Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ghost XL or 4k, I still use the Sleath II, great camera. If their follow up ones are as good, there is a reasonable alternative. The Sleath II actually slots in under my saddle.and between the saddle rails, and makes a perfect camera holder (Fizik saddles).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's occurred to me a few times that it would be great to be able to charge stuff with your peddling like a camera or phone. Dynamo's are not new tech so a quick google there and yeah I'll keep charging the old way.

Not cheap by any stretch. Looks to be around 200 euro for the kit and unit that sits on the top of the steerer tube and only one port.

You can get a b+m usb / dynamo charger. Less than 100. Not nearly as neat but it works. I have one, but don't actually use it. Plan on using it on a new build hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Finally got myself some bike cameras (cycliq), first day out and had this close pass.
    Its such a common occurrence, I am not sure whats worth reporting, does it need to be `close close` or just `close` ? :-)

https://streamable.com/r4j5qd

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gaz wrote: »
    Finally got myself some bike cameras (cycliq), first day out and had this close pass.
    Its such a common occurrence, I am not sure whats worth reporting, does it need to be `close close` or just `close` ? :-)

The ignorant prick.
    It is a defo close-pass however, I'd say that the triage system wihtin the station would mean that the Super (or whoever it is decides not ot bother doing anything) will park it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Or if the driver was apologetic and had no previous convictions, they'd drop it too. More and more I'm seeing cases where people have committed murder with a motor vehicle only to get a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Or in my instance the driver was so shocked that a guard would be following up on this he said there was a perfectly good cycle lane guard so the cyclist was in the wrong lane. No remorse expressed to the guard just the fact there was a cycle lane present which the guard seemed to agree with and the drivers apparent shock was enough drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have series 2 , and it works fine for me in combination with fly 12 ( series 1), battery for the fly 6 is between 4 and 6 hours, longer for the fly 12.

Aren't they always on, i.e. don't shut down completely, in order to keep bluetooth active so you can connect to them? Mine, if not used for a while, still manage to be dead when I get back to using them again. Picture quality is great though.

Re accepting apologies on the recommendations from the gardai, unless the offender were remorseful at the time and attempt to acknowledge their mistake, or just weren't intent on risking injury to myself like with punishment passes, I'm of the mind that I won't accept them. I've a case with the gardai at the moment and I told them I wouldn't accept an apology when they told me the various directions they could go as the driver purposely drove like he did, and when caught up with at the next lights, wouldn't acknowledge my existence, never mind their actions. They could apologise then, but don't come crying with one when the gardai come knocking at your door only because you've been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Remarkable one yesterday.

In Rathgar, Dublin. I'm sitting at the 4 way cross roads having come from Terenure. I passed a lady on a bike, a bit out in the middle of the road, seemed like she was enjoying the weather and maybe a bit away with the fairies.

Lights are red. I hear a bicycle bell ding twice as she piles straight through down towards Rathmines. I couldn't believe it. Cars coming thru green lights from left and right happened to miss her. By very little. She hollered something and shook a fist. And kept going. She is very lucky not to be dead.

I was tempted to go after her and ask her if she had a death wish, but thought better of it - very little chance of having a sensible outcome with someone that thought that was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Really.

?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(not my video!)

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1266392230182498310?s=19

(The replies include a whole lot of stupid)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Remarkable one yesterday.

In Rathgar, Dublin. I'm sitting at the 4 way cross roads having come from Terenure. I passed a lady on a bike, a bit out in the middle of the road, seemed like she was enjoying the weather and maybe a bit away with the fairies.

Lights are red. I hear a bicycle bell ding twice as she piles straight through down towards Rathmines. I couldn't believe it. Cars coming thru green lights from left and right happened to miss her. By very little. She hollered something and shook a fist. And kept going. She is very lucky not to be dead.

I was tempted to go after her and ask her if she had a death wish, but thought better of it - very little chance of having a sensible outcome with someone that thought that was a good idea.

I presume you do the same if a car breaks a red light ?
    Go after them and ask do they have a death wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I presume you do the same if a car breaks a red light ?
    Go after them and ask do they have a death wish?

I spoke to a cyclist once when i caught up with him who went through a red light. He'd didn't appreciate it and started to chase me.

Luckily we were going uphill and was not able to keep up when I increased the pace.

If she was putting herself in such danger then yes.....she should be spoken to.

She's giving us law abiding cyclists a bad name which we are all being beaten with.

micar wrote: »
    I spoke to a cyclist once when i caught up with him who went through a red light. He'd didn't appreciate it and started to chase me.

Luckily we were going uphill and was not able to keep up when I increased the pace.

She's giving us law abiding cyclists a bad name which we are all being beaten with.

Would you go after a driver who broke a red light?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Semi-related - I was cycling home from work on a dark evening and there was a guy in front of me on his bike but he had the most blinding flashing rear red light I have ever seen. It was very distracting and to be honest I was finding it hard to focus properly.

