Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The comment says published on Feb 20th 2020 which is why I posted it.

6 month on, it's still nuts driving. Hope it was reported.
    A similar thing happened me just after the garage in scalp on Enniskerry Rd heading towards Kilternan. A car overtook a few cars that were waiting for a straight road without continueous white line. A car coming head on had emergency stop to avoid collision on blind bend , the overtaking car then dived in nearly hitting me (who they could not have seen until then). I had good video and reported it but it was a fleet car and garda dis seem not interested in following up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

The comment says published on Feb 20th 2020 which is why I posted it.

I had it unlisted while I reckoned was there any point in going to the Gardaí. Considering how little happens much of the time when I have a registration and make a complaint, I decided there was no point calling it in without a reg. I came across it in the last few days and made it fully public, hence the 'publication'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm curious now about everyone's route and which routes are safer?
    I cycle from Lucan to UCD and I now avoid the N4 and instead go via Strawberry Beds which has its own problems.
    I used to cycle from blanchardstown to richview office park near the clonskeagh entrance to UCD. Went into the park, out at islandbridge and up along the canal, took a right onto mountpleasant avenue and into ranelagh, and out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'm curious now about everyone's route and which routes are safer?
    I cycle from Lucan to UCD and I now avoid the N4 and instead go via Strawberry Beds which has its own problems.

A serious commute, no wonder you're on an ebike.

I come from Clonsilla to Connolly Station, over the level crossing at Clonsilla Station onto the Porterstown Road, down White's Lane and through the Phoenix Park and then the length of the quays. Generally a nice cycle with a decent road surface apart from Park Gate Street and Eden Quay. The two worst areas in terms of safety are the 1st roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park with cars from Castleknock flying through unyielding and on Eden Quay with cars swerving left towards Beresford Place before the Custom House.

Depending on what section of Lucan you're leaving from Porterstown Road could be an option instead of Strawberry Beds. Nice new surface from the chicane bend to the Clonsilla turn off and you'd avoid Chapelizod Road where the cycle lane looks like crap and the road surface is nearly as bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they ever get the greenway built along the canal, it will be a boon for you, i suspect?

• Advertisement

well, if you ever want to see the narrowest sliver of a near miss, this is up there with the closest:

https://twitter.com/greenlaker/status/1230840656077045760

well, if you ever want to see the narrowest sliver of a near miss, this is up there with the closest:

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sure the cyclist wasn't even wearing hi-vis, how could he expect the van to see him?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

https://twitter.com/greenlaker/status/1230840656077045760
    That was quite a dismount, landed standing on both feet. I don't get off my bike that well, even when the front end isn't being squashed by two tons of metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

The ego won out over the id this morning, as I asked one close passing driver wtf was the wrong with him? "Did I hit you? Did I ****ing hit you?" That's the standard - no contact was made, therefore it's grand. *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

buffalo wrote: »
    The ego won out over the id this morning, as I asked one close passing driver wtf was the wrong with him? "Did I hit you? Did I ****ing hit you?" That's the standard - no contact was made, therefore it's grand. *sigh*

Its sh1t, but I've said it before. Drivers who don't cycle treat someone on a bike the same way they'd treat any other piece of street furniture or obstacle; close doesn't matter as long as they don't make contact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

buffalo wrote: »

"Ah relax " is what I got when i spoke to a female after she overtook me and started to turn left.

After speaking to her I started to move off, she proceeded to continue with her left turn right in front of me..........Jesus wept.

I was on the verge of a going after her to have another chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Yeah relax. Motorists are excellent judges of distance. See for example this driver’s parking skills I spotted this evening.

attachment.php?attachmentid=503701&d=1582569287

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

hesker wrote: »
    Yeah relax. Motorists are excellent judges of distance. See for example this driver’s parking skills I spotted this evening.

[img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=503701&d=1582569287

Parked up the the white line. What's the problem? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

hesker wrote: »

Or they left their handbrake off, which I’ve seen done before.

It looks more likely it would roll the other way if that was the case. I would still classify it as poor driving to park a vehicle without applying parking/handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Even if the car had rolled forward, it doesn't look like it was between the lines to begin with.

Definite contender for the Your own pictures of bad parking thread on the Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Phoenix park this morning, roundabout at Wellington Monument. I;m coming from Castleknock direction. Motorist blasted though from my left. Been nearly T-boned here a few times, but this one was the closest yet. The cyclists behind me agreed. I must look at upgrading my lights, because a 250 W strobe and constant light is obviously not enough. Either that or I was thinking of getting some red paint and spraying "Bikes" in 12 foot letters with a big arrow pointing right on the road leading to this roundabout, The phoenix park in general needs speed ramps all over it.

I'm sitting here in work shaking - coming down from the adrenaline - and also a sore throat from the roar I left at the car. No one deserves that on a commute through a park off all places.

Two things saved me this morning:
    1. I take it for granted that no one has a clue how to use a roundabout, especially when it comes to bikes, so had slowed down.
    2. My brakes had being jamming, full of road gunk and braking efficiency had reduced. Had put it on the long finger to sort it out. Took apart both front and rear brakes last night, de-greased and re-lubed and fitted them back. They probably saved me this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Roundabouts are lethal and some of them beggar belief in design.

