Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

DeadSkin wrote: »
    What the feck was yer man doing in the silver car on the other side of the road 19 seconds in!!!!

Driving off the footpath/cycle lane and heading away on the wrong side of the road! The usual.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its only funny because he didn't hit the lady and young lad in the Car Park but it nearly was not very funny at all.

On the way down to the shop on the way home from work, a driver pulled in on the pavement and double yellows. Undoubtedly because, just like the driver who just drove away, he wasn't arsed parking and walking 10m. As I rode passed, his window was down, and I politely said, "that's not a parking space". I thought no more about it. I stopped to let a car make a turn in front of me as the weird junction that is next is actually hard to tell who has right of way (the driver had but didn't realise). Anyway, pull into the shop, locking up the bike when I hear the driver who obviously decided that following me was more important than going wherever he was off too slow rolled passed me and was coming to a stop as he started to give out to me. Thankfully his passanger let a scream and he half stopped/swerved as the two previously mentioned people pinned themselves to a car as he skimmed them. He decided not to wait around to give out, as his passenger apologised out the window. The Lady who was nearly hit was confused as to why he had tried ot run her over and then changed his mind at the behest of his passenger.

I still can't figure out why he came after me as the shop he was pulling into was on a one way street, and if he was to return there, he had added on at least 150m more walking, or several minutes driving, all to "explain" to me, presumably, that he wasn't parking but dropping someone off.

Thankfully no one was hurt but it was bizarre. I really don't think he should be driving if he pays such little attention to whats going on around him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In very broad terms, the cycling community seems to be significantly more lefty/greeny than society at large. So I allowed my self a little grin when I saw Karl, who is slightly to the right of Thatcher on economic issues, posting this fairly classic example of a left hook near miss.

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1266274719906459652

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Driving through Millennium Roundabout (Powercity near Blanch, D15) this afternoon at 15:20 and cyclist down which looked serious. Fire brigade on the scene and they had the cyclist in a neck and back brace on the road possibly waiting for an ambulance. There was another cyclist with him talking to the fire crew and the bike was at the roundabout with the front wheel removed. Hope all is ok.

My missus picked up a young male cyclist who was knocked down on the roundabout outside Dundrum Town Centre, Tesco fuel station side yesterday afternoon. He was fairly shook, but didn't seem to have any major injuries. She brought him and bike home. Driver said that they were in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Driving through Millennium Roundabout (Powercity near Blanch, D15) this afternoon at 15:20 and cyclist down which looked serious. Fire brigade on the scene and they had the cyclist in a neck and back brace on the road possibly waiting for an ambulance. There was another cyclist with him talking to the fire crew and the bike was at the roundabout with the front wheel removed. Hope all is ok.

Hope he's ok, that's near me. Notoriously "fast" roundabout, very difficult to get across on a bike without being super assertive and bloody quick/strong.

Have had a few close calls there myself, but the way it's designed the ped crossings which might be useful for a bike are so far apart and light-controlled as to make them a real chore to use on a bike. if you're travelling 2 exits you have some chance, but 3 exits is a real challenge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fire brigade on the scene and they had the cyclist in a neck and back brace on the road
    i think that's standard practice - it can make the situation look worse than it is, but it's a very obvious 'better safe than sorry' thing for them to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I know that roundabout well. No matter how much time you think you have, a car always seems to gun it on one of the exits. That's my experience of it at least. It's got lights at part of it too, but they are a bit awkwardly placed in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

My missus picked up a young male cyclist who was knocked down on the roundabout outside Dundrum Town Centre, Tesco fuel station side yesterday afternoon. He was fairly shook, but didn't seem to have any major injuries. She brought him and bike home. Driver said that they were in a hurry.

Well done to Mrs Renko!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

My missus picked up a young male cyclist who was knocked down........Driver said that they were in a hurry.

Hope the driver wasn't delayed.............what a response to give.

Sorry for almost killing you but I'm in a rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

micar wrote: »

Saddest thing is that it's probably the truth of the situation.

