Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

CramCycle wrote: »

I know alot of the newer ones just bend back. I mean, I think, I suspect, I don't know, what are you accusing me off.

On the forward-back plane they do alright. Vertical plane is a lot different. apparently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whilst I've often imagined this, it takes a lot to smash a car window.

It really does!
    Had to break my car window a few years back, gave it many, many belts with a hammer and nothing!

Eventually a guy passing by told me to stop, said I'd bend the metal frame around it before I broke the glass with a hammer.

He took out a screwdriver and pushed it up under the rubber frame and pushed it upwards. Windows smashed straight away with hardly a noise.

He's clearly done it before! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Whilst I've often imagined this, it takes a lot to smash a car window. Something with a pointed corner e.g. the end of a spark plug is more likely to quickly break the glass but you're unlikely to succeed if throwing it

My fantasy has evolved to the point where its a fairly hefty lump hammer coupled with a Thor-like throwing action.

I know someone who got locked out of his car once and went at the door window with a sledge hammer. It just bounced off it. A passer by stopped and asked “Would you mind if I had a go at that”. Neither were successful but it just shows that some people can be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Not sure if I could have stopped in time, screamed and he stopped- sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Luas crashes, some silly mistakes by cyclists here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/luas-accidents-warning-5157839-Jul2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Some sobering moments there for sure. More than winced at several :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Some sobering moments there for sure. More than winced at several :eek:

Ahh classic Journal - the first 3 comments :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

onlineweb wrote: »
    Luas crashes, some silly mistakes by cyclists here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/luas-accidents-warning-5157839-Jul2020/
    In fairness, of the incidents shown involving bikes, two involced small children (and two involving unobservant muppets)
    How many of the incidents involving cars or vans were being operated by small children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Interesting bit of spin by Transdev in that case. 5% of incidents involved cyclists yet they chose to feature cyclists in 50% of the incidents shown in the clip.

There's a term for that.

• Advertisement

Who'd be a luas driver with how red lights are seen in this country ? Red light? Sure that just means time for 2 more cars, 3 if the last one floors it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

hesker wrote: »
    I fantasise afterwards that if I had a hammer in my hand I would have flung it through his window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdQw9dGrAEU

This happened in Drogheda a few years ago. A local hero tried to throw a rock through the window of a Mercedes. He knocked himself unconscious. Alarm on car was set off, owner heard it, went out to investigate and found yer man on the ground.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdQw9dGrAEU

This happened in Drogheda a few years ago. A local hero tried to throw a rock through the window of a Mercedes. He knocked himself unconscious. Alarm on car was set off, owner heard it, went out to investigate and found yer man on the ground.

I'll not be able to pass there with a straight face for a while :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How long before there's a near miss on this wonderful piece of infrastructure?

https://twitter.com/LkCycleDesign/status/1286320588911501312?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How long before there's a near miss on this wonderful piece of infrastructure?

https://twitter.com/LkCycleDesign/status/1286320588911501312?s=19

They also just put a new lane over Shannon bridge in Limerick which is really good except they have barriers at either end making it hard to actually get on them

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Interesting bit of spin by Transdev in that case. 5% of incidents involved cyclists yet they chose to feature cyclists in 50% of the incidents shown in the clip.

There's a term for that.

I'll play devils advocate and say you're (probably?) more likely to be killed by a tram if you're a pedestrian/cyclist than in a car... but yeah not a representative selection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I'll play devils advocate and say you're (probably?) more likely to be killed by a tram if you're a pedestrian/cyclist than in a car... but yeah not a representative selection.

