Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Steoller wrote: »
    That's assault, and I hope you take it in to leixlip station.

I don't want to have to share the roads with those cretins.
    Credit to the garda involved but he has kept me in the loop all along (including calling me to say he'd be off for a few days so expect a bit of radio silence). Anyhow he is going to get in touch with the driver allegedly concerning other more serious traffic offences on the basis of my video so I'm happy.

Was there more traffic in general today? Seemed that way to me though I was out about around 4pm so might have just been people coming from work around then , but just seemed like every set of lights I came to had a bigger queue of cars and vans at them than I've seen in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Was there more traffic in general today? Seemed that way to me though I was out about around 4pm so might have just been people coming from work around then , but just seemed like every set of lights I came to had a bigger queue of cars and vans at them than I've seen in recent times.

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yes lots more traffic the last few mornings, also have noticed sites open, builders working and landscapers working plenty gone back to work well ahead of the 18th. Had a stupid pass myself this am too narrow country road and a car squeezes past me to pull in 50m later gobsh1te.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tnegun wrote: »
    Yes lots more traffic the last few mornings, also have noticed sites open, builders working and landscapers working plenty gone back to work well ahead of the 18th. Had a stupid pass myself this am too narrow country road and a car squeezes past me to pull in 50m later gobsh1te.

Some places never stopped. One of the largest bar owners in town could be seen doing up his new property on the corner all through the lockdown. They boarded up the windows as if it made it impossible to tell what was going on. A site on the N11 just before the Stillorgan Park hotel only shut up when the complaints about the workers blocking the footpath and bike path got to epic proportions. They continued for over a week before they finally shut.

Don't ever forget the number of people who didn't give a sh1te about the rest of us when things reopen. I understand some people don't understand or simply don't get it but there are plenty of people who do, but none of them are serving customers or working in tight quarters with their co workers. As a co worker said to me, all the vinters you see protestign being held back in Dublin, none of them are goign to be serving pints when they reopen. Unlike when i was a barman many years ago, none of them will be paying much above minmum wage, as opposed to years ago when it was a well paid and respected job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

This was from last September. Big man obviously wasn't in that much of a rush, he had time to pull in further up the road to threaten to beat me if I touched his car again. Not posting that part as faces and voices make us personally identifiable. Still 2 maybe 3 seconds later and he could have safely over taken me.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Some places never stopped. One of the largest bar owners in town could be seen doing up his new property on the corner all through the lockdown. They boarded up the windows as if it made it impossible to tell what was going on. A site on the N11 just before the Stillorgan Park hotel only shut up when the complaints about the workers blocking the footpath and bike path got to epic proportions. They continued for over a week before they finally shut.

Don't ever forget the number of people who didn't give a sh1te about the rest of us when things reopen. I understand some people don't understand or simply don't get it but there are plenty of people who do, but none of them are serving customers or working in tight quarters with their co workers. As a co worker said to me, all the vinters you see protestign being held back in Dublin, none of them are goign to be serving pints when they reopen. Unlike when i was a barman many years ago, none of them will be paying much above minmum wage, as opposed to years ago when it was a well paid and respected job.

It's funny in all of this I haven't heard one soundbyte from a punter complaining about not being able to have a pint, pubs need to note this. I was a barman too in a previous life and I was there in a near empty bar on December 31st 1999 because all the local bars thought it was clever to charge in that night and people had house parties instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, i've seen plenty of stuff on social media along the lines of 'i'd kill just to sit in my favourite seat down the pub with a pint in front of me'.

ah, i've seen plenty of stuff on social media along the lines of 'i'd kill just to sit in my favourite seat down the pub with a pint in front of me'.

Street bingo and cans/bottles is popular up may way last two weekends on social media..... don't get me started :rolleyes:

Diageo marketing machine think they have identified their target audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

Very close one this afternoon along the Dollymount cycle track, the one along the sea walk. Despite the huge crowding on it today I was getting along fine at a decent speed until I was gradually maneuvering to avoid a parent coming towards me on a bike who had his eyes on his child a few meters back - between the two of them they were occupying both lanes. At the very last second he seemed to lose control for a moment as his eyes were fixated behind him and swerved into me, forcing me to abruptly brake to a stop and shout to warn him. Luckily that got his attention and he stopped, but we were practically wheel to wheel at that point and he nearly went over his handlebars. Milliseconds from a full on collision.

