and might actually have an outcome!

tnegun wrote: »
    In fairness he was instantly apologetic and didn't try deny it just said he misjudged it and was extremely sorry and then patiently waited behind for a safe spot to pass
    That's better than my lad who thought he had done nothing wrong because he had his indicator on :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

On a short spin home from work, I had a number of close passes. This was the straw that broke the camel's back (and I got majorly peed off).
    Swearing filter needed!
    That guy is a complete clown and shows typical behavior when the queues start on the N4. I gave up the N4 for the same reason and only travel a few 100m on it now. Looking at your strava link you should have some options to avoid it? If you can its not worth the stress and risks.

That's better than my lad who thought he had done nothing wrong because he had his indicator on :rolleyes:
    Honestly I was quite taken back by his reaction when I caught up to him I was fully convinced he'd think he did nothing wrong but nothing could be further from the truth is was genuinely remorseful so I couldn't ask for more.

That guy is a complete clown and shows typical behavior when the queues start on the N4. I gave up the N4 for the same reason and only travel a few 100m on it now. Looking at your strava link you should have some options to avoid it? If you can its not worth the stress and risks.
    The N4 is usually grand and I usually get a nice tailwind on the Ballyowen Rd (awful headwind on N4 this eve). I tend to use the Adamstown/Newcastle Rd on my way to work. The other alternative is to go cross country but that has its own risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Here's the one from this morning slow enough but stupidly close, I caught up with the diver and had words with in in Leixlip village. In fairness he was instantly apologetic and didn't try deny it just said he misjudged it and was extremely sorry and then patiently waited behind for a safe spot to pass then executed it perfectly!

Considering the response I got reporting I think I'll just try the educate route in future as it would take far less of my time and might actually have an outcome!

You are very forgiving, perhaps the Garda car get passed just before you made him think twice, certainly didn't alter his driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Double white line too

• Advertisement

Ooops posted the wrong link to show the after above, fixed it now.

Swearing filter needed!

Not blaming you in any way, but in general, if you're going to bring an incident to the Gardai, you have to rein in on the swearing. Otherwise you'll be cautioned about possibly being charged under the Public Order Acts yourself, which is a bit of a distraction from the important issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Would removing sound from you video have any negative effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Not blaming you in any way, but in general, if you're going to bring an incident to the Gardai, you have to rein in on the swearing. Otherwise you'll be cautioned about possibly being charged under the Public Order Acts yourself, which is a bit of a distraction from the important issue.

Amazing how the legal entities in Ireland can extend every consideration (excuse) in order to excuse away the actions of someone who has just killed or maimed somebody with a vehicle :

"We are only human.."
    "We are not automatons...."
    "Out of character, normally of good character"

Etc etc

..and yet We apparently cannot extend any of the same considerations to a highly distressed road user who has dropped a couple of f bombs immediately after having their very life put under threat by having 1.5 tonnes of metal wielded at them....

The cynic in one might almost get the feeling that was being used to shut down complaints from people that the same legal entities have no interest in hearing.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Amazing how the legal entities in Ireland can extend every consideration (excuse) in order to excuse away the actions of someone who has just killed or maimed somebody with a vehicle :

"We are only human.."

Etc etc

..and yet We apparently cannot extend any of the same considerations to a highly distressed road user who has dropped a couple of f bombs immediately after having their very life put under threat by having 1.5 tonnes of metal wielded at them....

The cynic in one might almost get the feeling that was being used to shut down complaints from people that the same legal entities have no interest in hearing.

Fully agree with you btw. Just flagging up the tactics required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I removed the audio from my recent close pass because I used the c word

What do ye use to edit the video? I just use VLC to record/extract the interesting sections.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Personally I use the GoPro app to get the footage off the camera. It’s a little cumbersome so I usually take a longer section and then use the builtin trim tool in quick look on my Mac to get the right length and then I encode the video to mp4 with handbrake. That let’s you disable the audio.

Pretty sure Handbrake let’s you trim too.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Duckjob wrote: »

"We are only human.."

Etc etc

The reason for warning you of this possibility is a sound one. The other party is entitled to be 'offended' by your language and therefore entitled to make a counter complaint. Obviously this would generally be a tactic to get you to drop your original complaint but what if the Guard didn't forewarn you of this possibility and you wound up in court as a defendant?

I think in that event any of us would ask 'why didn't you tell me at the time that this could happen?'

