Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't drive very often, but I've had to do a fair bit of over the last 10 days. Near miss today as I'm proceeding up a right-turn lane only for a driver to pull out from gridlock in the normal lane to do a u-turn. I slammed on the brakes as he proceeded without even noticing until I beeped the horn, which was met with a 'pffft' wave, rather than any kind of shock or embarrassment.

Never again will I let a mention of hi-viz pass without this convincing piece of anecdotal evidence, that it doesn't matter one iota how big or bright you are - people won't see you if they don't look.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Took a spin down towards Naas and on my home came across this driver (who was way more important that anyone else) on my way into Sallins (watch the oncoming VW Golf slow down and I think) move left to let the impatient driver past)...
    https://streamable.com/i1iia0

...and this driver just a bit N of the Blue Door...
    https://streamable.com/foxp74

Both on solid white lines :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Your microphone is of exceptional quality Seth

lol we need a highlight reel of Seth swears at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Took a spin down towards Naas and on my home came across this driver (who was way more important that anyone else) on my way into Sallins (watch the oncoming VW Golf slow down and I think) move left to let the impatient driver past)...
    https://streamable.com/i1iia0

...and this driver just a bit N of the Blue Door...
    https://streamable.com/foxp74

Both on solid white lines :rolleyes:

Genuine question - what's the point in having cycle lanes if vehicles can't drive beside them in their own lane with a 1.5m clearance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

VonLuck wrote: »
    Genuine question - what's the point in having cycle lanes if vehicles can't drive beside them in their own lane with a 1.5m clearance?

Cynical viewpoint is that is a bit if a box checking excercise. You get all sorts of EU Cash for putting in this sort of infrastructure, no matter how half arsed it is (ie a crappy line down a road not wide enough).

Slightly less cynical - it might just alert some people to their being cyclists on the road? idk?

In reality tho it enforces the viewpoint of separation (cyclists are not pay off traffic) but not actually separating them and thus making things less safe.

It also gives the illusion of more space available,* encouraging drivers to attempt all sorts of woefully dangerous manoeuvres.

(*Drivers like this one should cop on and be aware of the general dimensions of their vehicles and use their eyes to look at the actual space available and not assume...).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a great one of british drivers swearing, caught on dashcam.

audio NSFW, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

https://streamable.com/ciatgy :pac:

OK I'm embarrased now :o
    It's a bad habit - too much time in my youth spent reading the likes of the Barrytown trilogy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they do say that swearing is linked with higher intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's something about "I don't give a **** about your indicator" that makes me laugh every time I think about it :D

There's something about "I don't give a **** about your indicator" that makes me laugh every time I think about it :D
    In that particular case, his defence for close passing me (in a 24/7 buslane :rolleyes:) was that he had his indicator on. I was none too plussed to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hilarious, but also shows how stressful cycling can be when all those close calls are the experience of a single cyclist. It could genuinely be a good RSA ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I went to the Garda station yesterday after reporting a close pass on 23rd June.
    I was called in.

I made a written statement and said I'm happy to take no further action. Garda was a gentleman. He cycles himself. He said whenever he doesn't have his Garda sash on his bike motorists are visibly more reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you went to the trouble of making a report, followed by a written statement, how come you're happy to now go no further? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the process and the credence accorded us by AGS?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    If you went to the trouble of making a report, followed by a written statement, how come you're happy to now go no further? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the process and the credence accorded us by AGS?

Should've been clearer. Apologies.
    He took a written statement and he said he'll caution the driver but he asked me if I'd be willing to go to court so the driver can be punished, I declined.
    Everyone makes mistakes. I was furious at the time but I'd feel guilty if the person relied on their licence for work and I have them points.

I just want them to learn a lesson. A Garda caution is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Went out for a little local bike ride with MrsD this afternoon, and my my, the loons were out.

First incident, couple of hundred metres from home, at a little traffic calming chicane that is only wide enough for traffic one-way and has yields are either end so you have to yield to whatever is on the section. Halfway through the section and a car appears at the other end, sees us, driver decides he doesn't want to yield and comes straight towards us. Chap driving didn't like me staying in the middle of the lane and gave me the standard "in the middle of the road" nonsense.

Second incident, on a very quiet rural country lane barely more than the width of a car. SUV coming the other way showing no sign of slowing down, so I stayed out enough that they eventually had to slow. Gammon-faced lady driving was miffed that I made her slow down instead of scuttling in to the verge and letting her pass within inches of us at 30-40kph, telling me I need to "share the road".

