Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

kenmm wrote: »
    I am not sure where exactly on the track that is
    It was on the straight section that's parallel to James Larkin Rd.: https://goo.gl/maps/b6UjfpfftqXboXWH9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

Not making excuses but the sun was nasty heading out towards Howth around 9 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

raheny red wrote: »
    Not making excuses but the sun was nasty heading out towards Howth around 9 this morning.
    It was ~midday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

raheny red wrote: »

The main issue seems to be that he shouted "wrong side" and pointed at the ped area, can't blame the sun for that! Dude was clearly either clueless or an arsehole who just had to shout something in response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

More fun with Intel shuttles the guy was on my back wheel the a stupid pointless pass https://streamable.com/5lmni

Punishment pass this am for daring to come out of a dangerous cycle lane
    https://streamable.com/ppnuv oddly almost the same location as the above just one the way in this am!

Think I shared these last year but uploaded again for the another thread here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112725454&postcount=22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Anyone know what’s happening in Baldoyle?

https://twitter.com/ni_allo/status/1235322004552773632?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Not one wide load, not two but three....

Not one wide load, not two but three....

I don't know that stretch myself by it looks like there is some attempt at a segregated path/bike lane left of the barrier that is in rough shape and just ends and you'd have to shoulder the bike over it to continue in the hard shoulder :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I don't know that stretch myself by it looks like there is some attempt at a segregated path/bike lane left of the barrier that is in rough shape and just ends and you'd have to shoulder the bike over it to continue in the hard shoulder :confused:

Well spotted, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. In fact, it's in such bad repair it was overgrowen with grass (yes, grass!) the last time I looked. In all my years on a bike I have never, ever seen anyone use it.

It's the N11 southbound just south of Glen o' Downs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It was on the straight section that's parallel to James Larkin Rd.: https://goo.gl/maps/b6UjfpfftqXboXWH9
    tragically, a pedestrian has been killed by a van on that stretch of cycle lane.
    A woman has died after she was struck by a van that had entered the cycle path in Raheny, Dublin.

The pedestrian, a female in her 30s, received fatal injuries in the incident that occurred on the James Larkin road shortly after 7pm this evening.
    https://www.independent.ie/incoming/woman-30s-dies-after-being-struck-by-a-van-in-dublin-39015833.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

The only vans I've ever seen one the cycle path along there are the council vans emptying the bins early in the morning. You get vans pulling in at the pumping station up at the junction with the kilbarrack road aswell but they're generally parking rather

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Jesus, thats my route and I feel safe because it's off the road from traffic. Your man must have been going some belt to "propel her body into the sea".

I've often seen CC vans emptying the bins, but it's always in the morning, and they are always crawling along less than walking speed in fairness.

Poor woman, poor family. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Do massive lorries need permission to drive through Dublin CC? A very wide load blasted through a red at Christ Church this morning. Got the reg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming through Shankill, a car overtook me, I was doing about 30kmph, staying about 10m shy of the car in front but not losing any ground. Cars tend to swing in or break so, while more than necessary, no point in being up there arse either. Anyway, driver overtakes me as a JCB is driving the other way. Have to hit the brakes to let him in. I asked him what he was f'in playing at, his response was that I pulled out in front of him on a roundabout. Had to look at the video when i got into work. He was only pulling upto the roundabout as I cleared it. In fact, I was off the roundabout before he entered it. He just couldn't admit the error. Now my language and reaction was inappropriate but I did ask him for his email so I could send on the video but he declined. Needless to say, I was through the next roundabout before him as well as he overtook me into the arse of slow moving traffic like a moron.

Last minute of this video :

and the rest of this one:

I left the full of the last one up to show the cars actually in front of him as I clear the roundabout. Also to give kudos to the large truck that gave a really decent overtake. Finally the end, to show other road users how to navigate a roundabout.

Feel free to criticise if i have done anything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Do massive lorries need permission to drive through Dublin CC? A very wide load blasted through a red at Christ Church this morning. Got the reg.

