Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

Duckjob wrote: »
    Anyone in this age of ultra-congestion who insists on driving into city centres with an empty armchair beside them and/or an empty sofa behind them has no business getting frustrated with anyone except themselves and others that also insist on doing the same.

Oh give over. If people, rightly, call for separation of traffic, don't be surprised when others complain that the separate facilities are not used.

I used the cycle lane in Templeogue for years and saw so many people just use the road

Heading home yesterday in the rain and on two separate roundabouts, a driver felt the urgent need to pass me closely in order to join the back of the queue.
    I was wearing my rain jacket and had two rear lights yet speaking to one of the drivers she was unaware that she overtook me :confused:

Anyhow, both are on video but given the dickhead this morning, I'll let them pass. Just watch the impatient driver of this Roadstone truck (12-CN-2488)...

His truck has a number of stickers warning people about blind spots and to take care :rolleyes:

Tell me that you are reporting that truck, please!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

buffalo wrote: »
    Friendly tip - point your front camera down a bit more. It'll take in less of the sky, and the ground and traffic details will lighten and be more visible.

Unless you want to get shots of the beautiful sky. :)
    The bracket needs replacing! The Fly12 brackets are brutal!

Yesterday on the N4 heading home from work. 07-D-52004 Pulls in front of me, just because!
    The motorcyclist and driver (driving illegally in the 24hr bus lane) behind me both offered me a level of courtesy that the CRV driver was unfortunately unable to do.

Are you not meant to yield here?
    You're the one merging with a lane

Honestly need to know this one

FFS
    I am in primary position in the bus lane. I don't have to yield to anyone. There is no yield sign.
    Even if I did have to yield (which I don't!), it is not an excuse to decide to pull in when there's someone already moving there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

FFS
    I am in primary position in the bus lane. I don't have to yield to anyone. There is no yield sign.
    Even if I did have to yield (which I don't!), it is not an excuse to decide to pull in when there's someone already moving there.

It's not a bus lane though. It's a turn off for cars turning left to Tesco, a housing estate and left celbridge. ?

It was a bad manoeuvre by the car.

The cycle lane there is grand, use it often but if u feel safer on the road there, fair enough.

Bus lane ends and merges into the road, usually vehicles give way to their right but not sure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Isn't the bus lane for buses/taxis/cyclists, not private vehicles?

Honestly need to know this one.

Fair enough, it turns into a left turn lane but you still wouldn't just blindly pull into it if there was another vehicle coming up behind. Buses/taxis aren't expected to yield unless there's an explicit yield sign there. (which there isn't).

Stark wrote: »
    Isn't the bus lane for buses/taxis/cyclists, not private vehicles?

Honestly need to know this one.

Fair enough, it turns into a left turn lane but you still wouldn't just blindly pull into it if there was another vehicle coming up behind. Buses/taxis aren't expected to yield unless there's an explicit yield sign there. (which there isn't).

Road markings break into separate white lines into the main road. Bus lane is merging ai give way to your right when merging to another road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Oh give over. If people, rightly, call for separation of traffic, don't be surprised when others complain that the separate facilities are not used.

I used the cycle lane in Templeogue for years and saw so many people just use the road

They can complain all they want. Until they recognise that they themselves are the root of congestion problems I'm not really interested in their complaints.

FWIW Given how feral and dangerous the roads have become with poor and reckless driving in the last couple of years I personally prefer to separate myself as much as possible from the nonsense when on my bike, so I'll generally take bike paths where it's safer and also reasonably practical to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

When changing lanes, you yield to any traffic that is already in the lane (which in this case would have been immediately in front of Seth). There was no vehicle in the exit lane, so he was perfectly entitled to continue straight on when he did.

The CRV was changing lanes from the left-hand lane of the N4 into the exit lane. When they made their maneuver, there was already a vehicle (the cyclist) in the exit lane and they are required to yield to the vehicle that is already in the lane.

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    When changing lanes, you yield to any traffic that is already in the lane (which in this case would have been immediately in front of Seth). There was no vehicle in the exit lane, so he was perfectly entitled to continue straight on when he did.

The CRV was changing lanes from the left-hand lane of the N4 into the exit lane. When they made their maneuver, there was already a vehicle (the cyclist) in the exit lane and they are required to yield to the vehicle that is already in the lane.

True, he was in there first so car was wrong.

Something to watch there, anyone in the bus lane will have to give way there if level with traffic on the right as bus lane is joining the other lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

True, he was in there first so car was wrong.

Something to watch there, anyone in the bus lane will have to give way there if level with traffic on the right as bus lane is joining the other lane.

The bus lane is not merging - the bus lane becomes a traffic lane, so now the same lane is open to private traffic. The rules for changing lanes apply - yield to traffic already in the lane.

The bus lane is not merging - the bus lane becomes a traffic lane, so now the same lane is open to private traffic. The rules for changing lanes apply - yield to traffic already in the lane.

True it's not merging but represents the end of the bus lane.
    Be an interesting one in court. Anyhow just be careful there.

True it's not merging but represents the end of the bus lane.
    Be an interesting one in court. Anyhow just be careful there.

Here's a bus lane merging: https://goo.gl/maps/LpccU3GTKNz7rx6n6

Spot the difference: https://goo.gl/maps/QHU5DkgvHkatNugN8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Lol followed your link to the bus lane merging and turned around, obviously we all have it wrong and this guy is demonstrating how to travel safely with your bike
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.356134,-6.4522136,3a,75y,178.09h,80.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSMuTh0MvLU7C4kXTqGMDwA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

tnegun wrote: »
    Not sure what to think about someone cycling on that road :eek:

Spot the difference: https://goo.gl/maps/QHU5DkgvHkatNugN8 :)

Doesn't matter if the yield is there or not though.
    The bus lane ends with a broken white line and you are changing lanes leaving that.

