Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Just curious - were you questioned at the checkpoint?

I've been cycling the past few weeks also, there was a check point at the ParkGate Street entrance to Phoenix Park this morning but they were only stopping cars entering the park. Another check point on the quays about 600m later stopping inbound traffic where I was stopped and questioned. Good to see as a surprising amount of traffic still on the roads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Joanna Donnelly's tweet blow just shows how some people driving can be complete ar8eholes!

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/1245286895271186433

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Just curious - were you questioned at the checkpoint?

No, they seen me and didn't stop me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cycling along minding my own business in bus/cycle lane when a Pr**k of a taxi driver decides to do a punish pass and waggle his finger in the mirror…
    Wasn’t aware that they had been co-opted as part of an emergency response unit..prat!

We're told to stay at home and not cycle because any potential injuries could lead to the emergency services been taken away from dealing with the crisis, as well as medical resources...

....as in this example we have your typical Taxi driver who thinks they own the road, deciding to almost cause a serious accident!

So they and other drivers who think it's a free for all now to speed are the main dangers and reasons why cycling is pretty much banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    We're told to stay at home and not cycle because any potential injuries could lead to the emergency services been taken away from dealing with the crisis, as well as medical resources...
    I agree with your main poaint, but we're not actually told not to cycle and stay home. Brief daily exercise within the 2km is permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

tnegun wrote: »
    Same nothing from my close pass and aggressive behavior by the airport hopper driver last week either. Had a bit of a falling down day today in work so was in no humor on the way home. Another Lucan nut this guy aggressively tailgates me, beeps and then completes a punishment pass.

https://streamable.com/25aif

I caught up with him a few minutes later and tried to reason but lost my cool and caught up a second time and stuck the camera in his face not too proud of that but shows his reasoning

https://streamable.com/n3ir1

Had a call back today and given the current crisis I just let it slide, so the driver is apologetic but there was a perfectly good bike lane and I got in his way!!!!!!! I got so angry when I heard that I just wanted the guard off the phone. I knew this incident was completely insignificant I just couldn't believe what she was saying. No desire to see the footage aparantly I caused the driver to brake hard by not being in the bike lane so he got a fright and reacted badly this was his excuse. He couldn't believe the guards were following up with him, didn't live in the jurisdiction so a lot of garda time was spent following it up I think she was expecting an apology from me. I just said there's other things to be worried about right now and left it at that :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

After a lovely commute in and out, I was coming to a pinch point where a Land Rover closed in on me. I didn't react but then a few seconds later the same guy swung into the bike lane and slammed on the brakes as it tried to undertake a car turning right but there wasn't enough space. I slowed and then I thought why, so I rammed my bike into the back of his car with as much effort as I could from a standing start. Enough to actually jam my wheel under his rear bumper and crush the cover for the tow bar/socket area. He looked at me in complete confusion. I know in his mind I just wasn't paying attention, he didn't hang round for a chat though but it was sheer lunacy on my part, I just had enough. All that's going on and the same pr1ck twice in 50m puts me in danger without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Had a call back today and given the current crisis I just let it slide, so the driver is apologetic but there was a perfectly good bike lane and I got in his way!!!!!!! I got so angry when I heard that I just wanted the guard off the phone. I knew this incident was completely insignificant I just couldn't believe what she was saying. No desire to see the footage aparantly I caused the driver to brake hard by not being in the bike lane so he got a fright and reacted badly this was his excuse. He couldn't believe the guards were following up with him, didn't live in the jurisdiction so a lot of garda time was spent following it up I think she was expecting an apology from me. I just said there's other things to be worried about right now and left it at that :o

Awful - I remember getting a close passer in a Beamer to go straight to Dundrum station some years back, and the Garda almost apologising to him while explaining that cyclists don't have to ride in the gutter. what station/area, can I ask?

