Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Could you imagine going to court on that charge? How do you plead in the case of the state vs you on the charge of swearing at someone who was endangering your life?

You'd want to have a pretty ****ty solicitor to take a conviction on that one :D

Judge: "Did you indeed call the Plaintiff a stupid c#!t?"

Defendant: "I did indeed, Your Honour - but, to be fair, all evidence I had at the time pointed to the fact that he is indeed a stupid c#!t"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some Gardai have told reporters that its dropped due to cursing. The finger might be like that. Others, myself included, have had it not be an issue.

Time - depends a lot on the gard and their shift. If theyre on nights itll be a few weeks before they look at it

Files - depends on the gard. Some take dropbox/drive, some want a DVD

Dunno

IMHO if its not a really cut and dry case I don't bother reporting because Gardai often look for any excuse not to issue an FCPN as they really dont want to deal with a court date if the other side rejects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was swerving a bit because of a gust and I was going uphill and I'm an inexperienced cyclist. Someone on the motors forum said there was a recent precident that allows cyclists with driving licences to get points for transgressions on bikes. If they embellish their story, I could end up with points. There was a cyclist who broke a red light and went up on a windscreen and the judge revoked his driving licence.

Well this is just total bull****. Firstly, you can't get points for cycling offences. Secondly, is there more than a single case in the history of a state of a cyclist being punished with a driving ban? The same guy was also convicted of ramming a Garda car in a stolen jeep, so you don't have much to worry about unless you're that sort of character.

On the gusts/uphill/inexperience - this is exactly why a minimum distance is recommended for passing cyclists, and why you should seek to have it enforced.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ED E wrote: »
    Files - depends on the gard. Some take dropbox/drive, some want a DVD
    My recent case of a door opening passenger was accepted happily by the garda in Leixlip via streamable.com. I emailed him the url.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

Driving up to Cruagh last Sunday morning for a hike.
    It was busy with cyclists (as you'd expect).
    Driver behind me (Taxi livery) was losing his mind with being slightly delayed.

Next thing he attempts this https://streamable.com/nqv9ug

Almost crashes into a car and trying to avoid the collision almost wipes out 3/4 elderly cyclists!

Ridiculous disregard for the safety of others!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ "professional driver" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Bot1 wrote: »

Almost crashes into a car and trying to avoid the collision almost wipes out 3/4 elderly cyclists!

Jesus tonight, that's one of the worst I've seen on here. Did you report, that guys needs a driving ban

Jesus tonight, that's one of the worst I've seen on here. Did you report, that guys needs a driving ban

Not yet.
    How would I go about doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

If the Guards are not prepared to prosecute based on that video then we may as well give up and close this thread and dump all our dashcams and GoPro's etc.. that is absolutely criminal and he should be done for reckless driving. It just demonstrates that lockdown has done nothing to make idiots like this calm down and just relax on the road. His number plate is clearly visible.. he is breaking about 3 or 4 laws in that one move.

Looking again... he didn't even brake when other car arrived and likely kept on going past the cyclists. Absolutely crazy driving.

OP.. you could setup a YouTube channel and I think you would probably have a nice new bike bought for yourself with the ad revenue alone from that video!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

What a small world, I used to live up that way and know who exactly that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not yet.

Go to your nearest Garda Station with your phone and show em the video. It's a high res vid so the reg is clearly legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wow, that's the worse bit of downright dangerous driving I've seen in a while.
    Not yet.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Go to your nearest Garda Station with your phone and show em the video. It's a high res vid so the reg is clearly legible.

Might be worth going via traffic watch. I imagine each station has a garda assigned to looking after this stuff that comes through traffic watch, you could be taking your chances with whoever you deal with at the public desk at the station. I guess it'll be either Tallaght or Rathfarnham station dealing with that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Nearly forced the oncoming car into the ditch as well.

The day the state puts it foot down and starts making an example out of these p**sartists is the day the roads start to get safer for people not in cars.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Wow, that's the worse bit of downright dangerous driving I've seen in a while.