Honestly, I think they're giving away driving licences on the backs of Weetabix boxes at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Duckjob wrote: »
    Went out for a little local bike ride with MrsD this afternoon, and my my, the loons were out.

First incident, couple of hundred metres from home, at a little traffic calming chicane that is only wide enough for traffic one-way and has yields are either end so you have to yield to whatever is on the section. Halfway through the section and a car appears at the other end, sees us, driver decides he doesn't want to yield and comes straight towards us. Chap driving didn't like me staying in the middle of the lane and gave me the standard "in the middle of the road" nonsense.

Second incident, on a very quiet rural country lane barely more than the width of a car. SUV coming the other way showing no sign of slowing down, so I stayed out enough that they eventually had to slow. Gammon-faced lady driving was miffed that I made her slow down instead of scuttling in to the verge and letting her pass within inches of us at 30-40kph, telling me I need to "share the road".

Honestly, I think they're giving away driving licences on the backs of Weetabix boxes at this stage.

“Share the road” = “This is my road, get out of my way”

“Middle of the road” = “Middle of the lane, get out of my way”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've had a few of these on Belmont Ave in Donnybrook, with a line of parked cars on one side narrowing the road. It's funny how many drivers think it's OK to keep driving towards a cyclist, because yerra it's just a cyclist.

I had one a couple of weeks ago, when I held my position, slowed and stopped, so the oncoming lady had to stopped. Then she started moving off and hit her wing mirror off my handlebar. She then told me that was my fault. When I pointed out that I was stationary while she was moving at the time, she called me a 'w-anker' and drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He took a written statement and he said he'll caution the driver but he asked me if I'd be willing to go to court so the driver can be punished, I declined.
    Everyone makes mistakes. I was furious at the time but I'd feel guilty if the person relied on their licence for work and I have them points.

You'd only need to go to court if the driver contested the charge. I've had enough close/punishment/dick passes and intimidation that unless it's obviously a mistake and they hold their hand up to it at the time then I wouldn't accept an apology or a slap on the hand for them because they're only apologising for being caught.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A caution the driver might not get, Gardai are overworked and this could fall to the bottom of the pile. If the driver needs their vehicle, two things. First, they shouldn't have been a bellend. Two, if they accept it, they won't lose their license unless they've already had several other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Near miss today when some dope turned in on top of me as I was heading straight in the cycle lane. Waiting at the lights right next to him, he had no indicator on or anything, absolutely ridiculous.

And he then had the audacity to beep and swear at *me* as he nearly ran over me.

Some serious jokers on our roads. Very much back to normal unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

or cyclists flying through red lights if we can see its a red light why can t a cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

or cyclists flying through red lights if we can see its a red light why can t a cyclist

Ask in the motoring thread, I presume that's the we you're on about. The motorist the one road user that never runs a red!!

Hahahaha ah haahah hahaaa haha

That cheered me up, thanks buddy!

Ask in the motoring thread, I presume that's the we you're on about. The motorist the one road user that never runs a red!!

Or maybe the aviation forum? Pilots have good eyesight, maybe that's the 'we'?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

very disappointing to read this. Thought it was mainly a german trait (ok, i suspected my brain is stuck in about the 80's, I think people were less materialistic and more decent then). plenty of cars coming against me with parked cars on their side, won't wait until i pass but continue to drive at 50kh and give me inches of free play room on my bike.

The odd person who waits or slows down (slowing down takes nearly all of the risk out of it) gets a hand wave or nod from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

can see where you're coming from, i do this myself and i do as a pedestrian waiting at traffic lights. if I can see there is nothing coming and it's 'safe' then i might do it . I don't do it in cars because it's not the done thing in any situation. Don't want to get into arguments with people but mainly if i ever get it wrong, in my 2/300kg car, i'm liable to do some serious damage to someone/myself. This is far less likely on a bike or walking across the road. having said all that, i am moving towards taking all risk out and waiting at traffic lights no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who's the 'we' you're referring to in this situation;

• Advertisement

I was driving at Blake's Cross coming from Lusk. There was a girl cycling on front of me. I kept my distance and overtook as I reached the two lane part of the R132.

A piss artist undertook me and squuzed past.

Blake's cross is dangerous

Advertisement