Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you were going at a fair clip there . i think you might have pulled in a bit more if you heard traffic coming up behind you. that said , traffic was very light plenty of room for them to overtake you. I wish people were more understanding of each other. bit more give and take would make life a lot easier for everybody.
    1. I was keeping a social distance of at least 2m from the pedestrians and cyclists - as I'm supposed to be doing.
    2. You twice refer to "traffic" - as far as the Road Traffic Acts are concerned, I am traffic.
    3. There was no justification for their behaviour - at all! The driver unnecessarily beeped at me during the first overtake but more dangerously close passed me on the second overtake. Twice the passenger opened their door to me - once during each overtake (the door opened after the first overtake which given the speed made me think it was somewhat premeditated). Yet you make it sound like I did something wrong and not once appear to criticise their behaviour. What more could I have given? Should I have stopped to allow the pedestrians pass? Should I have moved closed to the pedestrians simply to allow these two ignorant cows get to their destination quicker (noting that most other drivers have no problem passing safely and without the attempted assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Even making a statement isn't guaranteed to go anywhere. The local Inspector (IIRC) will review the statement and any footage and then make a decision on whether it should be taken further. :rolleyes:

Local inspector told me before that "taxi drivers are just doing their jobs trying to make a living" when reporting them for abusing cycle lanes as their own personal waiting ranks every evening.

And that was after a GSOC complaint in relation to their inaction, which took 4 months to be referred back to the local station for what they call "local intervention" (absolutely useless)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Had a pair of mad yokes lose the plot with me a while ago presumably because I was not using the cycle lane (I was keeping a social distance from pedestrians and a cyclist in the lane!).

The driver beeped at me as she passed which the camera didn't seem to pick up.
    The passenger squaked out the window at me and opened her door slightly just as they passed.
    I caught up with them at the lights and figured I'd ask the driver WTF. However, the passenger hopped out of the car just as the lights went green.
    I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.

https://streamable.com/nnye4a

That's definite one for Trafficwatch - opening the door crosses the line for me into attempted assault, and I can't see any Garda thinking otherwise. (I know shouting/spitting is technically assault, but you'd be hard pushed to find someone to prosecute that for you.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

1. I was keeping a social distance of at least 2m from the pedestrians and cyclists - as I'm supposed to be doing.

Genuine question, does the 2m apply to cyclists? You're within the 2m zone for a fraction of a second and figured that chances of transmission are extremely low.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Genuine question, does the 2m apply to cyclists? You're within the 2m zone for a fraction of a second and figured that chances of transmission are extremely low.
    I haven't been made aware of any exceptions so I'm happy to continue with the 2m gap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Despite many people being unable to grasp, even roughly, how wide 2m is, it does apply to everyone.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Despite many people being unable to grasp, even roughly, how wide 2m is, it does apply to everyone.

Doesn't seem to apply to people in supermarkets, cashiers, people working together, people living together, people walking by on narrow footpaths etc.

Always exceptions to the rule!

Doesn't seem to apply to people in supermarkets, cashiers, people working together, people living together, people walking by on narrow footpaths etc.

Always exceptions to the rule!

They aren't exceptions though, people walking together are meant to be living together, people walking by others on narrow footpaths should have one person step out into the road as most are doing, many shops have shields up or a physical barrier to help seperation. Just because some people don't do it, doesn't mean there is a list of exceptions, there are simply some who don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I give everyone walking 2mtrs. If they're on the road I'll go opposite lane. Drivers can wait

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're doing 30km/h on a bike, you'd want to be giving at least a metre gap anyway, and especially with pedestrians who may change direction without looking (well, everyone can do that, but a cyclist has a greater duty of care to watch out for pedestrians than they have for cyclists)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

2. You twice refer to "traffic" - as far as the Road Traffic Acts are concerned, I am traffic.
    3. There was no justification for their behaviour - at all! The driver unnecessarily beeped at me during the first overtake but more dangerously close passed me on the second overtake. Twice the passenger opened their door to me - once during each overtake (the door opened after the first overtake which given the speed made me think it was somewhat premeditated). Yet you make it sound like I did something wrong and not once appear to criticise their behaviour. What more could I have given? Should I have stopped to allow the pedestrians pass? Should I have moved closed to the pedestrians simply to allow these two ignorant cows get to their destination quicker (noting that most other drivers have no problem passing safely and without the attempted assault?

first off, my intention wasn't to piss you off, in hindsight i can see how it would if I was reading it. sorry for that. I cycle a lot . i guess we have a different view. There is no excuse for the cars behaviour. If it was myself that was cycling i'd probably be staying in the cycle lane but if not i'd slowly drift in to allow cars to pass me and back out again slowly after checking behind me. I'm open to many approaches. In most cases a quick hand/finger, nod if needed will make life more pleasant for all . And of course you're part of traffic, aren't you on the road. you were taking your 2m distance which is your right. do most other cyclists do it ? (doesn't make it necessarily right , i know). Just pointing out that it might be seen by a lot of others especially agressive drivers as a dick move by you. Again just offering another view and certainly not looking to 'win' an argument.

first off, my intention wasn't to piss you off, in hindsight i can see how it would if I was reading it. sorry for that. I cycle a lot . i guess we have a different view. There is no excuse for the cars behaviour. If it was myself that was cycling i'd probably be staying in the cycle lane but if not i'd slowly drift in to allow cars to pass me and back out again slowly after checking behind me. I'm open to many approaches. In most cases a quick hand/finger, nod if needed will make life more pleasant for all . And of course you're part of traffic, aren't you on the road. you were taking your 2m distance which is your right. do most other cyclists do it ? (doesn't make it necessarily right , i know). Just pointing out that it might be seen by a lot of others especially agressive drivers as a dick move by you. Again just offering another view and certainly not looking to 'win' an argument.