In fairness to him he immediately apologised, saying he was trying to keep an eye on his kid. I just said fair enough, nobody got hurt and making a scene over it would have only served to upset us, the child and the day that was in it, so it was left there.

Very annoying though when something like that happens - it's fantastic to see everyone out exercising but unfortunately many people aren't exercising basic cop on! I don't mean just himself necessarily, as there were countless joggers and groups of cyclists out today occupying both cycle lanes. I know parents do have to keep a constant eye on young kids but would it not be safer for everyone to have the parent behind and the child in front to avoid this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Garzard wrote: »
    Very close one this afternoon along the Dollymount cycle track, the one along the sea walk. Despite the huge crowding on it today I was getting along fine at a decent speed until I was gradually maneuvering to avoid a parent coming towards me on a bike who had his eyes on his child a few meters back - between the two of them they were occupying both lanes. At the very last second he seemed to lose control for a moment as his eyes were fixated behind him and swerved into me, forcing me to abruptly brake to a stop and shout to warn him. Luckily that got his attention and he stopped, but we were practically wheel to wheel at that point and he nearly went over his handlebars. Milliseconds from a full on collision.

In fairness to him he immediately apologised, saying he was trying to keep an eye on his kid. I just said fair enough, nobody got hurt and making a scene over it would have only served to upset us, the child and the day that was in it, so it was left there.

Very annoying though when something like that happens - it's fantastic to see everyone out exercising but unfortunately many people aren't exercising basic cop on! I don't mean just himself necessarily, as there were countless joggers and groups of cyclists out today occupying both cycle lanes. I know parents do have to keep a constant eye on young kids but would it not be safer for everyone to have the parent behind and the child in front to avoid this sort of thing?

It would, but small kids are small kids and they do things you don't want all the time. I try keep my youngest in front of my on a cycle, but he managed to make me fall off my bike last week :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If the path was crowded, and you wanted to cycle along at a fine decent clip, it's probably better to use the road. It's a public amenity used by families so it's up to you to make allowances for kids behaving erratically.

I would always view cycle tracks as being for this specific situation, not everyone agrees but I would use the road myself once there is anytype of crowd or young ones on it. Also if there are old ones on it. In fact, once anyone is on it, I'd choose the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Just take it handy on that track, it's a very badly designed piece of infrastructure for the most part. Obv it's fast when it's empty but it gets busy every summer.

Like others have said the road is where you go if you want to go faster than crowd or if you aren't prepared to slow down regularly for all the various obstacles.

The only people causing an issue at the minute are dudes overtaking while weaving and moaning loudly about being held up by bloody Cyclists or having to share space with pedestrians (while being in the wrong about who has priority in the shared spaces)

Of course, but just to be clear, the kid was cycling normally a few meters back behind the parent. It was the latter who almost collided into me - not the kid.

I did start using the road soon after, but the surface conditions are awful in much of the area and I've experienced road rage from motorists before up there for not using the cycle lanes. It's a hard call to make, deciding between the two on a day like yesterday when everywhere's crowded.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's a hard call to make, deciding between the two on a day like yesterday when everywhere's crowded.
    IMO if the forecast is good then you can usually predict a crowd. In that case, go for your spin early in the morning.

Of course, but just to be clear, the kid was cycling normally a few meters back behind the parent. It was the latter who almost collided into me - not the kid.
    yes, but you mentioned both 'huge overcrowding' and 'getting along at a fine decent speed'.
    you also seem to have spotted beforehand that the adult in question was not looking at you because he was focussed on his kid. well done for avoiding the collision, but there's a simple rule of thumb with situations regarding road/vehicle/pedestrian safety - the person in the larger vehicle or who is moving faster generally shares a greater responsibility for their actions than the more exposed or slow moving people.

I did start using the road soon after, but the surface conditions are awful in much of the area and I've experienced road rage from motorists before up there for not using the cycle lanes. It's a hard call to make, deciding between the two on a day like yesterday when everywhere's crowded.
    I get guff from motorists all the time for not using the cycle path in my area. Not a law but my rule of thumb is if I can explain why I'm there logically and without getting agitated to a Garda, I'm pretty sure I made the right call and if people want to get annoyed with me, so be it. The majority of those who give out are typically those who have done, are doing or in the following moments about to do something far more dangerous and / or illegal. If I can't explain it, then I'll wave and move in as soon as it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For the duration of COVID there is no such thing as a cycle track only a jogging lane. Even at 7AM when the ped paths are a ghost town. Should mount a super soaker to the bike...