The car is in a lane which splits and does not end, entitled to carry on unimpeded, the cyclist (or bus) is joining that lane and needs to act as if changing lanes.

No driver, in their right mind, should ram through a bike/bus coming out but it is not as clear cut as being presented.

axer wrote: »
    Not sure what to think about someone cycling on that road :eek:

People do, and have died, on a 120kmh stretch of National Road in Cork

blackwhite wrote: »

This is it though, the CRV was not changing lanes. They were in a lane which splits, they did not cross over any lane markings.

Now all the above is my taking on the rules, honestly happy to get someone show me different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

This is it though, the CRV was not changing lanes. They were in a lane which splits, they did not cross over any lane markings.

Now all the above is my taking on the rules, honestly happy to get someone show me different.
    It was changing lanes. On that section it goes from:

Bus lane | Lane 1 | Lane 2 | Lane 3 to Lane 0 | Lane 1 | Lane 2 | Lane 3

The car went from Lane 1 to Lane 0. Seth Brundle went from (stayed in) Bus Lane to Lane 0. Note the arrow on the road: https://goo.gl/maps/cyazCM9HPYCJUkwr9

Doesn't matter if the yield is there or not though.
    The bus lane ends with a broken white line and you are changing lanes leaving that.

The car is in a lane which splits and does not end, entitled to carry on unimpeded, the cyclist (or bus) is joining that lane and needs to act as if changing lanes.

What are you talking about? Show me the SI that says you have to yield where there's no yield sign?

At what point do you admit you have no idea what you're talking about?

RRM 018 line is a yield sign in and of itself though AFAIK, which is why I am asking. So instead of being rude "At what point do you admit you have no idea what you're talking about? " how about answering a question posed in earnest.

As far as I can see that termination line, at the end of the Bus Lane, is a RRM 018 and, as I said I am open to correction on that.

RRM 018 line is a yield sign in and of itself though AFAIK, which is why I am asking. So instead of being rude "At what point do you admit you have no idea what you're talking about? " how about answering a question posed in earnest.

As far as I can see that termination line, at the end of the Bus Lane, is a RRM 018 and, as I said I am open to correction on that.
    Looking at the Traffic Signs Manual (C7) it says in terms of RRM 018:
    7.2.15 The Yield Line should normally be supplemented by the Yield Sign (RUS 026, see Chapter 5) at priority-controlled junctions. On national roads the Yield Sign must always accompany the Yield Line. The Yield Sign is not required to accompany the Cycle Yield Line, RRM 018C.
    As the Yield sign is not present (see my emphasis above), then we can assume that this is not a valid RRM 018 line.
    I will also ask the garda when I give them the DVD of this morning's cement truck incident.

Anyhow, I think we've gone off topic anyhow.

As the Yield sign is not present (see my emphasis above), then we can assume that this is not a valid RRM 018 line.
    I will also ask the garda when I give them the DVD of this morning's cement truck incident.

Cheers lad, an actual answer.

I actually think it was an on topic question, because it moves the responsibility.
    Thanks for the answer

RRM018? Really? That's a transverse line marking that goes across a road, not a lane divider. What you're looking at is M129.

The reason I'm being rude is because several posters have told you that you are wrong, and yet you continue to persevere that you are right, despite no evidence to support yourself or contradict the points of view put to you.

RRM018? Really? That's a transverse line marking that goes across a road, not a lane divider. What you're looking at is M129.

The reason I'm being rude is because several posters have told you that you are wrong, and yet you continue to persevere that you are right, despite no evidence to support yourself or contradict the points of view put to you.

People saying "You're wrong" is no answer. Seth quoted a passage stating that on N roads the triangle must be present and you quote, now, the road marking is not a yield line.

They are answers

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

In the same document it describes that a Yield is a form of Transverse marking which is at 90 degrees (or thereabouts) to the centre line (section 7.1.11). Although there can be room for speculation as to the exact intent, this should make it clearer that the Yield Line is meant to deal with on the meeting of one road and another, such as a T-Junction.

The same document covers Bus Lanes starting in section 7.7.6. The "Broken Bus Lane Line", AKA M129 is described in section 7.7.8 as a means to deflect other traffic from the bus lane.

7.7.14 and 7.7.15 explain that the end of the bus lane is indicated by the Broken Bus Lane line to "inform motorists that it is permissible to enter the bus lane prior to making the left turn".

There are two key points here;
    > we are dealing with a Broken Bus Lane Line and not a Yield Line and therefore no requirement to yield;
    > and that it is allowing other road users to enter the lane to use it.

As other users are entering the lane to use it, they are changing lane and must give way to traffic already in that lane.

:pac:

Heading home yesterday in the rain and on two separate roundabouts, a driver felt the urgent need to pass me closely in order to join the back of the queue.
    I was wearing my rain jacket and had two rear lights yet speaking to one of the drivers she was unaware that she overtook me :confused:

Anyhow, both are on video but given the dickhead this morning, I'll let them pass. Just watch the impatient driver of this Roadstone truck (12-CN-2488)...

His truck has a number of stickers warning people about blind spots and to take care :rolleyes:

That truck has been drawing into Intel recently, did he actually turn left at the top or continue straight on the slip to skip traffic?

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    That truck has been drawing into Intel recently, did he actually turn left at the top or continue straight on the slip to skip traffic?
    He turned right at the top (towards Adamstown & Newcastle).
    When I reached him, I asked him what was that about and he kept saying "sorry but..." - I wasn't going to let him have a "but..." as if there were mitigating circumstances.

Advertisement