Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

VonLuck wrote: »
    Video is unavailable now. Must have taken it down if s/he was on the receiving end of abuse. What happened?

Clearly he assumed all his motorist buddies would pile on in support and admiration but common sense prevailed

Edit: sorry I thought you meant what happened to the video not in it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It was a deliveroo cyclist travelling along Dublins North quays in the new segregated cycle lane (on the RHS of the road). At a junction the driver who wanted to turn right had to give way to the cyclist who was travelling straight ahead.
    The cyclist had right of way and yet the driver with their piss poor skills and knowledge figured that they would demonstrate this ignorance to others hoping for those others to like their obvious stupidity.
    They didn't though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Glad to hear it. Was there even a hint of remorse or enlightenment from the uploader with his new-found understanding?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he got roundly roasted, and deleted his video without comment or admission that he may have been in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This was the last post from him https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116024826&postcount=2255

"How was anyone supposed to know where the cyclist was going". Lol.

• Advertisement

Not just a Morlock, a Grunt Morlock at that.

And the old "I do cycle in fact" for good measure :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

micar wrote: »
    This was put up in the dash cam in the motorist section.

The YouTube description say "deliveroo cyclists......are a bane to motorists and here is why"

Thankfully the poster (who's also the driver) hasn't got any support.
    i've been watching a few dashcam compilations of late, on an english youtube channel, and the amusing part is 90% of the comments is people enjoying the irony of so many people sending videos in which reveal their *own* colossal idiocy. they send the video in clearly with the intent of a 'look at this dose' reaction, and they're the dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Glad to hear it. Was there even a hint of remorse or enlightenment from the uploader with his new-found understanding?

Zero chance.

Not interested in what is right or wrong, only interested in targetting someone they look down on - and getting lots of 'likes' from people of a similar mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Zero chance.
    Deleted when randomers on youtube started heavy on the thumbs down and asking was he joking or a muppet.

'lots of likes' being 'none'.
    certainly on the dashcam thread, but not sure if you're referring to youtube?
    he didn't get a single thanks on the post with the video, or any subsequent posts justifying his stance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

he didn't get a single thanks on the post with the video, or any subsequent posts justifying his stance.

I was referring to youtube, 4 thumbs up, alot more thumbs down.

whoops, you posted between me and Tombo2001, whose post i was replying to.

He must be due an annual visit to this forum to object to stuff like the Strand Road cycle lane or bike sharing schemes..."as a cyclist" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

i've been watching a few dashcam compilations of late, on an english youtube channel, and the amusing part is 90% of the comments is people enjoying the irony of so many people sending videos in which reveal their *own* colossal idiocy. they send the video in clearly with the intent of a 'look at this dose' reaction, and they're the dose.

That is also a guilty pleasure of mine - figuring out the ToTW before going to the comments.

as commented on the dashcam thread over in the motors forum, they probably deliberately salt those compilations with them because that drives (pun unintended) views.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got a call from Gardai in relation to my complaint of a very near miss and guy then trying to push me off my bike. Offered my a fine & pts and a caution or could go to court.

They agreed that if he disputes it and says I hit his car they'll just say it proves he was too close. Happy to go with the fine, because court is his word against mine, and could get someone like Nolan or Zaidan who will find a reason to believe I was somehow wrong.

First time using trafficwatch, and only did it because of his reaction, but happy enough with that.

Zaidan is no friend of the motorist don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

And Nolan is in the Circuit Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weepsie wrote: »
    Got a call from Gardai in relation to my complaint of a very near miss and guy then trying to push me off my bike. Offered my a fine & pts and a caution or could go to court.

They agreed that if he disputes it and says I hit his car they'll just say it proves he was too close. Happy to go with the fine, because court is his word against mine, and could get someone like Nolan or Zaidan who will find a reason to believe I was somehow wrong.

First time using trafficwatch, and only did it because of his reaction, but happy enough with that.

The points are the bigger impact than the fine. He'll be thinking of you fondly for each of his next three insurance renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

The points are the bigger impact than the fine. He'll be thinking of you fondly for each of his next three insurance renewals.

