Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Dual carriageways are N(national) roads.
    Cyclists may use all L(local),R(regional) and N(national) roads unless these is a bylaw in place making it illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

tnegun wrote: »
    Usual ****e this morning, take the lane to prevent close passes car over takes into oncoming traffic then some a$$hat rolls down his window and starts shouting at me to get off the road :mad::mad:

Pity you didn't have a bidon of sour milk to give him a taste through the inviting open window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    just for context, the clip starts with traffic merging from the left at saggart cross, traffic coming from town can head left to citywest hotel in a slip lane, traffic coming from the same hotel have a slip lane back on. there's barriers on the cross.

i wave a motorist on from the slip lane as she moves into traffic, that's fine and then i move over to the left of that lane which borders the yellow line - there's no immediate space inside the line so i'm hovering on it.

the yellow line arcs out as the slip lane ends,

the lane you refer to is not a motor lane - its inside a yellow line which the driver clearly uses all the way past me and beyond.

the clip doesn't show the same driver attempt to go up the yellow line before saggart cross before she realised there was me and a barrier so after much beeping at me and having to slow to go back into traffic, she clearly had intention to scare me by passing the cross in an outer lane before moving in to the inner merging traffic lane just to frighten me. she almost clips a car doing so.

She even kicked up dust that's settled there from lack of regular traffic driving on the spot. She went out of her way to make a complete deliberate punishment pass, sounding the horn to emphasise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The fear of punishment is effective
    [url] [/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Still doing it on a continuous white line with an articulated lorry on the way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Thargor wrote: »
    Still doing it on a continuous white line with an articulated lorry on the way though.

Baby steps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coming back from the Sunday spin yesterday along the old n3. Cycling along the yellow broken line at the hard shoulder- it's non existent on the section I was on. Some w@nker in an Audi skims me within inches, doing well north of 100kph. Plenty of cars overtook appropriately, and there was loads of patience shown by drivers on some the climbs around the naul at bellewstown earlier, but there's still the odd wingnut that gets enjoyment from this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Car after Shankill last week, merged into bike lane on slight bend, front and rear below:

Front: 15 Seconds in

Back: 20 seconds in

Language is NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    Car after Shankill last week, merged into bike lane on slight bend, front and rear below:

Front: 15 Seconds in

Back: 20 seconds in

Language is NSFW

Ah here. That road widens up by the graveyard about 2 seconds after that pass. Absolute morons. Properly swerves into you as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ah here. That road widens up by the graveyard about 2 seconds after that pass. Absolute morons. Properly swerves into you as well.

At least I know the mic works well :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

My fault but WTF was he doing, I saw him and thought he stopped as he saw me but no started moving as I was looking over my shoulder to check for traffic before rejoining the road! https://streamable.com/qvz71

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<snip>
    Language is NSFW

Ah here. Clear road, plenty of space for a proper pass, and an actual swerve into you.
    That's full on assault

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Language is NSFW

Language is better than than some of the driving! Will you gonto AGS? Clearly dangerous and no mitigating reason for the close pass.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yesterday on the N4 heading home from work. 07-D-52004 Pulls in front of me, just because!
    The motorcyclist and driver (driving illegally in the 24hr bus lane) behind me both offered me a level of courtesy that the CRV driver was unfortunately unable to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Yesterday on the N4 heading home from work. 07-D-52004 Pulls in front of me, just because!
    The motorcyclist and driver (driving illegally in the 24hr bus lane) behind me both offered me a level of courtesy that the CRV driver was unfortunately unable to do.

I'm not familiar with cycling on that stretch of road, but just out of curiosity, how come you didn't use the segregated cycle lane?

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with cycling on that stretch of road, but just out of curiosity, how come you didn't use the segregated cycle lane?
    Narrow path shared with pedestrians and slow cyclists (and I can often exceed 50km/h) and with junctions where I cede priority, take your pick.

I used to cycle along there and there are a load of problems with the cycle lane, it's narrow, has an uneven surface, often has rubbish and other debris in it, walkers, walkers with dogs, a bus stop that in the evening peak can unload a lot of passengers into the lane and lastly the setup for the left hook as the lane rejoins the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've only cycled there a few times en route to Athlone and each time have regretted taking the cycle track...

I've removed most of the N4 from my commute for this very reason where the track shares the road drivers believe the paint is some sort of invisible shield and pass within inches, also if something happened in the driving lanes it could and has ended up in the cycle lane its just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

With a 24 hour bus lane, it'll be hard for them to come up with an excuse if you do report it to Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Narrow path shared with pedestrians and slow cyclists (and I can often exceed 50km/h) and with junctions where I cede priority, take your pick.

