Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Posts relating to Hi Vis moved to Hi Vis thread, any further replies should head over there

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

***not me - spotted on Twitter just now...
    https://twitter.com/rohal_/status/1338555861619322889

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

That is an absolute shocker, how an Garda haven't done anything with this is baffling.pure stupidity to come in when he saw the bike, followed by lunacy of trying to overtake.
    It wouldn't be 200 euro I'd be after.
    Straight into the insurance company if cyclist has it, if not, on to the uninsured drivers dept (mibi, I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

***not me - spotted on Twitter just now...
    https://twitter.com/rohal_/status/1338555861619322889

Go back to the station and ask for appointment with super. Tell them this is not going away and you want it followed up, if not it’s gsoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

wheelo01 wrote: »
    That is an absolute shocker, how an Garda haven't done anything with this is baffling.pure stupidity to come in when he saw the bike, followed by lunacy of trying to overtake.
    It wouldn't be 200 euro I'd be after.
    Straight into the insurance company if cyclist has it, if not, on to the uninsured drivers dept (mibi, I think)

this right here^^^

i hear of too many people who cycle who are only too happy to let a driver off with just paying for the repairs to the bike. then have all sorts of hassle getting the money and getting it in a timely fashion.
    they might agree a few euro for a new wheel or whatever but never get the frame checked. some wont even go see a doctor about their injuries.

if you are in a collision get insurance details, go to a doctor, make a claim.
    you are entitled to it, and its what insurance is for. dont let people shame you into "all claims are a scam" stuff.

if you are injured and your property is damaged insurance is to set it right. a professional assessor will look at your claim, if you think thye offered too much then turn it down. if it turns out to be only 50eu for a buckled wheel then the driver can pay off their insurance and wont lose their NCB. theyll still get a loading for being a sh!t driver but who have they got to blame for that?

and lastly, the gardai wont do a thing. they see most non fatal motor collisions as as civil issue that can be settled by the insurers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Just to add that the PIAB is there as a service if you do not want to use a solicitor or go to court. The process is a bit of a faff but its not too bad and the PIAB staff are very easy to deal with. Its a concilliation process and it does not harm your chances if an agreement isn't made. You can still pursue through the courts (ala Maria Bailey :p). I used the PIAB and was satisfied with the outcome, personal injury awards are in line with the book of quantum so should not be confused with inflated claims etc.

Do PIAB resolve non-medical claims e.g. the cost of damage to the person's bike?

I am nearly certain that they do. They did as part of my claim for some minor damage th the bike but there was a personal injury claim to go with it. Just remember that each claim costs you 40quid (admin fee) that the insured party pays if they accept the settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Do PIAB resolve non-medical claims e.g. the cost of damage to the person's bike?

I don't think so. I was in such a situation. The system is actually set up in favour of inflated personal injury claims. I found it extremely difficult to get compensated for bike-only damage. In the absence of potential personal injury payout the game wasn't worth the candle for a solicitor

Actually I just checked - I'm wrong - there has to be an injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You can’t fall off a bike and not be injured to some degree, even slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

1/ that was attempted murder
    2/ you were injured , werent you ...
    you need to get the insurance details, go to the guards and demand them , and demand that this is investigated as a serious crime .

let the media know all over the place .

that person needs a hiding .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just remembered I very, very nearly got doored by a taxi driver the other day. They didn't bother pulling into the rank as it really looked, but did some sort of half arsed parking, so even with me elaving the room expected, they didn't on their part. A loud "Jesus Christ" got a sheepish apology at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

After my first solid year of cycling to work today I had my first incident ever where I felt unsafe. Guy came about two inches from my handlebars, I had to swerve left after as he kept coming left during the overtake. Definitely intentional, started laying on the horn when I overtook him 14 seconds later at the lights though I spent the next 100m right behind the car in front. Wound down the window to yell that I should be on the (non-existent) cycle path. All I could do was gawk at the ignorant head on him, just as well cause I'm going to call Traffic Watch about it, hopefully they do something.

Pales into insignificance compared to the last incident in this thread, but I'm genuinely put out, never had a confrontation before, thought it was just a Dublin (and Righttobikeit :D) thing.

536229.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Paddigol

WTF did he think he was doing... cycling in a shared cycle/bus lane when there was a very important car wanting to use it for himself/ herself? I bet he doesn't even pay road tax. Hope the paint work on the door didn't get scuffed by pedals/ bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

TheChizler wrote: »
    After my first solid year of cycling to work today I had my first incident ever where I felt unsafe. Guy came about two inches from my handlebars, I had to swerve left after as he kept coming left during the overtake. Definitely intentional, started laying on the horn when I overtook him 14 seconds later at the lights though I spent the next 100m right behind the car in front. Wound down the window to yell that I should be on the (non-existent) cycle path. All I could do was gawk at the ignorant head on him, just as well cause I'm going to call Traffic Watch about it, hopefully they do something.