I do it all the time on my commute, pedestrians for the most part get why your at it, and motorists in the majority get why your at it. Do other cyclists do it for the most part, yep. There are a few who don't, typically fall into two groups. I move into the bike lane when I can see it is clear for the foreseeable future but some of them have a raised kerb and no line of sight and while I would like to believe I can bunny hop up and down on those kerbs with ease, the sad truth is I can't. If a driver is so poor they can't overtake properly considering how light road traffic is and are aggressive about it, they are the problem.

if you're doing 30km/h on a bike, you'd want to be giving at least a metre gap anyway, and especially with pedestrians who may change direction without looking (well, everyone can do that, but a cyclist has a greater duty of care to watch out for pedestrians than they have for cyclists)

Oh I agree, but there is also a balance between trying to maintain social distancing and putting yourself at risk on the road as well. You may be following the letter of the law by moving out of the bike lane, but some motorists can't see that and put you in further danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If the Gardaí wanted to throw the book at them, as well as the obvious, they also overtook on a solid white line. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's weird one! The first overtake is very considerate on the camera - they're fully four wheels on the other side of the road (of a solid white line mind), but what's the with the getting out of the car?? And then then the opening of the passenger door is a clear and crazy attempt to knock you off the bike at speed. -That's fcukin insane. I'd definitely be taking THAT bit to the guards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was cycling through Lusk on the way to work this morning when the driver of an open top sports car drove closely alongside me and started lecturing me about being out cycling and telling me to stay at home. I tried informing him that I was a HSE frontline worker but he was more interested in the sound of his own voice. I wonder how essential his journey was?

(That's the third time I've had my commute questioned by civilians since the lockdown began).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You have a convertible in Ireland, it's a sure sign you're a grade a prat. I don't apologies to anyone for the generalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Weepsie wrote: »
    You have a convertible in Ireland, it's a sure sign you're a grade a prat. I don't apologies to anyone for the generalisation

If you say that everyone in Ireland, who has a convertible, is a grade a (sic) prat,
    it's a sure sign that you are a grade A twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

On the way to do the shopping and was nearly clipped by a white Prius taxi.. of course barely 100m ahead he stops to turn into the church up the road to drop off some aul one.
    On the way back had to brake heavily as a group of lads 4, maybe a 5th* came flying through a red in group formation. That one really p!sses me off as we are doing this whole lockdown for a reason and as a result I'm not getting the miles in, can't meet up with the club rides etc but here we have a bunch of (unts thinking the rules don't apply.

*There were 4 doing laps earlier and I think a 5th had joined them at this point. If it's any one in here then I'd just like to give a f you to the lot of you selfish pricks. If you happen to be of the same household then I take it back, but please don't cut corners ffs!

Edit.. I've calmed down now :-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If you say that everyone in Ireland, who has a convertible, is a grade a (sic) prat,
    it's a sure sign that you are a grade A twat.

Ah I don't care enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ah I don't care enough
    Are you not even a little bit curious as to what convertible Eamonnator drives?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah you beat me to it! I was just about to ask him to post pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Are you not even a little bit curious as to what convertible Eamonnator drives?

:pac:

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=11440

As you ask. Mine was like this, a red 1992 E30 BMW318i. I bought it as a retirement present to myself in 2004. I kept it for 6 or 7 years. It always put me in good humour, when I drove it. It was lovely to drive and was quite basic, no air conditioning, cruise control, air bags or electric roof, but was in great nick. I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Had a pair of mad yokes lose the plot with me a while ago presumably because I was not using the cycle lane (I was keeping a social distance from pedestrians and a cyclist in the lane!).

The driver beeped at me as she passed which the camera didn't seem to pick up.
    The passenger squaked out the window at me and opened her door slightly just as they passed.
    I caught up with them at the lights and figured I'd ask the driver WTF. However, the passenger hopped out of the car just as the lights went green.
    I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.

https://streamable.com/nnye4a

That's assault, and I hope you take it in to leixlip station.

I don't want to have to share the roads with those cretins.

Meanwhile in England, Northants Roads Policing twittered this (don't recall AGS or RSA doing anything similar)...

https://twitter.com/northants_SRT/status/1254015952276074496

I'm only seeing this now (in a online meeting so wandering through twitter during the boring bits).

https://twitter.com/CarHelmets/status/1254501467609690113

It is based on this incident in Aussieland - Man charged after group of five cyclists hit by car on busy Qld road

Managed to stumble across this advert (for Cycliq cycling camera) on Twitter just now.

It is somewhat extreme so be warned!

https://twitter.com/Cycliq/status/1258269135840174080

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Cycling back from the shops today and plenty of idiots out and about again, unable to perform a safe overtake or wait for a few seconds.

Thoughts on this one?
    https://streamable.com/r5yadj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Cycling back from the shops today and plenty of idiots out and about again, unable to perform a safe overtake or wait for a few seconds.

Thoughts on this one?

Idiotic.....no cars coming the opposite direction had he/she waited a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Thoughts on this one?

Yep, this week has definitely seen the triumphant return of dopey drivers. Left hooks, SMIDGAFs while eyeballing me out of it, stopping at advance stopping lines for no reason, blantant red light running, they're all back in vogue. Pedestrians also seem to be enjoying aiming towards me as they're crossing the road, I've had to stop dead more than once to keep up social distancing.

Amazing the difference extending the exercise radius by a perfectly walkable/cyclable 3km has made.

I haven't had a close pass yet because my route involves a lot of bus/cycle lanes, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Not much I can say about your one there. Bog standard idiotic pass for no good reason.

Advertisement