Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

498351.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had a frank exchange of views with the driver of a black X5 outbound on the howth road approaching killester about half an hour ago. he jammed on and swung hard into the cycle lane without indicating while a couple of metres in front of me.
    i may have gotten the red mist and slapped his wing mirror.
    i may have also forgotten to wish him a happy christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

Some of the driving I've witnessed over the past few days is incredible.

I've had to jam on and swerve at 40kph+ twice for people pulling straight across me at junctions with no hardshoulder.

One guy yesterday was totally oblivious to me even as I whispered in his window at him for a good ten seconds. When he finally looked at me it was clear he had no idea I was there despite being the only road user within 200m of him and having come down a straight stretch of road before he looked through me and pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

A cyclist narrowly escaped death after being run over by a truck in northern China's Tianjin on December 19.

http://nsfwyoutube.com/watch?v=Cyq3-Rf6NIA

He has some minor injuries and can walk away, but damn lucky to be alive.
    Notice the cultural difference between China and a country like Ireland, nobody gets out of their car to help him.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Notice the cultural difference between China and a country like Ireland, nobody gets out of their car to help him.
    Trying lying on the road in Dublin, I have had people drive around me before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yup my neighbor came off coming into the estate and 2 other neighbors just drove around him while he was sitting there :(

Actually, just watched the video, only two others there. He was moving etc. No cultural differences at all

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Encountered some terrible driving around Dublin in the last couple of days , even more so than usual .
    Little spin to Howth yesterday between Sutton x and Howth village I had 3 incidents alone of close calls . 2 of them from Audi drivers .

There is a running joke in our house when I have a close call or punishment pass . Was it an Audi ?? Yes luv

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Trying lying on the road in Dublin, I have had people drive around me before
    I trust you apologised for the inconvenience you caused them as they passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭coolbeans

was driving through oldtown at 8:30pm this evening, two people out on bikes on an unlit road, but it was OK because they were both wearing builders vests.

Bonus points if the builder vest is RSA branded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've found motorists beep in support of you've come down in front of them. They'll never get those few seconds back

I did get tutted once, I foolisly thought he was stopping to check on me, I was OK but still on the ground. Rolled around me, rolled down the window and loudly tutted before driving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just to finish out the year in style

Clueless Pedestrian
    Pointless Pass
    Close Pass

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For reference, when I went to my local station a month ago with both front and rear camera footage of a dangerously stupid overtake attempt, I was told that the garda could only proceed with the new law if I went to court (as otherwise it was my word against theirs and the footage wasn't evidence per se) :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/Cyclistie/status/1211701180038029312?s=19

For reference, when I went to my local station a month ago with both front and rear camera footage of a dangerously stupid overtake attempt, I was told that the garda could only proceed with the new law if I went to court (as otherwise it was my word against theirs and the footage wasn't evidence per se) :rolleyes:
    This is generally the case with any video evidence afaik - it needs to be accompanied by the person who can say "I took this video on this date at this location" at a minimum.

The UK have better systems and legal processes that allow cyclists to submit video footage online and fines/points are issued automatically, which would be great - but we're a long way off that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Is there a problem with going to court? I have made 4 traffic watch complaints. Thus far none of them has gone to court but if they did then so be it

Is there a problem with going to court? I have made 4 traffic watch complaints. Thus far none of them has gone to court but if they did then so be it
    No but what's the point of the new law and video evidence if I still have to spend an hour in the station doing out a statement and then take a day off work to visit court over some ignorant prick? It's more of a punishment on me than the driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

No but what's the point of the new law and video evidence if I still have to spend an hour in the station doing out a statement and then take a day off work to visit court over some ignorant prick? It's more of a punishment on me than the driver!

Fair enough. I wasn't being argumentative by the way, just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Does the law need to be changed to allow video submission like in the UK?
    Is it an internal garda procedure that prevents flexibility here, or a restriction in law?

Took the bike down home over Christmas and got out for a quick 50km spin around county Waterford. Only a few hundred meters out of the house when a woman in a car squeezes through this roundabout - I'd already signaled I was taking primary and moving right, but she bullied on through nevertheless. Almost brushed me as she passed.

https://goo.gl/maps/m4CdaAReq7w2hfMX6

Her two outer wheels were on the concrete part around the roundabout as she passed me. Two kids strapped in the back. She was genuinely oblivious to me. Using a bright strobe, usual hi vis etc.

Went out for a club spin on New Years eve. Tullow Oil tanker overtakes us (a group of 8, travelling two abreast, nice and tight) then left hooks us at a Y-junction. Totally pointless and dangerous.

• Advertisement

Steoller wrote: »
    Is it an internal garda procedure that prevents flexibility here, or a restriction in law?
    According to the fella in Leixlip station, in the eyes of the law it's my word against hers and the video is only there to support me. The video on its own is not sufficient for anything :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

For chain of evidence purposes, I can see why the complainant would need to be in court. You'd expect a much smaller chance of having to go to court, if the person caught on camera knows they've been caught on camera, they'd be more likely to accept the charge?

Not sure which needs to change, or possibly both - but certainly AGS need to take some serious action here.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

According to the fella in Leixlip station, in the eyes of the law it's my word against hers and the video is only there to support me. The video on its own is not sufficient for anything :(

That is strange. My complaint from last February is (finally) going to court, and I have not been required to attend - they are proceeding off the back of the footage I submitted. And my complaint was an incident in Celbridge, which should be under the same Super as leixlip.

It possibly depends on the garda on the desk :confused:

Dunno about that. I reported a crazy close pass in February 2019 - I was basically forced off the road by a white van man, who overtook me to get in behind a slow moving bus that I was cycling behind. Brought the video to the garda on duty at Pearse Street, who said he was a keen cyclist and agreed it was very dangerous. Have yet to hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cyclist down in Killester this evening, at junction of Collins Avenue and Howth Road. Fire brigade at the scene. Hopefully she is ok, she was sitting up when I passed and being assisted by several people.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

That is strange. My complaint from last February is (finally) going to court, and I have not been required to attend - they are proceeding off the back of the footage I submitted. And my complaint was an incident in Celbridge, which should be under the same Super as leixlip.

You’d be required to go to court if the defendant goes not guilty and takes a hearing. If they plead guilty then the facts are given by the Garda or court presenter.

The footage you submitted would be played in court for a hearing and you would be questioned by both the prosecution and defence on it. It may be a case that the defence are reviewing the evidence against their client and depending on the footage, they may or may not take a hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Dunno about that. I reported a crazy close pass in February 2019 - I was basically forced off the road by a white van man, who overtook me to get in behind a slow moving bus that I was cycling behind. Brought the video to the garda on duty at Pearse Street, who said he was a keen cyclist and agreed it was very dangerous. Have yet to hear anything.

You could possibly follow this up with the Garda you reported it to. Depending on the offence, you may be recorded on PULSE as being a witness or injured party. Witnesses generally are not informed of court outcomes/ FCPNs. Victims now have a right under the Victims Charter to be kept informed of their case by the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes.

"You shouldn't be out cycling at night" was the response I got several years ago when reporting a driver who made physical contact with me while passing.

Advertisement