Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    What is a drug dealer's choice of vehicle ? I'm certain I got asked this in a table top quiz and the answer was High-Ace
    Even the dogs on teh street know the vehicle of choice is a white BMW.

Amateurs!

It has to be white once your up from the corner seller. I think the cost of the car then dictates where on the ladder you are and how likely you are to be shot or under Garda surveillance. White Land Rovers are likely to be near the top. White BMW near the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seth, I get your anger and would have felt the same as yourself in that situation. But, but, but....Id be very wary of confronting motorists in that manner. Your video above got me thinking of that case in Dun Laoighire a few years back whereby a man didnt pull off from the lights quick enough, the motorist behind beeped and within no time the other motorist got out, grabbed a hurley from the boot and hit the other motorist on the head with it- he died two hours later of a brain hemorrhage.

Theres just two many lunatics out there to take the risk. Plus confronting a lad in a VW Golf which is a car of choice for many drug dealers. For all you knew you could have been confronting a coked up gangland criminal who wouldnt have thought twice about running his car over you.

Not trying to be dramatic or anything and 5/6 years ago I would have confronted the driver in the way you did. But Ive changed on that because there is just so much boiled up stress and anger on the roads these days that its just not worth it. Better to just leave it and report it to the Gardai.

You've gotta think that some of these eejits are driving around with pure rage inside them cursing cyclists and then if a cyclist knocks on their window to confront them over their driving then things can escalate very quickly. I can actually see a serious incident happening along these very lines in Dublin at some point in the near future.

It's a personal choice of course, but the chances of something escalating to a serious incident are infinitesimally small. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to your neighbour as he lets his dog crap on your lawn each evening, then sure, say nothing. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to someone who barges into the ATM queue ahead of you, or barges into you at the Luas door as you're exiting, then sure, say nothing.

If you want things to change, you might want to think about saying something.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seth, I get your anger and would have felt the same as yourself in that situation. But, but, but....Id be very wary of confronting motorists in that manner. Your video above got me thinking of that case in Dun Laoighire a few years back whereby a man didnt pull off from the lights quick enough, the motorist behind beeped and within no time the other motorist got out, grabbed a hurley from the boot and hit the other motorist on the head with it- he died two hours later of a brain hemorrhage.

Theres just two many lunatics out there to take the risk. Plus confronting a lad in a VW Golf which is a car of choice for many drug dealers. For all you knew you could have been confronting a coked up gangland criminal who wouldnt have thought twice about running his car over you.

Not trying to be dramatic or anything and 5/6 years ago I would have confronted the driver in the way you did. But Ive changed on that because there is just so much boiled up stress and anger on the roads these days that its just not worth it. Better to just leave it and report it to the Gardai.

You've gotta think that some of these eejits are driving around with pure rage inside them cursing cyclists and then if a cyclist knocks on their window to confront them over their driving then things can escalate very quickly. I can actually see a serious incident happening along these very lines in Dublin at some point in the near future.
    I hear what you're saying.
    I felt that had I just gone to the gardai and reported the incident, by the time they were in touch with him, he would have forgotten it and therefore it whouldn't register in terms of what exactly it was that he did wrong.
    I made the call (in anger I guess) to say something to him but yes, he could have been a complete nutter (more than his driving suggests).

Anyhow, as Andrew J mentioned, I really need to use more decorum when I lose the plot! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I heard its a white Audi A4. BMW are just too common.

Nope, you're all wrong. It's a Nissan Almera coupled with an 085 phone number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Thethunder

Absolutely despise cyclists in Dublin who "commute" via cycling.

Like, if yiz want a bit if exercise, then cycle around the park at the weekend.

Can completely understand frustrated motorists and the so called "near misses. People don't have time for your crap. Drive in like the rest of the punters. Use the bus lane (only a 60 blip fine and no peno point) and you'll fly into work.

The way I see cycling to work is, it's for losers. If you spend 4 years in college and end up cycling to work, you've lost at life basically. The aim in life is to get a nice car, good job and a few holidays a year. Can't sell the lifestyle of cycling to work to kids thinking about the value of a college education.

