Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't condone capital punishment but I also wouldn't rush to stop someone if they were drag the driver out of the car and give them 40 lashes.

There's just something about putting kids in mortal danger for your own convenience that engages my lizard brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't condone capital punishment but I also wouldn't rush to stop someone if they were drag the driver out of the car and give them 40 lashes.

Of a bike tyre for irony

We had a similar thing happen in our estate and the kid was so scared they hopped off the bike and ran home. The passenger of the car got out and took the kids bike indoors with him as a punishment.

Unfortunately for the guy, the kids dad is a retired Leinster lock and after a “word” he has promised never to do it again.

one for cyclists going around at the moment :D

(play sound)

https://i.imgur.com/JIqR47F.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

glasso wrote: »
    one for cyclists going around at the moment :D

(play sound)

https://i.imgur.com/JIqR47F.mp4

I was sent this last week by a friend who's a Dublin Bus driver. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Aegir wrote: »
    We had a similar thing happen in our estate and the kid was so scared they hopped off the bike and ran home. The passenger of the car got out and took the kids bike indoors with him as a punishment.

Unfortunately for the guy, the kids dad is a retired Leinster lock and after a “word” he has promised never to do it again.

Can they talk??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Aegir wrote: »

Can they talk?? Not from the scrum sounds anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was reminded of those surveys that showed a lot of drivers dont perceive cyclists as fully human, like not in a million years would you even think of driving at a child walking in the road and blow a car horn right into their ears like that but because they were on a little plastic balance bike they didnt see an issue with risking their life and scaring the crap out of them for no reason, its completely insane. Ill be looking for him again to say it to him :mad:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/half-car-drivers-think-cyclists-not-fully-human-according-new-study-411816#:~:text=Stothard%2FGetty%20Images)-,More%20than%20half%20of%20car%20drivers%20think%20cyclists%20are%20not,according%20to%20new%20university%20research.&text=%E2%80%9CIf%20cyclists%20feel%20dehumanised%20by,further%20fuels%20dehumanisation%20against%20them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would like to know how the questions are phrased; saying that 'they didn't think they're fully human' is probably putting a controversial spin on the questions that were asked.
    that said, i am fully of the belief that the way cars are constructed and used makes them psychologically isolating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No indicator until he starts to merge over but I copped the slight merge hence the brake pull in time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the gardai want all info now - there's a clear reg visible in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep. Can't let him away with that Cram. left unchecked, that will only be repeated and maybe worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

well, the gardai want all info now - there's a clear reg visible in that.

And expect the "but why weren't you in the cycle lane* question in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

And expect the "but why weren't you in the cycle lane* question in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

I expect that but there is good reason. About 200m before this the cycle lane cuts in and out around a bus stop and it collects leaves, has a ridge and a drain cover, as well as confusion in what appears to be an unsigned shared space area. Too many times I have seen cyclists come down there, so during wet weather so I take the bus lane from just before the cut in. I stay in the bus lane for the 100m as it is safer to cut back in where the lane and road are at the same level. The cut back in after the bus stop is so sharp, lots of taxis and buses slam on the brakes if you are in it as they think you are going to fly out into them. I was moving the same speed as any bus would have been approaching a red light so I certainly was not impeding traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I also find N plates a warning sign.

Bigger warning is a car with N and L plates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Of course I was in too much shock to do anything about it. He was very apologetic. Seemed like a decent lad. Sprawled out on the road. Bike was okay. Didn't seem like any significant injuries, so kept going on my spin.

This reminded me of my car door experience. Cycling along St Stephen's Green towards Leeson St and I got car doored by someone getting out of a parked car. Came off and my jeans were all ripped, bits of gravel embedded in my palms and my ankle really hurt. The man was all apologetic but I just shooed him away and limped back to work.
    Afterwards I was thinking what you're supposed to do in those situations? It was a pair of diesel jeans worth about 160 quid and I was pretty shook up.
    Are they liable for anything?
    I nearly got car doored nearby soon afterwards when someone stopped outside Top Shop on St Stephen's Green to let his mate out of the car and I lost it at the guy getting out that I had to jam on for. Must have been pent up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

I expect that but there is good reason. About 200m before this the cycle lane cuts in and out around a bus stop and it collects leaves, has a ridge and a drain cover, as well as confusion in what appears to be an unsigned shared space area. Too many times I have seen cyclists come down there, so during wet weather so I take the bus lane from just before the cut in. I stay in the bus lane for the 100m as it is safer to cut back in where the lane and road are at the same level. The cut back in after the bus stop is so sharp, lots of taxis and buses slam on the brakes if you are in it as they think you are going to fly out into them. I was moving the same speed as any bus would have been approaching a red light so I certainly was not impeding traffic.

you forgot to mention the walkway from the estate and the pedestrian crossing in the same shared space.

