Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

tnegun wrote: »
    I think today has had to be one of my worst ever for stupid passes and arsehole like behavior here's the worst few. Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09

The trolls on my YouTube account inform me that an Intel bus driver was let go recently, apparently due to behaviour towards cyclists. How reliable that information is, I don't know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I assume everyone saw the video last week on RightToBikeIt's twitter feed where an dangerous driver overtook him despite an oncoming bus. The car hit the cyclist as it was trying to avoid a head on collision with the bus.
    Here, he has merged it and his four other hit's into one video...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1232355636358320129

Just goes to show how a driving licence in Ireland is treated as a right and not a privilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I assume everyone saw the video last week on RightToBikeIt's twitter feed where an dangerous driver overtook him despite an oncoming bus. The car hit the cyclist as it was trying to avoid a head on collision with the bus.
    Here, he has merged it and his four other hit's into one video...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1232355636358320129

Just goes to show how a driving licence in Ireland is treated as a right and not a privilege!

Wow that is seriously scary. Gets the adrenaline pumping watching it. The sad thing is they are most often not prosecuted properly. Attempted murder or manslaughter, dangerous driving or whatever they could be and Statistically are not in any records just classed as another commute.
    How many people do not cycle that would because of this behaviour.
    Prosecutions need to be 100% with complete lifetime bans from driving along with massive fines passed onto the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

work wrote: »
    Wow that is seriously scary. Gets the adrenaline pumping watching it. The sad thing is they are most often not prosecuted properly. Attempted murder or manslaughter, dangerous driving or whatever they could be and Statistically are not in any records just classed as another commute.
    How many people do not cycle that would because of this behaviour.
    Prosecutions need to be 100% with complete lifetime bans from driving along with massive fines passed onto the victims.

Agree fully. Relentless prosecution of these incidents should be a top priority. I don't see this in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not a near miss as such but the driver of a builder's drop side pickup felt the need to slow down and lean on the horn while passing me on the R132 south of Balrothery this evening.

I was in the hard shoulder and not impeding him in any way. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Not a near miss as such but the driver of a builder's drop side pickup felt the need to slow down and lean on the horn while passing me on the R132 south of Balrothery this evening.

I was in the hard shoulder and not impeding him in any way. :confused:

I had a driver fined and points on licence for exactly the same. He had a bit of previous for it I was told, and fortunately he had to be traced through his transport manager. Whether he kept his job or not I neither know nor care

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dear lord, driving today and I was stopped waiting to turn right. Cyclist was coming against me and the car behind them decided to do a slow overtake right as they got to me. I thought the cyclist was going over, can't have had more than a foot of space. He stayed upright but looked shook. Driver didn't even flinch and just carried on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coming him from work last night late (around 8.30). Stopped at the castleknock gates waiting for a green light. Car comes against me, lights flashing and swerving towards me. Then swerves away and continues down the park. Probably about time we had psychological road side testing as some drivers seem to have real issues

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Hurrache wrote: »
    I travel Gardiner Street daily, it's usually chock ablock with traffic so every junction you have pedestrians stepping out against their lights, head down, thinking all traffic is stopped. The fact it's downhill towards the Liffey cyclists can get a grand bit of speed, it must by fluke that it's not skittles every day.

It is skittles there at least once a week. I've seen multiple aftermaths of cyclists and pedestrians being knocked down there. The junction beside Art Cafe under the bridge is lethal. There's people knocked down wholesale.

Cars turning into Frenchmans Lane are really dangerous for anyone using the cycle lane, particularly if their view is blocked by a Dublin Bus.

Taxi driver this morning on the north quays. A "lady" driver this time. She occupied the advance bike box at Capel street bridge then proceeded to beep her way down the bus / bike lane. I undertook her at the winding stair, then indicated right I was going across O'Connell bridge. Aggressive tailgating them tried to cut me off. I had to see what her issue was.

