Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Does anyone use these pedestrain lights often? I find them another horror spot on my commute, drivers hate stopping. I always have to make sure they are stopped before proceeding. One woman yesterday broke the red light by 2 seconds, she looked at me, I looked at her and she closed her eyes and drove on through :confused:

Cyclist, pedestrian even motorist you need to wait a second or 3 when lights go your way. It doesnt matter where the lights are located or their surroundings but drivers will still blast through a few seconds after red.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

neris wrote: »
    They need a permit and there is a website you can check but I can't remember the address

They need a permit if it is 5 axles or more I believe.

You can check the reg for a permit thorugh the app "HGV Permit Checker" on android not sure about ios.

You can also report through the app

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the story with trucks that can raise one axle? Are they permitted in the city centre if they are only using four axles, even though they are capable of using five?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Effects wrote: »
    What's the story with trucks that can raise one axle? Are they permitted in the city centre if they are only using four axles, even though they are capable of using five?

I've been told that this doesn't matter. If they have five axles, they need a permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

WTF happened to that pedestrian on the Clontarf cycle path that she was propelled into the sea? It runs along by the sea but how hard would you have to hit someone to get them over the grass then the rocks then the water? Thats murder if a van was doing enough speed on that path to fling someone that distance and there isnt a peep about it apart from the Journal and Indo articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It something else. She was a jogger - not that that matters. Driver came down the kilbarrick road, turned right onto the footpath (which was something else considering the turn), and proceeded 1km along killing the poor woman (mum of 4).
    No arrest yet.
    "Medical condition" whatever the heck kinda condition that might be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A legal condition I imagine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I read earlier the driver had an epileptic fit.

beertons wrote: »
    I read earlier the driver had an epileptic fit.

If true I apologise. 1km on the track, colour me skeptical but having lived with a girl who had epilepsy, and seeing fits, while I am sure there are differences person to person, I don't see you making it 1km along ny roadway, no matter how wide or narrow. Poor woman, and her por kids, no one should have to hear news like this

Coming past the Topaz before the Loughlinstown turn off this evening. bike resting against an ambulance, hope all is OK. Garda on the scene as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Not a real miss, but a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was following a taxi who turned right ahead of me. I thought they took the bend a little wide so I slowed. Anyway, they proceed to do a u-turn so I stopped as they weren't going to make it in one go.

Cue the car who followed me, and was now blocking the junction, beeping at me. I turned to look at them, pointed at the taxi (now back on "my" side of the road) and just shook my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Idleater wrote: »
    Not a real miss, but a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was following a taxi who turned right ahead of me. I thought they took the bend a little wide so I slowed. Anyway, they proceed to do a u-turn so I stopped as they weren't going to make it in one go.

Cue the car who followed me, and was now blocking the junction, beeping at me. I turned to look at them, pointed at the taxi (now back on "my" side of the road) and just shook my head.

Could they have been beeping the taxi driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Idleater wrote: »

Cue the car who followed me, and was now blocking the junction.
    crisco10 wrote: »

There is a complete inability of some motorists to read the road ahead of them.

Them blocking the junction is somehow someone elses fault.......ok ultimately the taxi driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

micar wrote: »
    There is a complete inability of some motorists to read the road ahead of them.

Them blocking the junction is somehow someone elses fault.......ok ultimately the taxi driver

Yes prime example of this is the dangerous overtake to reach the red light that's right in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

crisco10 wrote: »

Nope, they pointed at me to pull up nearer the taxi so they could get out of the junction. Just as the driver was reversing to where they wanted me to go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Grand (but damp) spin to work this morning were it not for the Toyota Avensis (12-D-44188) that passed by me closely between the train and canal bridges at Adamstown.
    He ended up having to stop at the red lights at the canal and I caught up wth him. His response to why he passed me in such a close and dangerous manner was "why wasn't I using the cycle track?"
    I'm tired of interacting with people ignorant of the rules :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Grand (but damp) spin to work this morning were it not for the Toyota Avensis (12-D-44188) that passed by me closely between the train and canal bridges at Adamstown.
    He ended up having to stop at the red lights at the canal and I caught up wth him. His response to why he passed me in such a close and dangerous manner was "why wasn't I using the cycle track?"
    I'm tired of interacting with people ignorant of the rules :(

Imagine drivers speeding up to close pass any pedestrian that crossed without a designated pelican crossing. Because that's the equivalent of that mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Usual ****e this morning, take the lane to prevent close passes car over takes into oncoming traffic then some a$$hat rolls down his window and starts shouting at me to get off the road :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance but are you allowed cycle there? Looks like a dual carriage and I thought cyclist weren't allowed along with low power motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Zulu wrote: »
    "Medical condition" whatever the heck kinda condition that might be.
    I'm not referring to this specific case but I have heard of cases of people with diabetes who become confused and disoriented when their blood sugar drops, it could explain why the driver could manage not to crash for 1km, it implies a degree of mechanical control of the car but perhaps not the critical thinking to realise you're not on a proper road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but are you allowed cycle there? Looks like a dual carriage and I thought cyclist weren't allowed along with low power motorbikes.

It's the N7 - at Citywest. Which cyclists are allowed on. Motorways are where restrictions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You're thinking of a motorway. It's perfectly legal to cycle on a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Taxuser1 wrote: »

My spin home

Usually I'd say take the lane where you can but being honest, that looks like an awful road to cycle on, and I'd say taking the lane when people come at you at that speed isnt for the faint-hearted at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Stark wrote: »
    You're thinking of a motorway. It's perfectly legal to cycle on a dual carriageway.

It might be legal because they didn't classify it as a motorway but that doesn't look like a simple dual carriageway. I wouldn't cycle there myself as it looks way too dangerous. Each to their own

Speaking of dual carriageways, was riding the one through Drogheda earlier and another cyclist 20 meters in front of me. Van passes me gives loads of room, tries to give the same space to the fella up the road and pulls out with about 10-15 cm of daylight between his rear and the front of another van in the outer lane.

I'd say the driver of the van in the outer lane near pooped himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Usually I'd say take the lane where you can but being honest, that looks like an awful road to cycle on, and I'd say taking the lane when people come at you at that speed isnt for the faint-hearted at all :(

just for context, the clip starts with traffic merging from the left at saggart cross, traffic coming from town can head left to citywest hotel in a slip lane, traffic coming from the same hotel have a slip lane back on. there's barriers on the cross.

i wave a motorist on from the slip lane as she moves into traffic, that's fine and then i move over to the left of that lane which borders the yellow line - there's no immediate space inside the line so i'm hovering on it.

the yellow line arcs out as the slip lane ends,

the lane you refer to is not a motor lane - its inside a yellow line which the driver clearly uses all the way past me and beyond.

the clip doesn't show the same driver attempt to go up the yellow line before saggart cross before she realised there was me and a barrier so after much beeping at me and having to slow to go back into traffic, she clearly had intention to scare me by passing the cross in an outer lane before moving in to the inner merging traffic lane just to frighten me. she almost clips a car doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Trafficwatch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't know this spot, but cyclists are allowed cycle on dual carriageways.
    One example is north of Dundalk were the M1 seamlessly becomes the N1 and ceases being motorway.
    Cyclists are allowed cycle on that road.
    N7, Naas Road, is another example of a dual carriageway with motorway characteristics.

Advertisement