Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

According to the fella in Leixlip station, in the eyes of the law it's my word against hers and the video is only there to support me. The video on its own is not sufficient for anything :(

I think AGS have a lot to do with the current situation. They see their role as evidence gatherers. They frequently dismiss video evidence as being insufficient on its own with no reason given. Then when it suits them, they appeal to the public for dash cam footage to help them with an investigation or go on Crimecall with CCTV footave seeking information on the ID of somebody.

CCTV either is or is not evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Yes.

"You shouldn't be out cycling at night" was the response I got several years ago when reporting a driver who made physical contact with me while passing.

He probably regards bikes as a toy for kids to potter about in the estate during the day

I know people who think bikes are for kids only - at the age of 35 I was told by a woman my own age - are ya not a bit old for cycling !

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Oberkon wrote: »
    ...... - at the age of 35 I was told by a woman my own age - are ya not a bit old for cycling !

Love it, I think people have a strange mind-set as they get older. Why stop doing things you did as a kid. Rollerblade, ice-skate, surf, swim etc etc and cycle.
    I have been told numerous times partaking in the above is irresponsible. The biggest motivation to keep enjoying life is to look at how boring most adult lives are especially the ones with that attitude, they seem to have given up on living, to me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I think AGS have a lot to do with the current situation. They see their role as evidence gatherers. They frequently dismiss video evidence as being insufficient on its own with no reason given. Then when it suits them, they appeal to the public for dash cam footage to help them with an investigation or go on Crimecall with CCTV footave seeking information on the ID of somebody.

CCTV either is or is not evidence.
    I think there is a cultural resistance to active citizenship withi AGS. They really don't like the idea that people (especially people on two wheels) are actually taking action to drive particular outcomes.

They tend to miss the key point that cyclists wouldn't bother their ass taking the time to navigate through the cumbersome procedure if there was any real level of enforcement of traffic laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Well, thats the closest I've come to been wiped out earlier. Happened here:

https://goo.gl/maps/YoAShjXgRVmxs5nT9

I was approaching from Dunboyne, indicating and turning right. Saw a SUV approaching from my left - she was going straight through and I had right of way. Saw at the last minute she was on a mobile phone and completely oblivious - those types that hold the mobile out from their mouth while she was talking and driving. I was in a day glow orange rain jacket, front strobe. I didn't even register with her and she didn't let off as she passed straight through the roundabout, right in front of me, i mean missing me by inches, as if it wasn't there. I was sure she was going to hit me - I let a guttural roar inches from the drivers window - fooooooooook - so hard, my throat still hurts. She didn't even flinch. Couldn't get her reg number, she was travelling too fast.

No one deserves this. Mobile phones are proven to be a huge distraction and danger on the roads and are contributing to hundreds of collisions, yet we still have complete tools driving around on them in their own little world, zero awareness and with total impunity.

• Advertisement

Knew before I clicked the link what kind of roundabout I was going to see. They're a pox.

Knew before I clicked the link what kind of roundabout I was going to see. They're a pox.

They should have a massive ramp on approach to each. People treat them like they dont exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Will check the camera later and see if there's anything worth posting, first two scrotes in training tried to block me on the canal I peddled as hard as I could and aimed for one and they jumped out of the way, they couldn't of been more than 10/11. Then a car overtakes me in the Adamstown road into on Artic, Attic flashes his lights and the car behind me decides it's my fault and beeps while driving up my arse so I took the middle of the.lane. I assuming he thought it was my fault as 100m of bike lane with 3 yields existed to my left. Just another day

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(This thankfully isn't my footage)
    Dublin Bus #37 performs a number of dangerous driving manouvres...

https://twitter.com/Dublin_Suzy/status/1214293583550959617

Looks like driving a 25 tonne vehicle responsibly is not for him / her.

Anywhere on my commute like that, I just take the lane, i''ll keep this up at least until drivers of huge vehicles learn to respect other vulnerable road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I don't cycle so much anymore as I now have a long commute, but the last few mornings I seem to be seeing a lot more kerb hugger cyclists than usual... a product of intimidation or are there a lot of inexperienced new years resolution cyclists out there, I'm not sure. I nearly feel like poking my head out of the car and telling them to take the lane more but I don't know if they'd appreciate the benevolent intentions of a driver shouting at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

benjamin d wrote: »
    I don't cycle so much anymore as I now have a long commute, but the last few mornings I seem to be seeing a lot more kerb hugger cyclists than usual... a product of intimidation or are there a lot of inexperienced new years resolution cyclists out there, I'm not sure. I nearly feel like poking my head out of the car and telling them to take the lane more but I don't know if they'd appreciate the benevolent intentions of a driver shouting at them!

I saw a thing of beauty this morning with a guy taking the lane going down by the Central Bank and Westmoreland Street. He did it very confidently and kept two taxis from skimming by him.