Apparently I should be staying left. "But I'm going right, across O'Connell bridge" I explained. This seemed to confuse her, as cyclists are apparently meant to stay left all the time. I also reminded her that all her behaviour had been recorded on my rear facing camera. Seemed to shut her up when the lights went green. Looks like taxi driving isn't for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Near miss last evening passing the entrance to a cul de sac, a food delivery guy cut in front of me at speed, no indication and driving on the wrong side of the road to do so. I had to stop. I got a right scare. These drivers can be very discourteous and their financially motivated impatience makes a lot of taxi drivers look good! These companies making money from the provision of food delivery services need to be more accountable for their contractors. They are responsible for 100's of vehicles speeding about, many hell bent on getting to the next delivery or pickup as quickly as possible. Red lights, stop or yield signs mean nothing. I wonder what AGS view of this collective group is?

Would I be correct thinking they are driving uninsured if they don't have class 2 or 3 insurance? I know this is the case in the UK and cars have been seized for no insurance (even though there was social, domestic and pleasure cover in place)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Cycling through Drumcondra yesterday and coming up to the lights by Quinn's. Car parked in the loading bay and bus stopped at the lights. Car pulls into the cycle lane THEN switches on the indicator as I was passing. I shout and stare at him and he continues slowly pushing me with his car towards the bus.
    He yells at me for not seeing his indicator!! Apparently right of way, looking where you are going and having no place to go mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

Would I be correct thinking they are driving uninsured if they don't have class 2 or 3 insurance? I know this is the case in the UK and cars have been seized for no insurance (even though there was social, domestic and pleasure cover in place)

I know one or two of the bigger take away companies cover the claims caused by their drivers whilst on deliveries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Deliveroo etc insist on drivers having insurance. UK is different tho - you can pick up extra cover for a cpl quid per shift.

The cyclists on those half electric bikes as well are a complete pain in the hoop - unless of course its my delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I understand Dominos pay for insurance for their drivers. I suspect that a lot of the other operators have a gap here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Close one this morning here

Driver at top of queue stops at green light so as to not enter the yellow box. I'm just about to pass on the inside of the car when the van behind overtakes the stopped car, pulls hard left maybe trying to make a point (what point?) into the yellow box and straight across my path - pretty much into the position of the land rover you see in the streetview image.

I roared at him and when I say to him "you nearly hit me" he just replies "So?"

You need to have work insurance here, I have it on my car, costs about €100 extra year. A co worker was rear ended while carrying back work items as it was handier than going in, getting a fleet vehicle and coming back. Garda done them for no insurance. He explained what he was doing and why he had what he had in his boot, Garda asked about his insurance, he had never heard of it or like me, never thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

RGS wrote: »
    I know one or two of the bigger take away companies cover the claims caused by their drivers whilst on deliveries.
    I understand Dominos pay for insurance for their drivers. I suspect that a lot of the other operators have a gap here.

Legally speaking, it doesn't matter if the company is willing to cover the cost of claims or not - the vehicle and driver must have an insurance policy in place that covers use of the vehicle for delivery services.

Dominos state that they provide Occasional Business Use insurance for their drivers. There's an argument that someone employed/contracted to act as a delivery driver is using the vehicle above and beyond what's intended by Occasional Business Use policies, so they still need to be very careful that they've disclosed all properly to their insurers when taking out the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Yesterday morning, a minibus goes to pull in here on top of me, I smacked the side window but he ploughed on through. I asked the driver wtf he was at, but he just muttered something about f'ing cyclists. Told him I'm going to report him and he said he couldn't give flying fcuk.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Told him I'm going to report him and he said he couldn't give flying fcuk.
    In my experience, many drivers will say that because they know that in general it will be your word against their and effectively nothing will happen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yesterday morning, a minibus goes to pull in here on top of me, I smacked the side window but he ploughed on through. I asked the driver wtf he was at, but he just muttered something about f'ing cyclists. Told him I'm going to report him and he said he couldn't give flying fcuk.