Might be worth going via traffic watch. I imagine each station has a garda assigned to looking after this stuff that comes through traffic watch, you could be taking your chances with whoever you deal with at the public desk at the station. I guess it'll be either Tallaght or Rathfarnham station dealing with that area?

Incident reported to Traffic Watch!

They'll contact the local Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Driving ban, and also needs his/her PSV licence revoked indefinitely.

Behaviour from some taxis out there is unbelievable. And the Gardai are the ones granting them PSV licences!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod Note: Troll banned, posts deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Post deleted after moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

<snip> reference to troll deleted

Off to Traffic Watch alright, that's about the worst we've seen on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Build up to it slowly HJB? Take the rest of the summer to get used to quieter traffic volumes in the evenings and weekend mornings first? Confidence will come and usually by way of building up road miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Not so much a near miss as a common assault in Camden this morning: https://www.twitter.com/Jhtse/status/1275169086608232448

I'm impressed by how many Met officers have responded looking to help. It's certainly a contrast to Gardaí telling people to take down videos because of GDPR.

(I'm looking to embed the Tweet - am I doing to wrong?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Am I just unlucky or does anyone else find most drivers give too little passing distance? (IE, less than 150 cm)
    Is everyone else just more thick skinned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Am I just unlucky or does anyone else find most drivers give too little passing distance? (IE, less than 150 cm)

More thick skinned, I am just happy enough when I can't touch them, as they pass by. That is learned though and not acceptable. This said I have driven this week and the behaviour by some seems to be not specifically against cyclists. I have cars drifting across lanes on the M50 and N11, switching lanes as you are in the lane beside them. Red light running, well as a co worer said to me as i left, be careful driving today, red lights apparently mean nothing anymore. They were right. If car drivers don't notice other car drivers running lights, there is something wrong with their observation skills.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Unfortunately you just get used to it. I’d be happy if I got a meter of space from most drivers, 1.5m is a luxury. Some courteous drivers will fully cross the white line, many will, as in your video, completely misjudge or lazily cut out across your back wheel.

You’re clearly pretty nervous and wobbly on the bike. This makes it all the more traumatic when it happens. Perhaps find a route that has more cycle lanes or less traffic until you find more confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Usual pinch at a small roundabout,
    Thought I was in luck , when I saw the 3rd Vehicle, but it was not to be.

Ignore the VIRB - I just use it for editing - easier than the apple video editing, and the date.

Arsehole.
    That's why I head out and take the whole lane at those roundabouts.

They didn't even stop pulling in on top of you once you shouted at them! That's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Chiparus wrote: »

Ignore the VIRB - I just use it for editing - easier than the apple video editing, and the date.

Brutal lack of observation from the driver there.

If I was in the same position as yourself, I'd have moved out in advance of the cross hatching to take the lane. The driver is probably only looking to their right to see if they have to yield, and when you're on their right it's easy (but wrong) for them to ignore you. Not so much if you're in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That's going to be on my morning commute soon - been doing laps of the park and already had a few similar scenarios there and at the other roundabouts. Definitely be taking the lane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

buffalo wrote: »
    Brutal lack of observation from the driver there.

If I was in the same position as yourself, I'd have moved out in advance of the cross hatching to take the lane. The driver is probably only looking to their right to see if they have to yield, and when you're on their right it's easy (but wrong) for them to ignore you. Not so much if you're in front of them.

And the guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I wouldn't entirely blame the driver for that. The road markings clearly indicate solid white stripes so there should not be any vehicles (or bikes) crossing them. It's a failure in the temporary design. If it was me I would go into the car lane before the white stripes for my own safety.

• Advertisement

And the guard?

I'd say they didn't even see it - they seem to have come up at speed, so looks like they were some distance behind you when it happened?
    Although in fairness they should. When I saw the guards my first thought was that they'd stop the Qashqai but they just steamed on by. I rescind my earlier judgement!

Advertisement