Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Apologies for the twitter thread but here is an update on a punishment pass from January.

https://twitter.com/nolankucd/status/1273608691892105217?s=21

Basically the Gardaí can’t see anything wrong with the overtake so I went full CSI.

When the lockdown was heaviest, I was left alone when using the bike. I find cyclists are less noticeable, which honestly can be a problem on our once again crowded roads.

I was waived through three check points when we had the 5k limit. I was well within it though.

As they were also letting people on bleeper bikes through, despite there being no bleeper bike locations within 5k, it seems as though cyclists were pretty much exempt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I was waved through every single checkpoint I came across on a bike. I only know of one person who was stopped by the Guards and asked how far away they lived.

I don't think that has anything to do with how conspicuous or inconspicuous cyclists are, more that the Guards probably opted to treat them in the same was as they would walkers or runners, i.e. assume they're doing the right thing and staying within the distance limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

5uspect wrote: »
    Basically the Gardaí can’t see anything wrong with the overtake so I went full CSI.

Was it a local gardai at a station you visited, or did you go via Traffic Watch first?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hurrache wrote: »
    Was it a local gardai at a station you visited, or did you go via Traffic Watch first?

Went through Traffic Watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I was waved through every single checkpoint I came across on a bike. I only know of one person who was stopped by the Guards and asked how far away they lived.

I don't think that has anything to do with how conspicuous or inconspicuous cyclists are, more that the Guards probably opted to treat them in the same was as they would walkers or runners, i.e. assume they're doing the right thing and staying within the distance limit.

I got waved through all of them bar one. A big cheerful guard who looked like he came of Templemore yesterday stopped me and boomed, “EXERCISE, IS IT?” I told him I was going to work. “GOOD MAN!” he roars, beaming from ear to ear. Nice to see a lad who loves his job so much! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wore lycra and frequently had 2 bottles on during the 2 and 5k limits, and I never broke either. Good weather, multiple laps, I could be out in the baking sun for a while.

Came across a checkpoint every day, and wasn't stopped once. That said I'd pass them a few times on the one spin so it was obvious I lived near.

What was nice about the 2 and 5k loops was the lack of puncture/mechanical stress. I knew I could make it home if anything drastic happened mechanically. That's about the only positive I can pull from those interminable laps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one difference between being stopped in a car and stopped on a bike is that you've no legal requirement to carry proof of address on a bike. but you do in a car (in that your driving licence has an address on it).

probably not what the actual reason is, though; the checkpoints were more a PR exercise than an actual policing exercise i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

probably not what the actual reason is, though; the checkpoints were more a PR exercise than an actual policing exercise i suspect.

I passed through many checkpoints and at some I was probably a km or two beyond the radius. However, I got the distinct impression that the Gardaí were more in the spirit of the thing rather than enforcing it to the letter of the law. I was on the bike, on my own with no baggage or anything so it was assumed that I was out for exercise and returning to where I started. Only once was I asked where I was going to/from and as soon as I answered, I was waved on and the Garda remarked "Great day for it".

I did notice that cars with more than one occupant were questioned for longer than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

one difference between being stopped in a car and stopped on a bike is that you've no legal requirement to carry proof of address on a bike. but you do in a car (in that your driving licence has an address on it).

I think the reasoning was, if they could get most of the people to stay within the limit most of the time, that the exercise would work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jaysus I must look dodgy, I was stopped repeatedly on the N11, Shankill, Bray. It became less as time went on and I had my work ID held out for them.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Jaysus I must look dodgy,

Not only that :D but the N11 is a popular road for Dubs heading to mobiles in Wexford.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Jaysus I must look dodgy, I was stopped repeatedly on the N11, Shankill, Bray. It became less as time went on and I had my work ID held out for them.

I did laps by the N11 checkpoint every day they were there on my laps. Never once stopped!

You must have a very dodgy look to ya Cram :P

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

eeeee wrote: »
    What was nice about the 2 and 5k loops was the lack of puncture/mechanical stress. I knew I could make it home if anything drastic happened mechanically. That's about the only positive I can pull from those interminable laps!