I get into a nice heated seat car, sit back and cruise home. Couldn't give arats about pollution either (in case anyone wants to attack me on that).

Anyway, rant over. But, to sum up, I get why commuters see cyclists as very frustrating. I myself have never had a near miss with a cyclist, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thethunder wrote: »
    Absolutely despise cyclists in Dublin who "commute" via cycling.

Like, if yiz want a bit if exercise, then cycle around the park at the weekend.

Can completely understand frustrated motorists and the so called "near misses. People don't have time for your crap. Drive in like the rest of the punters. Use the bus lane (only a 60 blip fine and no peno point) and you'll fly into work.

The way I see cycling to work is, it's for losers. If you spend 4 years in college and end up cycling to work, you've lost at life basically. The aim in life is to get a nice car, good job and a few holidays a year. Can't sell the lifestyle of cycling to work to kids thinking about the value of a college education.

I get into a nice heated seat car, sit back and cruise home. Couldn't give arats about pollution either (in case anyone wants to attack me on that).

Anyway, rant over. But, to sum up, I get why commuters see cyclists as very frustrating. I myself have never had a near miss with a cyclist, mind.

Mod Note: And that's enough trolling for one day.

Respond via pm do not respond in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fair play to the taxi man who tailgated and beeped his horn behind me on the bike / bus lane on the north quays at Capel Street bridge this morning. I completely forgot it was a 30kph zone, thanks so much for reminding me, and on hindsight it was the prudent choice to maintain this speed to O'Connell Bridge.

Not the first time that this Dacia Duster (131-WH-322) has given me a close pass. The other three vehicles showed proper consideration. The VW van (the fourth to pass me) waited until the other side was clear. Dacia man decided to overtake when a dumper truck was approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I had an incident last week coming through Drumcondra , there is a new lidl been built there and I was heading out of town . The bike lane was blocked with construction vehicles so I stayed in the bus lane for a few hundred meters and not the off street bike lane , well a taxi came flying up behind me and beeped all the while passing within a foot or so.
    I caught up with the guy at the lights and told him it's really frightening when someone beeps you like that and passes at same time as I turned to look who was beeping and that combined with the close pass meant I was disorientated. He told me to get off the f'ing road and cyclist think the own the road ..... Blah blah blah .

Drivers should be more aware of how disorientating it is when someone beeps right on top of you unexpectedly, not sure how you can communicate this , maybe a clever advertising campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I had an incident last week coming through Drumcondra , there is a new lidl been built there and I was heading out of town . The bike lane was blocked with construction vehicles so I stayed in the bus lane for a few hundred meters and not the off street bike lane , well a taxi came flying up behind me and beeped all the while passing within a foot or so.
    I caught up with the guy at the lights and told him it's really frightening when someone beeps you like that and passes at same time as I turned to look who was beeping and that combined with the close pass meant I was disorientated. He told me to get off the f'ing road and cyclist think the own the road ..... Blah blah blah .

Drivers should be more aware of how disorientating it is when someone beeps right on top of you unexpectedly, not sure how you can communicate this , maybe a clever advertising campaign.

I'm sure the fool had absolute no awareness of the sense of irony in what he was saying.

I don't thing these fools can be educated - their minds are just too closed. Only thing that can possibly change their behavior is punishment. ie. the state gets it act together and starts to reform the legal system/processes to give legal protection to people on bikes from monkeys like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Not the first time that this Dacia Duster (131-WH-322) has given me a close pass. The other three vehicles showed proper consideration. The VW van (the fourth to pass me) waited until the other side was clear. Dacia man decided to overtake when a dumper truck was approaching.

I really wish they'd do something about the priority of bikes crossing minor roads/entrances like that. That lane could be great if the priority issue is fixed. I've had a couple of passes there and every driver see the bike lane thinks I should be in there so feel its their right to try intimidate me!

Close pass last night from another cyclist practically rubbed my handle bars I didn't say anything as I wasn't sure but will the next time stupid stuff squeezing by me in a bike lane, then this am a car behind me flashes for a bus to pull out from Intel so he started to go as I'm crossing the junction, opens his window and has a go at me I just told him to clean his windows and continued on no point in talking to him as he already decided I was in the wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Duckjob wrote: »
    I'm sure the fool had absolute no awareness of the sense of irony in what he was saying.