• Advertisement

yes, but you mentioned both 'huge overcrowding' and 'getting along at a fine decent speed'.
    you also seem to have spotted beforehand that the adult in question was not looking at you because he was focussed on his kid. well done for avoiding the collision, but there's a simple rule of thumb with situations regarding road/vehicle/pedestrian safety - the person in the larger vehicle or who is moving faster generally shares a greater responsibility for their actions than the more exposed or slow moving people.

As there happened to be fewer people around the spot where this occurred and seeing that he was distracted, I decided well in advance to use the free space to give as much clearance as possible - for good measure I also slowed to 20kph (estimate) when making the turn. Only at that last second did he suddenly swerve into my path. I don't think there's any more I could have reasonably done on that. While I agree in principle with the larger vehicle/greater speed point of responsibility, in some situations you can take every precaution and still be caught out at that last second by someone not paying attention.

Main thing is no one got hurt, and errors like these happen to the best of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If the path was crowded, and you wanted to cycle along at a fine decent clip, it's probably better to use the road. It's a public amenity used by families so it's up to you to make allowances for kids behaving erratically.

Yeah any of the paths around Limerick are for this purpose only for socially hobby cycling - but if you are out for a decent spin it can be very awkward to dodge the amount of walkers, joggers and kids out cycling. Much safer for everyone involved if you use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

...I've experienced road rage from motorists before up there for not using the cycle lanes.

Never give in to that. We've as much right to be on the road as they have, regardless of cycle-lanes.

Its a tough fight and quite often the Gardai take the side of the motorist I'm afraid.

Drivers seem to be back to the usual crap in Cork, anyway.

Both of these within 10 minutes of eachother - pointless, impatient, dangerous overtakes. I was cycling to Tesco to do some shopping! :rolleyes:

Gardai just wanted to call them and 'have a word' on the phone - I politely declined and advised them I'd rather make a formal report with footage. Can't accept this crap...

Thoughts?

https://streamable.com/24a75s
    https://streamable.com/x92hne

---

https://streamable.com/yvsige
    https://streamable.com/fkknz2

My own dad had similar a few weeks back on the same road - van driver nearly knocked him off his bike. :mad:

Out for for prework spin this am and it was like a normal rush hour anyway I turned off to a side road to keep within my 5k and this guy never looked up from his phone once I'm pretty sure he didn't even know I was there.https://streamable.com/82ogj9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Drivers seem to be back to the usual crap in Cork, anyway.

Both of these within 10 minutes of eachother - pointless, impatient, dangerous overtakes. I was cycling to Tesco to do some shopping! :rolleyes:

Gardai just wanted to call them and 'have a word' on the phone - I politely declined and advised them I'd rather make a formal report with footage. Can't accept this crap...

Thoughts?

https://streamable.com/24a75s
    https://streamable.com/x92hne

---

https://streamable.com/yvsige
    https://streamable.com/fkknz2

My own dad had similar a few weeks back on the same road - van driver nearly knocked him off his bike. :mad:

Honestly, to me they look like your typical common or garden thoughtless overtake maneuvres to me but neither of them looks hugely dangerous.

In saying that, I think sadly we've all on this island been conditioned to expect and accept sh*tty behavior on our roads and as a result the bar of expectation is generally set pretty low. This was very evident when international VeloCity delegates visited here last year and were clearly appalled after experiencing 1/2 hour of the same Irish driver behavior that local commuters put up with everyday of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tnegun wrote: »
    Out for for prework spin this am and it was like a normal rush hour anyway I turned off to a side road to keep within my 5k and this guy never looked up from his phone once I'm pretty sure he didn't even know I was there.https://streamable.com/82ogj9

Drivers own the road that they pay for with their road tax. :cool:

Seriously bad one today. Unbelievable really. Coming up to a blind junction too.

https://streamable.com/1f409p

• Advertisement

What an ass overtaking approaching a junction and into on coming traffic!

Advertisement