Pales into insignificance compared to the last incident in this thread, but I'm genuinely put out, never had a confrontation before, thought it was just a Dublin (and Righttobikeit :D) thing.

Just so you know...modern car body panels are made of very thin metal. A good thump with your fist makes a very loud noise inside the car! If the driver asks why you thumped his car, just tell him you were making sure he wasn't deaf as well as blind! ��

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm just wondering if this is what makes some drivers (and that scumbag/Bully garda) think I have whacked their car at the merest tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if this is what makes some drivers (and that scumbag/Bully garda) think I have whacked their car at the merest tap.

Thump the side of a van and the drivers ears will be ringing for hours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

If a car overtakes you and you feel anyway unsafe feel free to whack the car as you are in danger. They are required to give you 1 meter space and Michael Phelp's arms aren't even that long so, in my opinion, there can be no complaints. you are letting them know you do not want to be crushed.

If they want to claim you damaged their car let them know you damaged your hand while they put you in danger.

Disclaimer: I know funk all about the law so take your own council and I in no way suggest violence just defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

work wrote: »
    If a car overtakes you and you feel anyway unsafe feel free to whack the car as you are in danger. They are required to give you 1 meter space and Michael Phelp's arms aren't even that long so, in my opinion, there can be no complaints. you are letting them know you do not want to be crushed.

If they want to claim you damaged their car let them know you damaged your hand while they put you in danger.

Disclaimer: I know funk all about the law so take your own council and I in no way suggest violence just defense.
    As nice as it might feel I'm not going to do that unless there's a good reason, like the driver hadn't seen me or something. This clearly was intentional and they're not about to back off, who knows what they'd do. I don't want the driver to have anything to use against me if it goes anywhere too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have on occasion mulled that the best response to an angry motorist, iridescent at you deigning to touch their car, is to deny it. on the grounds that, since you didn't deviate from your line, that the only possible way you could touch their car is for them to get close enough to you to allow this, and clearly they are a driver of such skill that this is quite simply impossible, surely?

or a similar 'shout at you? why would i have shouted at you? i only shout at dangerous drivers, and surely you're not a dangerous driver?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

work wrote: »

I don't think this is right. There are recommended distances for different speed limits, but no set distance required as far as I know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Saw the video posted from Twitter and the driver saying it was the cyclists fault for not getting out of the way. That's absolutely shocking.

It's making me think, I should probably get a camera, just in case.

What kind of cameras do cyclists use for recording videos like that while cycling?

Have a look through this camera thread from a few months back: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058083531

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

fat bloke wrote: »
    I don't think so. I was in such a situation. The system is actually set up in favour of inflated personal injury claims. I found it extremely difficult to get compensated for bike-only damage. In the absence of potential personal injury payout the game wasn't worth the candle for a solicitor

if you have a damage only claim, get the insurance details, call the insurance company and follow their process. its very easy once there is evidence of the collision (photos or video)

if you didnt get insurance details at the scene this is where the garda WILL help. go to them, report the collision and that the driver did not exchange detauls with you. you'll need the registration, and the garda will issue "a lawful request to present" and the driver has 10 days to show up at a station and give their insurance details

Had this Citylink bus pass me in the auxillary lane on the N4 approaching Leixlip this evening.
    Scared the bejaysus out of me...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That auxiliary lane is really bad. People think because there's a line of paint demarking a cycle lane, they can pass at speed as long as they're in their own lane. Would be better if there was no cycle lane marked out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Stark wrote: »
    That auxiliary lane is really bad. People think because there's a line of paint demarking a cycle lane, they can pass at speed as long as they're in their own lane. Would be better if there was no cycle lane marked out at all.

Reminds me of this one by Airside on the Swords Road. Wafer thin cycle lane painted down the side. Coach drivers and taxis can pass you by a whisker at 70kph, but hey, it's all good because everybody's in their lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4411187,-6.2276724,3a,75y,143.77h,71.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssUk38PjHuZhdliL6ZWM0WQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I ignore that dotted line altogether when I ride there. Get the odd irate taxi driver, but TBH my safety is a lot higher priority than them suffering the inconvenience of having to go to the other lane for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ouch - very close one Seth. The slightest wobble and there'd be contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

The stretch is lethal I'd a very similar pass with one of their buses not far from there too. Complained to the company but heard no more about it.
    *edit. I was wrong they did reply and said that they took action but going by your video it doesn't look like had much effect! I've attached the snip I took from the video and sent them as he passed in the pouring rain very similar driving.

Advertisement