Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Someone had been a naughty boy regarding the Covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I saw a cyclist (young, 18-20) do a close pass on another cyclist (deliveroo cyclist) today. I was shocked at the speed the young cyclist was doing up the hill and how close he got to the deliveroo cyclist!

I got a couple of those on the Clontarf-Sutton cycle path yesterday. Was going pretty slowly with herself following behind me. Close pass from some guy bombing along overtaking us whilst a family passed by us on the other side.

Some people are just jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

why was the cyclist trying to avoid the checkpoint?

I've noticed a lot of cyclists turnaround when they spot a Garda checkpoint during lockdown.
    I'm sure lots of people flaunt the rules, cyclists just stick out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

MojoMaker wrote: »
    If that's as bad as it ever gets for you, you'll be fine.

That is pretty normal. It's the fcukers that don't make *any* attempt to move to the right you're going to come to hate.

Thing is however, if that is the road just before the railway station in Rush then he is going over a blind hill that leads to a hump bridge and over a single white line. He's still an idiot - and thats from a car driver that drives that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Thing is however, if that is the road just before the railway station in Rush then he is going over a blind hill that leads to a hump bridge and over a single white line. He's still an idiot - and thats from a car driver that drives that road.

Me or the car driver ??? :O :pac:

• Advertisement

Is that worth reporting?

Me or the car driver ??? :O :pac:

The driver.

Is that worth reporting?

Up to the cyclist, but I know that road well and the car driver would of had nowhere to go other than on top of the cyclist if a car came other way as he’d only see it last second with the blind hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Had someone beep at me for the first time today.

Just outside of my house after doing a quick loop, some women beeped at me.

She beeped, rolled down the window and got up beside me to shout 'move over', because I wasn't wedged up into the bushes.

Just to make it even better, she did this as she overtook me coming up to the crest of a blind hill, which lead down to a sharp corner.

So she was shouting at me for not letting her overtake me on a blind and dangerous hill.. her solution was to go on the wrong side of the road, roll down her window and shout at me..

I know that road very well, it is absolutely lethal, cars have clipped one another coming over that hill just by being too close to the centre of the road..
    I don't know what she was thinking..

So that's one less cyclist on the road and one more car driver clogging up the roads or bus user taking a scarce seat.

My partner, who's very passive and timid as it is was out cycling with me. She was practicing her 10 k into work and I was showing her how to take the lane and cycle defensively.

She built up her courage after a few cycles she took the outside position. A car driver flew by within inches blaring the horn and the passenger roaring obscenities out the window.
    It'll take some convincing to get her out again.

Thanks dickhead. No cam footage unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Cycling today a lady pulled into the cycle lane about 10m ahead of me so I had to bail into the back of her car (other options were into a wall or out onto the road).

Couldn't get one of my cleats free in time so went down harder than I would have liked :(

She drove off and I was too disorientated to get a reg. Thank you to the kind cyclist who stopped to make sure I was ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Was out with the kids today and didn't bring the camera, we're family of 6 cycling and I stick with the eldest 3 and my OH the youngest who's 5. Its cycle lanes and hard shoulder mostly but there's one stretch where its on road and particularly narrow so myself and the OH take the lane keeping the kids on the inside.
    I didn't notice but she'd fallen behind a few 100m and this ar$e can't wait the 60 secs it will take for her to clear it and pull into the hard shoulder and starts beeping scaring the life out of the youngest. Then squeezes past with the passenger hurling abuse at them I heard the beeping but had no idea what happened so didn't note the reg. Poor thing doesn't ever want to cycle again, it will pass but some people are such ar$eholes :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Check in with each other to see if those last 3 incidents could possibly be linked to the same car/area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Effects wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of cyclists turnaround when they spot a Garda checkpoint during lockdown.
    I'm sure lots of people flaunt the rules, cyclists just stick out more.

When the lockdown was heaviest, I was left alone when using the bike. I find cyclists are less noticeable, which honestly can be a problem on our once again crowded roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Sad reading the close passes today. I think a lot of the momentum gained will now be lost with the traffic back. Hope a bit of investment will help. If we cannot get kids and ladies and the nervous out we are failing!

When the lockdown was heaviest, I was left alone when using the bike. I find cyclists are less noticeable, which honestly can be a problem on our once again crowded roads.

But back when the rules were 2km radius, and brief exercise, you could clearly spot the people fully decked out, two water bottles, who were going farther than they should. They might have been left alone, but probably didn't want to take the chance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I didn't breach the 2km or 5km boundaries often putting in decent distances. With the hot weather back then, I'd often have two bottles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I didn't breach the 2km or 5km boundaries often putting in decent distances. With the hot weather back then, I'd often have two bottles.

I was commuting daily in my sexy sexy lycra, not everyone in lycra is off up the mountains for a long spin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Yep, same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Drumcondra is treated like a motorway to most drivers going through it, constant speeding and aggression through it. I say that as a pedestrian and cyclist in the area. It's criminal that there is no segregated cycling infrastructure (painted lanes on footpaths do not count) on one of the widest stretches of road in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Drumcondra is treated like a motorway to most drivers going through it, constant speeding and aggression through it. I say that as a pedestrian and cyclist in the area. It's criminal that there is no segregated cycling infrastructure (painted lanes on footpaths do not count) on one of the widest stretches of road in the city.

