Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tnegun wrote: »

Keep left anyone??? https://streamable.com/a4v9q
    Did yer man on foot shout at you? Couldn't quite make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's a personal choice of course, but the chances of something escalating to a serious incident are infinitesimally small. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to your neighbour as he lets his dog crap on your lawn each evening, then sure, say nothing. If you're the kind of person that wouldn't say anything to someone who barges into the ATM queue ahead of you, or barges into you at the Luas door as you're exiting, then sure, say nothing.

If you want things to change, you might want to think about saying something.

Problem is I dont think confronting motorists is really gonna change anything significantly. Its not like they're going to rush home and read up on the rules of the road to improve their driving. Instead its more likely some will come away raging at all cyclists and theres already a lot of rage on the road, especially during rush hours. I think its better to just report the incident and follow it up because thats the only real way that the behaviour of some drivers can truly change.

Agree that the chances of a serious incident developing are very small but perhaps not as small as some think. As said with the Dun Laoighire case we have had road rage leading to the death of someone, I just feel its only a matter of time until it happens again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Problem is I dont think confronting motorists is really gonna change anything significantly. Its not like they're going to rush home and read up on the rules of the road to improve their driving. Instead its more likely some will come away raging at all cyclists and theres already a lot of rage on the road, especially during rush hours. I think its better to just report the incident and follow it up because thats the only real way that the behaviour of some drivers can truly change.

Agree that the chances of a serious incident developing are very small but perhaps not as small as some think. As said with the Dun Laoighire case we have had road rage leading to the death of someone, I just feel its only a matter of time until it happens again.
    One reason why I confronted the driver was to get his face on camera. As it turns out when I reported my recent close pass to AGS I was asked if I could identify the driver ("as often the driver is not the registered owner")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Did yer man on foot shout at you? Couldn't quite make it out.

I don't think so the guy on the scooter didn't even acknowledge me, I think he may of been afraid of the dogs but still keep left when passing! Same happens regularly with other bikes/joggers on the canal am I mad in thinking keep left should apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's a whole 200m of off-road bike/pedestrian space with no lane markings near where I live and it's the same thing. Nearly every second cyclist I encounter tries to pass me on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it because walkers are on the right so they are going with traffic? Typically most Irish are taught to walk on the right, its a pedestrian area etc. Personally it doesn't bother me at all, slow down, go round people, simples but maybe they are all looking at you cycling on the left and thinking, why isn't he on the right like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

It's the same on the Royal Canal most mornings and evenings, both pedestrians and cyclists. Pedestrians dodging puddles..... Cyclists avoiding potholes. Mainly just carelessness from both parties unfortunately.

I don't mind anyone moving about to avoid a puddle of other obstacle it's the not moving back is problematic if everyone attempted to stay left things would work much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1230193447434362882?s=19

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen, not a near Miss as the car actually hit him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I met a walker on a rural road yesterday. I checked behind me and saw a jeep coming up behind me, 200m or so away, so I signalled and pulled over.
    I passed the walker (walking towards me), who waved a thank you. The jeep slowed behind me, and after I passed the walker, overtook and waved, so I waved back in appreciation.
    Nobody got held up, everyone was safe and everyone was courteous. Would this happen in Dublin?
    I highly doubt it as I’ve never witnessed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That poor bloke has had so many dangerous incidents, but that's awful.

I'm one week down awaiting to hear from a Garda re an incident I had and felt the need to actually follow through on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen, not a near Miss as the car actually hit him

Thats for the Garda. They won't get a more clear cut case of dangerous driving. Totally wreckless to cross a continuous white line with oncoming traffic (a PSV) and then dive in on a vulnerable road user to avoid a head on collision.

@Hurrache

Dont hold your breath. These types of incident are low priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Unbelievable driving. Thought I recognised that road. Nearly bought a house near there a few years ago and would have been commuting that way.
    Typical of the must-get-to-work-in-time-at-all-costs mentality.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Saw that on twitter earlier. That driver should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    @Hurrache

Dont hold your breath. These types of incident are low priority.

I'm giving it about 4 weeks before I chase it up, particularly given the Gardaí are allegedly prioritising such incidents this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If this not result in that driver getting convicted then we might as well give up and accept our police force does not value the lives of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Complete lack of respect for human life. Had a similar incident with a ford ranger, those massive US style suvs a few days ago. Just barged past me at the lights. We have to accept that there's people behind the wheel who don't give a flying fcuk about someone on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Holy sh1t! I see the bus driver stopped afterwards as well, I’d say he reckoned he’d just witnessed a fatality. That needs the book thrown at it

At least its not just me they're out to get, another careless Intel shuttle driver https://streamable.com/x94tm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

At least its not just me they're out to get, another careless Intel shuttle driver https://streamable.com/x94tm

That cyclist up front is clearly not wearing enough high viz.