While it's a natural reaction to shout - I do it myself every time - you have to remember that just becasue you've made the original call doesn't immunise you from prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

1 or 2 cyclists down on North King Street this morning just before 9. Car coming out of Bow street looks like she hit them. Ambulance and 2 fire brigades in attendance

Always have cars pulling out at this junction, so dangerous

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.349823,-6.275727,3a,75y,342.39h,73.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soSFXLcrDCHcY0tlUqOPVVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Hope cyclists are ok after it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

zefer wrote: »
    1 or 2 cyclists down on North King Street this morning just before 9. Car coming out of Bow street looks like she hit them. Ambulance and 2 fire brigades in attendance

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.349823,-6.275727,3a,75y,342.39h,73.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soSFXLcrDCHcY0tlUqOPVVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I hope the cyclists are ok.

Does the junction look the same today as it's represented in Google Streetview? There appears to be no Stop sign to notify traffic coming from Bow St onto King St, and no Stop notice painted on the ground. In fact, no line on the ground until the FAR side of of the cycle lane.

That is an absolutely lethal setup and I'm sure no one is accountable for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

zefer wrote: »

I go that way daily. The cars left hooking along with the car coming out of that road is a constant issue. Been so many close calls at that spot it was bound to have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Nomination for best right-hook.

Driver crosses 3 lanes (bicycle, bus and a regular traffic lane) and all while only traveling a distance of about two car lengths to do so.

I just don't know how anyone can drive to the top of the bus lane in this scenario - knowing that they want to be turning right. Madness.

(Video glitches a bit as the video rolls over to a new file just after the green-light)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did you notice no one beeped or gave out, guarantee if you'd done it there would be a cacophony of noise if you had done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Swearing filter needed!

Seth, I get your anger and would have felt the same as yourself in that situation. But, but, but....Id be very wary of confronting motorists in that manner. Your video above got me thinking of that case in Dun Laoighire a few years back whereby a man didnt pull off from the lights quick enough, the motorist behind beeped and within no time the other motorist got out, grabbed a hurley from the boot and hit the other motorist on the head with it- he died two hours later of a brain hemorrhage.

Theres just two many lunatics out there to take the risk. Plus confronting a lad in a VW Golf which is a car of choice for many drug dealers. For all you knew you could have been confronting a coked up gangland criminal who wouldnt have thought twice about running his car over you.

Not trying to be dramatic or anything and 5/6 years ago I would have confronted the driver in the way you did. But Ive changed on that because there is just so much boiled up stress and anger on the roads these days that its just not worth it. Better to just leave it and report it to the Gardai.

You've gotta think that some of these eejits are driving around with pure rage inside them cursing cyclists and then if a cyclist knocks on their window to confront them over their driving then things can escalate very quickly. I can actually see a serious incident happening along these very lines in Dublin at some point in the near future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Near miss for a commuter ahead of me, coming upto a turn on the N11, grey car sped up and cut across him just at the turn. I don't even know how the car made it through. Thankfully the guy turned too look and with instincts like a cat rolled into the corner while braking. The car never slowed, never even noticed I imagine. I really thought I was about to have to call an ambulance, I till cannot figure out how there wasn't a nasty collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seth, I get your anger and would have felt the same as yourself in that situation. But, but, but....Id be very wary of confronting motorists in that manner. Your video above got me thinking of that case in Dun Laoighire a few years back whereby a man didnt pull off from the lights quick enough, the motorist behind beeped and within no time the other motorist got out, grabbed a hurley from the boot and hit the other motorist on the head with it- he died two hours later of a brain hemorrhage.

Theres just two many lunatics out there to take the risk. Plus confronting a lad in a VW Golf which is a car of choice for many drug dealers. For all you knew you could have been confronting a coked up gangland criminal who wouldnt have thought twice about running his car over you.

Not trying to be dramatic or anything and 5/6 years ago I would have confronted the driver in the way you did. But Ive changed on that because there is just so much boiled up stress and anger on the roads these days that its just not worth it. Better to just leave it and report it to the Gardai.

You've gotta think that some of these eejits are driving around with pure rage inside them cursing cyclists and then if a cyclist knocks on their window to confront them over their driving then things can escalate very quickly. I can actually see a serious incident happening along these very lines in Dublin at some point in the near future.

What is a drug dealer's choice of vehicle ? I'm certain I got asked this in a table top quiz and the answer was High-Ace

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    What is a drug dealer's choice of vehicle ? I'm certain I got asked this in a table top quiz and the answer was High-Ace
    Even the dogs on teh street know the vehicle of choice is a white BMW.

Amateurs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Even the dogs on teh street know the vehicle of choice is a white BMW.

Amateurs!

I heard its a white Audi A4. BMW are just too common.

Advertisement