And the half a dozen reg checks on Pulse against his vehicle won't help if he decides to go for a repeat anytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    One for Trafficwatch on Monday morning:

Remembered to follow up with the Garda today - points and a fine issued.

That's the most satisfactory result I've gotten from reporting, and it's the only time I haven't gone through TrafficWatch. Part of me wonders if they take you more seriously when you go to the effort of showing up at the station to make the complaint straight off, but it's probably just luck of the draw.

did you get any 'why weren't you on the cycle path?' from the gardai?

Well done.

Will it have any positive effect, or will it sour that auld lad's attitude towards cyclists in the future......who knows, but it had to be done ��

did you get any 'why weren't you on the cycle path?' from the gardai?

No, I don't think they picked up on it when I showed them the video, and they didn't know the area that well.

I was forthright about it when making the statement, explained that it wasn't a great section of cycle lane, but they didn't see it as an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

buffalo wrote: »
    That's the most satisfactory result I've gotten from reporting, and it's the only time I haven't gone through TrafficWatch. Part of me wonders if they take you more seriously when you go to the effort of showing up at the station to make the complaint straight off, but it's probably just luck of the draw.
    Funny you say that my experience has been the exact same, traffic watch just adds an extra layer and hassle of having to arrange to meet the guard it assigned to where as if you do it in person everything is done in one maybe two visits if you've to drop in a USB of the footage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tnegun wrote: »
    ...if you've to drop in a USB of the footage.
    I've recently been giving them the video via streamable.com as I'm too tight to be buying us keys just to give them away - so far I've never been refused.

I've recently been giving them the video via streamable.com as I'm too tight to be buying us keys just to give them away - so far I've never been refused.

I was asked to crop the video to the bare minimum and email it. I think I had to get it down to about 1.5-2 seconds before it was successfully received.

But no bounce message when it was too large, so I got a phone call from a Garda wondering why I hadn't sent in the video a week later.

In the past, I had a Garda who used their phone to record the video playing on my laptop.

Edit: I offered a link to youTube or Vimeo, but they said the Garda computers wouldn't allow access to those sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

fatbhoy wrote: »
    A couple of friends said to me that sorry isn't good enough, and the more I thought about it the more I agreed. So I reported it to the Gardai with a view to claiming off his insurance for the medical charge and a set of scuffed pedals. The Garda said she'd pass on his insurance details to me so I can claim.

Just mentioning this in case it happens to someone else.

Update: the manager of the Dominos branch paid for new pedals and the A&E charge today; took about a day, so they were really quick and easy to deal with. Although I had to sign a waiver letter saying there would be no further expenses or liability, but I was happy to sign it.

Right call made there, you were dead right. Why should you be out of pocket due to someone else's negligence. You hear people going on about claim culture that certainly isn't it.

Our local domino's is a fatality waiting to happen, it's right next to a T junction and drivers regularly fly in and out crossing a footpath coming the wrong side of the road to get a short cut to the delivery entrance/carpark.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7130872,-6.3462745,3a,75y,194.48h,87.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdAZqtazxzPZslgyojD5jfQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DdAZqtazxzPZslgyojD5jfQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D150.36415%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I've 2 emails saved complaining about this in the event something ever happens there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Right call made there, you were dead right. Why should you be out of pocket due to someone else's negligence. You hear people going on about claim culture that certainly isn't it.

Our local domino's is a fatality waiting to happen, it's right next to a T junction and drivers regularly fly in and out crossing a footpath coming the wrong side of the road to get a short cut to the delivery entrance/carpark.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7130872,-6.3462745,3a,75y,194.48h,87.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdAZqtazxzPZslgyojD5jfQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DdAZqtazxzPZslgyojD5jfQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D150.36415%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I've 2 emails saved complaining about this in the event something ever happens there.

Sounded like my local Domino.......and is actually is.

Absolutely crazy how they drive in and out.

Was driving up the Dublin rd coming passed the St Mary's church .....I was in the right hand lane ...some prick flew passed me on left and pulled across the front of me to take thd right turn up Mary's Street....low and behold he drove into the back of Dominos.

I felt like ringing down when I got home to complain.

Always so careful crossing the road there with the dog .... you just never know a car is going to come from.

You're right...there is going to be an accident there one day

Advertisement