Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

CramCycle wrote: »
    Little toe rag is in the bus lane the whole way as well. scum bags. hope your OK, I would not have been as calm.

It takes me too much time to stop thinking about it. Ruins an evening. Wish I could empty my head of these things quicker!

Next time - and it will be soon enough - I hope to ignore the beeping and carry on. Anything to avoid the stress along that stretch of road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

coward wrote: »
    My least favourite stretch of road, the New Nangor Road bus lane outbound.
    The first driver passed you because you moved from around the centre of the lane towards the kerb and the driver took the opportunity to squeeze past. Don't give them that opportunity.
    The second driver could easily have driven straight through your parked bike and claimed that they felt you were going to attack them (or whatever bull they think they can get away with) and they panicked.
    Be careful out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

It takes me too much time to stop thinking about it. Ruins an evening. Wish I could empty my head of these things quicker!

Next time - and it will be soon enough - I hope to ignore the beeping and carry on. Anything to avoid the stress along that stretch of road.

Goes to show how brave these fools are beeping from the warmth and safety of a car.... Your man absolutely shat the bed when you got off your bike!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That second driver - what a plonker. Cant believe he drove up on the path!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cyclist is no saint in this, accidentally tailgating a bus due to the tail wind. Driver was in the bus lane and starts tailgating and beeping at the cyclist who let up coming to the junction for obvious reasons. Language is NSFW and I am sure the cyclist is not proud of the words used.

Same driver was seen by me watching a movie on his phone another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Same driver was seen by me watching a movie on his phone another day.
    A Dublin Bus driver? FFS - would be well worth getting that on camera.

First driver does a close pass. It was a tuck-my-elbow-in moment to avoid wing mirror. My heart rate soars in those moments. Followed by just anger for putting my safety at risk.

I pull out even more to ensure the driver following him doesn't try the same stupid manoeuvre. I get beeped at and I'm given hand signals to tell me to get out of his way. I do shout a bit here. I'm still angry at the first driver. The passenger has also joined in with hand signals to tell me to get out of the way.

The driver beeps again. I've had enough. I stop and park the bike and dismount with a view to politely asking him what exactly would he like me to do? He reverses a little, mounts and drives along the footpath.

I know I should have ignored the beeping etc. And not raised my voice or said a little curse.

I was having a lovely cycle home right up to this point. Nice clear dry evening. It's long gone past the point where I've had enough. I don't know what there is to be done anymore. I've seen the inside of Clondalkin garda station more times than I would like by reporting incidents. Last one was a driver who pulled out into my path and took me out of it just before Christmas. A driver who is currently nowhere to be found. Guards can do no more and I'm currently dealing with the insurance company to recover costs.

Here's a video of it. Yes, I probably shouldn't post it when I'm going to report both drivers to traffic watch tomorrow. It's just nothing ever happens. I lose time and memory sticks.

If there is even the slightest reluctance to progress your complaints, you should bring a copy of this with you;

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/road-safety-month-of-action-february-2020.html
    Garda Members are aware of the new offence of ‘Dangerous overtaking of a Pedal Cycle’ and where such incidents are reported they will be fully investigated.

A Dublin Bus driver? FFS - would be well worth getting that on camera.
    No the driver of the car. I remember the reg from another incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

First driver does a close pass. It was a tuck-my-elbow-in moment to avoid wing mirror. My heart rate soars in those moments. Followed by just anger for putting my safety at risk.

I pull out even more to ensure the driver following him doesn't try the same stupid manoeuvre. I get beeped at and I'm given hand signals to tell me to get out of his way. I do shout a bit here. I'm still angry at the first driver. The passenger has also joined in with hand signals to tell me to get out of the way.

The driver beeps again. I've had enough. I stop and park the bike and dismount with a view to politely asking him what exactly would he like me to do? He reverses a little, mounts and drives along the footpath.

I know I should have ignored the beeping etc. And not raised my voice or said a little curse.

I was having a lovely cycle home right up to this point. Nice clear dry evening. It's long gone past the point where I've had enough. I don't know what there is to be done anymore. I've seen the inside of Clondalkin garda station more times than I would like by reporting incidents. Last one was a driver who pulled out into my path and took me out of it just before Christmas. A driver who is currently nowhere to be found. Guards can do no more and I'm currently dealing with the insurance company to recover costs.

Here's a video of it. Yes, I probably shouldn't post it when I'm going to report both drivers to traffic watch tomorrow. It's just nothing ever happens. I lose time and memory sticks.

Wtf, you were in the BUS lane and still these jokers thought it was ok to forcibly remove you from it? And the second car, actually mounted the FOOTPATH from the BUS LANE in order to make his point??

That's a disturbed individual with no compunction about doing whatever is necessary to place himself first in any situation.

Definitely straight to Traffic Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Definately report both.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

The second driver could easily have driven straight through your parked bike and claimed that they felt you were going to attack them (or whatever bull they think they can get away with) and they panicked.
    Be careful out there!

A Guard made a very similar point to me recently (I was in the car and it was another driver though). He said that people could do something mad like above and stick with some mad ficticious version of what happened trying to lay blame on you. Without video evidence/a witness, nobody can prove anything and it's seen as my word against yours. Go to court and it's thrown out. Confrontations are rarely going to work out in your favour unfortunately...

Unless you come across the car parked up some evening with nobody around :cool:

• Advertisement

WOW the almost extinct lesser spotted Irish person who does wrong and doesn't deny, lie, or go on the offensive !!!!!

