Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming up to a roundabout yesterday and I can see a large haulage truck approaching me from behind. Its one of those roundabouts where they have changed the rules on what lane means what but anyway. I clearly signal where I am going, look behind, he is slowing, all good. We both have to stop as a car is on the roundabout. I take off as quick as I can to clear it, and he slowly takes off. Car undertakes him and squeezes between the two of us, wheel spins as they try to do it. I swerve outta the way, and look sidewards (Blue Toyota Avensis 10RN100*, Male driver, mid 50s) at a guy just eyeballing me like I murdered his kids, while his passenger his transfixed straight ahead in fear and a teenager in the back is blissfully unaware. He was staring at em so intently he almost ran the car into the kerb at the exit. Haulier got a shock and slowed, we waved each other, thank god he was on the ball

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had to pick up some stuff earlier from near Park West so rather than take the car, I hopped on the bike and got in a bit of exercise.
    Typical! Met Eireann app tells me no rain due but of course there was plenty.

On my way home, this bin lorry came a bit close at Adamstown. At the time it felt bad, especially the second pass.
    Looking back at the footage, I'm having second thoughts about it - am I just used to close passes or was he too close in your view?
    https://streamable.com/zi8euf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I had to pick up some stuff earlier from near Park West so rather than take the car, I hopped on the bike and got in a bit of exercise.

On my way home, this bin lorry came a bit close at Adamstown. At the time it felt bad, especially the second pass.
    Looking back at the footage, I'm having second thoughts about it - am I just used to close passes or was he too close in your view?

Two things I noticed: Both times it appears he moves out enough, but then comes closer to you. I am not sure if this is the eyes playing tricks tho with the way the road marking are painted. I think the first one the lorry moves out, but the road narrows and moves back in as a result.

Secondly, I think after the first one I would have stayed behind him at the lights - but bin lorries are the worst to be stuck behind because of the stench :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its the first bit that I would be annoyed at because its completely pointless to overtake a bike only to stop at a red right after and he doesnt give you enough room to get in behind him once he stops. To me it looks like he is pulling in to force you into the left turning lane so hes not really overtaking but taking your space on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The rear view of the second pass looks bad - to answer your question in the video I think he is fckin stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

kenmm wrote: »
    Two things I noticed: Both times it appears he moves out enough, but then comes closer to you. I am not sure if this is the eyes playing tricks tho with the way the road marking are painted. I think the first one the lorry moves out, but the road narrows and moves back in as a result.
    :D
    I think its a combination of him being a bully, completely misjudging your speed and on the second towards the end the road does narrow from the left.

I've had a few close calls at Finnstown house too there used to be some of those plastic wands fixed in the middle of the road and traffic would think you had loads of room bar the road narrowed from the left and drivers would completely misjudge this space a pass very close often at speed. I saw a bus take them out one day and they haven't been replaced thankfully!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

The "cycle lane" on the Oscar Traynor Road is rubbish. It's a mere painted line on the periphery of the bus lane. If you cycle in it, you risk being squeezed by buses, taxis and even people not entitled to use the bus lane.

I was driving and stopped in traffic. A cyclist was coming down the lane (from Santry towards Northside) and a car was on top of his mudguard he moved into the cycle track and was squeezed by with a blast of the horn.

The irony. The driver wasn't even allowed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Took up cycling to work during the lockdown. Thankfully no near miss until this morning. Going straight through a four way junction with the lights in my favour. Taxi coming in the opposite direction turning right somehow didn't see me and turned on me, missing by millimeters. Think he genuinely didn't see me but really dumb move.

Main cause of ire for me is the teenagers using phones when cycling. Seen a few of them around and they are a goddamned menace to themselves and other users. Have no common sense whatsoever!! I almost knock over one or two off them when they suddenly swerve on the road. Seem to be popular on Amiens street and North Strand road for some reason.

Took up cycling to work during the lockdown. Thankfully no near miss until this morning. Going straight through a four way junction with the lights in my favour. Taxi coming in the opposite direction turning right somehow didn't see me and turned on me, missing by millimeters. Think he genuinely didn't see me but really dumb move.
    You must have done somehting wrong because a taxi driver is a professional driver and therefore surely wouldn't drive without due care and attention.
    :D
    Main cause of ire for me is the teenagers using phones when cycling. Seen a few of them around and they are a goddamned menace to themselves and other users. Have no common sense whatsoever!! I almost knock over one or two off them when they suddenly swerve on the road. Seem to be popular on Amiens street and North Strand road for some reason.
    Just give teenagers a wide berth if you see them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

general advice for life in general, not just cycling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Beat me to it :D

Being the owner of two teenagers, I'd say it's general advice for life! :D

Coming to a junction this evening and a car overtook and swung across me. I seen it happening so grabbed the brakes before he even indicated. Taxi came by right after I lifted my hands to give a "what the f*ck" shrug. Window down, I could hear it coming, well f*ck me if he didn't roar out the window:
    "Some people have no f*cking patience, where was he in a rush too". I gave him a nod, a thumbs up and a thanks. It was just really nice for someone to realise why you were annoyed.

Thank god for the taxi driver as I was close to losing it, this was one of the worst days in years commuting, people cutting across me multiple times (on approach, as in turning right), merging into me, running reds as I was waiting to go through etc. Thankfully the few drivers who were decent made up for all those who were prats.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming to a junction this evening and a car overtook and swung across me. I seen it happening so grabbed the brakes before he even indicated. Taxi came by right after I lifted my hands to give a "what the f*ck" shrug. Window down, I could hear it coming, well f*ck me if he didn't roar out the window:
    "Some people have no f*cking patience, where was he in a rush too". I gave him a nod, a thumbs up and a thanks. It was just really nice for someone to realise why you were annoyed.