Know that stretch well and the cycle lane is basically a doodle on a road planners drawing. Add to that the long downhill, which means you are travelling quicker, it just makes much more sense to be in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

This reminded me of my car door experience. Cycling along St Stephen's Green towards Leeson St and I got car doored by someone getting out of a parked car. Came off and my jeans were all ripped, bits of gravel embedded in my palms and my ankle really hurt. The man was all apologetic but I just shooed him away and limped back to work.
    Afterwards I was thinking what you're supposed to do in those situations? It was a pair of diesel jeans worth about 160 quid and I was pretty shook up.
    Are they liable for anything?
    I nearly got car doored nearby soon afterwards when someone stopped outside Top Shop on St Stephen's Green to let his mate out of the car and I lost it at the guy getting out that I had to jam on for. Must have been pent up.

The reality is, unless your bike is damaged, or you require medical attention, I can't see you getting compensated.

Car insurance companies are highly unlikely to pay out for damaged clothing, and it's probably equally unlikely that the fella in the car is going to hand over cash to you if you tell him the cost of the jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,732 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

BMW quelle surprise?

I also keep a wide berth of "KE", "C" or yellow plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's a good answer.

Another good answer is "because I felt like it" because you don't have to justify your route choices to anyone. You don't have to choose your route to minimise inconvenience to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

cletus wrote: »
    The reality is, unless your bike is damaged, or you require medical attention, I can't see you getting compensated.

Car insurance companies are highly unlikely to pay out for damaged clothing, and it's probably equally unlikely that the fella in the car is going to hand over cash to you if you tell him the cost of the jeans

That's why its advisable to engage a solicitor and let them handle any and all negotiations with insurance companies and 3rd parties. Plenty of young aggressive legal professionals out there....

coming downhill past omni, a poxy ****stick in a white yaris drove right out onto the road in front of me from behind the wall on the left here (i.e. where the white SUV is). i had plenty of room and enough time to react and swerve around him, but what really annoyed me was his car had a nurburgring sticker on it. a yaris with a nurburgring sticker. the car should be taken from him and crushed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3888206,-6.2459068,3a,75y,150.17h,73.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP_6hujffQc6iVj21GjqPzQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That's a good answer.

Another good answer is "because I felt like it" because you don't have to justify your route choices to anyone. You don't have to choose your route to minimise inconvenience to others.

You are of course correct but sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. In a situation where I was pulled up on it for no reason, I would go with your response. In this scenario, I feel it gets across that I have actually thought about my actions and therefore am a reasonably attentive road user. It, hopefully, immediately dispels the concern of the Garda that I might have provoked the driver earlier (which should never be a reason or an excuse, but adds a layer on top for the Garda (I also have it on rear camera so no concern there if they did ask)).

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

but what really annoyed me was his car had a nurburgring sticker on it. a yaris with a nurburgring sticker. the car should be taken from him and crushed.

Apologies in advance for this segway. After your comment I had a random thought wondering if people can cycle on the nurburgring. Sure enough!

I'd say that'd be an experience.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tjhook wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for this segway. After your comment I had a random thought wondering if people can cycle on the nurburgring. Sure enough!

Can you put a ring sticker on your bike afterwards? :D

tjhook wrote: »

a bunch of my colleagues have done it; relay races.

More climbing than I would have thought on it https://www.strava.com/segments/5539685

More climbing than I would have thought on it https://www.strava.com/segments/5539685

Yeah this is the thing about watching F1 racing on TV you never a true sense of the road rising, Spa is the same from what I recall of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

This was put up in the dash cam in the motorist section.

The YouTube description say "deliveroo cyclists......are a bane to motorists and here is why"

Thankfully the poster (who's also the driver) hasn't got any support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

micar wrote: »

This was put up in the dash cam in the motorist section.

The YouTube description say "deliveroo cyclists......are a bane to motorists and here is why"

Thankfully the poster (who's also the driver) hasn't got any support.

Video is unavailable now. Must have taken it down if s/he was on the receiving end of abuse. What happened?

Advertisement