Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

I actually didn't think she would go for it, plus as it became clearer I was braking hard but with the rain, I wasn't stopping

Sorry I was looking at that on a mobile earlier, seeing it on a monitor now forget what I said about self-preservation I had no appreciation of your speed there, you were going down the inside or over the bonnet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Not getting on a high horse but I am surprised anyone would give the truck a pass he should have the law thrown at him. If you are in charge of a truck you are the largest and most dangerous road user. The onus should be 100% on you to keep others safe but unfortunately in Ireland we avoisd this and you can see it even running through the DNA of this "hardcore cyclist forum". It doesn't matter what the cyclist did, it doesn't matter if it was not ideal, what is important is that the truck driver should be held to account for what he did and banned. He was driving aggressively and carried out a dangerous and close pass well within 1 meter, that blaring of the horn combined with the close pass could easily have killed an inexperienced cyclist that misjudged the overtake of another bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

work wrote: »
    Not getting on a high horse but I am surprised anyone would give the truck a pass he should have the law thrown at him. If you are in charge of a truck you are the largest and most dangerous road user. The onus should be 100% on you to keep others safe but unfortunately in Ireland we avoisd this and you can see it even running through the DNA of this "hardcore cyclist forum". It doesn't matter what the cyclist did, it doesn't matter if it was not ideal, what is important is that the truck driver should be held to account for what he did and banned. He was driving aggressively and carried out a dangerous and close pass well within 1 meter, that blaring of the horn combined with the close pass could easily have killed an inexperienced cyclist that misjudged the overtake of another bike.

Safety is the onus of all of us - whether or not you subscribe to the concept of a "hardcore cyclist". By pointing out the cyclist could have done better wouldn't detract from any infraction from the HGV driver.

The HGV driver should have slowed down, and certainly not had a go on the horn (but that's the Irish way these days..). Slowed down because he just seen someone pull out into his path and an obviously dodgy bit of road.

I don't believe they performed a punishment pass, and basically continued on his/her intended course (but at the regular speed unfortunately).

https://streamable.com/xnuypr (I do say a few NSFW words so maybe put it on mute if you're sensitive)

Sh!t that's a close call alright - went over the handlebars once with that carry on (before cameras!). Definitely a report there - need to have a word with that driver!

Also - probably didn't see you because of the massive air/freshner/ WTF thing hanging from the rear view mirror - how can anyone see round that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

She saw you for sure because of the hesitation shown in turning in. She's 100% in the wrong there but my self-preservation instinct would not have allowed me to proceed there.

I think she hesitated to allow the pedestrian clear the entrance. Don’t think the op ever registered with her

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »
    I think she hesitated to allow the pedestrian clear the entrance. Don’t think the op ever registered with her

Nice catch. Think you're on the money there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

kenmm wrote: »
    Also - probably didn't see you because of the massive air/freshner/ WTF thing hanging from the rear view mirror - how can anyone see round that!

Missed that, its basically another pillar creating a blind spot, 100% illegal and a fail on your driving test when I done mine IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

would never have assumed the driver has seen me or will let me pass until i either get eye contact with the driver (difficult here) or see that the car stopped long enough so that it's waiting for me to pass. I would have braked earlier. Safety before being right. The cyclist is always the loser when it gets to damage time. Road conditions are horrible. look at all the water draining too slow into the metal drains. Those drains stick out way too much anyway. Anyway glad nobody got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

kenmm wrote: »
    I don't believe they performed a punishment pass, and basically continued on his/her intended course (but at the regular speed unfortunately).

How is that not a punishment pass? Sounds the horn so clearly sees the cyclist ahead, but continues on their intended course - i.e. doesn't move out to perform a safe overtake - as punishment for the cyclist's presence. That's textbook punishment pass to me.

ye fair enough - I meant it in terms of actively moving toward the cyclist - such as many examples we see here.

As I say - I don't think either of them done well in this situation. HGV should have at least slowed in anticipation of something going wrong. Cyclist shouldn't have attempted an overtake that would put them in danger. Both should have shown better skills when approaching the pinch point (Which they may or may not have been able to see.. as it looks a really sh!te bit of road).

EDIT - looking at it on google maps - it really is a crappy bit of road - how is anyone supposed to navigate that safely on a bike..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aftermath of a near miss for an experienced cyclist - no blood or gore involved, but upsetting all the same

https://twitter.com/Bernieadufe/status/1280841846873300992?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Missed that, its basically another pillar creating a blind spot, 100% illegal and a fail on your driving test when I done mine IIRC.

It was the bloody cyclist in the way that prevented the driver from seeing the pedestrian. They get bloody everywhere, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

work wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what the cyclist did, it doesn't matter if it was not ideal, what is important is that the truck driver should be held to account for what he did and banned.

Sorry, but how does it not matter what the cyclist did? Sure the truck driver was in the wrong, but does that automatically give the cyclist a free pass?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VonLuck wrote: »
    Sorry, but how does it not matter what the cyclist did? Sure the truck driver was in the wrong, but does that automatically give the cyclist a free pass?
    The truck driver should not have been so close for the very reason that a cyclist may need to pull out suddenly. The 1.5m space was used in RSA ads at least 7 years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9d-c-M7D0). The trucker failed to give this space thus endangering the two vulnerable people on bikes.
    The cyclist (as we saw) had sufficient time to complete the overtake. However, the trucker should have "expected the unexpected", slowed down, pulled to their right and given the people on bikes a safe overtake.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What do people think about this one. I was out early Saturday morning, this is a national road with very little traffic on it Sat morning between Castlebar and Belmullet. At the time I remember muttering something after him and only today I remembered it.
    I've become a bit insulated and used to close passes at this stage.

https://streamable.com/e6h25v

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Chap in mild performance car roars past vulnerable road user.