CramCycle wrote: »
    After a lovely commute in and out, I was coming to a pinch point where a Land Rover closed in on me. I didn't react but then a few seconds later the same guy swung into the bike lane and slammed on the brakes as it tried to undertake a car turning right but there wasn't enough space. I slowed and then I thought why, so I rammed my bike into the back of his car with as much effort as I could from a standing start. Enough to actually jam my wheel under his rear bumper and crush the cover for the tow bar/socket area. He looked at me in complete confusion. I know in his mind I just wasn't paying attention, he didn't hang round for a chat though but it was sheer lunacy on my part, I just had enough. All that's going on and the same pr1ck twice in 50m puts me in danger without realising it.

How's your front wheel?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah, in my opinion a 2km radius from home is effectively a ban on cycling, i particular in urban areas.

Having said that, I see enough people doing 5km laps just because the area is 2km from home.

It's certainly a fairly pointless restriction. Any risk from cycling that applies outside the 2km radius applies inside the 2km radius. I looks like the 2km radius was set to stop people driving to the beach or the forest. All they had to do really was to close the car parks and police it properly for a change.

It was Lucan station, the guard wouldn't even agree with me that there was no obligation for me to be on the not fit for purpose cycle path complete non committal ass covering ****e so I ended the call ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Jesus if this isn't prosecutable what is. Not only a close pass and a fugk you beep also, he then completely admits it and not having a clue on the rules of the road. This should be a 3 month ban in my opinion. Fair dues to the Garda for finding him but shame on them for not prosecuting.

I wonder if a lobby group should take some of these cases privately through the courts. I'm sure some people have PTSD after these incidents AND they should be reimbursed the cost of their careers travel on public transport as now too afraid to use the bike.

• Advertisement

How's your front wheel?.
    Fine, not sure what came over me. I just had enough. Sadly passed through a Garda checkpoint a minute later so should have passed on the details.

MOD VOICE: indeed, this is gone well off the near misses topic, any further discussion on the 2km vs 20km can continue in the Corona virus/cycling thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

Doing my lockdown loop on quiet local roads in County Leitrim today, two heroes in their '01 rust bucket Passat decided to overtake me on the narrow hump back bridge into the unsighted left hander. Their magnificent MGIF came all of 7 seconds before they then turned off. 'Sh|t for Brains' would be an insult to good, honest manure.....

https://streamable.com/y6fhot

https://streamable.com/5jmzfv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

pm9999 wrote: »
    Doing my lockdown loop on quiet local roads in County Leitrim today, two heroes in their '01 rust bucket Passat decided to overtake me on the narrow hump back bridge into the unsighted left hander. Their magnificent MGIF came all of 7 seconds before they then turned off. 'Sh|t for Brains' would be an insult to good, honest manure.....

https://streamable.com/y6fhot

https://streamable.com/5jmzfv

Gawrsch..... maybe the blue sky summers day in your video put me in a good mood but I would inclined to be much more complimentary of that driver. - Absolutely agree that overtaking you at all was a d1ck move considering he/she was turning right almost immediately, but they were very space aware to the cyclist in the distance behind you. Waited until the oncoming car passed before overtaking and then did so with plenty of room. Also waited well behind you until you had crossed the bridge and the way was clear before overtaking you, and again did so with a reasonable amount of room.

The way you had tee'd it up I was expecting a barnstorming overtake on or just before the blind bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

It was not so much the overtaking room given that ground my gears, more the fact that the bend would have been blind to them due to wall/bushes on the left. Anything coming t'other way and something would have had to give - probably me. T'was the missus behind. I'm sure she would have scraped me up as required ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Out for my 2k radius spin this eve, and an out of service GoAhead bus came up behind me (I was in the bus lane, the off road cycle lane had another cyclist in it and I never use it anyway because it is a (pile of shyte), beeped, went to go around me and then pulled in on top of me. There were 2 other almost empty lanes to the right of the bus :rolleyes: So completely unnecessary.