It can be fairly easy to get intimidated by taxis there, particularly in the stretch infront of the central bank, i've been beeped at a few times by taxis along there and they've intimated that i should be in the bus lane on the left with fooking buses up ahead blocking it, or some other dickwad parked in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I took the bus yesterday and while waiting at Aston quay it was shocking to see the buses cut up the cyclists when pulling into the bus stop. Crazy overtaking and left hooking rather than pull in behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

5uspect wrote: »
    I took the bus yesterday and while waiting at Aston quay it was shocking to see the buses cut up the cyclists when pulling into the bus stop. Crazy overtaking and left hooking rather than pull in behind.

I've wondered whether Dublin Bus drivers are trained about negotiating around cyclists. Had a 140 thunder past me this morning along by Glasnevin cemetery as I was in the on-road painted in cycle lane. If I reached out I could've touched the bus. There was no oncoming traffic so he could've easily pulled out a couple of feet.

Any Dublin Drivers on here that could confirm they get trained about how to overtake someone on a bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

De Bhál wrote: »
    I've wondered whether Dublin Bus drivers are trained about negotiating around cyclists. Had a 140 thunder past me this morning along by Glasnevin cemetery as I was in the on-road painted in cycle lane. If I reached out I could've touched the bus. There was no oncoming traffic so he could've easily pulled out a couple of feet.

Any Dublin Drivers on here that could confirm they get trained about how to overtake someone on a bike?

Wouldn’t make a difference how they’re trained, if the culture among drivers is to skim cyclists etc then no amount of training will make a difference.

They know they’re paying untouchable so why care.

Ah thats harsh I've had my run ins with bus drivers (Dublin and private) but by and large most are courteous. @De Bhal submit a Subject Access Request to DB get the footage then submit a complaint to them. You won't hear the outcome but at the very least it will be recorded against him and he might think twice then next time. I've done it twice in 3 years and had some satisfaction.

5uspect wrote: »

I cycle that daily. Take the lane every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nice young lady pulls straight out onto roundabout without looking for traffic, in her attempt to further block up the yellow box;

https://streamable.com/cso9x

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tnegun wrote: »
    Ah thats harsh I've had my run ins with bus drivers (Dublin and private) but by and large most are courteous. @De Bhal submit a Subject Access Request to DB get the footage then submit a complaint to them. You won't hear the outcome but at the very least it will be recorded against him and he might think twice then next time. I've done it twice in 3 years and had some satisfaction.

Have a friend who drives for DB, he said it is just in some of them, they hate cyclists. Others don't care, just do the job, do it well and they treat cyclists with respect as it is the right thing to do (these are the majority in my experience although the former group is far more memorable), the last group love cycling and dangerously slow down to check out what your on, he falls into this group :eek:

When the pro's have to apologise for close passing cars https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mathis-apologises-for-close-pass-on-car-during-training-ride/

I don't care what level you are at this could have been some bike riding and life ending stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

Nice young lady pulls straight out onto roundabout without looking for traffic, in her attempt to further block up the yellow box;

What a ****ing mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was that cyclist not undertaking traffic on a roundabout?

I see two lanes and a cyclist heading up the middle of two cars on a roundabout. Recipe for getting himself/herself cleaned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lawred2 wrote: »

?

In the right turn lane, turning right?

There is no law stating that you must be the sole occupier of the horizontal space of your lane.

Idleater wrote: »
    ?

In the right turn lane, turning right?

There is no law stating that you must be the sole occupier of the horizontal space of your lane.

Did I say anything about a law? But you're not going to be the most visible road user coming from behind and between vehicles on a roundabout.

Idiots pull out on to junction boxes every minute of the day. Every road user has to deal with it.

Did I say anything about a law? But you're not going to be the most visible road user coming from behind and between vehicles on a roundabout.

Idiots pull out on to junction boxes every minute of the day. Every road user has to deal with it.

Would she have done the same if it was another car?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Would she have done the same if it was another car?

Well clearly she did as she was pulling out in front of another car already waiting at the junction box. The cyclist arrived after an already waiting car no!? And from behind that waiting car.

But this is what idiots do every day up and down the land where junction boxes are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was that cyclist not undertaking

3a9096bd927f56b50c401a4ef8c15e95.jpg

I see two lanes and a cyclist heading up the middle of two cars on a roundabout. Recipe for getting himself/herself cleaned out.

I believe its called filtering and nothing wrong with it so long as you have your wits about you, are observant and anticipate stuff like this it's less dangerous than joining free flowing traffic around the roundabout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

legally, AFAIK, it's called overtaking on the left and is explicitly allowed when a cyclist is moving faster than slow moving motorised traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

legally, AFAIK, it's called overtaking on the left and is explicitly allowed when a cyclist is moving faster than slow moving motorised traffic.

ye seems to be - although if I were cycling down there I would almost expect it - its usually a free-for-all at that point (or any Dublin rush hour round-a-bout..)

I like the way the sound seems to cut out during the gesticulating part of the clip :D

Advertisement