Also, I have kept using a couple of my 5km loops on days where the weather looks dodgy. Worst case scenario I'm always within 10 minutes of home

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I dont know how many checkpoints I went through , I do remember one day on my 2km loop, there were 7 checkpoints, I was stopped at one as the Garda was blocking my way whilst talking to a driver.
    When he noticed my presence after 30/40 seconds, he stepped out of my way, let me pass without a word, then continued with the driver.
    I was probably only stopped about 6/7 times (on the bike) and found most to be very pleasant, 1 Garda had a great conversation about my bike - cost, weight, disc brakes, etc. She then decided to count my laps the next 2 times I passed her.

My partner had her windscreen sticker they gave her in work to say she was an essential healthcare worker laminated and hung over the stem of her bike on a spare lanyard :D

EDIT: I should be saying wife by now but lock down saw to that. We were due to get married today :(

EDIT: I should be saying wife by now but lock down saw to that. We were due to get married today :(
    Really sorry to hear that your big day has had to wait. Hopefully it’ll go ahead real soon.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that your big day has had to wait. Hopefully it’ll go ahead real soon.

Ah it's no big deal at this stage 12 years into the relationship, it'll be way more fun now with herself and 2 mini princesses that arrived in the intervening years than if we'd got married 10 year ago. I actually wanted the day in the suit more so I think :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Some poor unfortunate soul laid out at the pub in Booterstown, please God it’s nothing serious.

On another note a few days back, some young girl all togged out doing speeds of 40-50 on the same stretch of road. Broke every light. Serious lack of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Weepsie wrote: »
    New Thread, same rules as old thread.

A near miss is something that nearly misses you surely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Some poor unfortunate soul laid out at the pub in Booterstown, please God it’s nothing serious.
    that's a bad junction, one of the most dangerous ones i had on my commute.

Ah it's no big deal at this stage 12 years into the relationship, it'll be way more fun now with herself and 2 mini princesses that arrived in the intervening years than if we'd got married 10 year ago. I actually wanted the day in the suit more so I think :cool:

Ah OK. Just another near miss so....... :D

Ha yes , glad that wasn't lost on yee here in this thread :pac:

Sorry to hear about your postponed suit day Enfilade. On the upside I can't wait for the stories of the actual nuptials, the Enfilade clan stories are such a joy!
    And like cattle being let out if a shed after winter, post lockdown parties are gonna be awesome :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Not a bike cam, hope that's ok.

Arsehole in the oncoming car tried to overtake on a blind bend with a continuous white line, when he saw me on my side of the road, back in he goes to squeeze past the cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a hatefully close pass today near the 5 lamps.

I had time to exit my junction and get into the his lane as the approaching cars were a decent distance back.

Car behind pass close enough I could touch it.

However, I decided to give the back a smack. This is not the brightest idea, but especially not when it's an unmarked Garda car being controlled by 2 bullies who keep saying cycle lane and kept basically making up stuff in the RTA.

I acknowledged I shouldn't have slapped the car but I didn't let them off with the dangerous pass. If I can touch a car with out having to extend my arm, you're definitely to close. Seething I didn't have my cameras today.

Bad enough having regular drivers doing it, but gardai I'd expect better from.

Write to Owen Keegan if you've a problem was one of his responses. Complete tosser

Their very sudden stop after too nearly saw me be doored by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Weepsie wrote: »
    I had a hatefully close pass today near the 5 lamps.

I had time to exit my junction and get into the his lane as the approaching cars were a decent distance back.

Car behind pass close enough I could touch it.

However, I decided to give the back a smack. This is not the brightest idea, but especially not when it's an unmarked Garda car being controlled by 2 bullies who keep saying cycle lane and kept basically making up stuff in the RTA.

I acknowledged I shouldn't have slapped the car but I didn't let them off with the dangerous pass. If I can touch a car with out having to extend my arm, you're definitely to close. Seething I didn't have my cameras today.

Bad enough having regular drivers doing it, but gardai I'd expect better from.

Write to Owen Keegan if you've a problem was one of his responses. Complete tosser

Their very sudden stop after too nearly saw me be doored by them.

I had the same with Gardai on the Quays recently where there was no cycle lane. A marked car though. ACAB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did you get numbers, I'd be reporting them to their super.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I didn't. I'd lose my composure a little bit, not so much at the pass but then having to brake hard for the way they stopped.

I understand they are very busy, but they were just being bullies.

I've had that twice with unmarked cars.

It's also not the week for quarreling with a Garda

• Advertisement

Were they uniformed or plainclothes?

Advertisement