Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Were they uniformed or plainclothes?

Plain clothes. They even threw in the "we both cycle" line

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus what a mess the roads are today compared to lockdown. Worse than commuter rush hour traffic from Cornellscourt out to Bray on a Saturday, Bray completely clogged and not moving, cars everywhere, seafront one giant carpark. All cycle lanes blocked for no reason just cars keeping too far into the left like they never had a driving lesson. Is that peoples idea of a fun Saturday out on a sunny day? Sit in traffic for an hour or two to move 10k on the N11?

I hate the way everyone coming out of a sideroad uses the right hand line of the cycle lane as the stop line so you have to brake, look behind you, pull out into traffic and go around them, or else they stay inching forward so you have to stop because you dont know if they're about to floor it for a gap because they didnt see you. This happened to me about 5 times today in 20k. Shook my head at one slob who did it and she called me a fagg0t.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thargor wrote: »
    I hate the way everyone coming out of a sideroad uses the right hand line of the cycle lane as the stop line so you have to brake, look behind you, pull out into traffic and go around them, or else they stay inching forward so you have to stop because you dont know if they're about to floor it for a gap because they didnt see you. This happened to me about 5 times today in 20k. Shook my head at one slob who did it and she called me a fagg0t.

You could try just stopping in front of them for a minute or two, making sure there are no cyclists on your tail.

It's a good way to help them understand the frustration of someone needlessly blocking your path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I had a couple today.
    I'll post videos if I can upload them. My connection and upload speed is atrocious here.

One fella at Blake's Cross slowed down, came up close to my handlebar and looked at me in the eye (whilst driving) saying how I look like a spa out cycling all the time.

Another man in Swords overtook me dangerously, I caught up with him and pointed to my camera. He demanded to know my name. He said GDPR means I have to give him my name because I have his private registration. He said he'll go to Swords Garda station to get CCTV from the council office to identify me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I had a couple today.
    I'll post videos if I can upload them. My connection and upload speed is atrocious here.

One fella at Blake's Cross slowed down, came up close to my handlebar and looked at me in the eye (whilst driving) saying how I look like a spa out cycling all the time.

Another man in Swords overtook me dangerously, I caught up with him and pointed to my camera. He demanded to know my name. He said GDPR means I have to give him my name because I have his private registration. He said he'll go to Swords Garda station to get CCTV from the council office to identify me.
    People are strange.

You should have persuaded yer man to go to the Station immediately, so you could see the reaction of the Gardai on the spot - would have been hilarious.

I remember one guy who insisted on phoning the Gardai in front of me because I had recorded him attempting to go the wrong way on a one-way street.

It was something like this:

Him: I'm here at xxxxx and this terrible cyclist has taken my picture. Surely that's illegal.
    Pause for Garda response.

Him (in dejected tone): "Oh really"
    Me: Badum-tish

For the encore you should have told him he might have have better luck with the DPC and watched him phone them :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Plain clothes. They even threw in the "we both cycle" line
    must have been even more of an adrenaline kick when they slammed on the brakes and got out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I had the same with Gardai on the Quays recently where there was no cycle lane. A marked car though. ACAB.

Despicable thing to say

huh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i believe it's short for 'all cops are bastards'.

#notallcops

short cops only?

short cops only?

Some serving and retired members of AGS post here so maybe they can tell us if it's a requirement when signing up that you have to be born out of wedlock :pac:

Are we talking Jon/Gendry or Ramsay/Joffrey on the bastard scale though?

No video. Apologies if screen shots are not permitted.
    My upload speed is atrocious because I am hotsotting my phone.

This man beeped me and tailgated.

He then punishment passed me and the woman in the passenger seat recored me and made a finger gesture. Worth reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

He then punishment passed me and the woman in the passenger seat recored me and made a finger gesture. Worth reporting?

Yep. Guards might be interested in the passengers phone footage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

The Skoda coming the opposite way over to the left skimming the yellow lines as the overtaking car had crossed the continuous white line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Definitely report. Terrible behaviour.

What's the process of reporting?

I'll put my hands up and say I threw the middle finger up after the first beep. That may go against me as it could be on tape.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doesn't matter, that doesn't excuse an dangerous overtake, on a continuous white line, with oncoming traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I'll put my hands up and say I threw the middle finger up after the first beep. That may go against me as it could be on tape.

Sadly you may be correct, Ireland is great ..civility expected from you in the face of intimidation by a deadly weapon. It shouldn't be anything other than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Like yourself, after reporting, the investigation was turned on me as I shouted a profanity at the driver who passed me within cm of my handlebars.
    Surely an expected reaction?!