Fair reasons. Although I can also understand some drivers frustrations (even as a cyclist myself) when a cyclist is on the road when there is a dedicated cycle lane. Not necessarily this situation as it's a bus lane, but for instance on the road from the KCR to Templeogue Road some cyclists tend to cycle on the road instead of the segregated lane. As the road is so narrow, it's next to impossible to overtake safely and it ultimately slows up traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fair reasons. Although I can also understand some drivers frustrations (even as a cyclist myself) when a cyclist is on the road when there is a dedicated cycle lane. Not necessarily this situation as it's a bus lane, but for instance on the road from the KCR to Templeogue Road some cyclists tend to cycle on the road instead of the segregated lane. As the road is so narrow, it's next to impossible to overtake safely and it ultimately slows up traffic.

Cyclists are traffic.
    And it's not the cyclists that is delaying cars on the road, it's the link of 75% empty vehicles infront and behind each other that are causing the delay.
    If they weren't there a driver could easily pass a person on a bike safely.

I rarely use cycle lanes as they are almost routinely dangerous design wise (spitting you out onto the path of left turning cars, the front of people's drives etc.), end suddenly, unable to navigate junctions safely, incredibly poorly maintained, full of puncture causing debris, surface in bits, full of glass, often poorly mixed with pedestrians...the list goes on.
    I do several 100k per week, I use almost no cycle lanes bar those painted on the side of roads I'm already on for the reasons outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

There are certain sections of certain roads where I take the lane each and every time regardless of who I may or may not delay and every one of those is due to poor experiences with impatient drivers. I make absolutely no apologies for my actions and I very much doubt I'm the only person here with that mentality.
    Perhaps those that are doing the same at KCR are similarly minded.

If drivers were to try these bike lanes they would see how unsuitable they are for many cyclists. But of course they never will.
    I don't know about Dublin but the ones near me are unusable as the surface is never repaired.
    The only time I have been hit by a car I was in a cycle lane, never again until they are designed completely differently and maintained correctly.

The vast majority of drivers will see a perfectly good cycle lane. What they won't see is the surface covered with glass and stones. They won't notice the parts when all of a sudden the cyclist must stop to allow cars to turn or when the cycle lane suddenly ends steering the cyclist out into traffic.
    On part of my commute where I do use the stone covered cycle path, I'm suddenly forced to merge with left turning traffic including massive trucks (Adamstown & Nangor road junction).

(I predicted this and was behind the truck in this despite how it looks)
    This is a brand new build where it could have been done right but of course was designed by someone who no doubt hasn't been on a bike in over forty years.
    At the end of that particular cycle path, when I'm heading home, I must either exit a roundabout in the wrong direction (against traffic) or get off my bike and walk across the road. I asked SDCC about this and was told that I must dismount and walk - again this is brand new infrastructure which could easily have been built correctly.
    Cycle infrastructure is designed to get cyclists out of the way of more important road users rather than designed for cyclists to actually use!

In terms of my video on the N4 where the driver pulled in front of me, I had right of way. I was travelling in a perfectly legal manner. The driver knew I was there. But because I'm on a bicycle, seemingly because of years of conditioning by media etc, it's widely acceptable to drive this way, sure I'm only a MAMIL pleb :rolleyes:

There's no doubt the cycle lanes in Ireland are not fit for the purpose designed and very dangerous.
    The only people who question that statement have never used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Anyone in this age of ultra-congestion who insists on driving into city centres with an empty armchair beside them and/or an empty sofa behind them has no business getting frustrated with anyone except themselves and others that also insist on doing the same.

Heading home yesterday in the rain and on two separate roundabouts, a driver felt the urgent need to pass me closely in order to join the back of the queue.
    I was wearing my rain jacket and had two rear lights yet speaking to one of the drivers she was unaware that she overtook me :confused:

Anyhow, both are on video but given the dickhead this morning, I'll let them pass. Just watch the impatient driver of this Roadstone truck (12-CN-2488)...

His truck has a number of stickers warning people about blind spots and to take care :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Duckjob wrote: »
    Anyone in this age of ultra-congestion who insists on driving into city centres with an empty armchair beside them and/or an empty sofa behind them has no business getting frustrated with anyone except themselves and others that also insist on doing the same.

We drive in on a friday now, can't get a bus home in the evening, all packed.
    Friday traffic is non existent thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

His truck has a number of stickers warning people about blind spots and to take care :rolleyes:

Friendly tip - point your front camera down a bit more. It'll take in less of the sky, and the ground and traffic details will lighten and be more visible.

Unless you want to get shots of the beautiful sky. :)

Advertisement