• Advertisement

Where exactly is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Where exactly is that?
    Starts on the roundabout near Lidl, heading east: https://goo.gl/maps/H4A5oxGZi9cYQh9UA

Yeah that's the spot the second he can the bus indicates and pulls into the bike lane despite it being occupied. To make matters worse he pulled out again to make the left turn while we were passing on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Starts on the roundabout near Lidl, heading east: https://goo.gl/maps/H4A5oxGZi9cYQh9UA

This is bound to happen with road design like this. Forcing an off road cycle lane to merge with traffic at the point where the traffic is distracted by other decisions. Same with cyclists, one minute you are happily going along segregated then you have to deal with a change in traffic patterns (bus and traffic etc vs the relative safety of the off road lane).

It seems innocent enough road lay out, but its a mess and i would guess entirely untested.

Would be great to have a AMA with an Irish road planner..

kenmm wrote: »
    I sent an email to South Dublin Co Co regarding the new cycle path created along the Nangor & Adamstown roads which in general is ok (shared footpath but decent kerbing (traffic has since flicked stones onto it so that in places it resembles Brighton beach)). Anyhow, the western end of the cycle path, the flow is in two directions but access if you're wanting to travel westwards on this cycle path involves going against the flow of eastbound traffic as it approaches the roundabout or stopping and walking across the road...

488663.jpg

Their response was:
    Approximately 200m of westbound cycle track, west of Profile Park roundabout was constructed on the north verge of Nangor Road due to the non-availability of land on the opposite side of the road. An inexperienced cyclist heading west can circumnavigate the roundabout to access the cycle track the subject of your complaint by following a pre-existing cycle path shown in red on the map attached. (Note - this roundabout did not form part of the brief for the recently completed Adamstown and Nangor Road Improvement Scheme). This way the cyclist would not cycle against the flow of vehicular traffic, but rather cross it at a right angle.

503431.JPG

They had the opportunity to design it right when building their upgrade and chose the sloppy option that meant someone not in a car was a second class citizen :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

ye exactly - its at the stage of why bother? The space would have been better used on wider road.. but I would bet there is some combination of more funding to provide "Cycling infrastructure" mixed with not caring or not wanting to care by conducting research on what makes good infrastructure.

i.e. get XXX € in grants for an off road cycle lane means they fund a significant % of the road upgrade with minimal cost spent on the cycling infra.

kenmm wrote: »
    This is bound to happen with road design like this. Forcing an off road cycle lane to merge with traffic at the point where the traffic is distracted by other decisions. Same with cyclists, one minute you are happily going along segregated then you have to deal with a change in traffic patterns (bus and traffic etc vs the relative safety of the off road lane).

It seems innocent enough road lay out, but its a mess and i would guess entirely untested.

It's poor design but if the bus driver can't handle the distraction of a single straight lane with plenty of room to his right and a bike lane to the left he shouldn't be driving. This guy didn't even get the basics right mirror, signal, maneuver. We were visible to him for at least 20 secs when coming off the roundabout so he had plenty of opportunity to see us.

They had the opportunity to design it right when building their upgrade and chose the sloppy option that meant someone not in a car was a second class citizen :rolleyes:
    You want to see what they have done in Maynooth and Leixlip. Some of the newest stretches of bike lanes in the country. No markings, bus stops dropped in the middle of them when ample room exists to move the lane around them. Mixing of right of way at some junctions then loosing it at then next sudden merges with traffic with no real warning for either.

In the video I shared above traveling in the other direction the whole road has been redone but approaching the roundabout the cycle lane turns left as in your example and you then have to attempt to cross 5 lanes of traffic with no dropped kerbs to get to where you are going or cycle several hundred meters in the wrong direction to get to a crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

In the video I shared above traveling in the other direction the whole road has been redone but approaching the roundabout the cycle lane turns left as in your example and you then have to attempt to cross 5 lanes of traffic with no dropped kerbs to get to where you are going or cycle several hundred meters in the wrong direction to get to a crossing.

I actually raised this with Kildare Co Co earlier this week, after my first time trying to cross as a pedestrian since the road reconfiguration.

• Advertisement

Car is king as far as KCC is concerned

Advertisement