Anyway, the investigating Garda told me I could be charged along with the driver for some ridiculous public order offence for swearing... So I dropped it.

Law enforcement here is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Had one in Kilcock on Saturday.

Coming into the village from Maynooth road, a guy exited the Lidl car park as I passed. I yelled, naturally, and the car's nose was maybe 6 inches from my right foot when he stopped.

He followed me - well straightened his car in the road, traffic was stopped ahead - and started roaring out his passenger window "what are you shouting about", and how he was nowhere near me, but was interrupted by a second cyclist passing on his outside telling him off for nearly taking them off the bike when he started moving again to catch up with me.

He started yelling at me again and I said "I have nothing to say to you. I don't want to talk to you. Drive on." and let him go ahead of me.

As far as the line of cars 3 meters away. I pushed up beside him and said "You got very far" and headed up to the lights.

I'm going to have to move my camera over to the new bike, but I honestly thought I'd have more use for them on the commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had a red audi TT driver not yield to me on a roundabout, I yelled, and he slowed down and let me pass :) cycled into the cycle/bus lane and he passed me out. Literally seconds if he had just waited.

Like yourself, after reporting, the investigation was turned on me as I shouted a profanity at the driver who passed me within cm of my handlebars.
    Surely an expected reaction?!

Anyway, the investigating Garda told me I could be charged along with the driver for some ridiculous public order offence for swearing... So I dropped it.

Law enforcement here is a joke.

This is one you can't blame the Guards on, I'm afraid. We all do it, I do it myself, but as soon as you utter a profanity the other party has a legitimate public order complaint against you. Same thing happened to me once but I still proceeded and stood over my reaction. In the end my complaint proceeded without any counter-complaint anyway.

There was a poster here a while ago going on endlessly about the same thing happening to him. The reality is though, would you prefer not be told and then to later get a summons out of the blue for a public order offence? Or be warned that it was a distinct possibility in advance and be in a position to make your own call as to how to proceed?

It's far from ideal but that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is one you can't blame the Guards on, I'm afraid. We all do it, I do it myself, but as soon as you utter a profanity the other party has a legitimate public order complaint against you. Same thing happened to me once but I still proceeded and stood over my reaction. In the end my complaint proceeded without any counter-complaint anyway.

I may be mistaken here, but surely a public order offence is a charge brought by the Gardaí and the DPP, rather than the other party? So is it not rather likely here that the Garda taking the complaint is trying to dissuade the complainant from proceeding to save some work for an offence the Garda may not believe to be significant?

And - as shown by your case - if the complainant proceeds, the Garda doesn't bother with the public order offence because it's only an idle threat that hasn't succeeded?

buffalo wrote: »
    I may be mistaken here, but surely a public order offence is a charge brought by the Gardaí and the DPP, rather than the other party? So is it not rather likely here that the Garda taking the complaint is trying to dissuade the complainant from proceeding to save some work for an offence the Garda may not believe to be significant?

And - as shown by your case - if the complainant proceeds, the Garda doesn't bother with the public order offence because it's only an idle threat that hasn't succeeded?

Not necessarily. I made a complaint against a driver and submitted video footage. The Guard viewed it and rang me to note that I had used profanities and just to beware that, when he went to speak to the driver, he could state that he refuted my allegation and furthermore that I swore at him and he was deeply offended.

He was marking my card and I thought that was fair enough. I stated that I still wished to proceed and that I would stand over my language and why I had used it. As it turned out the driver didn't make a complaint, was fined and received points. Had he made a counter-complaint I'd have still proceeded so I guess it depends on what level of conviction you have when you make the complaint really.

Personally I'd prefer be warned of the potential pitfalls in advance rather than blame the Guard for not having told me beforehand when I subsequently receive a summons.

Could you imagine going to court on that charge? How do you plead in the case of the state vs you on the charge of swearing at someone who was endangering your life?

You'd want to have a pretty ****ty solicitor to take a conviction on that one :D

• Advertisement

I'm considering ringing traffic watch this evening. I just have a few concerns:
    • I gave my middle finger when I was beeped. This might go against me.
    • I was swerving a bit because of a gust and I was going uphill and I'm an inexperienced cyclist. Someone on the motors forum said there was a recent precident that allows cyclists with driving licences to get points for transgressions on bikes. If they embellish their story, I could end up with points. There was a cyclist who broke a red light and went up on a windscreen and the judge revoked his driving licence.

Does it take long to get through to traffic watch?

Will they ask for a memory stick?

Will it be returned?

Advertisement