I wonder is that true though, not sure if there have been any deaths or enough to do an analysis but hear me out. The LUAS is not exactly a high speed vehicle, by the look of it, reaction times by staff seem to be exceptional. Bar a dead on collision where the driver keeps going, I'd actually prefer to be a pedestrian who hopefully bounces off rather than a car where i am pinned in and nowhere to go. This is obviously dependent on the fact that I am still reasonably fit and would also vary on collision to collision.
    TLDR, your almost certainly more likely to be killed as a pedestrian or cyclist in a set up scenario but in real life, day to day collisions, I wonder would the risks if analysed concur with that assumption.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by the look of it, reaction times by staff seem to be exceptional
    you wouldn't be able to tell from the videos they've posted, because given the nature of them, they're posting ones where the drivers have reacted well.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I wonder is that true though, not sure if there have been any deaths or enough to do an analysis but hear me out. The LUAS is not exactly a high speed vehicle, by the look of it, reaction times by staff seem to be exceptional. Bar a dead on collision where the driver keeps going, I'd actually prefer to be a pedestrian who hopefully bounces off rather than a car where i am pinned in and nowhere to go. This is obviously dependent on the fact that I am still reasonably fit and would also vary on collision to collision.
    TLDR, your almost certainly more likely to be killed as a pedestrian or cyclist in a set up scenario but in real life, day to day collisions, I wonder would the risks if analysed concur with that assumption.

I've no idea on hard statistics, hence my (probably?) caveat! Although a quick google shows up only pedestrian and cyclist fatalities - haven't found any involving motorists.

In my mind, I'd much, much prefer to be in a car (especially having seen bus/car collisions with significant speed involved and how well the car occupants held up - but that may be a different beast).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..The LUAS is not exactly a high speed vehicle, by the look of it...
    That's what I thought until I witnessed at very close range a LUAS T-boning a car at the junction of O'Connell Street and Abbey Street. I was astounded by the ferocity of the collision. A lot of people nearby ran screaming from the scene. I was on the bike waiting at a red light at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, one difference is that two cars colliding will generally involve two vehicles of similar mass.
    a luas tram weighs 50 tons (40m version). so about 30 times your average car. to put that in context, a car hitting me on the bike is a mass mismatch of a factor of maybe 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Haven't managed to get out in a few weeks and main a point of it today, I see all the progress during lockdown has been reversed around here at least.

All within 15 mins of each other

These need no explanation

https://streamable.com/na158f
    https://streamable.com/cblolz

A little hard to see the black car almost takes out the guy on the bike and pushes him towards oncoming traffic.
    https://streamable.com/6paw5c

Love his response when he catches up to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thought it was better than my f's sakes alright so left it in. The driver seemed oblivious probably thinking fupping cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

The standard of driving at that junction is always horrendous. No observation of priority, just bull out into the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

On our club spin last Sunday we had 2 close calls where car and van pulled out from left side road turning left in front of our group. The first one i saw as i was 2nd on left, she never even looked, pulled straight out. Luckily the roads were dry and we could all brake hard. The second one was on way back to Gorey, coming up to the Applegreen garage on very wet road, a van pulled out in front of the group, i didn't know what happened as i was on the back, heavy brakes, shouting, i touched the wheel in front was thrown by a violent swerve towards the kerb, was sure i was hitting the deck but managaged to pull away from kerb and stayed up. In each incident the fckers just drove on, no apologies, nada.
    Then about 1km from home coming to a left turn, 2 cars coming towards me, first car going straight but 2nd car taking the turn, turned directly in front of me, had to go on wrong side of road to avoid collision, in fairness she did apologise by way of hand gestures.
    Getting harder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

tnegun wrote: »
    Haven't managed to get out in a few weeks and main a point of it today, I see all the progress during lockdown has been reversed around here at least.

All within 15 mins of each other

These need no explanation

https://streamable.com/na158f
    https://streamable.com/cblolz

Do you go looking for trouble ?

1st one - you were over taking the other cyclist and in the middle of the road
    2nd one - way out past the yellow line, again in the road.
    Van driver was dead right

what the poster was doing was perfectly legal in both cases.
    'out past the yellow line' means he was in the lane - you complain he was 'in the road' - on what planet is it wrong to cycle in the road?

and how is one cyclist supposed to overtake another? on the footpath?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

what the poster was doing was perfectly legal in both cases.
    'out past the yellow line' means he was in the lane - you complain he was 'in the road' - on what planet is it wrong to cycle in the road?

and how is one cyclist supposed to overtake another? on the footpath?

He should of looked behind him rather than pulling out in front of a car . Cars are dangerous lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

doughef wrote: »
    Cars are dangerous lads
    I daren't look at mine sitting in the driveway in case it tries to attack me.

Advertisement