The fact that there's no sense of social shame or embarrassment to admit straight out that he just couldn't be bothered driving safely in the proximity the cyclist says everything you need to know about where Ireland is as a society in terms of protecting its VRUs.

micar wrote: »

That's the main reason I posted here, in case the cyclist sees it and needs a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Was just saying to myself it had been a great morning with no stupid passes then this 10k from home. Car had only just come up behind me too and I was planning on pulling in a bit if the surface allowed but she was having none of it.

https://streamable.com/gulo43

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats a good camera^ what is it?

Although everything bike related looks good in this weather.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats a good camera^ what is it?

Although everything bike related looks good in this weather.
    I assume from the video watermark it's a Cycliq Fly 12 (camera & light)
    I have one also but the bracket is weak plastic and prone to breaking. Need to find something that is stronger.
    What bracket are you using tnegun?

(FYI the Fly6 rear camera & light is great!)

Yeah its a Fly12CE. Its a good camera but not without its faults. I was on my 4th or 5th mount before I switched to the on bar one. The unit is too heavy for the other and disintegrates with astonishing consistency I can't remember now but it was something like 1600km +/- 100km when I started counting.
    Cycliq tried to say I was over tightening it and damaging it then blamed the Garmin bracket so I got another but it failed in exactly the same way with it too. In fairness they did keep sending them but the camera hit the ground hard once as a result and they just said the recommended securing using the strap too!
    The bluetooth gave up on it recently aswell and I've never gotten 8 hours out of it currently it will manage about an hour fifty recording in 1080p with the strobe on and it's just out of warranty.

(FYI the Fly6 rear camera & light is great!)
    I have had two of the new generation ones, both broke fairly quick. Guy in the shop said it was a common return. Great camera, and light but I wouldn't put faith it in lasting after two returns.

For the price of them its crazy they're having such issues with the mounts failing just make them from metal and not cheap plastic and it would solve most of these issues.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tnegun wrote: »
    I was on my 4th or 5th mount before I switched to the on bar one.
    I found that my 31.8mm bar is too much for the standard mount and the hinge just breaks when I try tighten it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »

Is there any actual info on it, after the last one I am skeptical about buying one again.

I got mine at decent price on sale and still feel like a paid too much for what was good light and an average 720p camera. At the moment I'm using it as an expensive rear light as I've not used it as a camera in ages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Magic shine were supposed to be bringing a fly6 alternative to market. It was shown at the Taiwan bike show, but I wonder if it was too similar and they had to drop it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is there any actual info on it, after the last one I am skeptical about buying one again.

https://cycliq.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmail/d/E3B083ABC0E6F77B2540EF23F30FEDED/5D0056448D43D4261D419C9787CC9684

Only 4 hour battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

And they want people to pre-order now @219 euro as stock limited due to Corona and an August delivery. Almost zero information other than specs available and zero reviews. Already had email from them encouraging me to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

...and that's at optimal temperatures (for the lithium battery which I read somewhere is like 21 degrees or something) as well probably. Can't see 4hrs in winter time here. Be charging the thing too often.
    As a dragon said... And for that reason, I'm out :)

andy69 wrote: »
    ...and that's at optimal temperatures (for the lithium battery which I read somewhere is like 21 degrees or something) as well probably. Can't see 4hrs in winter time here. Be charging the thing too often.

I have series 2 , and it works fine for me in combination with fly 12 ( series 1), battery for the fly 6 is between 4 and 6 hours, longer for the fly 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

andy69 wrote: »

What alternatives are there ? Even just a camera with no light. The hero 8 black only lasts 1.5-2 hours max 1080p @60fps with all features turned off. It's a pity GoPro discontinued the diminutive hero 5 session.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Flaccus wrote: »
    What alternatives are there ? Even just a camera with no light. The hero 8 black only lasts 1.5-2 hours max 1080p @60fps with all features turned off. It's a pity GoPro discontinued the diminutive hero 5 session.

Amen. The Sessions are perfect if the image quality was 15% better and double the run time which could totally be managed with modern SoCs itd be perfect. As is very good.

The thought is Sessions eat into the sales of the main unit which has better margins. No clones have done a true successor yet either.

• Advertisement

It's occurred to me a few times that it would be great to be able to charge stuff with your peddling like a camera or phone. Dynamo's are not new tech so a quick google there and yeah I'll keep charging the old way.

Not cheap by any stretch. Looks to be around 200 euro for the kit and unit that sits on the top of the steerer tube and only one port.

Advertisement