Thank god for the taxi driver as I was close to losing it, this was one of the worst days in years commuting, people cutting across me multiple times (on approach, as in turning right), merging into me, running reds as I was waiting to go through etc. Thankfully the few drivers who were decent made up for all those who were prats.

Calm down, I think you're hallucinating after your trauma

Calm down, I think you're hallucinating after your trauma

Took me by surprise as well but it made a miserable day into an acceptable one, and to be honest, it was all I needed after a rough week. It's amazing the power of a kind word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    Took me by surprise as well but it made a miserable day into an acceptable one, and to be honest, it was all I needed after a rough week. It's amazing the power of a kind word.

...especially from a most unlikely source :D

Meanwhile in the UK, the West Mercia Police show that cycling on a road is just too dangerous for their officers (it's worth looking at her other responses in the twitter thread)...

https://twitter.com/SuptBrighton/status/1305471453811310592

Meanwhile in the UK, the West Mercia Police show that cycling on a road is just too dangerous for their officers (it's worth looking at her other responses in the twitter thread)...

Does that mean all drugs busts are cancelled too.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Does that mean all drugs busts are cancelled too.
    I'm trying hard to come up with something funny but I simply can't think of anything funnier than her statement to the public.
    Tragic but funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Clearly, she didn't think it through, before tweeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I got hit last Wednesday morning. Coming into work in city centre and got hit on Gardner street. A car coming the other direction took a right turn across the road and didn’t see me. I hit the front passenger side of his car really hard.

Ambulance job. Witnessed by another motorist who gave his details to the Gardaí. I ended up with a dislocated left shoulder and the ligaments have been thorn on my right shoulder (grade 3 ACJ separation). The driver of the car is claiming it was my fault “I came out of nowhere” - he hit me when I was on the bike lane!!!!

Anyway, apart from being banged up I’m ok for the most part. Haven’t seen my bike yet as the Gardaí have it and I’ve to go by and give a statement as the other person is denying liability

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hope you get well soon and that driver gets what they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

barrier86 wrote: »
    I got hit last Wednesday morning. Coming into work in city centre and got hit on Gardner street. A car coming the other direction took a right turn across the road and didn’t see me. I hit the front passenger side of his car really hard.

Ambulance job. Witnessed by another motorist who gave his details to the Gardaí. I ended up with a dislocated left shoulder and the ligaments have been thorn on my right shoulder (grade 3 ACJ separation). The driver of the car is claiming it was my fault “I came out of nowhere” - he hit me when I was on the bike lane!!!!

Anyway, apart from being banged up I’m ok for the most part. Haven’t seen my bike yet as the Gardaí have it and I’ve to go by and give a statement as the other person is denying liability

While your making a statement to the Gardai you may as well arrange a meeting with your solicitor.

I dislocated my shoulder a few years ago, and it’s never been right since. I’ve had lots of physio at my own expense and have lost a lot of range of motion because of it. If that had been someone’s else’s fault i would have made sure I wasn’t paying for the rehab.

Best of luck.

Almost had one today that was a bit my own fault in fairness.

A small delivery truck overtook me just coming up to a crossroads and then stopped to turn right almost straight after. Of course me being annoyed that he didn't wait behind me flew out on his left hand side and didn't see the car coming across the crossroads on my right. He was a good distance away but I gave him a fright all the same and could have been worse

5uspect wrote: »
    Hope you get well soon and that driver gets what they deserve.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Once the investigation has been complete and finalised I’ll give the details of the outcome on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Once the investigation has been complete and finalised I’ll give the details of the outcome on here.

To echo a previous poster; sounds like the driver is being a pr1ck here - I'd advise to lawyer up and let them worry about all the legals etc. - you'll have enough on your plate getting back to full health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

To echo a previous poster; sounds like the driver is being a pr1ck here - I'd advise to lawyer up and let them worry about all the legals etc. - you'll have enough on your plate getting back to full health.

Another option might be to use the Personal Accident and Injuries Board. The process is quite straightforward. My experience was positive enough.

I think the award might be lower but I was happy with the outcome and you don't have to worry about solicitors / court fees etc. Actually I saw a survey that showed that the awards are not all that lower once costs are subtracted. A barristor friend was of the opinion that he would have gotten me more but I don't subscribe to the inflated compo thing personally.

My other experience is that the Guards were happy to let it go the civil route, but you have a witness etc. Just make sure that the witness is responsive and turns up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Keep a diary/record on mobile phone of all the things you cannot do as well as analgesia and all the extra costs eg taxis to physio /fracture clinics- keep all receipts.

It will make things a lot easier when you submit for medical assessment/costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I actually think I saw the aftermath of that. Frenchman's lane? Glad to hear you're (relatively) okay. Hopefully it doesn't get dragged out and the driver gets rightfully punished.

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    I actually think I saw the aftermath of that. Frenchman's lane? Glad to hear you're (relatively) okay. Hopefully it doesn't get dragged out and the driver gets rightfully punished.

That’s the one. Yes I’d imagine it was me you saw. Thanks for the well wishes! Hopefully his insurance company dint act the clown.

Advertisement