So I cycled up beside him and politely said "just a heads up, your rear light is very bright and is blinding people". He looked at me blankly and said nothing. I thought he might not have understood so I said "it's a bit distracting, just thought I'd let you know" all with a smile on my face. He looked puzzled and had a furrowed brow. I don't think he appreciated being told that.

I probably came off as a bit of an ass, but I figured how else is he to know. He's never going to be looking at the light!

VonLuck wrote: »
    Semi-related - I was cycling home from work on a dark evening and there was a guy in front of me on his bike but he had the most blinding flashing rear red light I have ever seen. It was very distracting and to be honest I was finding it hard to focus properly.

So I cycled up beside him and politely said "just a heads up, your rear light is very bright and is blinding people". He looked at me blankly and said nothing. I thought he might not have understood so I said "it's a bit distracting, just thought I'd let you know" all with a smile on my face. He looked puzzled and had a furrowed brow. I don't think he appreciated being told that.

I probably came off as a bit of an ass, but I figured how else is he to know. He's never going to be looking at the light!

Drop back or overtake, what do you want him to do? Turn the light off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Nope. Just thought he'd acknowledge that I was speaking to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can understand a very bright front light if you want to be able to see with it.
    a rear light is for being seen, not for seeing. fair game to say to someone if their light is too bright; are you supposed to avert your eyes while attempting the overtake?
    it's like excusing someone driving towards oncoming traffic with full beams; sure they'll be past you in the next ten seconds, so what harm?

i can understand a very bright front light if you want to be able to see with it.
    a rear light is for being seen, not for seeing. fair game to say to someone if their light is too bright; are you supposed to avert your eyes while attempting the overtake?
    it's like excusing someone driving towards oncoming traffic with full beams; sure they'll be past you in the next ten seconds, so what harm?

What do you want them to do?

How bright should they be to be seen by a car travelling at the speed limit of 28 m/s, on a dark country road?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Umm, I want them to turn the brightness of their light down? If it causes issues for other cyclists, this is a problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How bright should they be to be seen by a car travelling at the speed limit of 28 m/s, on a dark country road?

Honestly, not as bright as some people think. Far too many lights are obnoxiously bright and have stupid and downright dangerous flash / pulse patterns

Btw, why are you writing speed limits in metres per second? This is not how speed limits are expressed.

And FWIW, quoting a speed limit of 100km/h is suggesting a road that very few cyclists commute on in the dark. And almost certainly not the one in the post which led to this exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Maybe readjust it or dim it at a later point.

I've been dazzled by some really bright lights along the canals, either because they're on full blast, or adjusted to aim straight forward rather than downwards. I've mentioned to a couple of people that their light is dazzling oncoming people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do the 98% of drivers that break urban speed limits give the law-abiding 2% a bad name?

I mentioned it to a guy once as he came round a corner, he said thanks, and he lowered it, had a nice chat about something else for a minute, no harm no foul. I'm pretty sure its been said to me in the past. I have said it to one other that sticks out and he just ignored me, agus sin e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Remember when so many of us commuted in and out of the office? Heady times, oh glorious days that I pine for!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Gaz wrote: »

Report this to trafficwatch. They can't ignore it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Why do cyclists advocate "using the lane" and take a position on the middle of the road?

I'm new to cycling. I told a coworker that I was squeezed a few times because I keep left and she told me to be assertive and take a position centre of the lane.

I might try this next time. How will this force car drivers to overtake with 150 cm though? They can still easily squeeze by.

I'd also be scared of getting rammed if some clown is glued to their phone and not paying attention.

The 1.5 metres was hammered into me by my driving instructor when I started driving 12 years ago so I've always done it even before those ad campaigns regardless of what position the cyclist was in. I was always told to imagine the cyclist was a full sized car, if you can't safely overtake by crossing the other side of the road, then don't overtake at all.

• Advertisement

Why do cyclists advocate "using the lane" and take a position on the middle of the road?
    Because it forces those who might squeeze by to at least move out far enough to do a half decent overtake. It also then leaves you with wiggle room to your left if something goes wrong. If you are in the middle of the lane, you have taken away that "I might just squeeze through" option that many drivers see but doesn't actually exist.
    I'm new to cycling. I told a coworker that I was squeezed a few times because I keep left and she told me to be assertive and take a position centre of the lane.
    Smart coworker
    I might try this next time. How will this force car drivers to overtake with 150 cm though? They can still easily squeeze by.
    And if they do, they do, but you now have space to go to your left if needs be.
    I'd also be scared of getting rammed if some clown is glued to their phone and not paying attention.
    If they are paying that little attention, likely they would hit you anyway.
    The 1.5 metres was hammered into me by my driving instructor when I started driving 12 years ago so I've always done it even before those ad campaigns regardless of what position the cyclist was in. I was always told to imagine the cyclist was a full sized car, if you can't safely overtake by crossing the other side of the road, then don't overtake at all.
    And that's pretty much it, Imagine there is a box around every cyclist equivalent n size to where they could land if they fell over, that's how much space a driver should give as that is the space that if your within it, you could run over them if they slipped/fell unexpectedly.

Advertisement