They need a permit and there is a website you can check but I can't remember the address

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Last minute of this video :

First link broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Zulu wrote: »
    Jesus, thats my route and I feel safe because it's off the road from traffic. Your man must have been going some belt to "propel her body into the sea".

I've often seen CC vans emptying the bins, but it's always in the morning, and they are always crawling along less than walking speed in fairness.

Poor woman, poor family. RIP.

I can't see that quote about being propelled into the sea on any of the news articles - do you have a source? (not disputing, just haven't seen it.)

First link broken?

I edited it to take out the first four minutes, must have changed the address. At 29seconds you see the driver come in from the left side of the screen. He had just rolled upto the junction. I have just cleared the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Steoller wrote: »
    I can't see that quote about being propelled into the sea on any of the news articles - do you have a source? (not disputing, just haven't seen it.)
    from the link i posted:
    It’s understood that when the woman was struck, she was propelled into the sea where her body was later recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Waiting at the grand canal junction of Mount St this morning and as the lights for traffic went orange a bike and car turned right heading for Grand Canal Street. Lights very red at this stage and a car at crazy speed came from Mount St through to Northumberland St with the driver laughing away to herself for going through a light that had been red a good 3 or 4 seconds. You could see her speed up as she saw the light turn amber and had no regard for the cyclist who made the right hand turn across the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

neris wrote: »
    They need a permit and there is a website you can check but I can't remember the address

https://www.thejournal.ie/hgv-vehicle-valid-permit-app-4725050-Jul2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Just report him to his employer. Its an act of kindness to do so as it will prevent him seriously injuring or killing someone.

A lot of aircoach drivers (and other private coach /shuttle drivers) need a good lesson in road safety and etiquette towards other road users.

I find a lot of Aircoach drivers are brutal, both as a cyclist and Aircoach passenger. Even when you are on the bus they seem to be extremely aggressive drivers in terms of harsh breaking and accelerating. I think most cyclists hold a similar opinion of them, they are cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Steoller wrote: »
    Journal ninja edit. Cant see it in the article now either. :confused:

Sorry in the indo: https://www.independent.ie/incoming/woman-30s-dies-after-being-struck-by-a-van-in-dublin-39015833.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Zulu wrote: »
    Journal ninja edit. Cant see it in the article now either. :confused:

Sorry in the indo: https://www.independent.ie/incoming/woman-30s-dies-after-being-struck-by-a-van-in-dublin-39015833.html

DFB certainly had a rig set up there last night, I wasn't sure if it was to support rescue personnel who were entering the water or for recovery purposes. I guess now I know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andreabmem

be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Does anyone use these pedestrain lights often? I find them another horror spot on my commute, drivers hate stopping. I always have to make sure they are stopped before proceeding. One woman yesterday broke the red light by 2 seconds, she looked at me, I looked at her and she closed her eyes and drove on through :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Does anyone use these pedestrain lights often? I find them another horror spot on my commute, drivers hate stopping. I always have to make sure they are stopped before proceeding. One woman yesterday broke the red light by 2 seconds, she looked at me, I looked at her and she closed her eyes and drove on through :confused:
    To be honest, that could be any set of lights these days.
    Pretty much no chance of a driver being caught breaking a red light or anything else so they keep doing it.

• Advertisement

McGrath5 wrote: »

There is a set outside my son school, anytime I walk him over we have to wait and hope that cars stop before the light goes green again for vehicles. I have had the eyes closed, the dead straight ahead stare, the hands up shure what could I do, the sorry hand wave. All of this in a) heavy traffic, so they don't get anywhere and your often stood looking at them for the next cycle of light and b) at a traffic light set that is placed there solely to serve two national schools because people wouldn't stop at zebra crossings, the majority of crossers are aged between 5 and 12yo, it is insane the lack of humanity. Tempted if i have a day to go full on narc and just video people doing it but being a grown up outside a NS filming people may not work out well in the long run

Advertisement