Keeping in local yesterday, nothing on the roads and no reason for this, driver was messing with their phone while pulling across me I assume trying to open the barrier.

https://streamable.com/uizi4o

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

Keeping in local yesterday, nothing on the roads and no reason for this, driver was messing with their phone while pulling across me I assume trying to open the barrier.

https://streamable.com/uizi4o

Looked like they thought the barrier would stay up if they followed the car that had just went in.

It was hardly malicious either way.

There was no car that just went in, the barrier was down and they driver was on there phone I'm assuming in an attempt to open it. I never said it was malicious but either she did see me and didn't care or was so in grossed in her phone that didn't see me either is contemptuous.

Saying its not malicious is just normalizing ****ty behavior, the driver should of waiting in lane until the barrier opened not blocked a footpath, cycle lane and driving lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

Malicious or not, it's still ignorant, rude, and unsafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Looked like they thought the barrier would stay up if they followed the car that had just went in.

It was hardly malicious either way.

No car went in, someone with a bag walked in,

The impatient driver of this Ford Focus decided that it was ok to overtake me on the approach into Leixlip with oncoming traffic - sure there's loads of room there :rolleyes:
    https://streamable.com/0qich4

Just had a car overtake me on a roundabout, not nice but in the grand scheme of things, wasn't terrible, I shook my head and rode on. At the next lights, there are two cars turning left and the car was just behind them. I went round on the right, didn't say a word. Light went green, I rode through. Pedestrian standing having a chat with a mate on the bike lane, so I look behind, move out, and just as I pass them, crazy passanger in the car, leans out window and tries to knock me as they skim me. I pull up at a Garda car, but they are busy so I leave it and I'll go to a station. As I come through town I stop to let a Garda and a pedestrian cross the road. As I pull off, the same car, is coming the other way, window down and I call in to "learn how to drive". I also spin around and go upto the Gardai standing there. Car pulls up and the passenger, who is clearly the alpha in this relationship, starts spouting off about me being crazy, swerving in front of them, overtaking on the right ( I did do this), hoggin the lane, causing a danger to myself and others. They then both get out of the car, I inform the Garda of my version of events, to which I hear the passenger shouting she has it on video. I tell the Garda that is great, so do I, I am happy I didn't do anything dangerous but happy to be proven wrong. Somehow they can't get the video up on their phone. In the end, I told the Garda, if she hadn't swung out of the window, I would have just ignored it and put it down to ignorance or a misjudgement. In the end the passanger just kept ranting on about me swerving out and being crazy, that I had followed them (we were going in the same direction), and so on. I just told the Garda I just finished work, in the current climate it was obvious why I was out where I was and basically there was no need for acting the pr1ck, I hadn't been. I don't want to have them charged, just tell them not to act like assh0les. The other Garda comes over and tells me that I should have been in the bike lane regardless, something I feel they think after just talking to the muppet passenger. I take the route of descretion and say I normally would be only for the joggers/pedestrians that were using it to social distance. I had looked behind, there was plenty of space and time to pull out and if they had waited 5 seconds I would have been back in the bike lane. The other Garda then pulls rank and says we should just leave it there. As annoyed as I am, I am happy to get out of there, as the passenger has no sense of social distancing and keeps getting up in the Gardas and my face. I do wonder where they were going as they had driven from Shankill, hadn't stopped in a shop, nor picked up anyone or stopped anywhere long enough to do anything. I decided that it wasn't the time to ask these questions.

The other Garda comes over and tells me that I should have been in the bike lane regardless
    aah FFS.
    Why are some gardai just completely ignorant of basic road traffic laws?

aah FFS.
    Why are some gardai just completely ignorant of basic road traffic laws?

Apart from the baltent lying to the Gardai, the driver was guilty of the following: speeding, overtaking on a roundabout, not indicating, using a phone while driving, running a red light (in front of a Garda car BTW), dangerous overtaking (about 3 inches from my handlebars), and I suspect not out for essential reasons consdering where they came from, where I met them on the return and how long it took them to get there (ie they didn't stop anywhere like a shop or relative). The passenger is guilty of attempted assault, they barely skimmed me as the passanger tried to knock me.

