Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I hope the cyclists are ok.

Does the junction look the same today as it's represented in Google Streetview? There appears to be no Stop sign to notify traffic coming from Bow St onto King St, and no Stop notice painted on the ground. In fact, no line on the ground until the FAR side of of the cycle lane.

I drive that road every day (I'm also a cyclist) and there is a stop sign on the right hand side. Not that most people take any notice of it. You do have to nose out very slowly as it's hard to see the cars / cyclists coming from your right until you are partway into the cycle lane due to the slight bend in the road and the corner of that building blocking the view. And you're also trying to keep an eye out for all the strung out junkies wandering all over the road/footpath.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tnegun wrote: »
    You want to see what they have done in Maynooth and Leixlip. Some of the newest stretches of bike lanes in the country. No markings, bus stops dropped in the middle of them when ample room exists to move the lane around them. Mixing of right of way at some junctions then loosing it at then next sudden merges with traffic with no real warning for either.

In the video I shared above traveling in the other direction the whole road has been redone but approaching the roundabout the cycle lane turns left as in your example and you then have to attempt to cross 5 lanes of traffic with no dropped kerbs to get to where you are going or cycle several hundred meters in the wrong direction to get to a crossing.
    I've seen it (I live in Leixlip) and it's a mess alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Coming along here yesterday in the cycle lane and a Dublin Bus starts to overtake me and as he is parallel with me indicates to pull into the stop and starts turning in. I just stopped on the road. I think he saw me but just didn't care.

I suspect that drivers are in a rush to pull in here because they're changing shift. It has happened to me more than once along here.

Same sh1t happens with taxi drivers just before there too actually. They never fcuking look and just pull in across you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That spot's one of the worst, I do it every day. The cycle lane line is probably the most dangerous line to take through the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

I always take the lane there even if the cycle lane is clear. It's extremely bumpy with all the potholes.

• Advertisement

juicer wrote: »
    I always take the lane there even if the cycle lane is clear. It's extremely bumpy with all the potholes.

Yeah, it's shockingly bumpy there, around Liberty Hall is lethal too with the way the lanes split up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Stark wrote: »
    That spot's one of the worst, I do it every day. The cycle lane line is probably the most dangerous line to take through the road.

yep - and couple with pot holes, uneven surface and all the manhole covers.. very tricky to navigate at times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got buzzed by a taxi this morning. I had moved into the bus lane to facilitate the left turning car ahead. I had looked behind, loads of room, moved out and was about to pull back in. Taxi had only just caught up, and laid on the horn and skimmed me.

As it turns out, this is the same taxi that has now buzzed me three times on the same road. I think he is targeting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Coming along here yesterday in the cycle lane and a Dublin Bus starts to overtake me and as he is parallel with me indicates to pull into the stop and starts turning in. I just stopped on the road. I think he saw me but just didn't care.

I suspect that drivers are in a rush to pull in here because they're changing shift. It has happened to me more than once along here.

Same sh1t happens with taxi drivers just before there too actually. They never fcuking look and just pull in across you there.

They do the same on Parnell Sq too when changing drivers. Some literally dying to get off shift..
    Off topic but what is it with Google obscuring the brand text on side of a Dublin bus but leaving it on the front or not obscuring brand names in adverts or other vans parked on quays, including a Dublin Bus one.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Off topic but what is it with Google obscuring the brand text on side of a Dublin bus but leaving it on the front or not obscuring brand names in adverts or other vans parked on quays, including a Dublin Bus one.

I don't think they obscure brands (its Google!) - I think it was probably picked up as a number plate or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Agree with Stark below, probably the most dangerous section of cycle lane in Dublin if you stick to it. Cycle it every morning and it's centre of the driving lane each time. Between buses/taxis pulling out and cars veering left from both lanes across and onto towards Beresford Place you get it from all sides.

Only this week I had a chap in a security van blowing and when he caught up to me at the lights before Custom House starting blowing again and shouting out the window how I should be in the cycle lane. All this while the overtaking lane beside him was free. Of course there was a bus parked outside Custom House blocking the cycle lane there and entry to the segregated lane so it was centre lane again all the way to the next set of lights at Memorial Road.
    Stark wrote: »

Its another spot of town where I find that people are quite happy to blast you while quite obviously driving way above the speed limit..

Usually it picks up pace as people by that time have been stuck on the Quays for an age...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Agree with Stark below, probably the most dangerous section of cycle lane in Dublin if you stick to it. Cycle it every morning and it's centre of the driving lane each time. Between buses/taxis pulling out and cars veering left from both lanes across and onto towards Beresford Place you get it from all sides.