I don't thing these fools can be educated - their minds are just too closed. Only thing that can possibly change their behavior is punishment. ie. the state gets it act together and starts to reform the legal system/processes to give legal protection to people on bikes from monkeys like this.

Yeah very true , cycling years and the majority or near misses I would say for me anyway are in areas where there is an unsuitable bike lane available that I choose not to use.
    I suppose I can understand the frustration somewhat as a non cyclist just sees a bike lane and they probably have no idea why you aren't using it , the irony is supplying non suitable bike Lanes is probably making it more dangerous for cyclists.

This x1000 the presence of a bad lane makes it more dangerous, just like a painted line makes drivers think that can pass so long as they stay a few mm on their side!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always love those drivers who give out to you for not using the bike lane, when your not in it because construction traffic is blocking it, or a bus has blocked it or because someone has moved into make a call. They never wait around for you to explain that if they had been paying attention and aware of their surroundings that they would realise and accept why you were there. All they are highlighting is that they should have a fine for not driving with due care and attention.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

CramCycle wrote: »
    I always love those drivers who give out to you for not using the bike lane, when your not in it because construction traffic is blocking it, or a bus has blocked it or because someone has moved into make a call. They never wait around for you to explain that if they had been paying attention and aware of their surroundings that they would realise and accept why you were there. All they are highlighting is that they should have a fine for not driving with due care and attention.

Had a guy give out to me for not using the bike lane. Had to point out to him the truck parked in it. Asked him " where as I supposed to go?" No response from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Traffic Watch for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Had a close pass from a taxi this morning as I was turning off the N11 onto the cycle path outside Donnybrook church. I just don't understand the logic, I would have been off the road 2 seconds later anyway, why pass so close?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

micar wrote: »
    Had a guy give out to me for not using the bike lane. Had to point out to him the truck parked in it. Asked him " where as I supposed to go?" No response from him.

Obviously you're supposed to wait behind the truck until it moves...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

micar wrote: »

I have been told to cycle in the non existent cycle lane by private car driver in the bus lane. It tends to mean get out of my way and nothing more.

• Advertisement

I think today has had to be one of my worst ever for stupid passes and arsehole like behavior here's the worst few. Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09

Keep left anyone??? https://streamable.com/a4v9q

I don't normally use this road and this evening reminded my why how many pointless passes can you count in this 60 second clip https://streamable.com/il3ml

I could of taken more of the lane but I don't think it would of made huge difference!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I somehow managed to time my ride this morning so that I met several vans all pulling up and parking in the mandatory cycle lane through Ranelagh. I said to a couple of them as I was forced out into traffic that they can’t park there and they just laughed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

5uspect wrote: »
    I somehow managed to time my ride this morning so that I met several vans all pulling up and parking in the mandatory cycle lane through Ranelagh. I said to a couple of them as I was forced out into traffic that they can’t park there and they just laughed at me.

Sums up the problem with Ireland. For many, poor to nil enforcement = zero compliance with regulations and laws. No consideration of impact of actions on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tnegun wrote: »

I don't normally use this road and this evening reminded my why how many pointless passes can you count in this 60 second clip https://streamable.com/il3ml

I could of taken more of the lane but I don't think it would of made huge difference!

Don't you love how some put their indicator on but don't even bother moving out

Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09
    I've found those Intel car park busses to be a bit impatient alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Traffic Watch for that one.

I was thinking the taxi was little close considering the oncoming traffic, then the red Mazda appears :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

tuxy wrote: »
    I was thinking the taxi was little close considering the oncoming traffic, then the red Mazda appears :eek:

It wasn't just me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think today has had to be one of my worst ever for stupid passes and arsehole like behavior here's the worst few. Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09

I would contact Intel about that as well as Trafficwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd do Intel Ireland via twitter, they're a company who like to be righteous in many things and won't be happy to be associated with drivers like that, particularly if it risks their own employees

• Advertisement

Gardai/Traffic watch is pointless if you come away from an incident able to make a statement they deem it unimportant. I tweeted Intel so lets see do they respond.

Advertisement