The Garda who talked to me seemed reasonable but the other Garda had decided I was in the wrong, despite the two of the (passenger and driver) repeatedly cutting across the Garda and at one point stepping in front of them in an attempt to spook me, but the Garda didn't seen to have an issue with this driver and passenger being aggressive pr1cks. Funny how the passengers video didn't work once I pointed ut I had it on film as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Functioning scum Cramcycle, nothing more, and scum that doesn't accept their own status as scum, thinks they're way above it.

Same kind of cohort that drove the content for "Inside the K".

Baffled at the Garda reaction all the same - perhaps they didn't want a confrontation? Thought all in uniform would know by now about the non-mandatory use of cycle tracks by cyclists but maybe I'm reaching a bit, who knows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's absolutely crazy Cram :eek: . And you have it all on camera? I think you should go report it, make a statement etc. That's just outright dangerous, you should report it before they do the same one of the wobblier new cyclists out there now cos of the lockdown, they wouldn't be able to handle themselves as well as you would C.
    Insanely dangerous and absolutely unnecessary. I mean why? I just don't get why people do things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Just had a car overtake me on a roundabout, not nice but in the grand scheme of things, wasn't terrible, I shook my head and rode on. At the next lights, there are two cars turning left and the car was just behind them. I went round on the right, didn't say a word. Light went green, I rode through. Pedestrian standing having a chat with a mate on the bike lane, so I look behind, move out, and just as I pass them, crazy passanger in the car, leans out window and tries to knock me as they skim me. I pull up at a Garda car, but they are busy so I leave it and I'll go to a station. As I come through town I stop to let a Garda and a pedestrian cross the road. As I pull off, the same car, is coming the other way, window down and I call in to "learn how to drive". I also spin around and go upto the Gardai standing there. Car pulls up and the passenger, who is clearly the alpha in this relationship, starts spouting off about me being crazy, swerving in front of them, overtaking on the right ( I did do this), hoggin the lane, causing a danger to myself and others. They then both get out of the car, I inform the Garda of my version of events, to which I hear the passenger shouting she has it on video. I tell the Garda that is great, so do I, I am happy I didn't do anything dangerous but happy to be proven wrong. Somehow they can't get the video up on their phone. In the end, I told the Garda, if she hadn't swung out of the window, I would have just ignored it and put it down to ignorance or a misjudgement. In the end the passanger just kept ranting on about me swerving out and being crazy, that I had followed them (we were going in the same direction), and so on. I just told the Garda I just finished work, in the current climate it was obvious why I was out where I was and basically there was no need for acting the pr1ck, I hadn't been. I don't want to have them charged, just tell them not to act like assh0les. The other Garda comes over and tells me that I should have been in the bike lane regardless, something I feel they think after just talking to the muppet passenger. I take the route of descretion and say I normally would be only for the joggers/pedestrians that were using it to social distance. I had looked behind, there was plenty of space and time to pull out and if they had waited 5 seconds I would have been back in the bike lane. The other Garda then pulls rank and says we should just leave it there. As annoyed as I am, I am happy to get out of there, as the passenger has no sense of social distancing and keeps getting up in the Gardas and my face. I do wonder where they were going as they had driven from Shankill, hadn't stopped in a shop, nor picked up anyone or stopped anywhere long enough to do anything. I decided that it wasn't the time to ask these questions.

By any chance was this a small red 132WW car? I had an issue on the Dublin Road yesterday opposite Lidl (within my 2km!). Have it on camera but was in two minds whether to post it here or report it. Either way this guy was a b311end. Didn't really want to take up AGS time atm.

Saw this tweet from a London based cycling person. If only the gardai were this diligent...

https://twitter.com/Nepomucene/status/1251147993576685574?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Saw this tweet from a London based cycling person. If only the gardai were this diligent...

https://twitter.com/Nepomucene/status/1251147993576685574?s=19

Tbf some are. I've had a 5/5 success rate with my TW complaints

Advertisement