You might get somewhere reporting him to the employer, or even (if it is a shuttle bus funded by a local business, who's name is displayed prominently) to the company involved.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    Dominos state that they provide Occasional Business Use insurance for their drivers. There's an argument that someone employed/contracted to act as a delivery driver is using the vehicle above and beyond what's intended by Occasional Business Use policies, so they still need to be very careful that they've disclosed all properly to their insurers when taking out the policy.
    I've no idea how they do this. If I want cover for business travel on my car, I have to get this from my current insurer as an upgrade to my policy, and then claim the cost back from my employer.

It seems strange that Dominos are able to provide this as an add-on to an existing policy, but as a seperate insurer.

In the UK, they are providing 3rd party cover only.

https://corporate.dominos.co.uk/Are-you-Driven-to-Deliver

So if you normally have fully comp cover, and you crash while you're doing a delivery, will your own fully comp cover still apply?

Some interesting discussions here;
    https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2034485/advice-needed-on-dominos-delivery-car-insurance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This may of be interest to some: "Temporary cycle route proposed for Dublin quays costing €800,000"

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0227/1118008-dublin-cycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Did you get the name of the company? Had one pull the same on me.

aloooof wrote: »
    This may of be interest to some: "Temporary cycle route proposed for Dublin quays costing €800,000"

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0227/1118008-dublin-cycle/
    Decided to look at the article on the cesspit we know as Facebook and sure enough out of two comments there currently...
    504007.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Decided to look at the article on the cesspit we know as Facebook and sure enough out of two comments there currently...
    504007.JPG

I replied to her.....couldn't help it

Me too. I really hate FB and hate that I allow myself to get drawn into it.

Elizabeth probably spends hours stuck in a traffic jam she's helped create in her motorised three piece suite every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

My least favourite stretch of road, the New Nangor Road bus lane outbound.

First driver does a close pass. It was a tuck-my-elbow-in moment to avoid wing mirror. My heart rate soars in those moments. Followed by just anger for putting my safety at risk.

I pull out even more to ensure the driver following him doesn't try the same stupid manoeuvre. I get beeped at and I'm given hand signals to tell me to get out of his way. I do shout a bit here. I'm still angry at the first driver. The passenger has also joined in with hand signals to tell me to get out of the way.

The driver beeps again. I've had enough. I stop and park the bike and dismount with a view to politely asking him what exactly would he like me to do? He reverses a little, mounts and drives along the footpath.

I know I should have ignored the beeping etc. And not raised my voice or said a little curse.

I was having a lovely cycle home right up to this point. Nice clear dry evening. It's long gone past the point where I've had enough. I don't know what there is to be done anymore. I've seen the inside of Clondalkin garda station more times than I would like by reporting incidents. Last one was a driver who pulled out into my path and took me out of it just before Christmas. A driver who is currently nowhere to be found. Guards can do no more and I'm currently dealing with the insurance company to recover costs.

Here's a video of it. Yes, I probably shouldn't post it when I'm going to report both drivers to traffic watch tomorrow. It's just nothing ever happens. I lose time and memory sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Not a near miss but the disbelief has prompted me to post, heading downhill on the Finglas Road out of town tonight opposite glasnevin cemetery , anyone who knows it knows you can get a fair bit of speed up, anyway as I'm going towards the ballyboggan road junction I notice a garda car hidden away with a speed camera and 3 cars pulled, blocking the cycle lane and a garda talking to the drivers, thank god it was dry and my bike was serviced yesterday because I had to jam on, the lack of consideration for cyclists taken by the Gardaí was astonishing, I get they are catching people speeding but a bit of common sense surely with the location of the speed trap ??? When I voiced my concerns the female garda told me to to shush which did make me giggle in fairness!

• Advertisement

coward wrote: »
    The driver beeps again. I've had enough. I stop and park the bike and dismount with a view to politely asking him what exactly would he like me to do? He reverses a little, mounts and drives along the footpath.

I know I should have ignored the beeping etc. And not raised my voice or said a little curse.

Little toe rag is in the bus lane the whole way as well. scum bags. hope your OK, I would not have been as calm.

Advertisement