Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

VonLuck wrote: »
    That's very condescending and unnecessary.

You can have two sides to a discussion and no "right" answer.

I think it's quite necessary to check after x pages of replies and people patiently explaining why the 'segregated' track is deficient in so many ways, have you taken any of it in, or just stuck your fingers in your ears and gone 'lalalalala I'm right, you're wrong lalalala'.

It's good to know it's the latter anyway. But if I'd phrased the original question like that, it would probably be condescending and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Weepsie wrote: »
    Can you tell me where in the road traffic act a vehicle has priority if in the same lane as a bicycle, unless I'm missing something, you're making something up entirely,

Can you tell me where in any of my previous posts where I've stated that a vehicle has priority if in the same lane as a bicycle, unless I'm missing something, you're making something up entirely.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Also the expectations that motorists should ever not be on the lookout for bicycles, or any vulnerable road user/pedestrian is possibly one of the most absurd things I've seen posted in a forum (Jim Corr rambling excepted)
    They should never stop being on the lookout

Christ. Can you please read my previous posts before replying. I never said that they shouldn't be on the lookout. I said that you shouldn't assume that they're on the lookout! Completely different, but you're just choosing to misinterpret my posts to make your own argument.
    buffalo wrote: »
    I think it's quite necessary to check after x pages of replies and people patiently explaining why the 'segregated' track is deficient in so many ways, have you taken any of it in, or just stuck your fingers in your ears and gone 'lalalalala I'm right, you're wrong lalalala'.

It's good to know it's the latter anyway. But if I'd phrased the original question like that, it would probably be condescending and unnecessary.

You're kidding me, right? I've given my opinion in a reasoned manner, but all I'm being met with is passive aggressive and immature responses, bar a few.

I've read the explanations people have given, and understand why they personally might feel they are less safe in this particular segregated bicycle lane. My point is, in my opinion, I feel safer in a segregated lane with junctions which I have to cross (and I have more control over) than sharing a road with a motorist who is fiddling about on their phone, which I have no control over.

Despite me explaining this, all I'm getting from people here is "your opinion is wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

You're kidding me, right? I've given my opinion in a reasoned manner, but all I'm being met with is passive aggressive and immature responses, bar a few.

I've read the explanations people have given, and understand why they personally might feel they are less safe in this particular segregated bicycle lane.

Alright, so you understand now? That's great! No more complaining about cyclists not in cycle lanes and saying that it's frustrating! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

buffalo wrote: »
    Alright, so you understand now? That's great! No more complaining about cyclists not in cycle lanes and saying that it's frustrating! :)

Sounds like you've had a few knocks on the head over the years!

I never complained about cyclists not in cycle lanes. Do you understand now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Right so no one is complaining, we all good? :D

Can we go back to near misses? Someone just sneezed near me, but I think I missed it.

EDIT:
    kenmm wrote: »
    Can we go back to near misses?

I guess not! >>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like you've had a few knocks on the head over the years!

I never complained about cyclists not in cycle lanes. Do you understand now?

Dig up, stupid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Right, the discussion on that one piece of cycle lane has gone far enough. Both views have been given, make up your own minds from now on. Cards for anyone who opens that conversation up again, any queries via PM to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had what felt like a close pass from a Garda van outside Maynooth today but this plonker outside Straffan is obviously more important than me...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Had what felt like a close pass from a Garda van outside Maynooth today but this plonker outside Straffan is obviously more important than me...
    Punishment pass presumably, to get back at you for you having the temerity to filter past him.

• Advertisement

Punishment pass presumably, to get back at you for you having the temerity to filter past him.

Na, just an idiot threading the needle between Seth and the road furniture I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, I think it was a punishment pass.
    As he passed me, I (with my foul mouth) instinctively called out "ya prick". Immediately, they hit the brakes and I was prepared to call them out on the manoeuvre.
    As I got closer to them (I was travelling that direction anyhow), they moved on and then pulled into the hard shoulder.
    As I got closer again, they moved on presumably thinking that it may not end well.
    It definitely felt like it was a challenge.
    The bracket for my front facing camera broke on Friday so I've no footage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Big drop off in posts in this thread over the last week - nobody cycling anymore or volume of cars much lower, or all the crazy loons aren't out in their cars?

Any which way, it's a blessing...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Big drop off in posts in this thread over the last week - nobody cycling anymore or volume of cars much lower, or all the crazy loons aren't out in their cars?

Witnessed a few near misses today, all happening to the same pair of cyclists in Ashbourne.

A man and a boy (~6) were salmoning slowly in the bike lane and a driver pulled out of the Aldi carpark without looking to his left. Both cyclists came to an abrupt stop and the man gave the driver daggers. (I've seen a few near misses at this spot before, usually just after the secondary school lets out, not with an adult cyclist though)

The two continued on contraflow but visibly more cautious, waiting before being called on by a car turning right into this carpark.

Further up the road, they went through a box junction while vehicles were coming from the left, stopping briefly at the SuperValu entrance before the toucan lights went green and they mounted the path to continue on.