Take this one on my commute where I and people I know have come close to death. It’s just after an underpass (restricted view), has an approach from the left that sweeps away to the left (restricting view) and then someone decided it would be great to have a raised central section and plant trees on it to further restrict the view.

I wrote to the council requesting an assessment and speed ramps. They fobbed me off to the NRA who fobbed me back to the council. Their main reason for doing nothing is that no-one has been killed. It’s been 2 years since I initially complained and no deaths so I guess they’re right.

To negotiate this mess safely I have to almost stop as I enter and then look left and right at the same time, but mostly left as that is where the speeding cars that don’t stop come from.

attachment.php?attachmentid=503766&d=1582630992

Heading towards the canal in Northumberland Avenue this morning and stopped at the Haddington road junction.

White van behind me, revving his engine and as the lights went green, he pushed past me inches from my shoulder and basically shut me out. I banged on the van with my knuckles and got the usual stop, wind down of the window “what’s your ****ing problem pal”

I meant to calmly explain that if I can knock on his van with my hand then he isn’t 1.5 metres away. Instead it came out as “you nearly drove in to me you ****ing ****”.

It wasn’t until I read back the company name and phone number on his van to him that he decided an altercation wasn’t a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some Dublin Bus drivers obviously still doing what they do...

https://twitter.com/OnlyOneMUFC/status/1232240968658759680

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

That is criminal, it could of ended very badly for the guy on the fold up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Downright dangerous driving

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On my way home this evening, I was in the cycle lane along the N4 slip lane outside the Spa Hotel when I was passed by a fire brigade transit van who seemed to be moving a little too close and too fast for my liking.
    I passed it as I went up the slip road to leave the N4 (to head towards Leixlip). At the roundabout 100m on the van overtook me as I was on the roundabout. I had already been dominating the lane but that made no difference. I could see him as he was passing and he didn’t seem to give me the slightest glance.
    I caught up with him again as he queued on the Liffey bridge going into the village. I knocked on his window to let him know (without anger!) of his poor driving and there he was posting on Facebook. The phone was cast to his left as he looked up at me.
    I asked if he was from the station nearby and he said that he was. I mentioned the passes and the phone and he calmly just said “I’m sorry” which kinda caught me by surprise. I’m tempted to pop in and have a word with his senior as I’d have thought someone from the emergency services should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This is definitely my first near miss with a pedestrian. In the act of avoiding her, she ran in the direction of where I was going.

Hate to think of what might have been, if i was in a car and not going as slow as I was

I asked if he was from the station nearby and he said that he was. I mentioned the passes and the phone and he calmly just said “I’m sorry” which kinda caught me by surprise. I’m tempted to pop in and have a word with his senior as I’d have thought someone from the emergency services should know better.

You should. It mght save the same station having to attend the aftermath of his driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mc Love wrote: »

This is definitely my first near miss with a pedestrian. In the act of avoiding her, she ran in the direction of where I was going.

Hate to think of what might have been, if i was in a car and not going as slow as I was

I travel Gardiner Street daily, it's usually chock ablock with traffic so every junction you have pedestrians stepping out against their lights, head down, thinking all traffic is stopped. The fact it's downhill towards the Liffey cyclists can get a grand bit of speed, it must by fluke that it's not skittles every day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On my way home this evening, I was in the cycle lane along the N4 slip lane outside the Spa Hotel when I was passed by a fire brigade transit van who seemed to be moving a little too close and too fast for my liking.
    I passed it as I went up the slip road to leave the N4 (to head towards Leixlip). At the roundabout 100m on the van overtook me as I was on the roundabout. I had already been dominating the lane but that made no difference. I could see him as he was passing and he didn’t seem to give me the slightest glance.
    I caught up with him again as he queued on the Liffey bridge going into the village. I knocked on his window to let him know (without anger!) of his poor driving and there he was posting on Facebook. The phone was cast to his left as he looked up at me.

Nothing like the fear of losing your job or the respect of your co workers to make you apologetic, one of the few jobs where he might actually pay a heavy price even if an accident doesn't occur. Depends on the type of person you are, you can report to the station that one of their team had done this and ask that the person in charge talk to them all and remind them, and I am sure they don't need it, to think about the last RTA with a mobile they attended. The other is too dob him in, same affect on the rest of the station, he might just be out of a job. In case you think I am suggesting one over the other, I am not, both are fine. Your call to make. It is a pity though that the same assurance could not be had by reporting people from other work places.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I took to the road this morning as the cycle lanes were still a bit glassy, and I didn't fancy hitting the tactile paving tiles going downhill immediately before the roundabout here. The roundabout has been changed recently (tnegun and buffalo were talking about it earlier in the thread). There's now an extra lane on the left, giving two left turn lanes and one right turn. This has introduced a dog-leg to the left in the cycle lane. The tactile paving was installed just before the dog-leg, as the cycle lane and footpath are shared in the re-done junction.

So that was what I was trying to avoid - a downhill approach to icy tactile paving, immediately before a sharp turn.

Most people were able to make use of the two lanes on approach to pass me safely, but there's always one. I got -at best- a foot of space as he went by.

I caught him again at the traffic lights, utterly pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Advertisement