Only this week I had a chap in a security van blowing and when he caught up to me at the lights before Custom House starting blowing again and shouting out the window how I should be in the cycle lane. All this while the overtaking lane beside him was free. Of course there was a bus parked outside Custom House blocking the cycle lane there and entry to the segregated lane so it was centre lane again all the way to the next set of lights at Memorial Road.

I find the entrance to the orca’d lane the most frustrating part when blocked. Gotta keep up speed when you’ve cars up your ass, but then you’re too fast to enter the lane between orcas, which frustrates the motorists behind you even further. Try to avoid this whole stretch from O’Connell bridge when I can.

kenmm wrote: »
    Its another spot of town where I find that people are quite happy to blast you while quite obviously driving way above the speed limit..

Usually it picks up pace as people by that time have been stuck on the Quays for an age...

You hit the nail on the head. They think they're in fookin Mondello when they cross over OCB because they've been stuck in traffic for the last half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I thought this was stolen but no, it was pulled in on the site around the corner he had just popped out for lunch!! https://streamable.com/q3lvy he blows through a red light at the end too.

As we were discussing this bike lane earlier here's a sample of the newest stretch complete with a near miss between the car and truck. It's not bad when you're on it but the placement of the bus stops, poor access and the complete lack of a transition at the end ruin it!

https://streamable.com/6f8x4

Only for the first truck sounded his horn it would of been very different.

Had forgotten about this one on the subject of newly built crap bike lanes, bus stop in the middle of it then just dumped out on the road at the end leading to the inevitable! https://streamable.com/bplto

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

tnegun wrote: »
    Had forgotten about this one on the subject of newly built crap bike lanes, bus stop in the middle of it then just dumped out on the road at the end leading to the inevitable! https://streamable.com/bplto

That's the one coming out of Maynooth toward Leixlip? I never use it, I've no need to merge with traffic where I've no right of way, immediately before a junction.

For anyone else: https://goo.gl/maps/PJQUmeyuu8iDjWT78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yeah that's it I usually don't use it either, I use the first section and normally merge back at the traffic lights/entrance to the housing estate but there was too much traffic that morning so ended up staying in the lane till that pinch point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eden quay heading towards the point and crossing the quays before Heuston to get to Parkgate street are the most dangerous bits of my commute.
    I cycle in the right most lane on o Connell bridge, and even in the middle of that lane, between the buses, coaches and taxis parked/ pulled in just after the bridge you still get people left hooking you. It's a nightmare.
    And that road is in absolute shyte. It's on my way home and I hate it.
    I also don't go into the orca lane, cos there's usually a Dublin coach parked at it and the amount of beeping you get for not being in there despite going the same speed as traffic along it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Where in the city are you coming from to get to the south Quays? If you're any way close to the canal I find it better to go that way and through Kilmainham.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hurrache wrote: »
    Where in the city are you coming from to get to the south Quays? If you're any way close to the canal I find it better to go that way and through Kilmainham.

I hate the canal more than the quays :pac:, busy in the mornings and hilly into the Phoenix park.
    It's fine, I'm used to it, they're just hideous bits of road design for everyone I think, especially Aston quay.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

eeeee wrote: »
    I hate the canal more than the quays :pac:, busy in the mornings and hilly into the Phoenix park.
    It's fine, I'm used to it, they're just hideous bits of road design for everyone I think, especially Aston quay.

I'm curious now about everyone's route and which routes are safer?
    I cycle from Lucan to UCD and I now avoid the N4 and instead go via Strawberry Beds which has its own problems.

wnDgrUI.jpg

YouTube sent me a notification about this a short while ago. Anyone recognize this impatient pr***?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Can anyone grab the reg from that? This is a certified loony...

Not the first time I've seen a red mini mentioned on here and at the strawberry beds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Pretty sure is the same video from last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

YouTube sent me a notification about this a short while ago. Anyone recognize this impatient pr***?

I just knew a car was going to do that. Total lunacy. I guess they all caught up again later on. Driver should get a court enforced vacation from driving for a while.

Edit: Not a recent clip: July 16, 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

My wife just got home from a friends house and saw a cyclist down on the Firhouse Road. Gardaí and fire brigade in attendance, and cyclist still on ground being tended to. Fingers crossed it’s not very serious.

5uspect wrote: »
    Pretty sure is the same video from last time.
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Edit: Not a recent clip: July 16, 2019.
    The comment says published on Feb 20th 2020 which is why I posted it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The comment says published on Feb 20th 2020 which is why I posted it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=110702666&postcount=8659

Looks like they were re-uploaded.

Advertisement