I cringed in anticipation each time and I felt like being the shout-out-the-car-window-at-the-cyclist type, but I know how ineffective that is from the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

MojoMaker wrote: »

Working from home as a result of covid so have swapped my 42k round trip commute with about 30k on roads 12k greenway for a 40k round trip morning cycle with about 36k greenway and 4k on roads. It's a little tedious on the canal but I can listen to my podcasts and not a car or person in sight for most of it! Had one close call with a German Shepard so far but its bliss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I had a scary close pass yesterday evening in North Strand from a guy in a GoCar driving at a dangerous speed in the bus lane despite there being relatively little traffic on the road. Pulled alongside him at a set of lights moments later and gestured that he nearly hit, to which he rolled down the window and started screaming at me then pulled his car in front of my bike and told me to get off and he'd get out of the car and we'd sort it out right there.

This guy was deranged, scarily aggressive and I genuinely thought he was going to assault me. Eventually he drove off again at a stupid speed in the bus lane through to Fairview.

So I called Traffic Watch straight away and gave them the license plate, physical description of the guy and a summary of the incident. Lovely lady on the phone who said I was damn right to call even if the Gardai are busy enough at the moment with COVID19.

I'll chat to the Garda when they call but not sure what can be done as I don't have a camera so no footage of the incident and the guy seemed so deranged that going to court if it came to that could be dangerous. And a call from the Garda to him is unlikely to bother him at all, in fact I'd say he'd take the aggression out on the next cyclist he sees.

Some very dangerous people and drivers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

More than likely he'll crap himself if the Gardai got in touch. If he was a proper nutter he'd have got out of his car instead of being all talk about it. I wouldn't worry about any repurcussions if you followed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I had a scary close pass yesterday evening in North Strand from a guy in a GoCar driving at a dangerous speed in the bus lane despite there being relatively little traffic on the road. Pulled alongside him at a set of lights moments later and gestured that he nearly hit, to which he rolled down the window and started screaming at me then pulled his car in front of my bike and told me to get off and he'd get out of the car and we'd sort it out right there.

This guy was deranged, scarily aggressive and I genuinely thought he was going to assault me. Eventually he drove off again at a stupid speed in the bus lane through to Fairview.

So I called Traffic Watch straight away and gave them the license plate, physical description of the guy and a summary of the incident. Lovely lady on the phone who said I was damn right to call even if the Gardai are busy enough at the moment with COVID19.

I'll chat to the Garda when they call but not sure what can be done as I don't have a camera so no footage of the incident and the guy seemed so deranged that going to court if it came to that could be dangerous. And a call from the Garda to him is unlikely to bother him at all, in fact I'd say he'd take the aggression out on the next cyclist he sees.

Some very dangerous people and drivers out there.

Spotted that lunatic yesterday evening he was really bombing up the bus lane on malahide road near Nazareth house. Thankfully he did not come near the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

You should tweet at gocar , they tend to respond- give them the time and location of the incident , thy might block him from using the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Chiparus wrote: »
    You should tweet at gocar , they tend to respond- give them the time and location of the incident , thy might block him from using the car.

Not on Twitter but might email them and will also ask the Garda when they call if they can do anything with GoCar about the guy's account.

• Advertisement

Not on Twitter but might email them and will also ask the Garda when they call if they can do anything with GoCar about the guy's account.
    Point them towards this thread - the fact that two different people noticed and remembered this guy's driving says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't understand why GoCar users drive like twats. Apart from the few slow drivers who are clearly lost tourists or unfamiliar with the area the majority of them drive like complete knobs.

It's a rental, time stamped picture or video of the reg should be very easy to narrow down...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    My own one today (NSFW) - understandable as I touched the side of the van, they were that close.

Only a caution because the driver was never before the Gardai before and was of a good character.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Only a caution because the driver was never before the Gardai before and was of a good character.
    Probably came from a good family too. Sure what would you expect?

I'd say either their local cllr or td had a word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how would they have become involved?

how would they have become involved?

If they were asked. I know some cllrs won't get involved but there a few gombeens that will

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the garda would probably have made their mind up about it only being a caution before the perp (or their councillor) would have even learned of it.
    unless the garda decided to issue a penalty, and then dialled back after a call from a councillor - but i know which i suspect is more probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Have been working from home as much as possible but had to go into work today and am covered under essential services anyways..
    No car today, so cycled in, all 40k or so…

Was expecting a few beeps from people assuming I was on a leisure spin but no, all very pleasant the whole way in including thru a checkpoint…

Get to a near empty quays with just a few cars and other people on bikes around…Cycling along minding my own business in bus/cycle lane when a Pr**k of a taxi driver decides to do a punish pass and waggle his finger in the mirror…
    Wasn’t aware that they had been co-opted as part of an emergency response unit..prat!

• Advertisement

Have been working from home as much as possible but had to go into work today and am covered under essential services anyways..
    No car today, so cycled in, all 40k or so…

Was expecting a few beeps from people assuming I was on a leisure spin but no, all very pleasant the whole way in including thru a checkpoint…

Get to a near empty quays with just a few cars and other people on bikes around…Cycling along minding my own business in bus/cycle lane when a Pr**k of a taxi driver decides to do a punish pass and waggle his finger in the mirror…
    Wasn’t aware that they had been co-opted as part of an emergency response unit..prat!

Just curious - were you questioned at the checkpoint?

Advertisement