Painted lanes that yield at every side road. I think that's my least favourite cycle track in the city - it's brutal to use, but the road is so narrow that buses and taxis can't overtake you when traffic is bumper to bumper so you get a tonne of abuse if you use it.

If I remember correctly, that was the facility that convinced my brother that cycle tracks shouldn't be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

raheny red wrote: »

The most infuriating thing about videos like that is how utterly pointless the f**kology pulled by the driver is . Passing you so dangerously only to have to stop behind other cars 50 yards later and have you end up in front again anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Duckjob wrote: »
    The most infuriating thing about videos like that is how utterly pointless the f**kology pulled by the driver is . Passing you so dangerously only to have to stop behind other cars 50 yards later and have you end up in front again anyway..

Becasue there is a complete inability by some motorists to read the road ahead.

They only see what's straight in front and nothing further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

micar wrote: »
    Becasue there is a complete inability by some motorists to read the road ahead.

They only see what's straight in front and nothing further.

ya end of your bonnet is about as far ahead as most drivers look. I remember seeing a news clip about a pile up in heavy fog ion the Naas Rd a few years back. they interviewed some wet brain who said it was someones fault (AA road watch, Gubberment) fault for not issuing warnings. I would have thought not being able too see more than 6 feet in front of you was warning enough. But shows the sheer stupidity of some people behind the wheel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    ya end of your bonnet is about as far ahead as most drivers look. I remember seeing a news clip about a pile up in heavy fog ion the Naas Rd a few years back. they interviewed some wet brain who said it was someones fault (AA road watch, Gubberment) fault for not issuing warnings. I would have thought not being able too see more than 6 feet in front of you was warning enough. But shows the sheer stupidity of some people behind the wheel.

Its like those people who flash you for using fog lights in fog to warn you that your fog lights are on :rolleyes:

buffalo wrote: »
    Painted lanes that yield at every side road. I think that's my least favourite cycle track in the city - it's brutal to use.

Had a close-ish one there last night. Driving down Hollybank Road, to turn left at Drumcondra Rd. Heard the loud screech of brakes, so I braked and stopped the car.

A guy on the bike path had spotted me, but was obviously going too fast to yield.
    Bad brakes, no lights, tree canopy making it difficult for me to spot him.

He eventually came to a stop right in front of where I had stopped the car. He looked a little shook up, but we exchanged a wave and smiles.

Glad I had the window down and heard his brakes, or he probably would have gone into the side of me and injured himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Effects wrote: »
    Had a close-ish one there last night. Driving down Hollybank Road, to turn left at Drumcondra Rd. Heard the loud screech of brakes, so I braked and stopped the car.

A guy on the bike path had spotted me, but was obviously going too fast to yield.
    Bad brakes, no lights, tree canopy making it difficult for me to spot him.

He eventually came to a stop right in front of where I had stopped the car. He looked a little shook up, but we exchanged a wave and smiles.

Glad I had the window down and heard his brakes, or he probably would have gone into the side of me and injured himself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3668326,-6.2558146,3a,75y,96.19h,83.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF26iT8InIFRZ307cGktE2Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Out of interest, does the car have right of way up to the front of the junction? I've always found these slightly confusing. The STOP sign is before where the cycle lane would be but the stop line is after it. Does the cycle lane technically stop before the junction and start up again on the other side?

It's such dreadful design.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2944195,-6.2506823,3a,75y,194.98h,72.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgndq9068BadPDqGGRvBxBQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This one is near my house. This time there are two stop lines (about half of cars ignore the first one). This implies to me that the cycle lane has priority but yet again the markings look like the cycle lane stops and restarts after the junction. Who has priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

It's an awful design at that junction at Hollybank road, negligent road engineering. Could you sue DCC for it?

If I was approaching there and knew there was a downhill "cycle lane" (rather loose term in this location) crossing it, I would take it very slow. At the end of the day, the last thing you want is someone injured or killed regardless of who has right of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Out of interest, does the car have right of way up to the front of the junction? I've always found these slightly confusing. The STOP sign is before where the cycle lane would be but the stop line is after it. Does the cycle lane technically stop before the junction and start up again on the other side?

Any traffic from Hollybank Road does not have to yield until the solid white line, at which point they should stop. At which point they are presumably blocking the cycle lane.

It's hard to see the signs with trees, but it looks like the cycle lane doesn't stop - just yields.

This one is near my house. This time there are two stop lines (about half of cars ignore the first one). This implies to me that the cycle lane has priority but yet again the markings look like the cycle lane stops and restarts after the junction. Who has priority?

It's not a question of priority under Irish traffic law (IANAL), but rather who has to yield. In this case a driver must stop, but a cyclist must yield, so if the driver has stopped, the cyclist can progress. If the driver has stopped, and then starts again because there is no traffic, the cyclist must yield.

So another dreadful design.

Advertisement