Nothing to see here.

buffalo wrote: »
    How is that not a punishment pass? Sounds the horn so clearly sees the cyclist ahead, but continues on their intended course - i.e. doesn't move out to perform a safe overtake - as punishment for the cyclist's presence. That's textbook punishment pass to me.

Its also the speed, no mitigation for the cyclist whatsoever. He could have easily taken his foot off the gas when he seen the cyclist overtaking (which was started when the truck was very far back), and completed just before the truck got there. That is good driving, that is risk mitigation. Also seeing two cyclists, hang out a bit anyway, it's a dual carriageway and easily done considering the traffic levels at the time. Also, despite the road closing a bit, you can see really clearly that he merges in a bit, not turns, but merges. It was the definition of a punishment pass. It actually looks like he speeds up to make the pass and slow a bit as he merges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Spotted this on Twitter..

https://twitter.com/Cowa19942/status/1280840962072293377?s=19

---

And the response from the Landscaping company makes it even worse. Immediately blaming the cyclist..

https://twitter.com/harharhabbo/status/1280864975163133952?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭bmc58

yop wrote: »
    What do people think about this one. I was out early Saturday morning, this is a national road with very little traffic on it Sat morning between Castlebar and Belmullet. At the time I remember muttering something after him and only today I remembered it.
    I've become a bit insulated and used to close passes at this stage.

https://streamable.com/e6h25v

Didn't see a lot there.Both cars went over the white line and if you were on the inside you had plenty of room.

Jaysus, the response, does the driver not realise it is on video?

• Advertisement

Spotted this on Twitter..

https://twitter.com/Cowa19942/status/1280840962072293377?s=19

---

And the response from the Landscaping company makes it even worse. Immediately blaming the cyclist..

"I would ask you or your friend to remove this from your social media circle immediately"

He took someones word over a video of the incident? Clown.

I would have replied back that if he wanted it taken down he should call the Gardaí :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would have replied back that if he wanted it taken down he should call the Gardaí :pac:
    I bet that they'd insist on it to being removed as it would violate GDPR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The cyclist (as we saw) had sufficient time to complete the overtake.

Only part of your post that was relevant to my question! I would not see that as sufficient time. If that was me driving along and saw that cyclist overtake like that, I would have to put on my brakes as the truck driver should have done. If you're causing vehicles to brake you shouldn't be overtaking.

Yes, all drivers should allow sufficient space in the event that a cyclist has to swerve, but this was an unnecessary movement and he should have waited a few more seconds to overtake for his own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭mvt

First time in over 25 years cycling on the old airport road after someone knocked me down. Within the space of ten minutes, I had a van driver close pass me at traffic lights (MGIF @ jcn with Collins Ave) only to stop at the next set of lights on the exit towards Santry. He then threatened to knock me down next time because "youse cyclists think you're God when you put all that gear on". :rolleyes:
    Then I met this dozy cow who seemed completely oblivious to what I was talking about when I approached her about this left hook (bear in mind that I had a luminous green bag on my back, two bright flashing rear lights (and a front flashing light) and a feckin bright orange bike - not sure how I can become more obvious to a driver)...
    https://streamable.com/xnuypr (I do say a few NSFW words so maybe put it on mute if you're sensitive)

Ha! Am back on that route for my commute tomorrow.
    While watching them build that apple green knew it would turn into a problem, had a few instances just like yours.
    On a slightly more positive note there is a very nice spacious cafe in the petrol station that opens early till late, a good spot to wait out bad weather...or steady your nerves after a close call:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

"Cyclist didn't seem to be in full control"

So does that mean you drive even closer to them?

I often overtake cyclists that aren't in full control, and make sure to give them a wider berth than ones that are in control.

One or two of the comments make good points about what would happen to that guys insurance had the cyclist been injured or worse. I wonder if that was put to him would it soften his cough and have some strong words with the people he has driving vans with his name on them.

One or two of the comments make good points about what would happen to that guys insurance had the cyclist been injured or worse. I wonder if that was put to him would it soften his cough and have some strong words with the people he has driving vans with his name on them.

It wouldn't. There is a video, and he still doesn't see it. If thats his response, I imagine he would double down. Which is a shame after a positive initial response. Poor management and backbone at the wrong time, he'd not care and sadly, would probably be right not too waste time in regards insurance and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Some ****er with a horsebox decided between these two islands was the ideal spot to overtake. I thought the jeep going for the gap was bad enough until I realised there was a wall of horsebox within arms reach beside me. My roar made the horse's ears twitch.
    Hey Robert,
    Will you be on liveline today?
    Joe mentioned cycling and a close pass with a horsebox.
    Don't forget to say hi to the boards family!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably the woman who was close passed in wicklow yesterday, in this video i think she mentioned a horsebox:

https://twitter.com/Bernieadufe/status/1280841846873300992?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Deadline (nearly aptly named) delivery driver didn't notice that I was in the left lane before they decided to change lane to turn onto Whitworth road

Spotted him in his phone after too.

Advertisement