No excusing the pass but I know maybe 1 or 2 people max who would have done that in her situation. My Aunt and my Dad. I honestly can't say if I'd have done the same there.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Not a near miss for me but this morning I was driving inbound on Killarney Road in Bray. As I approached the junction at Boghall Road I noticed a guy out for a run crossing the road towardss the traffic lights from the church side - local running club jacket on. Nothing dangerous in that but next thing he proceeds to run on the cycle path, which is a lane painted on the road. With upcoming traffic behind him. TBH I couldn't believe his stupidity. This is a stretch of road I have had many incidents on the bike and have even had one person prosecuted for their behaviour towards me.

What really got me was the reaction of the other road users towards him. Traffic was heavy enough but to a car they gave him acres of room, nobody blew a horn and nobody acted the goat. And this guy was in the wrong all day long!

Yet, if you're on a bike....

I have dashcam footage but I don't think it would serve any purpose to put it up here. also, you'd all know I was listening to Joe Dolan

Presuming he is moving towards Bray, does that path not go up to be separated from the road? Either way, I'd prefer him to the d1cks who run towards you on narrow paths. At least you can slow behind him and overtake when safe, d1ck in Clonskeagh who runs contraflow. You have to stop and he still comes at you and almost tuts at you for stopping even though he never breaks his line.

As for why the cars do that, it is simple association, they can see themselves in a runner. A cyclist, for many, I can never understand why, they just think as sub human, it is very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Presuming he is moving towards Bray, does that path not go up to be separated from the road?

It does, but it was after that and before the lights. Where it has come back onto the road after the cottages

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

My incident from last year has finally wound its way through the courts system, so I feel I should share the conclusion.

Convicted of careless driving and €200 fine.

Incident video below - Strong language warning.

There is a level of stupidity there I cannot comprehend. Fair play to you for being so reasonable. I would have called him unpleasant things using unparliamentary language. He just couldn't get it. It was actually frightening to think he is allowed drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Steoller wrote: »
    My incident from last year has finally wound its way through the courts system, so I feel I should share the conclusion.

Can you explain the court process?

How did he plead?

Why did it take 12 months to get the conviction,?

Did he show any remorse?

Was he apologetic?

What was his reaction to seeing the footage of the pass?

Did he only realise after seeing the footage how little space he gave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Get up on the footpath, the width of the two bags, you were miles out, common sense says get out of my way. This guy has never been wrong in his life what an a$$hat. I'd be interested to hear details on how it was handled by the Gardai and got to court too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Careless driving- what a crock of sh*te.

Even apart from his ****ty pass on you which put you and other road users in danger, you then have -

- Stopping dead in the middle of a main road (because somebody upset hiim)

- Reversing back a main road at considerable speed

- turning into a side road completely over the wrong side of the road on a solid white line, and at inappropriate speed

In any sane society he’d be looking at a dangerous driving and maybe a suspension of his licence for that nonsense.

But then again, this is Ireland.

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    In any sane society he’d be looking at a dangerous driving and maybe a suspension of his licence for that nonsense.
    I think dangerous driving is much more difficult to prove and more likely to not get a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

"Don't give me the whole bike... car... ****ing... cyclist... ****ing... bike law." :pac:

I think that's the point I would've given up - how can you debate that logic?!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Fair play to you for being so calm when talking with him.
    It's kind of worrying how people with his attitude are out there driving.

Working class Passat driver.

Say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I think dangerous driving is much more difficult to prove and more likely to not get a conviction.

That's my point exactly. What you see on the clip is utter disdain for the rule of law and for the safety of other road users. Imagine that piece of footage being shown to a judge in a court in Norway. Do you think he would walk out of the court with his licence intact? I don't.

Here it would be ah but I was a moment of carelessness your honour, his dog just passed away the day before and he was upset your honour, he had a bad round of golf your honour (amazing that I didn't even have to make that one up). Basically every piece of BS under the sun, and the reason they'll offer every piece of BS under the sun is because it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Since you've put up an unintelligible caption at certain times in the video, maybe you could add an unintelligent caption every time he speaks.

Given his attitude in the video I bet the driver see's this as a massive miscarriage of justice and will have his piss boiling over it for some time :D

Given his attitude in the video I bet the driver see's this as a massive miscarriage of justice and will have his piss boiling over it for some time :D
    ...but i bet that he'll be more careful when overtaking another cyclist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

micar wrote: »
    Can you explain the court process?
    How did he plead?
    Why did it take 12 months to get the conviction,?
    Did he show any remorse?
    Was he apologetic?
    What was his reaction to seeing the footage of the pass?
    Did he only realise after seeing the footage how little space he gave?

+1, also interested as you've never know when one of us would have to go through similar proceedings.

The whole court system is a farce, 12+ months to get a prosecution with video evidence of the moron incriminating himself. That's a full year he was driving around potentially doing similar or worse before he was advised of the error of his ways.
    A €200 fine is also pathetic, that might be ok if he had pleaded guilty from the start and it never went to court but presume the taxpayer yet again foots the bill for court time and OP is told to jog on.

Does the prosecution make much if any difference to insurance renewal quotes or was their points charged to his license also.

• Advertisement

It's a motoring conviction so yes he would have to disclose it, and yes many insurers would take a dim view of this kind of offence, so here's hoping it becomes more difficult for him in several ways until the statute of limitations passes.

Interesting, I reckon it was the post-incident dialogue that secured the conviction, not necessarily the pass itself (we have seen much worse go unpunished).

Advertisement